• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western 150/1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Hello, I recently took a trip to Cornwall, a full account of which can be found here:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66488

It was the first time I used one of FGW's 150/1s and I must say I was pleasently surprised. The 3+2 seating layout is poor; why they didn't remove the aisle seats on the "3" side during refurbishment, I don't know, but the actual seats themselves are actually very comfortable, more so than a 150/2, with slightly more legroom than a 150/2 also. What really won me over with these units though are the presence of proper 317/321 style door vestibules, as opposed to the 150/2s which basically just have holes in the side of the carriage :P
I didn't want to like the 150/1s, but actually they are very nice units, better than FGW's 150/2s imo.

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hello, I recently took a trip to Cornwall, a full account of which can be found here:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66488

It was the first time I used one of FGW's 150/1s and I must say I was pleasently surprised. The 3+2 seating layout is poor; why they didn't remove the aisle seats on the "3" side during refurbishment, I don't know, but the actual seats themselves are actually very comfortable, more so than a 150/2, with slightly more legroom than a 150/2 also. What really won me over with these units though are the presence of proper 317/321 style door vestibules, as opposed to the 150/2s which basically just have holes in the side of the carriage :P
I didn't want to like the 150/1s, but actually they are very nice units, better than FGW's 150/2s imo.
Adam :D
On transfer to FGW the DFT required them to retain 3+2 seating to provide extra capacity

455driver

Veteran Member
On transfer to FGW the DFT required them to retain 3+2 seating to provide extra capacity

Which is a load of rubbish because the middle seat is very rarely used so the seating is effectively 2+2 with less standing room.

But the bean counters can say that there are X number of extra seats when there are actually only Y number of used seats.

TEW

Established Member
Legroom is only better if you get a facing seat, the legroom in the airline seats is terrible, especially as many of the seats have equipment boxed under them. No tables, tip or fixed either which isn't great, especially when one turns up on a Portsmouth service with a trolley. Nowhere for your food to go then.

Status
Not open for further replies.