• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First get into bed with Cityfox

Status
Not open for further replies.

THarris123

Established Member
Interesting little read this about a new initiative from First bus in Bristol.

It appears from the Cityfox Facebook page that First have now teamed up with them to provide the below service (Rhys is pictured in the photo). This isn't mentioned in the article below, but Cityfox confirm on their Facebook page they have been the chosen operator.

See the following link for Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1889830774369176&id=1009962219022707
We had a fantastic day yesterday at the launch of My First Mile along with our partners from First West of England and Esoterix Systems Limited. We are delighted to be the chosen operator. This exciting project opens up more travelling opportunities and is designed to create ‘last mile’ links between residential areas and their nearby trunk bus routes. For more information about the service please visit www.myfirstmile.co.uk

The only competitors (or potential) now left are Wessex and Stagecoach that First haven't teamed up with in some manner.

Wonder if by working with First this means Rhys is now allowed on First property?

https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-...st-bristol-launches-new-service-encourage-car

First Bristol launches new service to encourage car commuters to catch the bus … by giving them a cab ride first!
My First Mile Launch Event

Unique collaboration with Bristol-based innovator Esoterix Systems to trial UK’s first cross-modal public transport in Bristol

Don’t you hate spending too much time stuck in traffic during the morning commute and then going round in circles looking for a place to drop your car near work? Or know that feeling when you want to catch the bus, but the bus stop is just that bit too far to walk? A brand-new mode of transport being trialled in Bristol is looking to change all that.

Local bus operator First West of England has joined forces with Bristol-based technology start-up Esoterix Systems to make people’s morning commute quicker by transporting people by taxi from a pick-up point near their home to a bus stop where they can hop on a bus and get to work without having to worry about parking.

Starting from Tuesday 15th May, in a trial said to be the first of its kind in the UK, people living in Henleaze and Westbury Park walk - no more than 250 yards from their doorstep - to 1 of 25 pick-up points dotted around the area. Here, a hackney-style ride-sharing cab will transport them to the Nevil Road or Ashley Down Road bus stops on A38 Gloucester Road, from where high frequency buses provide direct transport to UWE, Filton Abbey Wood and other businesses in the northern fringe of Bristol or to the City Centre.

The evening return journey is even better, with passengers getting off the bus near the Co-op supermarket from where one of the ‘MYFIRSTMILE’ branded vehicles will depart and drop them off at home, using the most optimal route to drop off multiple passengers.

James Freeman, Managing Director of First West of England, says

This is a great and innovative way of helping commuters who live too far from a bus stop to use the bus. By bringing a service closer to their homes, their daily commute is easier. Plus, there’s no need to waste time looking for a place to park or pay for parking.

He added:

Technology and new data sources represent a tremendous opportunity for improving transport. The time is right for bus companies to work with innovators to improve existing services and design new ones, attracting new customers. MYFIRSTMILE is just one of the ways we’re exploring innovative ways to allow people go about their lives using smarter ways to travel by bus.

Before the public launch of the trial, a closed trial took place with selected participants to test the service and the app in preparation for a public launch. One of those trialling the service said: “I’ve never felt more in control of my morning commute”.

An integrated smartphone app covers journey planning and secure payment for both MYFIRSTMILE cab plus bus journeys across First’s Bristol Inner Zone network. The service will operate between 06:00 and 10:30 in the morning and between 15:00 and 20:00 in the evening on weekdays, excluding bank holidays. The service will benefit commuters in particular, but is open to anyone who lives in the trial area and uses the MYFIRSTMILE app.

Henleaze and Westbury Park was selected as trial area after Esoterix Systems’ rigorous analysis of anonymised mobile phone data showed that over 900 smartphone users all commute (approximately half by car) to UWE and other Northern Bristol businesses in areas that are also directly served by First Bristol services from Gloucester Road stops.

Liz Davidson, Chief Marketing Officer of Esoterix Systems, the company behind the service, said:

The analysis and behind this service involves the cutting-edge application of new technologies and data sources, including service simulations and anonymised mobile network data to understand where there is sufficient potential demand for services.

She added:

We’re doing more than connecting transport services. By using the local Co-op supermarket as a ‘hub’, passengers can easily pop in for some groceries on the way home. And because they are dropped at home, they don’t have to carry them far.

Daily travel costs just £6 all-inclusive but can be as low as £4.45 per day with a monthly pass and access to the First Bristol Inner Zone network is included. While MYFIRSTMILE doesn’t operate on weekends or bank holidays, MYFIRSTMILE week and month passes do allow travel on First’ bus services operating in the First Bristol Inner Zone network on those days. As part of the launch offer, users downloading the MYFIRSTMILE app from the Apple App Store or Google Play can travel the first day for free.

MYFIRSTMILE is the result of a collaboration between First Bus, Esoterix Systems, Bristol City Council, Transport Systems Catapult and the University West of England. The consortium submitted a proposal to Innovate UK, the UK Government’s innovation agency, to develop and implement new transport services. Local supermarket Co-opsupports the trial by making three parking bays available.

The trial will run until the end of September. If successful, MYFIRSTMILE may be rolled out to other areas of the city and the country as an effective way to improve public transport options and encourage people to use the bus.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ooo

I wonder if this would have been worth trying with the launch of Metrobus as many of the stops are away from houses while the bus service will be faster and more reliable so more attractive

embers25

Established Member
First shared a tweet from Cityfox providing this service. God luck to them both.

nesw

I’d imagine that Mr. Stockley had some influence with Mr. Freeman. The filings at companies house have often been late and companies left to lapse and be ‘compulsory struck off’.
Mr. Hand’s reputation is perminatly tainted but then there’s plenty of others in business with the same credentials.

carlberry

Established Member
Interesting little read this.
First have now teamed up with Cityfox.

The only competitors (or potential) left are now Wessex and Stagecoach that First haven't teamed up with.

Wonder if this means Rhys is now allowed on First property?

https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-...st-bristol-launches-new-service-encourage-car
The article dosent mention Cityfox and there's loads of companies in Bristol with more than one bus (which is all Cityfox ever had) that First haven't teamed up with.

PhilStockley

I’d imagine that Mr. Stockley had some influence with Mr. Freeman.

I can assure you it had nothing at all to do with me. Rhys initially responded to a tender opportunity, won fair and square and having been selected has contributed significantly to the product development - a point James Freeman made very graciously in his remarks at the launch.

There is nothing to be gained by regurgitating old arguments. If your opinion is set in stone forever that is entirely your prerogative. My First Mile is an innovative and exciting multi-agency project and I hope that most observers - whatever their historical views of the participants - would see this as a positive step.

Wonder if this means Rhys is now allowed on First property?

That's a good question! I think he's got round it so far by having the meetings at CityFox HQ, but hopefully when the inevitable invitation to Lawrence Hill arrives, he won't have to resort to shouting through the fence 8-):lol:

PhilStockley

Also, sorry to double post but I forgot this bit...

I wonder if this would have been worth trying with the launch of Metrobus as many of the stops are away from houses while the bus service will be faster and more reliable so more attractive

My understanding is that the various participants (including UWE who have done much of the data crunching, as well as First themselves) see Metrobus as the key area of opportunity, so you've actually hit the nail on the head - and this is a point that was made repeatedly by the speakers at the launch event. The current trial area should be seen very much as that - a trial from which the lessons learned will inform any future applications based around Metrobus.

RhysHand

Lets just focus on the important thing here, a new innovative way of connecting people with buses, thus giving services and routes more of a chance to remain viable. I am far to busy with exciting new developments and expansion within the business to be worrying about who's property I may or may not be welcome on.

nesw

Lets just focus on the important thing here, a new innovative way of connecting people with buses, thus giving services and routes more of a chance to remain viable. I am far to busy with exciting new developments and expansion within the business to be worrying about who's property I may or may not be welcome on.

That’s us told!

By the way, your Cityfox Bus limited is down for compulsory strike off.

carlberry

Established Member
It's good to see all the major groups trying variations on the 'disruptor' theme however it’s pushing it to call any of it new, other than using more modern technology. In some ways this combines the disadvantages of a taxi (cost) and the bus (waiting around for it(inbound)/changing to it (outbound), shared journey and frequent stops). Obviously it’s aimed at new users however, having been sold on the idea, they’re just as likely to find somebody in the same area doing the same kind of journey (in the taxi that they’re sharing) and decide to share an Uber (who managed to reduce the costs of taxis by making the driver much cheaper).

Metrobus obviously offers the ability to reduce the frequent stops bit but the reduced frequency makes the inbound journey more problematic.

None of which is intended to take away from the positivity of First trying something different, even to the extent of getting the Post to print a positive story about buses (Ok, that last bit might be pushing the boundaries!).

THarris123

Established Member
I can assure you it had nothing at all to do with me. Rhys initially responded to a tender opportunity, won fair and square and having been selected has contributed significantly to the product development - a point James Freeman made very graciously in his remarks at the launch.

There is nothing to be gained by regurgitating old arguments. If your opinion is set in stone forever that is entirely your prerogative. My First Mile is an innovative and exciting multi-agency project and I hope that most observers - whatever their historical views of the participants - would see this as a positive step.

That's a good question! I think he's got round it so far by having the meetings at CityFox HQ, but hopefully when the inevitable invitation to Lawrence Hill arrives, he won't have to resort to shouting through the fence 8-):lol:
Thanks for coming back Phil.

This is a good positive step for the taxi industry and for passengers/potential passengers, but not so much for bus services. If this is successful, then bus services such as 36 will be cut out.

Its innovative, but I'm hopeful that it won't result in major cutbacks in the bus services across the city.

Also can you confirm if you are still with Cityfox?

THarris123

Established Member
Thank you for taking a moment of your busy time to reply.
I hope this will be a success, but I hope it doesn't disadvantage current bus users and result in major cutbacks on services which result in an adverse effect on existing passengers.

PhilStockley

This is a good positive step for the taxi industry and for passengers/potential passengers, but not so much for bus services. If this is successful, then bus services such as 36 will be cut out.

Your concern is understandable, but I think (and hope) misplaced.

My First Mile is deliberately and carefully targeted at gaps in the core bus network - in places where significant areas of population lie some distance from frequent bus routes. It is designed to appeal to a segment of the market that probably wouldn't regard low density routes such as the 36 as being particularly relevant for their needs, and therefore aren't currently using it, and is therefore designed to offer something different. By contrast existing users of routes such as 36 are unlikely to find a product like My First Mile to offer them anything better than they currently have. There is certainly no expectation that users of the 36 will transfer en masse to the new product.

Looking for a parallel, where Arriva have introduced Arriva Click in Sittingbourne, there is some anecdotal evidence that that has damaged local services, but in that case Arriva Click offers a door to door service whereas My First Mile is deliberately designed to feed existing routes and not to replace anything.

While I note your comment that it benefits taxi companies, it's a product that has been designed primarily by First as a way of strengthening their own network - not as a taxi product per se. It's a sign of mature transport companies realising that competition between public transport modes is not always the best approach, and that to attract more users to the public transport network overall, it is important for modes to work together to provide a seamless experience. For me, that's why it's so exciting.

Clearly it's not in the interests of First or the City Council for routes such as 36 to suffer so I'm sure they will be watching very closely to see what happens. The important thing to bear in mind is that it's a trial. Generally speaking, the only way to find out how a new product will work in the market - good or bad - is to try it, and that's exactly what's happening here. But I can't stress strongly enough that this is about growth - it's designed to offer something new and different to attract new users, not to replace anything that's there at the moment.

My main Monday to Friday 9 to 5 employment is with HCT Group (CT Plus). I'm based in London but work across the country on a variety of commercial and business development projects. Indeed as I write this I'm on a train back from Leeds to Southampton after a day of looking at new contract opportunities for CT Plus Yorkshire.

However, although I work for HCT Group full time, I'm technically a consultant (self employed) so I have some freedom to do other things. Hence among other things I drive rail replacement buses for Reading Buses and Dekkabus at weekends, do special event and traffic management work for Wheelers Travel (Southampton) and CES from time to time and write the odd magazine article and such like. However, I do stay very much in close contact with Rhys and continue to guide and advise CityFox, popping over to Bristol whenever I find time! Over the last two years I am proud to have watched Rhys and the business grow and mature and feel that the ability of CityFox to play on the same stage as the likes of First, UWE and Transport Systems Catapult is evidence of this progress. For as long as Rhys feels that I have something to contribute I will continue to be there to support him!

Bit of a long winded answer but hope that helps!

carlberry

Established Member
Thanks for coming back Phil.

Its innovative, but I'm hopeful that it won't result in major cutbacks in the bus services across the city.

I really cant see that this threatens existing, viable, services. If the 36 isn't making money then First will cut/stop it, otherwise they'll carry on with it as even replacing it with minibuses will increase costs. Trying to replace it with taxis would just increase costs with the potential of losing passengers who dont want to be treated as parcels to be transfered between vehicles. It may threaten subsidised services however similar schemes have been tried over the years (in rural areas) which tend to go in circles with a big launch to tell people how good they are, a review when it's realised how expensive the scheme is and another big launch when they're replaced with a couple of fixed journeys every other Friday without the fun fair is in town.

THarris123

Established Member
Your concern is understandable, but I think (and hope) misplaced.

My First Mile is deliberately and carefully targeted at gaps in the core bus network - in places where significant areas of population lie some distance from frequent bus routes. It is designed to appeal to a segment of the market that probably wouldn't regard low density routes such as the 36 as being particularly relevant for their needs, and therefore aren't currently using it, and is therefore designed to offer something different. By contrast existing users of routes such as 36 are unlikely to find a product like My First Mile to offer them anything better than they currently have. There is certainly no expectation that users of the 36 will transfer en masse to the new product.

Looking for a parallel, where Arriva have introduced Arriva Click in Sittingbourne, there is some anecdotal evidence that that has damaged local services, but in that case Arriva Click offers a door to door service whereas My First Mile is deliberately designed to feed existing routes and not to replace anything.

While I note your comment that it benefits taxi companies, it's a product that has been designed primarily by First as a way of strengthening their own network - not as a taxi product per se. It's a sign of mature transport companies realising that competition between public transport modes is not always the best approach, and that to attract more users to the public transport network overall, it is important for modes to work together to provide a seamless experience. For me, that's why it's so exciting.

Clearly it's not in the interests of First or the City Council for routes such as 36 to suffer so I'm sure they will be watching very closely to see what happens. The important thing to bear in mind is that it's a trial. Generally speaking, the only way to find out how a new product will work in the market - good or bad - is to try it, and that's exactly what's happening here. But I can't stress strongly enough that this is about growth - it's designed to offer something new and different to attract new users, not to replace anything that's there at the moment.

My main Monday to Friday 9 to 5 employment is with HCT Group (CT Plus). I'm based in London but work across the country on a variety of commercial and business development projects. Indeed as I write this I'm on a train back from Leeds to Southampton after a day of looking at new contract opportunities for CT Plus Yorkshire.

However, although I work for HCT Group full time, I'm technically a consultant (self employed) so I have some freedom to do other things. Hence among other things I drive rail replacement buses for Reading Buses and Dekkabus at weekends, do special event and traffic management work for Wheelers Travel (Southampton) and CES from time to time and write the odd magazine article and such like. However, I do stay very much in close contact with Rhys and continue to guide and advise CityFox, popping over to Bristol whenever I find time! Over the last two years I am proud to have watched Rhys and the business grow and mature and feel that the ability of CityFox to play on the same stage as the likes of First, UWE and Transport Systems Catapult is evidence of this progress. For as long as Rhys feels that I have something to contribute I will continue to be there to support him!

Bit of a long winded answer but hope that helps!
Answers a lot. Thanks for that Phil.

embers25

Established Member
Rhys/Phil, can you clarify, on the evening return journey does the taxi feeder still only stop at the fixed bus stops along the route or will it be a door to door drop off which would be a big incentive for those with shopping etc?

RhysHand

Rhys/Phil, can you clarify, on the evening return journey does the taxi feeder still only stop at the fixed bus stops along the route or will it be a door to door drop off which would be a big incentive for those with shopping etc?

The latter. The service sits in the Cooperative car park on Gloucester Road, and then leaves when passengers need to get home. Because it isn't a registered bus service, we can simply drop them where they please.

RhysHand

Thank you for taking a moment of your busy time to reply.
I hope this will be a success, but I hope it doesn't disadvantage current bus users and result in major cutbacks on services which result in an adverse effect on existing passengers.

We do too. Although, this is more to compliment existing services improving access and making those services more viable rather than replace.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The latter. The service sits in the Cooperative car park on Gloucester Road, and then leaves when passengers need to get home. Because it isn't a registered bus service, we can simply drop them where they please.

Out of interest, as separate fares are charged rather than a fare for the vehicle, what legal framework does it operate under? Registered area-based DRT?

RhysHand

Out of interest, as separate fares are charged rather than a fare for the vehicle, what legal framework does it operate under? Registered area-based DRT?

I will ask our Jake our Business Development Manager that question as I have not directly been involved with the fare structure. They are just standard Hackney Carriages, so there is no legal obligation to stick to a timetable or routes as a bus would need to do. So we can operate flexible connections to match customer demand.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I will ask our Jake our Business Development Manager that question as I have not directly been involved with the fare structure. They are just standard Hackney Carriages, so there is no legal obligation to stick to a timetable or routes as a bus would need to do. So we can operate flexible connections to match customer demand.

Cheers, it would be interesting to know.

PhilStockley

I'm not Jake, but I'll do my best to answer this. Forgive me if I've misunderstood your question but you seem to be working on the assumption that the taxi feeder comes under the auspices of the PSV Operator Licensing regime (and everything that that brings with it in terms of local bus service registration etc).

Because the MFM feeder service uses taxi/private hire vehicles of 8 passenger seats or fewer (and indeed the tender was predicated on this requirement), the PSV Operator Licensing regime doesn't apply and instead the taxi/private hire licensing regime applies. This means that the service falls within scope of sections 10/11 of the Transport Act 1985 which explicitly allow taxis and PHVs to carry multiple passengers at separate fares (provided that certain conditions are met, predominantly around all the passengers being aware and giving consent).

Clearly if vehicles with 9 or more passenger seats were being used, they would fall under the PSV Operator Licensing regime and therefore some form of registration would be required.

Hope that helps!

richw

Veteran Member
Mr. Hand’s reputation is perminatly tainted but then there’s plenty of others in business with the same credentials.

I understand the taxi business has developed a decent reputation.
Consider as he’s grown older he’s matured? His recent postings here are certainly of a more mature nature.

embers25

Established Member

Which means happy customers and less dead mileage, win win! Thanks for all the info you and Phil have shared and hope this is successful and is the start of something much bigger as this has significant potential if the travelling public can be convinced..fingers crossed this marks the start of more joined up thinking from PT and taxi.

Status
Not open for further replies.