• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First electric loco at swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
The 90 isn’t going to be powering the train - it is just a vehicle with an instrumented pantograph. The usual OHLE measuring vehicles (Mentor + the equivalent in the NMT) are our of action at present; so NR have improvised.

The 67s will power the train.

On the off topic point of whether the GW electrification is insulated from the rest of the network - there is no electrified connection to the rest of the railway from the GW at present. While there is a connection from North Pole depot to the West London Line, it is no longer electrified; and even when it was it was 750V DC 3rd rail, not 25kV AC OHLE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
The 90 isn’t going to be powering the train - it is just a vehicle with an instrumented pantograph
For this morning's run I saw a chap putting a light over the Mk3 corridor connection pointing up at the place where the pantograph head should be. They seemed to have problems raising the pan but got there in the end.

A class 91 would have been towed through Swindon in June 1991 as there was a 91 with mk4s and DVT on display at St Philips Marsh depot in Bristol when St Philips Marsh / Bath Road depots held a joint open day. I remember it well as people were allowed into the coaches and it was the first time I saw a pay phone fitted in a train, which at the time I thought was amazing.

apinnard

My assumption is for panning tests and measurements of the OLE under *that* bridge at Steventon (that's caused all the strife with the GW electrification programme), to see if speeds higher than 110mph can be undertaken. The fact that the NMT is out of action (maintenance) and MENTOR (NR's OLE measurement coach) is covering for the NMT might be a plausible explanation.

Is MENTOR capable of being hauled at over 100? Surely with such a small consist its 75mph max?

GazK

For anyone wanting to know what this train is actually for - rather than some of the fairly wild rumours posted here and elsewhere - I can commend my twitter thread here: https://twitter.com/25kV/status/1195098952833601538?s=19

And no, the class 90 won't be working this train on its own in the near future. 67012 is a bit poorly and both engines need refueling.

GazK

CORRECTION: it is now clear to me that the class 90 *can* haul this train, and may indeed do so quite soon. Apologies for misleading.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I believe this set is now being used in Wales to test the OHLE between the Severn Tunnel and Newport. I'd like to see it for myself and might have a chance to go to Newport on Friday or Saturday. Anyone know if and when it is running this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.