• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western to take fuel to depot by rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
But knowing FGW, they'd run out of fuel on the way.

Last time I ran out of fuel, control said there was a calculation error, which was of immense relief to all those passengers who all missed their flights.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
But knowing FGW, they'd run out of fuel on the way.

Last time I ran out of fuel, control said there was a calculation error, which was of immense relief to all those passengers who all missed their flights.

:lol:

But on a serious note, DBS do deliver fuel in tanks by rail every Tuesday on a Fawley to St Phillips Marsh/Laira/Long Rock train*. It goes to St Phillips Marsh, drops off the tanks (and maybe picks up the empties from last week) then heads to Plymouth.

* = I think it goes to Long Rock on a trip working or something, or maybe it goes to St Blazey...I can't remember if the tanks go west of Plymouth at all but it goes to Laira either case.
Unsure about Old Oak and Reading though.

There are other fuel jobs too, Westbury has a trial freight train from Immingham - Westbury where it's transfered to a truck for local deliveries, possibly to save having a truck come all the way from the North East...

KA4C

I think it goes to Long Rock on a trip working or something, or maybe it goes to St Blazey...I can't remember if the tanks go west of Plymouth at all but it goes to Laira either case.

Long Rock tanks currently run down on a Wed

Westbury has a trial freight train from Immingham - Westbury where it's transfered to a truck for local deliveries, .

Self discharge heating oil train

fgwrich

Established Member
Im not sure about OOC, but Reading certainly get's its fuel delivered by road - despite being in the middle of a Railway Triangle...But - Its nothing new as DB Has carried out deliveries by rail to Reading before, usually during engineering works such as last Christmases Cow Lane Bridge replacement.

By the way - Interesting Mk3 based DMU in the ITV Video... I didn’t realise the 442s seem to use diesel fuel too! :lol: :roll:

Beveridges

Established Member
At least someone gets their fuel delivered by Rail. BPN certainly doesnt, and my previous depot NH was by road as well & that had very high fuel usage.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Neville hill gets some by rail doesnt it i believe? i see the tanker trains comes through leeds sometimes.

DXMachina

:lol:

They're trying to flood the electrical apparatus with diesel to see if they work better that way... when all else fails...

That would probably work actually... high voltage radio equipment used to be operated within oil baths for cooling and reliability

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Will we need the Army to drive the trains as well then, I hope a feasibility study has been undertaken.

Why would we? It's road tanker drivers that might be going on strike not the employees of FOCs supplying fuel oil to railway depots (and also different unions Unite for the road tanker drivers ASLEF/RMT for the FOC drivers).

Im not sure about OOC, but Reading certainly get's its fuel delivered by road - despite being in the middle of a Railway Triangle...But - Its nothing new as DB Has carried out deliveries by rail to Reading before, usually during engineering works such as last Christmases Cow Lane Bridge replacement.

By the way - Interesting Mk3 based DMU in the ITV Video... I didn’t realise the 442s seem to use diesel fuel too! :lol: :roll:

OOC's fuel is delivered by road too, despite having two tight bends at it's entrance. I don't envy those tanker drivers.

DDB

Why don't all rail depots get their fuel delivered by rail? They are by definition all rail connected!

Was it all delivered by rail in BR days? How does the railway get away with going round trying to convince other companies to transport their supplies by rail when they were using road transport for bulk transport of fuel themselves?

Beveridges

Established Member
Neville hill gets some by rail doesnt it i believe? i see the tanker trains comes through leeds sometimes.

NH = Newton Heath not Neville Hill - which incidentally did away with their fuel trains once BR was privitised I believe and has 12 huge storage fuel tanks containing 360,000 litres of fuel oil - if filling those is not enough to justify a train I don't know what will.

How does the railway get away with going round trying to convince other companies to transport their supplies by rail when they were using road transport for bulk transport of fuel themselves?
Many, many railway goods are carried by road. Many TOC's Maintenance depot has all their supplies, DMU/EMU componants & Fuel delivered by Road.
When posessions are taken, engineering work on lines is often also by Road rather than rail, many times engineering work will be done on a line and not a single ballast train in sight! It all comes by road then loaded onto Road/Rail machines which "transform" into rail mode and start pushing/pulling 4 ballast wagons up & down the track! Never used to see that in the old days, seems to be a new trend.
Finally, locomotives and rolling stock are also frequently moved around by road. Even locomotives which are in an OK state to be "dragged".
If the UK railway does not even transport its own goods most of the time, theres not much hope for the rest of the freight types is there?

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I can confirm long rock is delivered by rail Wednesday afternoons, see the train most weeks passing Hayle, varies from just 1 wagon up to 5 or 6 wagons in tow

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

KA4C

I can confirm long rock is delivered by rail Wednesday afternoons, see the train most weeks passing Hayle, varies from just 1 wagon up to 5 or 6 wagons in tow

Didn't I say that somewhere up there in the mists of time?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
NH = Newton Heath not Neville Hill

I know i wasnt saying it as in proving you wrong, you said at least someone gets it delivered by rail and i was checking my understanding that Neville Hill did was correct. Neville Hill is NL ? (again i think :) )

lincolnshire

Fuel by Road, another of the hazards of privatization of the railways, back in B.R. days it was all one company, so no problems then. For example in B.R. days Cleethorpes had a fueling point just beyond the station, so a tank of fuel was delivered in the morning and off loaded over half of it into the store age tank then the loco would return and push it into a siding in the yard out of the way. Sets would be refueled overnight ready for the morning, later in the morning the loco would return and position the tank back to finish unloading its contents then take the tank away. All one company so cost were lower and train ran as a pick up service through to Cleethorpes picking up and dropping off freight.
Now due to privatization freight side is a different company to passenger side , so cost involved make it prohibitive to delivery by rail, as drivers would need route knowledge through to Cleethorpes as only freight at Grimsby area is on the docks nowhere near Grimsby station or Cleethorpes.
So when you look at other depots etc , now you see why its delivered by road as the most cost effective way for the amounts delivered. If you want it to change you could make this railway back into one big company again, see what shall we call it? British Rail? oe English Rail , Scottish Rail & Welsh Rail ( to keep some people happy).

D1009

Established Member
Fuel by Road, another of the hazards of privatization of the railways, back in B.R. days it was all one company, so no problems then. For example in B.R. days Cleethorpes had a fueling point just beyond the station, so a tank of fuel was delivered in the morning and off loaded over half of it into the store age tank then the loco would return and push it into a siding in the yard out of the way. Sets would be refueled overnight ready for the morning, later in the morning the loco would return and position the tank back to finish unloading its contents then take the tank away. All one company so cost were lower and train ran as a pick up service through to Cleethorpes picking up and dropping off freight.

I think you will find pick-up freights were done away with by BR a long time before privatisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.