• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee drivers, Anyone heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damo88

got my email back today, I passed the assessment but not to FGW's requirement :(

Who else is recruiting? :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nuttytoffee

Really sorry to hear that Damo. Keep looking and it will happen for you.
I got my 'do you fancy driving trains for us?' phonecall today!

Iceman1979

Hi Nutty & District;

Just wondering if they ask the same questions in DM Interview and the Structured Interview? And if they do, why bother interviewing people twice?Clearly this drags the whole process.......just asking guys since you went through the whole process.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Regards

The Iceman

Nuttytoffee

Hi Ice.
Not really to be honest. The pressure and emergency will be the same but they throw in a few more, plus some questions about your personality and circumstances. Personally I felt really comfortable with this interview and the interviewees did their best to make me feel so.

wmg75

Hi Guy's,
Just had a phonecall from FGW - Newport inviting me to attend on 22nd March for my part 2 Assessment!! really excited! :D I've been waiting for this phonecall since 15th October when I passed part 1.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nuttytoffee

WMG......Just keep practicing those reactions til you are confident you can go no further. As for the interview, the questions are around the forum, make sure your examples are strong, have a couple in reserve and don't get flustered when they put you under pressure. PS And dont forget your suit!

Scaramanga

Wmg - have you applied for Bristol then? I was on that assessment day back in Oct at Newport too. Still waiting though!

wmg75

Wmg - have you applied for Bristol then? I was on that assessment day back in Oct at Newport too. Still waiting though!

Hi Scaramanga, yes I applied for Bristol, my part one assessment was in the afternoon; I was begining to think that it was game over!!!

wanabedriver

Hi Guy's,
Just had a phonecall from FGW - Newport inviting me to attend on 22nd March for my part 2 Assessment!! really excited! :D I've been waiting for this phonecall since 15th October when I passed part 1.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mate,

I did the part one in October as well and still waiting for a date for stage two. Which depot have you applied for as I have applied for Paddington.

Also does anyone out there know the situation for Paddington depot in terms of numbers of trainees required and where they are at. Its just been so long since I applied and passed stage one I hope there are still vacancies at Paddington.

Thanks all

PeteH

Hi Mate,

I did the part one in October as well and still waiting for a date for stage two. Which depot have you applied for as I have applied for Paddington.

Also does anyone out there know the situation for Paddington depot in terms of numbers of trainees required and where they are at. Its just been so long since I applied and passed stage one I hope there are still vacancies at Paddington.

Thanks all

Crew room rumour has it that circa 700 drivers will be required across all First Group TOCs over the next couple of years; call it ~200 at FGW I guess...

Iceman1979

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know genuinely how many Drivers FGW are looking to recruite across their depots??

PeteH

I wouldn't be at all certain that they themselves knew the answer to that.

Well I got my email yesterday confirming I hadn't been successful. I can't wait to hear what the feedback is! Previous experience seems to count for nothing with Firstgroup!

Absolutely gutted! I thought my interview with the Driver Managers went ok! Just shows, you really don't know what they're looking for!

Ah well, at least I've got my psychometric passes again! Will have to watch out for vacancies everywhere else, and no doubt Firstgroup will not allow me to re-apply for any of their vacancies for six months.

notadriver

Established Member
I can't believe you were unsuccessful given the fact you've got previous experience as a qualified driver(!!)

lordturns

Hello everyone,

this is my first post and I must say having been an observer there is so much useful information on here particularly about FGW!

I applied on the FGW site back in August 2012 and this week I was sent an email and the material for the assessment day! To be honest, I was surprised and excited - now the real work starts. Wonder if I'll be going to Newport as many have said - would be nice if a few of you were so we could meet up and dissipate the anxiety before the tests.

I applied for Paddington initially, although would be reasonably flexible as I live just outside Peterborough!

Jeremy:)

Jd12345

hi jeremy

I too am new and I too applied for first great western in august last year and was sent the course material this week! excited doesnt explain it! you had any more info on when we can expect to be called for the assesments?

jamie

lordturns

hi jeremy

I too am new and I too applied for first great western in august last year and was sent the course material this week! excited doesnt explain it! you had any more info on when we can expect to be called for the assesments?

jamie

Hi Jamie,

likewise I am very excited and since the beginning of the week check my emails every day - nothing yet though. If I do hear something I will let you know as soon as.

Jeremy

TDK

Established Member
I can't believe you were unsuccessful given the fact you've got previous experience as a qualified driver(!!)

You are only qualified as a qualified driver for recruitmet purposes if:

1. You have been a qualified driver on the NR network
2. You have not been out of the job for more than 5 years.

If you do not fill these 2 criteria you will be treated exactly the same as anyone else applying for the job!

choo~choo

I applied for Atw, are the criteria based questions the same for fgw?? Iirc mine were working under pressure, working to rules and procedures, working alone, a training course over 2 weeks, & an emergency situation..

Jd12345

will do jeremy still waiting cant wait to get the date but so nervous at the same time

Last edited:

barrykas

Established Member
Pretty much given up on FGW now, to be honest. Took the Group Bordon and Trainability for Rules and Procedures in Reading (for Paddington) back in September...haven't heard a word since. And chasing it up with HR results in, "When we know, you'll know" responses.

lordturns

will do jeremy still waiting cant wait to get the date but so nervous at the same time

Hi Jamie,

are you practicing any of the tests and how are you getting on with them? I think it will be a good day but am under no illusion that it will be quite tough. Not heard anymore yet although patience is one of my strengths - wonder if we will be going to Newport as that appears to be where the day is held.....

badu

Hi guys

I have a Structured interview next week at Newport assessment centre.
Does anyone know if its Fgw that conduct this or someone from Opc?
Im quite nervous about this, never had a Structured interview before!

Dave.

Stone Cold

Well I received the generic you have not been successful with FGW from there central HR system.
I have asked for feedback, im sure that'll take months to appear as im interested as to what they say!!!
Only because I have been given an offer of TTD with another ToC starting May 6th.
Same answers given different outcome!

Brunel

There is recruitment freeze on First Great Western now due to the franchise mess on Great Western.

Status
Not open for further replies.