• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi All,

First Great Western are now looking for Trainees at most depots.

Best of luck to all that apply, me thinks this would be a cracking opportunity for successful applicants.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Why are some employers reluctant to post salary amounts instead of just 'a competitive salary'.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Why are some employers reluctant to post salary amounts instead of just 'a competitive salary'.

I imagine it's because they want people who ar egenuinel yinterested in the job, rather than being seduced by a set of numbers!

jscho84233

I applied to FGW when they advertised last year. Passed the assessments, but then some vacancies were withdrawn so my application ended there.

So, I'll go for this one again, I'm under no illusion that I'll automatically get past the initial papersift just because I got through it last time, but I'm glad I won't have to worry about the assesments this time if I do get thorough! Unless they've added different tests, but I'm under the impression that I would only have to do the elements that are over and above the ones I did last time? So I wouldn't have to do the Structured interview, Group Bourdon, Trainability and Fast Reaction test again. Am i right in thinking that?

Good luck to everyone else that applies for this, I agree with SkinnyDave, I reckon this would be a fantastic opportunity to get into the industry!

Netto

As TPE and FGW are part of the First Group, do you think an application for both would be deemed inappropriate? Torn between pinning my hopes on TPE, or broadening my options...

Thoughts?

Netto. :)

FGW_DID

Established Member
I applied to FGW when they advertised last year. Passed the assessments, but then some vacancies were withdrawn so my application ended there.

So, I'll go for this one again, I'm under no illusion that I'll automatically get past the initial papersift just because I got through it last time, but I'm glad I won't have to worry about the assesments this time if I do get thorough! Unless they've added different tests, but I'm under the impression that I would only have to do the elements that are over and above the ones I did last time? So I wouldn't have to do the Structured interview, Group Bourdon, Trainability and Fast Reaction test again. Am i right in thinking that?

Good luck to everyone else that applies for this, I agree with SkinnyDave, I reckon this would be a fantastic opportunity to get into the industry!

Same position as yourself, passed the assessments but didn't get any further so my application will be back in. The Assessment is valid for two years so no you should only have to do the Managers Interview and the medical (if, as you say, you get through the paper sift).

It surely must be a big plus point at the paper sift if you already have a valid assessment centre pass? Fingers crossed and good luck to all applicants.

I've spoken to a few trainee drivers as they've been passing through the station during their training, worst bit about it was I worked out that, that would have been the course I would have been on had I been successful with the last application! :( Still onwards and upwards!!:)

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Id apply for this to go alongside my TPE application but Northwest is far as my wife would let me relocate to I think

matthewa

This will sound stupid to most, but I'm not sure on this. Not that I have got accepted into anything, I would just like to know for future reference etc. :)

What would be the most suitable thing to wear if you get accepted and have to do all the assessments? A suit and tie?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
This will sound stupid to most, but I'm not sure on this. Not that I have got accepted into anything, I would just like to know for future reference etc. :)

What would be the most suitable thing to wear if you get accepted and have to do all the assessments? A suit and tie?

Correct

saracen

Yes, presentation is very important. You'll be judged as soon as you walk through the door.

wanabedriver

Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard from FGW as yet, and does anyone know if they do the mechanical comprehension or the driver fault finding test.

Many Thanks

saracen

Every TOC or FOC will perform mechanical comprehension and if by driver fault finding you mean the 'dial' test then yes, you would do that too as you follow a set ATOC test.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Every TOC or FOC will perform mechanical comprehension and if by driver fault finding you mean the 'dial' test then yes, you would do that too as you follow a set ATOC test.

Not every TOC does Mech test

Arriva Wales and FCC don't do it

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Just after opinions folks, the application form asks you to select "the nearest depot to your home", then asks you if you're willing to relocate. If I'd have to relocate regardless, am I indicating preference for depot?

jscho84233

Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard from FGW as yet, and does anyone know if they do the mechanical comprehension or the driver fault finding test.

Many Thanks

Applications are still open yet!! It'll be a few weeks yet before they finish shortlisting and sending assessment centre invites out. This is definately a waiting game!

FGW do the mechanical comprehension test and the fault finding (dials and cables) test. At least they did in February when I sat mine. The other tests they conduct are the Group Bourdon test (on paper, not PC), the trainability test, the fast reaction test and of course, the structured interview. Again this is based on my experience back in Feb.

wanabedriver

Thanks for your reply, how was the mechanical comprehension test, I don't feel overly confidant on this particular assessment and have bought the Baron's book and downloaded some tests online but still feel unsure as to the relevance of the stuff compared to the actual test.
E.g., there is an example of a tree and where to cut it to make it fall left, does this type of question seem familiar.

Appreciate your insight

fgwrich

Established Member
Applications are still open yet!! It'll be a few weeks yet before they finish shortlisting and sending assessment centre invites out. This is definately a waiting game!

FGW do the mechanical comprehension test and the fault finding (dials and cables) test. At least they did in February when I sat mine. The other tests they conduct are the Group Bourdon test (on paper, not PC), the trainability test, the fast reaction test and of course, the structured interview. Again this is based on my experience back in Feb.

Bit of a Question - When abouts in February did you take your assement in Newport?

jscho84233

I took it in Newbury, not Newport. No lunch provided though... I heard with a certain other TOC the aim is to acquire the coveted "lunch ticket", meaning you'd passed all the tests in the morning and would be sitting the structured interview in the afternoon! It was actually the last week in Jan.

The mechanical test, I didn't get that exact question, but the questions were along those lines. A lot of the questions were about gears - there were 4 or 5 gears meshed together and the questions were along the lines of if gear a turns clockwise, which way does gear d turn? Also think ropes and pulleys, balance beams (ie if a weight of x is placed on the end of one side, how much needs to be placed on the middle of the other side to make it balance). I kind of found it similar to GCSE physics when I did that many moons ago.

I know some people have slated the "How to become a train driver" book on here, but I bought it and found the practice material in there to be very similar to the actual test.

Fingers crossed to everyone who applied, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.