First generation AC EMUs on the GEML/Lea Valley

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by 90sWereBetter, 21 Sep 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smod

Smod Member

I have found a timetable from 1959 that shows the pattern I described - two Southend and 1 Chelmsford per hour (stopping at Stratford, Ilford Romford...) and one Southend running fast to Shenfield. I have also found a timetable from 1972 showing 3 Southend trains and the Shenfield to Chelmsford shuttle as described above. My recollection is that the 1959 pattern continued well into the 1960s (I wouldn't remember anything from 1959!).

Yes the timings of the 309s were most impressive.

2. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

There was a full article about this in an old Modern Railways magazine, just at the end of their old small format so likely 1964. It describes the detailed operation of this sequence. Notable was how the Ilford/Gidea Park frequency was greater than now, although the biggest decline has to be in the Chingford peak hour service which had two 9-car trains every 10 minutes, one nonstop to St James Street Walthamstow.

The magazine article I seem to recall that some services could be run by either the 306 with sliding doors, or the more modern 305/308 with slam doors, and signalmen had to be cautious with the latter in a signal stop at a platform like Stratford, where if people started opening doors to get in a nonstop which had a momentary red, it could cause great disruption.

3. delt1c

delt1c Member

It was actually an ex WR Intercity 123 Buffet that was used

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.