• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Day as Signaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack907

Hi guys,

I start my employment with Network Rail in the next couple of weeks (Signaller Grade 2) and have been told I will be based at the maintenance depot for my first week then off to signalling school.

Might sound like a strange question but what should I wear? Don't want to turn up in a suit and feel overdressed?

What should I expect for my first week, I would imagine lots of paperwork?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

you must have contact details for HR or the LOM by now? I would recommend asking them.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
There'll be some paperwork and having a look round the local railway geography, as well as the signalbox you'll be working in and hopefully the so-called fringe boxes as well.
It might be worth asking your LOM, however I turned up in a suit on the first day and no-one seemed to mind, better overdressed than underdressed to my mind. That said I didn't feel the need to wear a suit on the second day, so long as you look relatively smart I don't think it should matter too much

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Forget the suit!! Smart casual and a good pair of shoes, as you will probably be doing some walking, looking at your Box and the fringe Boxes to yours.

TomBoyd

By looking at one of your old posts from 2013 funnily enough it seems I have your old job

I've just been staring at the screen for 5 minutes trying to remember the name...

Tiny box in the middle of nowhere actually located on a cattle farm, yet still smells worse inside than outside? Colleague called Gordon?

CLAYDON JUNCTION!?

Hack907

I've just been staring at the screen for 5 minutes trying to remember the name...

Tiny box in the middle of nowhere actually located on a cattle farm, yet still smells worse inside than outside? Colleague called Gordon?

CLAYDON JUNCTION!?

That's the one, I haven't actually been to the box yet so was un aware of the smell issue but thanks for the heads up lol

TomBoyd

That's the one, I haven't actually been to the box yet so was un aware of the smell issue but thanks for the heads up lol

haha! Well, congratulations. The LOM is fantastic, very supportive.

My only advice is: pass out as quickly as you possibly can.

MylesHSG

Lol. Didn't know Claydon smelt like Cattle! Speak to "Obi-Wan" there, we went to signalling school together.

Status
Not open for further replies.