First Great Western timetable book

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by JoeM, 31 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeM

JoeM Member

Hi

I have heard that FGW produce a large book with all their services in it, but its only available from certain stations, and not by post - and being in Sunny Shropshire, none of those stations are easy to get to...so I was wondering, if I was to send the money (£3) plus the postage costs, is there anyone who could call into one of the stations and pick one up? The available stations are: Bath Spa, Bristol Parkway, Bristol TM, Cheltenham Spa, Exeter St David’s, Newbury, Oxford, Paddington, Penzance, Plymouth, Reading, Slough, Swindon, Taunton, Truro and Westbury - seems odd that none of the Welsh stations have it; a mate of mine works for Arriva and is in Cardiff quite a lot, so could have asked him.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

This book does exist; I have bought the last three copies of it!

Realistically FGW are unlikely to have any copies remaining with the new book less than two months away. (Which is annoying, because I accidentally SOAKED mine last night! <() Anyway, in practice you will probably have to wait until the new one comes in December and then make your way down to Cheltenham to pick it up, or ask your friend to head to Bristol/Cheltenham. (A lot easier than paying for P&P as well.) Put simply, they only stock it in FGW managed stations (with the exception of Paddington obviously). The same is true of at least SWT as well; only SWT managed stations (and presumably Waterloo also) sell the book.

Sorry ;)

4. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shouldn't be a problem then, seeing that you

:lol:

5. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

I bought the current timetable book at London Paddington back in may, the man who served me had to go searching for a copy as he didnt have any by his counter.

I have had problems trying to get a copy of the timetable books at Bristol Temple Meads for some reason they never have any in stock when i try to buy a copy yet Bristol Parkway always seems to have some available.

I must admit though I wish other operators such as ATW would produce a timetable book

6. TEW

TEW Established Member

The ticket office at Paddington is still run by FGW, hence it is also available there. I've never had a problem getting a copy in many different stations but they don't usually come in stock until around the date of the timetable change.

7. Liam

Liam Established Member

I used to have a few ScotRail ones, back when it was run by National Express. Not sure if First produce one now.

8. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What we could do with is a number of regional ones being published and maybe charge a fiver each. Operator-specific ones aren't always that useful in overlapping areas unless they list services operated buy the competition. The national one is too bulky to carry around.

Split the country down into five/six regions with overlapping areas appearing in both books and I think you then get a perfect solution.

9. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

Or even something like this maybe? ;)

10. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

I bought the current one from Oxford in early May before it was due out. I had gone in search of the one still in use at the time, and the clerk just happened to mention that the new ones had arrived that morning!

11. TEW

TEW Established Member

The FGW and SWT guides are very good in that they include other operators where relevant, they are effectively regional guides.

12. JoeM

JoeM Member

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling it might be a little late to get one now. However, I have been told that the new issue will be stocked at Cardiff Central, so hopefully my mate can call in for one.

13. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Who told you that?

14. JoeM

JoeM Member

Barry Doe

15. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The pdf of this timetable is available to download from the Severn Beach Line website:

http://severnbeachline.org/timetable.php

I haven't linked directly to it as it's a large pdf, so you may want to right click and save it, you need to click on the second link with Adobe Reader image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.