• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - thats what I'm planning on too David.
Desperate to know the results - apart from I want the job obviously - I've also just been shortlisted with Northern so it'd be good to know in case they contact me to arrange assesments / interviews soon.

Exactly the same here mate.
Did stage one on October 4th, still haven't heard anything but in the meantime I've also passed the online assessment with Northern for Leeds. I did state on the application that I was still awaiting results so maybe Northern will be able to get the information from the OPC database anyway?

Back to patiently waiting...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stoffus

Can anyone help me out or in the same boat. I completed my first assessment in Bristol on the 4th September but I have still not heard anything back and the HR told me that they're waiting to hear off the HR Team. Because people on here have taken assesment after and completed managers interviews I think I have failed.

A friend of mine has had an email to say he was unsucessful, so until you get that email hang in there!
I start on Monday and it is well worth the wait! :D

BlueMallard

Just like psq43, I'm also waiting after having my 1st assessment in Reading on 4th October (for FGW).
I chased this with HR almost 2 weeks ago - they were prompt in replying but advised me that this was pending the recruiting manager.
It would be nice to know either way ;)

psq43

Just like psq43, I'm also waiting after having my 1st assessment in Reading on 4th October (for FGW).
I chased this with HR almost 2 weeks ago - they were prompt in replying but advised me that this was pending the recruiting manager.
It would be nice to know either way ;)

I haven't even had anything other than the standard automated email confirming my application, let alone a date for a first assessment.

To be honest, hopes are low. Very low. While I may work for First already, its in no way connected to the rail industry, and I have zero experience of the rail industry. My extent of rail knowledge extends as far as red lights mean stop, and that there is no steering wheel! I dont even know if the trains have cab heating which to me is more important than brakes! ! :)

MR_P

Those that have done the managers interview.

Did you have a test where a mock situation/incident has occurred and you are given the information on it. You then have relay that information on?

barrykas

Established Member
Trying a different tack, has anyone who applied for Paddington done the second stage (reactions and structured interview) yet? Getting fed up of waiting now, as Monday will mark two months since I did the first stage, and FirstGroup HR just keep fobbing me off with "you'll know when we know." :(

TT66

Yes i did my stage two week before last,there were two guys who had applied for Paddington both fgw employees.Just think that theres so many applications that its going to be a long process! Does anybody know how many drivers they are looking at employing?

Fragiledog

Really think I've failed, not heard back yet and did my 2nd part assessment on the 17th. Will give them a call tomorrow to confirm :(

Hey guys, just a quick update, I did my assessment for the Reading depo on the 10th, with part 2 on the 17th of September. Heard nothing back for ages, dropped HR an email and got a standard reply saying they hadn't received my results back etc etc etc. Really thought I hadn't passed it. Then I got a call on Friday, and now have a line manager's interview on Tuesday :D. So if you haven't heard back don't worry! Until they give you a proper answer anything can happen! Super nervous again, but also super excited :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, does anyone know how bad is the manager interview? Hopefully not as bad as the structured one, that was awful. I'm wondering how much reading about FGW I need to do. I know it's a good idea to have a read up, just don't know how in depth :o

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi Fragiledog

My advice to you would be to get as much research in as possible about FGW the training process you are about to (hopefully) enter into and have plenty to talk about when they ask you questions like when have you worked alone for long periods of time, things like that. In my managers interview for NXEA (GA now!) I was asked what I knew about the company and what the training program I was about to enter involved. In my opinion for this you can never do too much homework and will really make yourself stand out if you can real the info they are looking for off without hesitation. That will show you have properly prepared for the interview.

Regards

David

Driver for GA

Brunel

Yes i did my stage two week before last,there were two guys who had applied for Paddington both fgw employees.Just think that theres so many applications that its going to be a long process! Does anybody know how many drivers they are looking at employing?
I believe FGW are after upwards of 60 drivers across the network, and they had over 2500 applicants. So you can imagine how long it will take to shift that lot

David_Train

Good morning, I was hoping to get an update from anyone who attended the first assessment day on the 4th of October. I've not heard anything from FGW, I did send one e-mail to ask about my results but I got a standard reply to say the results are with the HR manager and to wait etc. Has anyone had an e-mail to say they have failed? My status on my online First Group account still says "invited to assessment" on the 4th of Oct. I understand that if they had 2500 applications and 60 vacancies to fill it will take some time to process and no news is good news but I wish they had not said we will tell you the results in 7 to 10 days!

Fragiledog

So, did my interview this morning :) Went well I thought, but I won't know till I'm told. Forgot to ask when I'd be informed! :/

Crannon

Got a rejection email from first today :(

In case anyone is interested in the time scales, my full process took about 3 1/2 months:
Applied in July, first stage of assessment 10th September, second stage 18th, then the managers interview on 2nd October, and over a month before I heard I didn't make it.

I had applied to Reading, and indicated a willingness to move to Oxford or Paddington.

sjcMOB

David Train- My online status is exactly the same. Did you get anyluck in calling them back again? I'm in two minds about calling them again myself because last time the lady was so grumpy. I can imagine I would be aswell though if 2500 people kept asking if they have passed or been shortlisted.
I was wondering if anyone has been invited to stage two after waiting four weeks plus?

PeteH

For what it's worth I applied for FGW back in July, or was it August - seems so long ago, and have been invited to attend the assessment tests at Paddington tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lanc688

For what it's worth I applied for FGW back in July and have been invited to attend the assessment tests at Paddington tomorrow.

Good on ya Pete and good to see you join the board mate. Lots of info here and has been extremely useful.

Jc

PeteH

Cheers JC, glad to hear about Sheffield.

Spoke to FGW HR today and the tests will take between 3 & 4 hours; assuming they will follow pretty much the same format as DBSchenker.

Fingers crossed anyway, going to be long day!

Slightly concerned that FGW haven't sent any joining instructions, I just have verbal instructions of where to be and when...

Lanc688

Cheers JC, glad to hear about Sheffield.

Spoke to FGW HR today and the tests will take between 3 & 4 hours; assuming they will follow pretty much the same format as DBSchenker.

Fingers crossed anyway, going to be long day!

Slightly concerned that FGW haven't sent any joining instructions, I just have verbal instructions of where to be and when...

Have you checked which ones you are doing again and why !

PeteH

Have you checked which ones you are doing again and why !

Assumed when she said 3-4 hours I'd do the lot, which is odd. Hey ho, just going to practice everything really, apart from Mech Apt which was a bit of a doddle.

Lanc688

Assumed when she said 3-4 hours I'd do the lot, which is odd. Hey ho, just going to practice everything really, apart from Mech Apt which was a bit of a doddle.

Thing is mate I would check, as the results for all tests you do tomorrow will be those ones recorded on the database from that point onwards. If you have scored well in some at DBS then you may be shooting yourself in the foot by taking them again.

I would just check that's all with the OPC dudes (or whover is doing them).

Good luck tomorrow mate...let me know !

Jc

PeteH

Thing is I don't think I'll get much choice - if I have to do all the tests then so be it. Not as though I can opt out of one's I don't 'need'.

Still, will give Lisa a call first thing anyway, just out of curiosity.

BTW, did you do your assessments down at Paddington too?

Lanc688

Pete,

And another thing....the assessors should ask you if you have been sent practice material/joining instructions and had sufficient time to digest (think it was at least 7 days). If not they may advise you that you shouldnt be taking the tests at that time.

Of course entirely up to you, but you MUST give yourself the best possible chance for your own wellbeing.

Good luck
Jc

PS....Mine were in Manc for TPE

PeteH

Practice stuff is identical to DB Schenker, apart from the name of the company on the cover sheet.

There's only so many times one can do the same group bourdon test without knowing the 'answers'!

Maybe the Manc/Paddington factor is why the tests are different?

I asked (at the time) about the results and LIsa said it was a 'good pass'. Said she couldn't tell me the actual scores but said I didn't get any wrong in mech apt, and got close to 100% on the 'glop' passage.

Lanc688

Practice stuff is identical to DB Schenker, apart from the name of the company on the cover sheet.

There's only so many times one can do the same group bourdon test without knowing the 'answers'!

Maybe the Manc/Paddington factor is why the tests are different?

I asked (at the time) about the results and LIsa said it was a 'good pass'. Said she couldn't tell me the actual scores but said I didn't get any wrong in mech apt, and got close to 100% on the 'glop' passage.

Unless FGW do extra tests and you got a "Good Pass" at DBS then you should not have to do any tests again.

I know you'll be careful, just a warning that's all.

Jc

PeteH

Just had a word with Mandy at DB Schenker. She said that the only limit on assessments was if one were to fail twice, in which case one would not be permitted to take the tests again. If one did pass there is no theoretical limit as to how many times the test could be taken.

wanabedriver

Good morning, I was hoping to get an update from anyone who attended the first assessment day on the 4th of October. I've not heard anything from FGW, I did send one e-mail to ask about my results but I got a standard reply to say the results are with the HR manager and to wait etc. Has anyone had an e-mail to say they have failed? My status on my online First Group account still says "invited to assessment" on the 4th of Oct. I understand that if they had 2500 applications and 60 vacancies to fill it will take some time to process and no news is good news but I wish they had not said we will tell you the results in 7 to 10 days!

Hi mate,

In the same position as you. I guess it's just a waiting game from here. As far as I see from this forum anyone sitting part 1 on 4/10 are still waiting to hear.
Best of luck to everyone

barrykas

Established Member
Still no news here, and I sat the first part of the assessment on 05/09 :( HR are still saying the results are with the recruiting manager...

Last edited:

David_Train

Hello. No further with FGW at the minute. Results still with the recruitment manager....
However I did get a surprise e-mail from First Group Careers this morning. In November 2011 (yes 2011) I applied to First Capital Connect for the role of Trainee Train Driver and my online status said 'awaiting short listing' ever since, but today I have been invited to an assessment day in Cambridge in January 2013. This is great news and because I know what to expect I can revise and practise for the tests over the next 2 months! It does go to show that you should not give up and it is hard to be patient but opportunities will come your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.