• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Westerns new Site - Good or Bad??

Like or Dis-Like (please leave a comment to why)

• Yes - Love it

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No - Doesn't Appeal to me

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeholmes

Hey Guys, Im doing a report on school on a few choosen websites and one of them is www.firstgreatwestern.com and i was wondering what you guys think about it, because some of your oppinons could really help me out!

If you could say or leave a comment i would REALLY appreciate it

Many thanks

Joe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I haven't voted because I'm probably somewhere in between. I like the look of the website, looks very sleek and professional. However, the navigation in my opinion is terrible, and that home page simply cannot be functioning correctly.

Good start First, but needs some work ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like and dislike it. It's a vast improvement on their previous website mind, but I just can't get used to it!

Liking it was helped by getting an FGW Great Fares ticket each way for £5 SC on the 0721 direct HST to Padd on the 20th, returning on the 1242 on the 21st of May! 30p a mile altogether for the 300 miles. Value indeed!

Sprog

Established Member
I think its great! :!:

Sleek, modern, lots of good features....

It gets my vote.......! :)

Jim

Established Member
joeholmes said:
Hey Guys, Im doing a report on school on a few choosen websites and one of them is www.firstgreatwestern.com and i was wondering what you guys think about it, because some of your oppinons could really help me out!

If you could say or leave a comment i would REALLY appreciate it

Many thanks

Joe
Do I seem to get the gist you want us to do some of your schoolwork;)

I love it TBH. It as sprog said, is so sleek & modern & looks verysmart

joeholmes

In no way are you guys doing my homework, i asked my teacher if it is okay to obtain 2nd hand information and he said that will help me grade, so any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I actually know what is meant by the navigation side of things, tis a little tricky.. How could first improve this though?

Joe

The Snap

Established Member
Don't use FGW because they don't operate near me, but the site looks cool and very proffessional and attractive - So I voted 'Yes'. :p

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Website is sleek, modern and extremely professional looking. Easy navigation is present, nice colour scheme, however some of the text is a little hard to read, particularly if you're vision isn't that good. However on the whole a very good website with a lot of very useful information.

edit: may I ask whats wrong with the navigation?

Tom B

Established Member
Looks a bit too cluttered and the colours are awful IMO. Plus there's needless flash stuff.

And it uses ASP!

Sprog

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Looks a bit too cluttered and the colours are awful IMO. Plus there's needless flash stuff.

And it uses ASP!

ASP...? :scratch: :dontknow: :oops:

devon_metro

Established Member
I like it! They need to get some of teh links sorted but it looks very modern and smart much like the new livery!

The Gricer

Sprog said:
ASP...? :scratch: :dontknow: :oops:
ASP (Active Server Pages) is a server side scripting language used on Microsoft based severs. Whether a site uses ASP on an MS server or say PHP on a Linux server makes little or no difference to the end user, both 'build' the page at the server end before sending it. (I suspect the simple fact that it is Microsoft is the reason for Cockfoster's remark!)

Incidently, those of you who like MS bashing might like to know that IE7 (still in beta I know) doesn't seem to show the menu bar on the Great Western pages, and makes the South West Trains home page look a total mess!

Frank

Tom B

Established Member
Mhmm, I have tried scripting in both ASP and PHP and prefer the latter ;) though it's a matter of personal preference. According to exam boards, PHP isn't a server-side scripting language, if they ask that question you're meant to put ASP :roll:.

Surely IE7 should load *any* page W3C page? Which the FGW site *says* it complies with.

The Gricer

Cockfosters said:
Mhmm, I have tried scripting in both ASP and PHP and prefer the latter ;) though it's a matter of personal preference.
If I'm honest, so do I!

Cockfosters said:
Surely IE7 should load *any* page W3C page? Which the FGW site *says* it complies with.
Well yes, it SHOULD do of course. Could it be that perhaps MS have got the standards correct and everyone else has got it wrong?:rolleyes: No, I'm never gonna convince you on that one am I? ;)

Frank

T

Tom

Considering all other web browsers show it correctly, I think its probably IE7 rendering it incorrectly.

Tom B

Established Member
If it complies with W3C standards it shouldn't matter which browser you use, it should appear as planned. Unfortunately MSIE's acceptance of sloppy coding is causing plenty of trouble because people write code that will work in MSIE, isn't W3C compliant and then yuo can't view it!

The Gricer

tubechallenger said:
Considering all other web browsers show it correctly, I think its probably IE7 rendering it incorrectly.
Yes, well I thought it was obvious that my last remark wasn't meant seriously.

Interestingly, (to some at least!) the FGW home page does validate:-
http://validator.w3...?uri=www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

where as the South West Trains one shows quite a few problems:-
http://validator.w3...?uri=www.southwesttrains.co.uk

The Great Western page (which is of course the subject of this thread) looks like this in IE7:-
fgw_ie7.jpg

it should look like this (this is in Firefox):-
fgw_ff.jpg

Frank

Tom B

Established Member
Ouch. One would hope they fix such problems before releasing it.

I didn't know about that validator (or if I did I'd forgotten about it), thanks for the link :).

Edit: umm, BRJ fails. Time to fix!

joeholmes

Do you think the site would be better in the syle of the FCC website?

www.firstcapitalconnect.com

Im asking from the target markets (eg, a family day out) not the from the more technical side!

Do you think it would be more wise to change the site into the stile of the FGW site to the FCC site?

Do you think that would be a good idea?

Joe

T

Tom

Each part of the company needs its own style to differentiate it from other parts so I don't think its a good idea.

Coxster

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Each part of the company needs its own style to differentiate it from other parts so I don't think its a good idea.
I agree to some extent however I think there should be some similarities to identify the First Group brand.

joeholmes

No you see, i would like to know why due to the fact that the target market, familys and just the average commuter wants to find his facts easyily and quickly.

I know for a fact that FGW have recieved many complaints on the complex nature of the website. FGW are changing there website soon. But to what who knows?

Joe

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I was joking but also trying to find a way to say I couldn't say what precisely is wrong with it. There's lot of bits I can't say I like, but hey.

Liking the new colours and stuff, looks more professional than their pre-April website! Took a lot longer to find the timetable alterations though than I'd like though, which I don't like.

lev441

joeholmes said:
Do you think the site would be better in the syle of the FCC website?

www.firstcapitalconnect.com

Im asking from the target markets (eg, a family day out) not the from the more technical side!

Do you think it would be more wise to change the site into the stile of the FGW site to the FCC site?

Do you think that would be a good idea?

Joe

I don't like the FCC website one bit! So much harder to navigate round. I also don't like how its not the electrical sweep thingy but rather blocks (supposidly to look like the citys tower blocks)

H

HR2

That site is far better than some TOC sites I could name and easier to use for an old git like me. Seems to respond to queries readily and quckly enough as well. Yes all-in-all I like it. :D

Coxster

Established Member
After looking at the images, passengers may think they are getting a Class 175 - misleading advertising ;)

Coxster

Established Member
WSXFan said:
People think 175s are Great Westerns anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference TBH!
More understandable that they get mistaken for FGW units as boths 175s and FGW serve Cardiff but on Capital Connect?!

Status
Not open for further replies.