• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Train

Hello wanabedriver, I was there on the 4th of Oct in Reading, I sat on the front row on the right hand side. I've heard nothing back so far, my online application status has not changed and I e-mailed First Group Careers last night chasing them for an update and now I have to wait 36 hours for a reply from them. I expect they will tell me I have to wait longer. I want this so much the wait is killing me, even if they say I failed or got a boarderline pass I would be able to get on with my life!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LKS

Yeah they hold the centres all over the place. I did mine at a hotel in Reading. I did it all in one go, too, they've obviously just changed to doing part 1 and 2 seperately a few months ago. It was a very long day.

Yeh the lady who took mine said she would rather do it all in one go, but as the interview takes an hour, if all 8 of us were to pass then that's 8 hours on just interviews!

How do you feel you did?

In addition I just phoned careers and got through to a very helpful lady who said anyone who had an assessment in Newport Monday, they are still awaiting updates. They are chasing for them, but was told that the next assessment won't be the dates given to us as told in email and in assessment of 23-25... So just keep checking your online account and emails. I'm guessing we need to have the same time frame as reading guys of 7-10 days for results.

Last edited:

jscho84233

Yeh the lady who took mine said she would rather do it all in one go, but as the interview takes an hour, if all 8 of us were to pass then that's 8 hours on just interviews!

How do you feel you did?

There were 8 of us in the morning, but by the time it came to the interviews in the afternoon, we were down to 2!

Just to point out that I applied for the previous vacancies that were advertised, and sat the assessments back in January. It was so long ago I can't remember how many questions I answered on the dials and cables etc, but I remember I got about 2/3 down each page of the GB test. I was most worried about how I did on the interview. But I passed everything, had a managers interview a couple of months ago, and start work next month.

LKS

Bloody hell! That's quite a nerve wracking statistic, I'm so worried now as to how I did :/ I really would like this! I know I did my best at the assessment but didn't come out feeling great. Maybe it was nerves still hanging on but not sure.

Congratulations! Bet your over the moon! I hope I too can say I get a job offer If I get through this assessment and to the next with with interview.

Is the interview super hard or is it as easy as you make it (with what you put down on the paper before hand)

I'm guessing we need to have the same time frame as reading guys of 7-10 days for results.

I wouldn't bank on that! I sat the first part on 4th October and recruitment reckon they still haven't been given our results yet. No estimate, just told I'd be emailed when they knew.

LKS

I wouldn't bank on that! I sat the first part on 4th October and recruitment reckon they still haven't been given our results yet. No estimate, just told I'd be emailed when they knew.

Really!?! Why is it taking so long? I appreciate there's stuff to go through etc in regards to marking but they give you dates for second assessment in an email and on the day yet they don't stick to it :/ I thought the training courses were nov and jan 2013? Maybe I'm too keen and need to hold myself back but I was so chuffed making it to first assessments that now I'd love to know how I did.

jscho84233

Is the interview super hard or is it as easy as you make it (with what you put down on the paper before hand)

If you have good, solid examples that you can give, then it's fine. You need to think of examples that you can provide good information about on the paper, but with enough information left over for the interviewer to get out of you during the interview, if you see what I mean. For one of the questions I thought I had given a really good example of an experience I had, but then when it came down to the "grilling", I found that I didn't have any information about the experience left to answer her questions! I think it was about the third question in. She was happy to leave that question and come back to it to give me chance to think of a completely new example, which I did.

The interview is not easy, but if you've had the kind of experiences that they are looking for you to have had, then it's not massively difficult either.

One final point, don't try to make up examples when you are filling the interview questionaire in. The interviewer asks questions on what you have written down to the minutest detail, if your example is not true, there's a very good chance you will trip up under questioning.

LKS

So it really is a grilling! Am I correct that one example is based on an emergency situation?

I appreciate the advice thank you :) gonna start to practice with the question pack provided by fgw and keep going over and over. It's weird to think that you have to give examples in your online application and again in the structure interview and I'm guessing (could be wrong) but again in the lm interview.

Does it matter if you happen to use examples you used in your online application if its fitting to the scenario or do they want fresh ones?

jscho84233

Yes, it is definately a grilling! I was sweating quite profusely!

Keep calm, listen to what the interviewer is asking you, and answer the questions with as much detail as you can.

I believe (but don't quote me) that the questions you answered during the on line application were used purely to sift out the wheat from the chaff at the shortlisting stage. The answers you gave may also be used during any Driver Manager interview you have, because they will have a copy of your application. I was not told at the SI that I could not recycle what I had used on my application.

coupes

I think the main thing to remember is to keep calm during the SI. Be confident in your examples and give a detailed response.They want to see how you cope under pressure and believe me - under pressure you are!! ;)
The SI is all about how you handle the pressure cooker situation. I remember my interview, she kept coming back to me over and over again looking for more detail to my answers! She did have a smile on her face though!!

LKS

I think the main thing to remember is to keep calm during the SI. Be confident in your examples and give a detailed response.They want to see how you cope under pressure and believe me - under pressure you are!! ;)
The SI is all about how you handle the pressure cooker situation. I remember my interview, she kept coming back to me over and over again looking for more detail to my answers! She did have a smile on her face though!!

So take a deep breathe and don't let them take you off track.. Keep focused and just answer what they are saying and don't go off into a random topic which is not related.

I do like the fact she had a smile on her face, better then having a stern look and being off putting :)

jscho84233

I do like the fact she had a smile on her face, better then having a stern look and being off putting :)

Yes they do understand that it's an extremely stressful experience, so they do all they can to put you at ease and try to make you feel as comfortable as they can! The "grilling" comment was toungue-in-cheek, it may feel like that you the interviewee, but it is an interview, rather than an interrogation!

TT66

How many questions do they ask for the written responses?Then how many do they ask about each response? I'm guessing they want to hear you say keywords in your answers

jscho84233

They ask as many questions that they need to in order to get the information they need from you. They don't have a list of questions that they will ask.

barrykas

Established Member
E-mailed First again yesterday...Got another "still waiting for the results" response...since September!? :(

spesh

Well I got told they were still waiting, but SWT wanted to put me through to stage 2 of the testing, so they range first group and were told my results!!! The waiting is very tough I know!!!!

LKS

E-mailed First again yesterday...Got another "still waiting for the results" response...since September!? :(

Since September!?! Bloody hell! What depot you applied for if I may ask....

welshperv82

Same here mate, took the test on Thursday 20th, was told we'd hear by the following Monday, but still nothing. At the time there were guys who'd taken the tests earlier than me who are still waiting for stage 2 lol. Fingers crossed though lol

barrykas

Established Member

Paddington. Did the GB and TRP on 5th September in Reading and we were told the second stage was taking place from the 13th, so we'd hear "soon" regardless of the outcome!

LKS

Paddington. Did the GB and TRP on 5th September in Reading and we were told the second stage was taking place from the 13th, so we'd hear "soon" regardless of the outcome!

That's roughly what I was told as the email with the date for first assessment also contained the dates of the second! Why does it take them so long to mark?

NHG66

That's roughly what I was told as the email with the date for first assessment also contained the dates of the second! Why does it take them so long to mark?

I was in on stage 1 on that date too, along with a few others who have also done stage 2, Managers interview etc. They have told me that there are various start dates so perhaps you were not lucky enough to get on one of the first courses. Not sure where you put to work but the ones I know who have been successful are all Oxford based so perhaps they may be doing this depot by depot and so possibly you may be earmarked for courses starting in the new year. They have had thousands of applications and have lots of places to fill so perhaps they are concentrating their efforts on the first batch of courses ?

Has anyone who did these dates been told they failed ? if you have not heard to that effect then you just have the frustrating wait. I am sure they would let the unsuccessful ones know or amend their web logon info.

LKS

I was in on stage 1 on that date too, along with a few others who have also done stage 2, Managers interview etc. They have told me that there are various start dates so perhaps you were not lucky enough to get on one of the first courses. Not sure where you put to work but the ones I know who have been successful are all Oxford based so perhaps they may be doing this depot by depot and so possibly you may be earmarked for courses starting in the new year. They have had thousands of applications and have lots of places to fill so perhaps they are concentrating their efforts on the first batch of courses ?

Has anyone who did these dates been told they failed ? if you have not heard to that effect then you just have the frustrating wait. I am sure they would let the unsuccessful ones know or amend their web logon info.

I applied for Bristol. I did hear there are some dates in November and some in January so maybe your right, If successful I was just hoping to get it out the way and done by Xmas. I'm not feeling confident that I passed, but its the waiting. I would like to know either way that's all. Rather then getting my hopes up every time I see I have a new email.

Last edited:

NHG66

I applied for Bristol. I did hear there are some dates in November and some in January so maybe your right, If successful I was just hoping to get it out the way and done by Xmas. I'm not feeling confident that I passed, but its the waiting. I would like to know either way that's all. Rather then getting my hopes up every time I see I have a new email.

Not seen anyone saying about starting in Bristol so hang in there chap. ;)

LKS

Thanks. I certainly will :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's Monday! A new week to start watching emails again on the hope of some good news of a date for assessment 2! Despite originally being told it would be this week but hey ho!

Good luck to others waiting!

TT66

Just had an answer phone message from fgw recruitment saying I've passed stage one and to ring for next steps.Just rang but the girl had just left so ring again tommorow.So maybe expect a call this week matey.

TT66

No not yet bob still says invited to assessment 16/10/12 11.45am
I would expect a call seeing as you were on the same day.Good luck bob

LKS

That's the news I been waiting for but I was 15th so guessing I didn't make it :( ill give it a couple of days then phone careers hr but its not looking good. Gutted! All this rail simulator practice is for nothing lol!

Congratulations to yourself Paul! Wish you all the best of luck, keep us updated!

Last edited:

TT66

Keep the faith lewis,Newport just may be slower than reading,I'm sure theres still lots of people waiting so fingers crossed. If its good or bad they would let people know when they know so most probs opc being slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.