• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western trainie train drivers, Reading, Paddington & Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Latecomer

It's fine so far Steve. The one thing I've noticed is that driver trainees these days come from all ages, walks of life and backgrounds. Sure I'm at the older end of the spectrum but there's nothing I've come across so far to put me off. I perhaps need to work a little harder than some of the younger trainees with regard to retention of new learning (but then I've been 25 years out of the classroom!). In other respects hopefully my other life experiences will come to bear.

Anyone who gets through the assessments has shown they have the basic ability, so provided you can take that forward and apply yourself there's no reason you can't go all the way. From what Ive been advised failure once training has commenced is quite a rare (but then hitting a trainee wage for 8 months or so means it's not an option to really contemplate!).

Steve1966

Thanks for the tips Latecomer.
Glad you are getting along with it.
I am in fact an ex tube train driver so I know how intense the courses you are on.
LUL have or had the attitude that once you get so far, you do go all the way so to speak.
Unless the person is either a numpty or downright dangerous.
Good luck in your training.
Hope it all works out.

espaceman3

What age are you espaceman?
I reckon I wasted my time at age 45.

I'm 43 , it wasn't distance from depot that was a problem , I live 10 minutes away from Reading ,and could make Paddington station in under an hour from
where I live .

theking

Do you think we will hear anything this side of the new year about passing the papershift/assesment dates?

LCC106

Established Member
Do you think we will hear anything this side of the new year about passing the papershift/assesment dates?

Don't know how FGW works but with another 3 weeks to Christmas hopefully you will hear.

Good luck with it and a slight hijack here, but what length of time after an interview would you think it acceptable to email to find out if you've passed the interview stage? Northern Rail for me...

Last edited:

sultanofswing

From my experience no, I would say a more realistic date for FGW is around February time. I applied in July and found out in September.

My contract arrived, wahoo!!

Last edited:

kart

Got my contract in the post today! As of the 6th February I will be an employer for FGW as a Trainee Train Driver.

Three years of trying and knock backs has finally paid off!! I can't wait to be a part of the railway!

TDK

Established Member
I'm 43 , it wasn't distance from depot that was a problem , I live 10 minutes away from Reading ,and could make Paddington station in under an hour from
where I live .
As long as a TOC can get 5 years out of you they will employ tou if you are what they want.

espaceman3

As long as a TOC can get 5 years out of you they will employ tou if you are what they want.

Yes ,fair enough , well I've been with my current employers for 26 years (since I was 17) so I don't tend to move around much !

fordylad

To all the guys who start in feb, how long did you wait from attending the medical to receiving a contract,

kart

3 days after the medical my status changed to "Successful at medical". How did it go mate?

hants-man

To all the guys who start in feb, how long did you wait from attending the medical to receiving a contract,

Just over 4 weeks. If it starts to look a bit close to your notice period, give them a call and explain the problem. I guess any contracts going out in the next few weeks will be fighting with the Christmas post too.

fordylad

I was told my the doctor that I'd passed, he wrote f1 no restrictions on my med file! Then said see you in 5 years

driver9000

Established Member
Congratulations gentlemen, you'll love it! :D

Its an amazing feeling to get that letter containing your start date! I still have my letter, definitely would have hugged my postman that day if I'd been in when he delivered it.

fordylad

Oh right cool. What happens next then ? I think I'm about to burst with excitement. Although we have lots of hard work ahead

sultanofswing

It says in the contract we get paid in 4 weekly arrears, does that mean we get paid monthly? and that we will have to be working for 2 months before our first pay check? Or will we be paid at the end of the first month (after the first 4 weeks?)

hants-man

I know what you mean Fordylad. I'm a bit like a kid waiting for Christmas at the moment. Counting the days...

Sultanofswing, it is literally every 4 weeks, ie. every 28 days. So it will be out of sync with any monthly direct debits etc. Everyone gets paid on the same day, so you'd need someone from FGW when the first payday after 6th Feb actually is. The arrears part just means that they pay you for the previous 4 weeks work.

Status
Not open for further replies.