• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuttytoffee

Hi everyone. I have followed this forum with interest and applied with FGW myself back in July (2012). Up until today, my application status had read 'awaiting shortlisting' and I assumed I was unsuccessful but hadn't yet been told. Today I checked and it reads 'Pending Driver assessment verification'. This is a good thing yes? If so, what can I expect to happen next? Thanks for any replies in advance and once again..........Hello!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MR_P

Hi everyone. I have followed this forum with interest and applied with FGW myself back in July (2012). Up until today, my application status had read 'awaiting shortlisting' and I assumed I was unsuccessful but hadn't yet been told. Today I checked and it reads 'Pending Driver assessment verification'. This is a good thing yes? If so, what can I expect to happen next? Thanks for any replies in advance and once again..........Hello!

Hello welcome to the Forum! Have you done the driver tests before? (Privately perhaps)
If so they will be checked, and if your results meet the required standard you will be invited to the Mangers interview. If you haven't done the tests before you may be asked to do them first.:D

PeteH

Phew, telephone call from HR today, through to the 'Manager's Interview', dates tbc.

Last edited:

TT66

Well done pete,I got an email today confirming I've passed stage two and am also awaiting a line manager interview.Over the moon to get this far!

Lanc688

Phew, telephone call from HR today, through to the 'Manager's Interview', dates tbc.

Pete...well done mate...knew you'd get there soon. get in touch mate nearer the date when you have one and I'll give you as much gen as I can.

Jc

PeteH

Already started brushing up on FGW & First Group facts etc. Looking forward to a trip down to Reading on the run up to Christmas.

Feeling very positive for the first time in many a moon.

Last edited:

Nestor

Still no news here, and I sat the first part of the assessment on 05/09 :( HR are still saying the results are with the recruiting manager...

Yeah theryr'e pooling everyone together on part 1, who does 'best' here will collectively move on to next stage!

There was an assessement stage part 1 at padd today, so look out for emails this week for stage 2 next monday onwards!

TT66

Hi guys,anybody heard anything recently regarding stage two,managers interview or course start dates?

tone

Hi guys,anybody heard anything recently regarding stage two,managers interview or course start dates?

Nope.. all quiet on the Great Western Front. Not heard a peep since my OPC interview on 18th Sept. I dont even know if i have passed that bit...

Jo85

Hi guys recently been to a managers interview in reading, havnt heard anything back went on 8th sept I was told there were course starting end of Nov. , Dec, and Jan.
Have not heard anything since the interview.

Mix107

I would suggest you both chase the HR department, 2 months is a long time to wait and they must know how you did. Polite chasing doesn't hurt, shows your keen and keeps your name in their minds.

TT66

Hi everyone,would be interested to know peoples thoughts on numbers in the process.Just a thought but let's say there was 3000 applicants.How many do we feel get through the sift and invited to stage one? I would guess 500 then I think 300 would pass and go through to stage two. Again I am guessing here but would say half go through stage two so 150 for managers interviews.Leaving 50 odd people successfull. Got nothing to back that up just be interested to see how others view it?

Last edited by a moderator:

bob hope

I would suggest you both chase the HR department, 2 months is a long time to wait and they must know how you did. Polite chasing doesn't hurt, shows your keen and keeps your name in their minds.

Does anyone ever get a reply from HR?
Whenever I have phoned all I get to do is leave a viocemail - which is never returned. Does anyone have another number I can try?
And I get the same response from emails - ie no response!

Thankfully I found out my assessment results via the backdoor.:D

PeteH said "I know 'MC' from Swindon is on holiday this week."

Is "MC" also known as the entire HR Dept?:lol:

barrykas

Established Member
Does anyone ever get a reply from HR?
Whenever I have phoned all I get to do is leave a viocemail - which is never returned. Does anyone have another number I can try?
And I get the same response from emails - ie no response!

There definitely seem to be communications issues between FGW Personnel and FirstGroup Resourcing. I did the first part of the assessment three months ago today and have heard nothing, despite chasing it up multiple times and getting a "When we know you'll know" response. :(

henryedward61

Thank God not every company is as appallingly inept at informing candidates of developments.

My experience of First group has been extremely disappointing. I have yet to receive any response to an application submitted in August, which has simply sat there as awaiting shortlisting.

Luckily I have since been offered a driver role with another TOC and have been in the classroom three months.

LD777

Hi folks.

Applied back in July for a trainee driver position with Bristol as my choice of depot. Passed the first stage of assessment on October 15th, and my online status has read 'successful at part assessment' for about 7 weeks now, but nothing heard regarding a second assessment.

Has anyone else that has applied for Bristol progressed beyond the first stage of assessment yet? Any idea of course start dates for that depot?

wmg75

Hi LD777,

I also took my assessment on the 15th October and my status has also said successful at first stage for about the last 7 weeks!! and no I havent heard anything else!!
I currently work for a Further Education College who I thought had the worst HR department in the country, However I'm begining to think I may have found a worst one!!!

Anyway we'll just have to hang in there and hope they do eventually get back to us! Good Luck!!! :D

bob hope

Thank God not every company is as appallingly inept at informing candidates of developments.

My experience of First group has been extremely disappointing. I have yet to receive any response to an application submitted in August, which has simply sat there as awaiting shortlisting.

Luckily I have since been offered a driver role with another TOC and have been in the classroom three months.

First off - congratulations on getting the job Henry (and guessing by your username - am I right in assuming you're more of a mature student?;))

Is it living upto your (and nearly everyone else's!) expectations? Which TOC have you joined? And apologies for being nosey - always like to read others success stories just for my own inspiration.

henryedward61

I'm 35, it is Northern who have very kindly decided to take a punt on me.

I am off the street 'boil in a bag', I believe is the expression.

The training has been intense and daunting at times. I am really enjoying the challenge and have to say the training is excellent, well structured and sympathetic to people who are new to the industry.

Weeks are flying by, and currently in the middle of consuming the rule book, which is not dissimilar to the Argos catalogue in size.

455driver

Veteran Member
I am off the street 'boil in a bag', I believe is the expression.

No its microwave drivers, ting and you are ready, boil in the bag is soooooo last year!;)

Well done and 35 is not old to join, I was 42 and was just in the lower half of the age range on my drivers course.

One bit of advice is, if you dont understand something then ask, the only stupid question is the one you dont ask!
If you dont understand something in the rules then a small problem will snowball out of all proportion.

BlueMallard

I applied back in August 2012 and I heard nothing until the day before being invited to an assessment, after being told I'd be contacted in 7-10 days, I waited almost 2 weeks and contacted HR, I received an email saying "we'll let you know".

When a company promises to do something and they don't, it shows they lack respect for the individual and makes them look unprofessional - there's no excuse !

TT66

Very frustrating for everyone still involved! Been 7 weeks since i passed the assessments and no sign of an interview. HR said last month that they hope to arrange dates before christmas but im not holding my breath! Frustrating but if successful then it will be all worth it! Anybody have a managers interview date lined up?

Fragiledog

I'm also feeling the frustration of hearing nothing. Had an interview about a month ago now, and not heard anything back. Emailed last Monday, and their autoreplier told me I'd get a response with in 36 hours. Still nothing :/. Surely they would of made a decision either way, and could let out at least some info on how well I've done! It's the waiting, and not knowing...

PeteH

Phone call today to confirm my interview next week. Butterflies in stomach already waking up!

TT66

Emailed them this morning asking what was going on with interviews then got a phone call a couple of hours later! nervous too got my interview thursday in reading,how about you?

NHG66

Pete and Paul

which depots lads ? This is good news for me as I am awaiting a course start date and now I know they are interviewing must mean the next start date has been pencilled in.

TT66

I've applied for Oxford depot so a little suprised the interview is in reading.Have you had your medical yet? I know they are starting a course in January so maybe worth contacting HR

Status
Not open for further replies.