• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPA

Well now I'm thinking I might do it differently next time!! Nice technique sw1ller, why do they do that 2 hours thing? I've only ever done one job interview so I'm a bit rubbish at this sort of thing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red18

I logged onto the application then copied all the questions to word, I then spent a fair few days thinking up the best possible answers I could and putting them into the most articulate way I could, All the best

I did exactly that too. As mentioned before though, I did find that the spell check on Word gave different results to the one on the application form - so be careful if you choose to do it this way.

Good luck mate.

sw1ller

Established Member
Well now I'm thinking I might do it differently next time!! Nice technique sw1ller, why do they do that 2 hours thing? I've only ever done one job interview so I'm a bit rubbish at this sort of thing.

I honestly don't know, I've completed loads of application forms over the years and First is the only company I've come across that puts in a time limit. I'm sure others do but I'm not sure why. My guess, to put pressure on you to complete the form or to keep website traffic down to a minimum to avoid the site crashing when 50,000 people log on to fill out the forms. Anyway, just a guess.

RED18 "I did exactly that too. As mentioned before though, I did find that the spell check on Word gave different results to the one on the application form - so be careful if you choose to do it this way"

I agree here. However, any words that the First website spell check disagreed with, I double checked on Google. Made me think I was fairly stupid in areas. My thoughts on this are

1) should I spell it the way First want me to spell it, even if I know it to be wrong as this is how they like it.
2) If it gets through the computer sift with my spellings, when a human comes to look over the application they will want the correct spelling and not the First way of spelling words.

So I went with my spellings. Please don't ask me for examples, I just know I had to second guess myself a bit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just a thought on this actually...... Maybe they purposely put in words that are incorrectly spelled (spelt???.... too early, heavy night last night) so they know if you have used their spell check with no thought..... Hmmmm

SkinnyDave

Established Member
you will know soon enough if you made right move as I think Firsts system automatically kicks out applications for bad spelling and not enough key words

sw1ller

Established Member
you will know soon enough if you made right move as I think Firsts system automatically kicks out applications for bad spelling and not enough key words

I used this system on my application for FTPE and I managed to pass the initial sift, was made to wait around 8 weeks for my no compared to others who got theirs pretty much straight away, so who knows. Just have to wait and see like you say.

TDK

Established Member
What sort of evidence would be acceptable, TDK? If I got to interview, I was thinking of taking my tenancy agreement, to show that I rent and can give 1 month's notice, plus a few printouts from rightmove.co.uk showing the sort of places I'd be looking to rent if i did get a position.

For info, I've applied to Bristol and i live in Notts.

That is good thinking, as long as the panel are sure your intensions are to relocate and you submit the evidence you describe this will be in your favour!

TPA

Oh this is getting betterer by the day...........:?:?:?:?:?what are key words?

Quickthorn

That is good thinking, as long as the panel are sure your intensions are to relocate and you submit the evidence you describe this will be in your favour!

Thanks for that. :) I prefer walking to work, so I'd move to a suitable place. That seems to be another good point, from your post. I think the hard job would be to convince the panel that I am actually genuine.

Last edited:

TPA

I honestly don't know, I've completed loads of application forms over the years and First is the only company I've come across that puts in a time limit. I'm sure others do but I'm not sure why. My guess, to put pressure on you to complete the form or to keep website traffic down to a minimum to avoid the site crashing when 50,000 people log on to fill out the forms. Anyway, just a guess.

RED18 "I did exactly that too. As mentioned before though, I did find that the spell check on Word gave different results to the one on the application form

In almost all cases there is only one spelling traditionally defined by the Oxford English Dictionary, however, these days American spellings are slipping into common usage not least because of the influence of Microsoft, Google, etc. I would say use a dictionary to be sure and don't use words spelt by an HR/transport company who may be very good at what they do but won't always be right. Trust your judgement and do what you know to be right rather than what you think someone else might want you to do............

Just a thought on this actually...... Maybe they purposely put in words that are incorrectly spelled (spelt???.... too early, heavy night last night) so they know if you have used their spell check with no thought..... Hmmmm

I'm with you on this but are we all getting a bit paranoid? Regardless, if I get called forward its a 3 piece suit, bowler hat, umbrella and dictionary for the interview and assessment stage; bring it on!!!!!!!

daddy_badger

First applications are screened by 'Doris' who marks you down for not following the rules and procedures of the online system of flagging inappropriate words and mispelled words that contradict the english spelling. 'Doris' then grades your application and forwarding the successfull applications to the recruitment team or manager to proof read. This is where it takes time and after copious ammounts of coffee and comments like 'what the heck, look what doris has given me?' Successfull applicants are shortlisted or put on hold.

Not sure if the computer system is called doris.

TPA

Thank DB that is clearer!

On average what sort of time do you have to wait to hear after submitting an application?

Nuttytoffee

Just a few things here lads. Regarding re-locating, on my course (for the Oxford depot) we have lads form Crewe, Leicester, Leeds, Wolverhampton (me) and Ireland so don't fret too much about where you live. You can always get digs before looking to fully move. I never got asked for any evidence that I was prepared to move down, though I did take some just in case. However, I can make Oxford from Wolves in 1hr 20m so it's not too far away. I would definately take evidence with you though.
We will be learning 165/6's and 180's as part of or core traction training (so we will be hitting the 125mph heights), and plenty of drivers at Oxford sign HST's. It took me 5 months before I initially heard from the date of application, so be patient, and as has been stated before, if you get as far as assessment stage, you are assessed from the moment you enter the building to the moment you leave, even in the waiting areas so be careful how you are to others.
Finally...............Sw1ller, Oxford is for winners!!!

Last edited:

lobsterzest

Hi there everyone, been lurking for a while and thought I'd say hello. Also applied for the FGW trainee driver post, reading depot. Good luck to you all, I've found it really useful reading through these posts.

Red18

So now your applications have been submitted what do you all plan to do now?
Will you just sit back and wait or will you continue to apply to other TOC's?

I'm going to do two things.
1: Get studying. I've started reading parts of the Network Rail Rule Book (from the RSSB) to try and give me bit of a head start should I be successful.
2: Practice my handwriting. I have used a PC for most of my working life so my handwriting is not that great. I don't want to fail for something as simple as this.

With that in mind, does anyone know how much handwriting is required as part of the various assessments?
And, if handwriting is required, is it acceptable to print?
Just a thought. :)

anthony263

Established Member
I am also doing as much practicing and also doing some research on FGW and First Group which shoudl come in handy in the future

Red18

I read section 10 with interest. good advice however what do you know about the prospective employer?

Bottom line - Not as much as I should just yet.
I know a fair amount, company history etc.. but I have downloaded a huge amount of corporate info about First Group and FGW.
So hopefully, if I'm lucky enough to get to the assessments, I'll be able to tell them what the CEO has for tea and what the average height of the FGW employees is by gender, ethnic origin and accent.
Being a bit flippant I know, but that's how much research I think you need to do just to make sure.
To be honest, with such a long time to wait before assessments, why wouldn't you.
I'm looking at the whole process as a project.

TDK

Established Member
I'm going to do two things.
1: Get studying. I've started reading parts of the Network Rail Rule Book (from the RSSB) to try and give me bit of a head start should I be successful.
2: Practice my handwriting. I have used a PC for most of my working life so my handwriting is not that great. I don't want to fail for something as simple as this.

With that in mind, does anyone know how much handwriting is required as part of the various assessments?

To be fair it does not help in reading the NR rulebook as from experience trainees who have studied the rule book tend to get more confused on the rule course and actually hold the others back. I would leave it be and take the course from scratch without any prior knowledge as this nis what the course is designed for. If you want to learn something in advance to help you it would be learn all the stations on the routes and the junction names, tunnel names, LC names on the routes your depot signs. This will more relevent to your training at a later date than trying to understand the rule book!

When completing Drivers report form they actually ecourage you to print it in capital letters

Why would you want a head start on the other candidates, you will be known as a know it all and first impressions last a long time

TPA

If you want to learn something in advance to help you it would be learn all the stations on the routes and the junction names, tunnel names, LC names on the routes your depot signs.

Could you give us some direction as to where we could get all that information please TDK?

TDK

Established Member
If you want to learn something in advance to help you it would be learn all the stations on the routes and the junction names, tunnel names, LC names on the routes your depot signs.

Could you give us some direction as to where we could get all that information please TDK?

Satations are easy, Level crossings, tunnels and junction names I belive are on quale maps or if you want maps of some routes I have a few on my PC, I probably won't have the ones you are looking for but may have some that can help. PM me for details

barrykas

Established Member
You can also download a copy of the relevant Sectional Appendix from the Network Rail site, though note that they're only updated to 1st December 2012.

TPA

You can also download a copy of the relevant Sectional Appendix from the Network Rail site, though note that they're only updated to 1st December 2012.

Thanks very much, that is really useful.

Satations are easy, Level crossings, tunnels and junction names I belive are on quale maps or if you want maps of some routes I have a few on my PC, I probably won't have the ones you are looking for but may have some that can help. PM me for details

Thanks for that, i will be in touch.

#1 driver

So now your applications have been submitted what
Practice my handwriting. I have used a PC for most of my working life so my handwriting is not that great. I don't want to fail for something as simple as this.

any report or form is all about the info contained in it , not the style .
so printing is fine .
I always print on anything other people are going to see , just to make sure they can read it .

mindthedoors

I see what you're all doing. But wouldn't it be a complete waste of time learning routes for a job you might not even get?

I think it could potentially help in the interview stages, but I think the recruitment team are more interested in your experience with safety, trainability, and concentration skills.

Its a long wait, I'm not putting all my hopes onto hearing back anytime soon.

barrykas

Established Member
We're not suggesting you need to be able to call over the entire route from Paddington to Penzance, but having an idea of key points wouldn't hurt. ;)

Red18

To be fair it does not help in reading the NR rulebook as from experience trainees who have studied the rule book tend to get more confused on the rule course and actually hold the others back. ...............................

Great advice TDK. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.