• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bystander

Christ. I'd like to say well done for getting that far, but I'm not going to. If you can't use the search function and find those questions on this forum within 90 seconds - which I just did - then you shouldn't have got that far. Fault finding? Crisis out on the running line needing immediate correct action? Don't make me laugh. I'd rather weep.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plonk

Plonk - the guy who sat next to me heard yesterday that he will be doing stage 2 next Wednesday in Watford. He said it sounds like they have one person doing all the calling and of course there will be a huge list to go through.

Watford! Bit closer than Cardiff - thanks for the info. I take it anything we were told at Kensington should be taken with a large pinch of salt?!

lordturns

Watford! Bit closer than Cardiff - thanks for the info. I take it anything we were told at Kensington should be taken with a large pinch of salt?!

A pinch? more like a spade:) think I will be sending an email today and see if I get anywhere....although I am of the opinion that if you have been eliminated, then surely you would have a website update by now?

I applied for ttd for fgw for Oxford and my status for the application has changed to considered for alternative role what the F*** does that mean ?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I am surprised they have got back to you so soon after closing date
Even though its not quite the reply you were looking for

mindthedoors

A guy i work with received a rejection email yesterday for Paddington. He's a depot driver who lives in east London. I guess even with experience, FGW would probably prefer closer applicants.

I do the same job, applied the same time, and I'm yet to hear back. I only live a couple of miles from paddington.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
A guy i work with received a rejection email yesterday for Paddington. He's a depot driver who lives in east London. I guess even with experience, FGW would probably prefer closer applicants.

I do the same job, applied the same time, and I'm yet to hear back. I only live a couple of miles from paddington.

Did your mate apply for 3rd May closing date too?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Wonder if they start with one depot and go through application list before moving onto depot..

Second guessing this process for any TOC is futile mind you

diego1234

Anyone who sat the assessment on 3rd May in London heard back from FGW? I'm sure the recruitment lady stated that we'd hear either away the week before last! I know it's a waiting game, but a lot of us applied last Summer!

Guess the wait will have to continue..:D

Plonk

Yep, I was there the 2nd and have not heard a single thing.
Applied last August.
Are they this slack/discourtious to work for? If I'd left someone hanging for nearly a month in my current job without so much as a courtesy mail I'd be shown the door.

455driver

Veteran Member
Applied last August.
Are they this slack/discourteous to work for? If I'd left someone hanging for nearly a month in my current job without so much as a courtesy mail I'd be shown the door.

If you are so displeased with them why dont you withdraw your application, that will teach them a lesson!

Oh thats right, you need them more than they need you! ;)

PeteH

Yep, I was there the 2nd and have not heard a single thing.
Applied last August.
Are they this slack/discourtious to work for? If I'd left someone hanging for nearly a month in my current job without so much as a courtesy mail I'd be shown the door.

FGW are great to work for.

Perhaps if you applied last August, and haven't heard back, you would be better off considering another career path. No-one is entitled to a job on the railways.

lordturns

To be honest, I think Plonk has a point - certainly I would say that because all of the three tests were a 'tick box' exercise, it should be relatively easy to rule out those that did not pass very quickly and update/email this en masse.

Marking these simple tests requires NO intellectual judgement from the individual even if there are hundreds, if not thousands of papers to go through. Now contrast this with a lecturer for example:- when considering a dissertation from a student they will have to consider all aspects of the written work to be graded with often complex arguments and conclusions being presented. Some of my friends are teachers and they are up until very late marking and preparing for the next day.

So it should be straightforward! I don't doubt that they are a good company to work for if you get in there and I think to have a job on the railways is quite fortunate and a great achievement in itself if you make the grade.

Last edited:

reapz

Perhaps if you applied last August, and haven't heard back, you would be better off considering another career path. No-one is entitled to a job on the railways.

Your wrong,First hr is renown for being terrible, Someone who has worked for them for 12 weeks cannot judge lol

bystander

Patience is a virtue and, as it happens, a necessary attribute for drivers. As is recognising that you have to work with the system, and not fight against it (rightly or wrongly). FGW is great to work for - I've been there for a few years. Facts and experience, not wishful thinking or supposition, are in short supply on this forum.

Not that many years ago I was looking for my trainee driver's job. It took ages for the one TOC for which I applied to put me through the hoops and offer me a job. I now do the sort of driving, at another TOC having moved on, that I used to think wistfully about sitting at my desk years ago. I don't recall whinging in public about my potential or actual employer, ever - because as someone pointed out very rightly earlier, you need them a lot more than they need you.

If you don't keep your head down and work with the system, should you happen to be successful, you won't have a long career.

Plonk

Thank you for the replies and apologies for having the gall to question the methods of a TOC's HR dept. :roll: As everyone on the day was told, more than once, that we would hear "something" within a week I was just wondering if broken promises are the norm. I shall continue waiting for a 'No'.

PeteH

Your wrong,First hr is renown for being terrible, Someone who has worked for them for 12 weeks cannot judge lol

Well, you're entitled to an opinion, just as I am entitled to mine.

You're also entitled to use poor spelling and grammar, if you think it helps.

Last edited:

reapz

Did not have to learn/use grammar for my traction courses etc. Not sure where it would come in handy, Looking at repair books over the years it seems that it is not the no1 concern of most.

TDK

Established Member

:roll:

Oh dear cannot take criticism? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and if it is an opinion do you think that that should be the first part of the quote?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

As above? IN MY OPINION FGW are great to work for?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.