• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

KGGXXXY

A dedicated thread for discussions solely on First Glasgow No1 and 2, routes, fleet, news and developments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
The summer service changes are going thought at the moment, but I dare say some other changes might take place because of the loss of SPT contracts.

I wonder if the other 25 brand new single deckers will get approved?

route101

Established Member
Do we need single deckers ? Id say new ones to replace the 51 plate toiletboxes . Got enough e300s on the 2 and 3 .

smtglasgow

First seem to be putting more single deckers on 10/57/57a and the 60/60a. Presumably this causes some overcrowding in the peaks and at school time, but maybe the savings outweigh the inconvenience. The old 40 was single decked for years, so could the 60/60a cope if it lost the Tridents? There are routes in Glasgow using Tridents because that’s all that’s available.

Also, I’d imagine that First might be looking at investing in The One – it must be one of their most profitable routes. The current buses are only 6 years old, but they’re hammered daily on the Expressway. Old stock could be cascaded out or retrofitted for the LEZ and put on less strenuous work.

route101

Established Member
First seem to be putting more single deckers on 10/57/57a and the 60/60a. Presumably this causes some overcrowding in the peaks and at school time, but maybe the savings outweigh the inconvenience. The old 40 was single decked for years, so could the 60/60a cope if it lost the Tridents? There are routes in Glasgow using Tridents because that’s all that’s available.

Also, I’d imagine that First might be looking at investing in The One – it must be one of their most profitable routes. The current buses are only 6 years old, but they’re hammered daily on the Expressway. Old stock could be cascaded out or retrofitted for the LEZ and put on less strenuous work.

The 10 had its frequency decreased too , every 15 minutes . Singles on 38 too , fine outwith the peaks but run a single in the peaks and its packed . The 6 is another where it seems half are singles yet the lowheight e 400s supposed to on the route.
The one has a decent freq , does drop off at night though.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Having been on a west (Clydebank)-bound Trident on the 60 right in the midst of the evening peak more than once, I'm not sure that fully converting it back to singles is a good idea, even with the associated cost savings of such a move. Same with the 60A, as that is also routinely rammed in the evening rush, even with Tridents being the overall dominant vehicle type. One hopes that with the incoming new stock, a major reshuffle takes place so that Geminis (both B7TLs & B9TLs) come to dominate both routes.

When it comes down to it, the vast majority of Tridents, as well as they have served the city and it's environs, are life expired and fit only for the scrappers. Only a select handful of the best examples are likely to even be considered for transfer elsewhere and even then I wouldn't bet on it happening. Just a matter of waiting and seeing what happens, as is always the way with this sorta thing...

Yeah, The One is a heck of a success story, the passenger numbers testifying to that.

If FiG were to replace the route's current E300s anytime soon, I'm not 100% sure what they'd go for. Something from Volvo/Wright like in the past would be nice and much better suited to the nature of the route (a la East Coast Buses' Eclipse 3-bodied B8RLEs), but something from A.D.L's range would be a far more likely choice, considering they've standardized on the latter since 2014.

PS - the B8RLE/Eclipse 3 talk is hypothetical and nothing but pure speculation on my part, so please don't take any of it seriously lol

route101

Established Member
Having been on a west (Clydebank)-bound Trident on the 60 right in the midst of the evening peak more than once, I'm not sure that fully converting it back to singles is a good idea, even with the associated cost savings of such a move. Same with the 60A, as that is also routinely rammed in the evening rush, even with Tridents being the overall dominant vehicle type. One hopes that with the incoming new stock, a major reshuffle takes place so that Geminis (both B7TLs & B9TLs) come to dominate both routes.

When it comes down to it, the vast majority of Tridents, as well as they have served the city and it's environs, are life expired and fit only for the scrappers. Only a select handful of the best examples are likely to even be considered for transfer elsewhere and even then I wouldn't bet on it happening. Just a matter of waiting and seeing what happens, as is always the way with this sorta thing...

Yeah, The One is a heck of a success story, the passenger numbers testifying to that.

If FiG were to replace the route's current E300s anytime soon, I'm not 100% sure what they'd go for. Something from Volvo/Wright like in the past would be nice and much better suited to the nature of the route (a la East Coast Buses' Eclipse 3-bodied B8RLEs), but something from A.D.L's range would be a far more likely choice, considering they've standardized on the latter since 2014.

PS - the B8RLE/Eclipse 3 talk is hypothetical and nothing but pure speculation on my part, so please don't take any of it seriously lol
Still see a few singles on the 60 . I think when it was the 40 it was every 10 mins or more frequent but now its evry 2 mins .
My local route is mostly Tridents except for Sunday for some reason . Its the 02 plates that are in the worst state and suffer the most breakdowns .

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
In my neck of the woods, it's 53 plate B7TL's on the 18, 51 plate B7s and B10s on the 263.

The B7TL's on the 18 have quite frankly had it. They seem to constantly break down and really do need either refurbed mechanically and interior wise or the scrapper...

Last edited:

Scott mac

Lots of 54 plate b7tls will be moved about when the new e400mmc arrive the 25 e200mmc could go to the one routes with the e300 moveing to take over the 51 plate single decks

route101

Established Member
In my neck of the woods, it's 53 plate B7TL's on the 18, 51 plate B7s and B10s on the 263.

The B7TL's on the 18 have quite frankly had it. They seem to constantly break down and really do need either refurbed mechanically and interior wise or the scrapper...

Always thought the B7TLs were pretty reliable , 18 could do with new buses .

route101

Established Member
Something a bit rare but there was an E300 on a 75 this morning.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The ex-South Yorkshire YN53-reg B7TLs allocated to Blantyre (31787-789 & 31793-31803*) were hard worked on the notorious Crimicar Lane/Halfway route in/out of Sheffield. They've had little respite since arriving in Glasgow, what with the long slog on East Kilbride Rd (between Rutherglen's Cathkin & East Kilbride's Nerston) being a part of the 18 (and the Gardenhall 21s). Taking these two factors into account, it's little wonder that their failure rate is higher than that of their fellow Geminis. Even a light refurb/retrim would do them the world of good for their final years in service, given that a heavy refurb would be wasted on the fact that they'll be 19 y/o by the time the L.E.Z is rolled out in '22. When all is said and done though, they are still decent performers for their age.

*: The whole batch (787-804) were once Blantyre-allocated, before 790-792 were moved to The Borders in 2012, Glasgow receiving 3 Eclipse Solar-bodied L94UBs in exchange. They were moved on again (before the sale to W.C.M, mind you); 790/791 to West Yorkshire & 792 to Scotland East's Livingston. 31804 currently resides at Caledonia, being that depot's oldest Gemini.

route101

Established Member
The ex-South Yorkshire YN53-reg B7TLs allocated to Blantyre (31787-789 & 31793-31803*) were hard worked on the notorious Crimicar Lane/Halfway route in/out of Sheffield. They've had little respite since arriving in Glasgow, what with the long slog on East Kilbride Rd (between Rutherglen's Cathkin & East Kilbride's Nerston) being a part of the 18 (and the Gardenhall 21s). Taking these two factors into account, it's little wonder that their failure rate is higher than that of their fellow Geminis. Even a light refurb/retrim would do them the world of good for their final years in service, given that a heavy refurb would be wasted on the fact that they'll be 19 y/o by the time the L.E.Z is rolled out in '22. When all is said and done though, they are still decent performers for their age.

*: The whole batch (787-804) were once Blantyre-allocated, before 790-792 were moved to The Borders in 2012, Glasgow receiving 3 Eclipse Solar-bodied L94UBs in exchange. They were moved on again (before the sale to W.C.M, mind you); 790/791 to West Yorkshire & 792 to Scotland East's Livingston. 31804 currently resides at Caledonia, being that depot's oldest Gemini.

I recall them being at Cumbernauld too split between Blantyre . There is also the rare ex parkhead 06 plate Geminis and 55 plate ex London one . The 18 has had these 53 plates for some time . Funny to think they used have Scotstoun 54 plates before that.

overthewater

Established Member
25 deckers are coming.. The other 50 plus are still up for debate and could change to what will Actully appear. So the rumor mill is a bit off.

Volvodart

Established Member
They will need more than 25 to hit the 20% target by the end of the year, as there is not much funded for conversions (I think around 50 buses in total over all operators). If it is 650 buses in the zone, they will need 130 by the end of the year. I think they have 86 currently, but am unsure how many of them are outwith the zone.

overthewater

Established Member
Only 25 Have been signed off. I dare say the 50 to 75 may will appear but maybe there trying to get deckers instead of singles?

smtglasgow

You wonder how First are going to square the investment circle in Glasgow. The older Tridents and the B7L’s are in a state but still out all day on high-profile services like the 38. Can’t see how Firstgroup has the resources to buy new stock in the numbers needed to meet the LEZ targets. Assuming First are still here over the next few years, I think the best we can look for is limited new vehicles, newish cascades and more mid-life refurbs like 37195 – although even that involves a lot of retrofitting to Euro 6.

The cynic in me thinks that some targeted frequency reductions might help them meet targets...

Volvodart

Established Member
They should be buying over 50 new buses every year because of the fleet age profile, so the extra new buses over and above that is not that great. Every service change seems to knock something off the PVR.

smtglasgow

Completely agree – I just don’t know how they do it. Firstgroup is so weak I doubt they can stump up the cash needed to buy the new stock they require. Glasgow has only had 57 new double deckers since the 2009 Gemini's - the fleet is a mess. More generally, the Scottish operations seem to be adrift at the moment. Nothing seems to be happening – even the route branding in Glasgow seems to be progressing at a glacial pace. And Aberdeen’s fleet isn’t getting any younger…

route101

Established Member
Seen a 38 go eastbound over the Cathedral st bridge , must of been awkward at the other end at the lights .

CM

Seen a 38 go eastbound over the Cathedral st bridge , must of been awkward at the other end at the lights .

I very much doubt that. Can you honestly say a bus driver would deliberatly drive the wrong way down a one way street.

route101

Established Member
I very much doubt that. Can you honestly say a bus driver would deliberatly drive the wrong way down a one way street.
No I watched it go that way . I can see why someone is confused with the diversion at the moment . Probably not deliabrately .

KGGXXXY

Got a bus at Jamaica St, get to the stop at Eglinton toll (driver change stop) controller: "everybody off no got a driver", had a day ticket so I thought I'll do part of a journey as it was too hot to wait got to Shawlands 5 minutes later the same rickety Barbie Plaxton turns up with a driver. Surely the controller could have said to folk might be a wait. the full bus that emptied muttered enough that it sounded like a semi regular occurance with this route. Luckily I don't rely on this bus on a daily basis. Sorry for the rant as someone who lived in Edinburgh for a decade before returning west I think I'm spoilt by Lothian and expect too much.

route101

Established Member
Got a bus at Jamaica St, get to the stop at Eglinton toll (driver change stop) controller: "everybody off no got a driver", had a day ticket so I thought I'll do part of a journey as it was too hot to wait got to Shawlands 5 minutes later the same rickety Barbie Plaxton turns up with a driver. Surely the controller could have said to folk might be a wait. the full bus that emptied muttered enough that it sounded like a semi regular occurance with this route. Luckily I don't rely on this bus on a daily basis. Sorry for the rant as someone who lived in Edinburgh for a decade before returning west I think I'm spoilt by Lothian and expect too much.

Thats the driver change over point. Had a few times ive had to move bus. Caley has driver changeover points that are quite spread out . The southbound bus stop opposite caley depot is only used for driver pick ups not changeovers. Yes , i feel Lothian have a much better fleet.

KGGXXXY

Thats the driver change over point. Had a few times ive had to move bus. Caley has driver changeover points that are quite spread out . The southbound bus stop opposite caley depot is only used for driver pick ups not changeovers. Yes , i feel Lothian have a much better fleet.
Yeah I know it's the changeover spot used to be the star bar/saw centre in Larkfield days, was visiting my folks who stay at the terminus of one of the variations of 38 and the next one wasn't due for 30 minutes if a driver didn't turn up, was just hot bothered n fed up needed a rant. But yeah the majority of the fleet are atrocious. I live near the 9 route lipsticks on pigs come to mind pink fronts and some vynils yet the seats are threadbare.

Lothian_Bus

Completely agree – I just don’t know how they do it. Firstgroup is so weak I doubt they can stump up the cash needed to buy the new stock they require. Glasgow has only had 57 new double deckers since the 2009 Gemini's - the fleet is a mess. More generally, the Scottish operations seem to be adrift at the moment. Nothing seems to be happening – even the route branding in Glasgow seems to be progressing at a glacial pace. And Aberdeen’s fleet isn’t getting any younger…
57 since 2009 is nowhere near good enough for a major city like Glasgow. I appreciate it is difficult for a private operator such as First who have operations across the whole UK but that definitely needs addressed.

route101

Established Member
Yeah I know it's the changeover spot used to be the star bar/saw centre in Larkfield days, was visiting my folks who stay at the terminus of one of the variations of 38 and the next one wasn't due for 30 minutes if a driver didn't turn up, was just hot bothered n fed up needed a rant. But yeah the majority of the fleet are atrocious. I live near the 9 route lipsticks on pigs come to mind pink fronts and some vynils yet the seats are threadbare.

The 9 is mostly eclipses . Has its driver changeover at the Bus station. Would not be surprised if first gave up the 9 or just ran it city to braehead /pENLIEE.
Noticed last few weeks E400MMC on 60 and more toiletboxes on 60. E200 a 5.
Whatever happened to the x reg tridents? Are they stored somewhere?

Strathclyder

Established Member
The 9 is mostly eclipses . Has its driver changeover at the Bus station. Would not be surprised if first gave up the 9 or just ran it city to braehead /pENLIEE.
Noticed last few weeks E400MMC on 60 and more toiletboxes on 60. E200 a 5.
Whatever happened to the x reg tridents? Are they stored somewhere?
The 9 seems to do rather well, with healthy loadings throughout the day. Can't see FiG pulling out of the Glasgow-Paisley corridor just yet. Although I do concur with the fact that they really do need a proper internal refurbishment; e.g 37195 etc. Would do them a world of good.

All the X-reg Tridents have been withdrawn; the oldest ones in service now are the 3 remaining Y-reg examples (32989/32991/32999).

route101

Established Member
The 9 seems to do rather well, with healthy loadings throughout the day. Can't see FiG pulling out of the Glasgow-Paisley corridor just yet. Although I do concur with the fact that they really do need a proper internal refurbishment; e.g 37195 etc. Would do them a world of good.

All the X-reg Tridents have been withdrawn; the oldest ones in service now are the 3 remaining Y-reg examples (32989/32991/32999).

Just 3 y reg ? I thought there was more ,get one on the 31 last few days. The y reg ones were all at Blantyre but few now at Caley.