• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Friend of mine applied for the last intake at FGW a month ago and asked if I could find out if anyone has heard back from them yet?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jscho84233

I would imagine it will be another few weeks before they let people know the results of the shortlisting. They will have had thousands of applications, and it will take time to get through them all sorting the wheat from the chaff. Good luck to your friend. Keep an eye on the forum, when people start hearing back from them they'll start posting!

EDIT: Well, that shows how much i know. I've been invited to an interview next week! Eek! (i've already got a valid assessment centre pass from earlier in the year, hence why i've gone straight to interview stage.)

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
They havent even got back to the qualifieds that applied (apart from changing our online status to "awaiting assessment-on hold", so the trainees have got no chance yet!

AlexRostron

Hi all,

just signed up this is my first post. I have been invited to interview this Thursday for FGW. I took the assessment centre in January and passed first time but was told the number of jobs available was less than first anticipated and didn't get called for interview. I never thought I'd hear from then again then out the blue I receive a phonecall asking if I would like to be short listed to attend interview - shocked to say the least!
On the careers website of FGW my application status says "invited to first interview"???

Do you guys think this is actually the final interview with the train driver manager? I already did the structured interview during the assessment centre but not sure why it's saying invited to first interview if it is indeed the managers interview?? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Alex

Lanc688

Hi all,

just signed up this is my first post. I have been invited to interview this Thursday for FGW. I took the assessment centre in January and passed first time but was told the number of jobs available was less than first anticipated and didn't get called for interview. I never thought I'd hear from then again then out the blue I receive a phonecall asking if I would like to be short listed to attend interview - shocked to say the least!
On the careers website of FGW my application status says "invited to first interview"???

Do you guys think this is actually the final interview with the train driver manager? I already did the structured interview during the assessment centre but not sure why it's saying invited to first interview if it is indeed the managers interview?? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Alex

Alex,

If you've passed all your assessment already then that is that....you have passed all your assessment (although I know for a fact that First require no borderline passes on some). If you have passed above this score then you shouldn't be doing them again.

Do bear in mind that if you are asked to do any again, then your new pass mark will now be on the database and you will be stuck with that.

I imagine that you will be doing the driver manager interview, but best to phone/contact HR and confirm this...you are entitled to that info i'm sure and I have actually found the HR department for one of the First TOCs very friendly and helpful.

Regards
Lanc:)

AlexRostron

Thanks for the advice, I can't see why they would make me do it again? After the assessment centre my status changed to "successfully completed full assessment" so hopefully it is my driver managers interview.
I'm super nervous but have put so much work in to get to this stage that I'm confident as well, hopefully I'm going to smash the interview (got to think positive!) :D

I will contact HR tomorrow as at work all day today but you're right surely I am entitled to know!

Lanc688

Thanks for the advice, I can't see why they would make me do it again? After the assessment centre my status changed to "successfully completed full assessment" so hopefully it is my driver managers interview.
I'm super nervous but have put so much work in to get to this stage that I'm confident as well, hopefully I'm going to smash the interview (got to think positive!) :D

I will contact HR tomorrow as at work all day today but you're right surely I am entitled to know!

There you go....if saying "successfully completed" then good enough by their standards.

I would be massively surprised if it was anything other than your manager interview...well done mate, they've no doubt seen a potential driver in you....just relax and be yourself !

Lanc

ash44

Friend of mine applied for the last intake at FGW a month ago and asked if I could find out if anyone has heard back from them yet?

Thanks in advance

I had been waiting in anticipation since I put my application in on the morning of the 16th!

Just read an email today from Careers saying Ive passed the Shortlisting. Final checks are being made with regards to previous attempts at the assessment centre, which there hasn't been.

Excited and motivated to get the assessment nailed. Looking forward to all of it, not nervous just yet...

Hope everyone else is getting the news they were after!

fgwtt1988

I had been waiting in anticipation since I put my application in on the morning of the 16th!

Just read an email today from Careers saying Ive passed the Shortlisting. Final checks are being made with regards to previous attempts at the assessment centre, which there hasn't been.

Excited and motivated to get the assessment nailed. Looking forward to all of it, not nervous just yet...

Hope everyone else is getting the news they were after!

I got exactly the same good news! Although I've already passed the Driver Assessment as I've also applied for a drivers job at Weymouth for South West Trains.

I passed the assessment back on 1st March but I'm still waiting to hear whether there are positions available at Weymouth yet or not so I thought having 2 drivers jobs in the pipeline is better than 1 as one may come quicker than the other.

Good luck with it all!

ash44

I got exactly the same good news! Although I've already passed the Driver Assessment as I've also applied for a drivers job at Weymouth for South West Trains.

I passed the assessment back on 1st March but I'm still waiting to hear whether there are positions available at Weymouth yet or not so I thought having 2 drivers jobs in the pipeline is better than 1 as one may come quicker than the other.

Good luck with it all!

Same to you.

I did a few of the practice questions, really didn't understand the dials and arrows practice questions, I thought I did.

I got 1/8 I think that one was a fluke, so I re-read the question and examples.. It's actually even more simple, the order is dictated to what colour the arrow is on. Couldn't believe how simple it was. It takes a few seconds for each answer!

Fairly confident I'll do well in the tests providied I know exactly what the questions asking!

badu

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows if FGW do the Mechanical Comprehension test? And if anyone has information regarding the trainee course length and salary/benefits once qualified??

Many thanks

Same to you.

I did a few of the practice questions, really didn't understand the dials and arrows practice questions, I thought I did.

I got 1/8 I think that one was a fluke, so I re-read the question and examples.. It's actually even more simple, the order is dictated to what colour the arrow is on. Couldn't believe how simple it was. It takes a few seconds for each answer!

Fairly confident I'll do well in the tests providied I know exactly what the questions asking!

ash44

FGW do mechanical comp yes.

If my research is correct, approx £22k for training salary. Takes on average 9-12months.

You should know the rest, its not hard to find out.

badu

I know someone who sat the assessments last year with FGW and he said that they don't do the Mechanical test no more?
FGW do mechanical comp yes.

If my research is correct, approx £22k for training salary. Takes on average 9-12months.

You should know the rest, its not hard to find out.

Old-School

I know someone who sat the assessments last year with FGW and he said that they don't do the Mechanical test no more?

Apparently, some TOCs either have or are doing away with the Mechanical tests in their driver assessments because of a system they have in place called "A Cut and Run" Policy which basically entails having to phone Fleet Management after informing the Signaller, as soon as a fault on a train occurs irrespective of the type of train fault. This policy is currently in force for the TOC that I drive for.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
The document is from 2004, so is there by default. Am learning it anyway in case, though I need to work out volumes better (if this would be needed in a drivers position?)

Also, I wonder if the questions for the structured interview will be related to the position. If it comes up with 'describe a time when you had to give a sales pitch' I'd have to pass on that question straight away, then wonder what relation it has!!

rob12

I did my fault finding today, but im sure i have bollocked it up, the test was fairly straight forward and easy but as the sod's law would have at 2.30 am this morning i had to call the emergency vet to my home and have my 9yr old dog put to sleep because of kidney and liver faliure she was 'my, dog never left my side and it is all very upsetting for me and the family no sleep, upset and could just not take any info in at all, i was going round in circles so i think i have messed up mine and my familys chances getting any further, so completley fu###d at the momment and and very dissapointed, but good luck to all the others

ghost

I did my fault finding today, but im sure i have bollocked it up, the test was fairly straight forward and easy but as the sod's law would have at 2.30 am this morning i had to call the emergency vet to my home and have my 9yr old dog put to sleep because of kidney and liver faliure she was 'my, dog never left my side and it is all very upsetting for me and the family no sleep, upset and could just not take any info in at all, i was going round in circles so i think i have messed up mine and my familys chances getting any further, so completley fu###d at the momment and and very dissapointed, but good luck to all the others

Don't give up mate you may still have passed! Did you get any practice paper for this test in advance?

cheers

NHG66

Hi everyone, just got my email saying I have passed shortlisting. Never applied for this or any other role on the rails before so just awaiting the date to attend the assessment. Good luck to all those who are still waiting to hear.
:D

ash44

Hi everyone, just got my email saying I have passed shortlisting. Never applied for this or any other role on the rails before so just awaiting the date to attend the assessment. Good luck to all those who are still waiting to hear.
:D

Good stuff, hope all goes well. Keep us updated! How are you finding the different tests, if you've started any practice yet!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I've got confirmation to be at Bristol on the 4th. I'm to go to Hilton Garden City, Bristol. Having a hard time finding that on Google Maps though :?
Any locals know where it is? No postcode or road name provided.

brizzlechris

badu

Hi fella

Is it for the full assessment? Or just interview?
Also, does anyone have any idea of the main questions for the Structured interview and how best to prepare for it, especially if it could be your first time taking it.
Good luck by the way mate.

I've got confirmation to be at Bristol on the 4th. I'm to go to Hilton Garden City, Bristol. Having a hard time finding that on Google Maps though :?
Any locals know where it is? No postcode or road name provided.

ash44

I think I will use the train, not 100% sure yet though. I'm booked for the same day at Bristol Hilton.

Hi fella

Also, does anyone have any idea of the main questions for the Structured interview and how best to prepare for it, especially if it could be your first time taking it.
Good luck by the way mate.

The information pack sent to you has the types of questions you will be asked in there I believe.

NHG66

Good stuff, hope all goes well. Keep us updated! How are you finding the different tests, if you've started any practice yet!

To be honest Ash, not too bad really but then I am from an aircraft engineering background originally so all the mechanical stuff is second nature. My hand eye coordination has always been pretty good so I hope I can cope with the reaction test with the flashing lights etc. I am fairly happy with my accuracy with the GB tests, just need to see if I can up the speed so that I can get the minimum number of selections per page required if that makes sense. Guess I will find out at the assessment on Wednesday :D

Good luck you guys with the tests at Brizzle.

tone

Yes,

Hi everyone - just registered this is my first post, loving the wealth of information available so thanks to everyone for that.

I applied for the driver position on 9th Aug and on friday was told I had passed shortlisting. Just waiting confirmation for attending aptitude testing pending verification that I have not done it before - which i haven't. Should be testing on Wed at location unknown!

If I am successful I hope to be working out of Reading. I have never done anything rail related before, but have a few years of being RAF aircrew under my belt which hopefully helps.

Anyone else in a similar position?

Lanc688

Yes,

Hi everyone - just registered this is my first post, loving the wealth of information available so thanks to everyone for that.

I applied for the driver position on 9th Aug and on friday was told I had passed shortlisting. Just waiting confirmation for attending aptitude testing pending verification that I have not done it before - which i haven't. Should be testing on Wed at location unknown!

If I am successful I hope to be working out of Reading. I have never done anything rail related before, but have a few years of being RAF aircrew under my belt which hopefully helps.

Tone... i refer you to an earlier post by myself to someone else:

"Originally Posted by shaun.crosby
Lanc688 what sort of things did you do for your preparations? Did you pass? What sort of things did the day involve?

Shaun.

Yes passed!

The morning was the GB dots test, trainability test and the mechanical comprehension test. PM, if passed so far was the reactions test and then the interview.

DBS will send you an information pack with examples. The mech comp was a little lateral and tested your ability to 'see' the way things worked.

For the trainability test - practice the examples. Go on the BBC news website and download some articles (scientific best). Give yourself 5 minutes to read these and then get someone to ask you loads of questions on them.

Practice the GB dots until your concentration levels are good with few or no mistakes.

Use boppit or video games to hone reactions and coordination.

Above all...make a timetable, stay fit, eat well and stay off the booze.

Good Luck

Lanc"

For more meat on the bones I suggest you search the Forums for a wealth of info (also look at the other Rail Forum, which has loads on the reactions and GBT if you put in a search).

PS...I am in a similar situation to you, athough I have paid for the tests privately and passed with DBS.

Are you ALM then ?

PS....I found the tests harder than the Aircrew selection tests, well actually different really, but you can prepare as I said above !

Regards
Lanc

Last edited:

Fragiledog

Yes,

Pretty much exactly the same, applied on the 8th I think, and received my email today.
Have you been given an actual date for testing? Mine just says "from the 5th of September", a little worrying as I need some notice to be able to get the day off work :o.
I've been told by a mate to get a boppit to help with the reaction tests :P. But not sure what else to do really, did okay with the practice tests (even after a day of work and a bloody head cold :X), I tend to be quick at answering which leaves me time to go back over questions.

Oh, will be based at reading if successful as well :D.

tone

PS....I found the tests harder than the Aircrew selection tests, well actually different really, but you can prepare as I said above !

Aw mate, don't tell me that! lol, 2 days of keyboard bashing, interviews and shark infested custard at cranditz? Heh, those were scary times.

As for my aptitude dates, yeah - not very clear is it? Again just says from the 5th. Lucky my boss is pretty on side and apart from a couple of dates already in my diary I should be able to get a day's leave with less than 24 hours notice...

Status
Not open for further replies.