• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

CM

Remember First Glasgow also took on McGills with their 901 and 901X services from Glasgow to Largs in 2008. First were using 07-plate distinctively branded B7TLs with the 901X cutting out Greenock town centre and instead running along Drumfrochar Road. The First buses were more prone to random acts of vandalism in the Greenock scheme than McGills, I believe...

As for McGills 904, it’s usually the domain of very tired Citaros and B7RLEs and I’d say at least once a month you’ll see one waiting for a recovery truck in Largs.

I bet it wasn't the local youths carrying out the attacks on Firsts vehicles in Greenock either....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Out of interest , how would you know that?

I was wondering this too because I think I seen an older double decker on a 90 at Braehead yesterday so potentially the same bus. It was behind the hedge I was beside only seen the upper part of it though so not 100% sure what type of bus it was

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Out of interest , how would you know that?
I was wondering this too because I think I seen an older double decker on a 90 at Braehead yesterday so potentially the same bus. It was behind the hedge I was beside only seen the upper part of it though so not 100% sure what type of bus it was

Bustimes lists all vehicle allocations at First Glasgow.

awsnews

Bustimes lists all vehicle allocations at First Glasgow.
It isn't always 100% accurate with allocations and reporting, for example nothing is showing for the 208 in Dumbarton at the moment which isn't unusual. 32595 was out on the 1D on 02/08 but the journey I captured it on in Clydebank wasn't captured by Bustimes.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It isn't always 100% accurate with allocations and reporting, for example nothing is showing for the 208 in Dumbarton at the moment which isn't unusual. 32595 was out on the 1D on 02/08 but the journey I captured it on in Clydebank wasn't captured by Bustimes.

True, however generally it's on the ball.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Unsure if it's been mentioned but seen 2 ALX400s in Caledonia in the new livery with purple fronts.

Must be trying to freshen up some older buses to go onto the routes that aren't affected by LEZ at all. Wonder how many more years they will scrape out of them

I'm sure there are 2 52 plate ALX400 Volvo B7TLs that were previously used in Falkirk and Bannockburn this maybe the 2 that have the purple fronts, supposedly heading back down South

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I’m wondering whether perhaps it may have been a president bodied B7TL the ones generally found on then X8/6A as I’ve seen them on the 90 beforehand. Would make more sense.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Must be trying to freshen up some older buses to go onto the routes that aren't affected by LEZ at all. Wonder how many more years they will scrape out of them

It’s seems odd. They should concentrate on getting the E300s finished and starting on the 65 plate E200MMCs and E400MMCs as they’re starting to look a bit grubby now.

Some of the ALX400s were repainted into Olympia not so long ago and look far tidier. You sometimes wonder the logic in doing this rather than holding off and putting them all into the new livery.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It’s seems odd. They should concentrate on getting the E300s finished and starting on the 65 plate E200MMCs and E400MMCs as they’re starting to look a bit grubby now.

Some of the ALX400s were repainted into Olympia not so long ago and look far tidier. You sometimes wonder the logic in doing this rather than holding off and putting them all into the new livery.

Yeah I've never understood how First decide on what to revamp next. The 1s could do with a rebrand too. Seen some of them where part of the branding has been torn off of the back because of how worn out it's got

PaulMc7

Established Member
I’m wondering whether perhaps it may have been a president bodied B7TL the ones generally found on then X8/6A as I’ve seen them on the 90 beforehand. Would make more sense.

Yeah possibly. Seen one of them on the 8 earlier in the week too. Seems crazy to put such old buses on routes as long as the 8/90 though

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Yeah possibly. Seen one of them on the 8 earlier in the week too. Seems crazy to put such old buses on routes as long as the 8/90 though

In fairness they are pretty decent buses - they were definitely some of the nicer ex-London buses that we received.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Yeah I've never understood how First decide on what to revamp next. The 1s could do with a rebrand too. Seen some of them where part of the branding has been torn off of the back because of how worn out it's got

I have an odd feeling that the 1 may be next to receive some new stock.

You’d think they would be painted first before the 13 plates were touched.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I have an odd feeling that the 1 may be next to receive some new stock.

You’d think they would be painted first before the 13 plates were touched.

Yeah I hope the 1s get new stock soon. A lot of the buses on them have tired out a lot lately on the expressway and I think they'd be better with something new. Such a good success story and the fact all buses from about 2ish til even the last couple are very busy show that new buses wouldn't be wasted there. A problem at peak times I find with the 1s is that they are so crowded that people who may be going further than say Yoker or through Garscadden and Drumchapel miss out on the bus they need because of how busy they are. I'd possibly even add more in to Mountblow/Drumchapel than they're already is

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yeah I hope the 1s get new stock soon. A lot of the buses on them have tired out a lot lately on the expressway and I think they'd be better with something new. Such a good success story and the fact all buses from about 2ish til even the last couple are very busy show that new buses wouldn't be wasted there. A problem at peak times I find with the 1s is that they are so crowded that people who may be going further than say Yoker or through Garscadden and Drumchapel miss out on the bus they need because of how busy they are. I'd possibly even add more in to Mountblow/Drumchapel than they're already is

I'd hope that the next new buses would be for "The One" and the 9/9A with the current One stock going to displace older singles. Perhaps they could also get some more unbranded deckers not dedicated to any particular route to start withdrawing the ALX400s/Geminis.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd hope that the next new buses would be for "The One" and the 9/9A with the current One stock going to displace older singles. Perhaps they could also get some more unbranded deckers not dedicated to any particular route to start withdrawing the ALX400s/Geminis.

Yeah would be smart to do the 9/9A up too along with the 1s. I do like the look of the newer deckers unbranded tbh. Could definitely be nice with more of them around to use the current buses elsewhere

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
B10BLE 61617 has been repainted!

Another odd repaint when so much newer stock requires repainting - not to mention FSE and Aberdeen’s fleet!

I have to admit, though, it really suits it! I always secretly hoped a B10BLE would be done as I knew they’d suit it. I find the older stock suits the urban livery far better than they ADL stock.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Another odd repaint when so much newer stock requires repainting - not to mention FSE and Aberdeen’s fleet!

I have to admit, though, it really suits it! I always secretly hoped a B10BLE would be done as I knew they’d suit it. I find the older stock suits the urban livery far better than they ADL stock.

They're phasing out Barbie, hence why it was repainted.

CM

They're phasing out Barbie, hence why it was repainted.

Then they should phase it out by painting buses that they actually plan on keeping and not ones that are going to end up in a skip fairly shortly. Typical First logic.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Then they should phase it out by painting buses that they actually plan on keeping and not ones that are going to end up in a skip fairly shortly. Typical First logic.

It did surprise me to see it done, i guess it's all down to whether or not it'll be here long enough to make up for the repaint cost.

singlemalt

my first post saw some deckers at caledonia repainted 31143 52 plates will post pics when i learn how with the purple front loaded with luggage racks from the old single deck airport buses which have been transformed into normal luggage racked buses

singlemalt

2623F9FF-A0ED-41A1-BFB3-51EECFECFA22.jpeg 40F34171-523E-4B28-8CD5-0C806ED53078.jpeg D892F502-5FB2-4EC3-B2FF-B09476015A28.jpeg 3383265C-7B76-4E2B-AC43-6D5BAD34BC3A.jpeg DC74F8F7-A4FF-4389-9E9B-ACCBA924C18B.jpeg 354583E3-5DEF-4B20-9CBE-E0A45992DE29.jpeg
my first post saw some deckers at caledonia repainted 31143 52 plates will post pics when i learn how with the purple front loaded with luggage racks from the old single deck airport buses which have been transformed into normal luggage racked buses