• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
What service changes do you guys see happening in October? There's far less for next week than I actually thought there would be tbh

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

awsnews

Fleet movements due by the end of this month (don't have all fleet numbers **subject to change**)

Remaining vehicles in barbie will be painted in the coming weeks or removed from fleet subject to management decisions

Scrapped (All B7ls now off fleet)
*edit*

Dumbarton still have quite a few left in Barbie, I have 61604/8/9/ 61611/12/13/53 (61653 having only just arrived) I am not sure about 61612 as it doesn't appear to be tracking but I think it is still in use. 61609 also shows up as active as late as yesterday which would contradict it being scrapped unless it's machine is in something else at the moment.

singlemalt

The old 66 was single-decker for years before the E400 turned up – and there were probably more punters in those days. It might lead to some over-crowding between the city and Clarkston in the peaks, but otherwise should be OK. I’ve been half expecting First to reduce the Clydebank end of the route for a while. I’ve never seen it busy beyond Anniesland, but it can get packed on Great Western Rd if there’s a gap or when the schools come out.
not true they had leyland olympians just after the great fire of larkfield

CM

That was in the days of Strathclyde Buses though, this topic is about First Glasgow and they ran the 66 for years using mostly single deckers.

Bus Lightyear

From 2000 to 2011 the 66 was predominantly single deck. The W-reg Volvo B10ble ALX300s were the first large batch of single decks to run the service but were moved to Aberdeen 6 months later and replaced by X-reg Scanias. Only small numbers of doubles were used during that time like the Volvo Nordic triaxles.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
From 2000 to 2011 the 66 was predominantly single deck. The W-reg Volvo B10ble ALX300s were the first large batch of single decks to run the service but were moved to Aberdeen 6 months later and replaced by X-reg Scanias. Only small numbers of doubles were used during that time like the Volvo Nordic triaxles.

Those were pretty big buses! I remember them well.

I think the 6 could run single deck operation. Look at the 2 (albeit it’s more frequent but both are pretty busy routes is my point). It would be nice to see some newer singles on it, however like the E300s or E200s as the B7RLEs are too tired for a huge route like that. Perhaps we’ll see a mixture of singles and the remaining deckers with the remaining E400s on the route.

smtglasgow

To be fair to singlemalt, there was a period before the E400’s arrived when there were a few low height VO’s on the route – think they were N reg. They were shocking buses by that stage, shabby inside with leaks in the top deck – not great when you sit on a damp seat and wonder if it’s the leaky roof or the previous passenger.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Those were pretty big buses! I remember them well.

I think the 6 could run single deck operation. Look at the 2 (albeit it’s more frequent but both are pretty busy routes is my point). It would be nice to see some newer singles on it, however like the E300s or E200s as the B7RLEs are too tired for a huge route like that. Perhaps we’ll see a mixture of singles and the remaining deckers with the remaining E400s on the route.

New singles and a slight route cut could really help the 6. Think it's far too long to ever be consistently on time

Bus Lightyear

To be fair to singlemalt, there was a period before the E400’s arrived when there were a few low height VO’s on the route – think they were N reg. They were shocking buses by that stage, shabby inside with leaks in the top deck – not great when you sit on a damp seat and wonder if it’s the leaky roof or the previous passenger.
And they had seatbelts for school contracts which made for an uncomfortable journey for longer distance travellers.

The L reg LOs were still making occasional appearances on the 66 in the mid to late 00s and they were very slow and knackered by then.

PaulMc7

Established Member
A lot being mentioned but just rumours for now. The fact there is going to be another service change so soon tells its own story.

Yeah that's true. Is there not normally one in October each year though? Feels like they always make changes in the same months each year

PaulMc7

Established Member
Surely we’re not talking Simplicity major changes?

Not been anything anywhere near as big since so it's not impossible. We were told months in advance about that though and it was still hard for people to grasp so I don't see it personally being as big

Volvodart

Established Member
You would like to think if it was major, they would be running a consultation beforehand.

PaulMc7

Established Member
You would like to think if it was major, they would be running a consultation beforehand.

First in Glasgow seem to avoid consultations. Mcgills and Stagecoach do loads of them tbh anytime changes come up and First do them in other places.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
First in Glasgow seem to avoid consultations. Mcgills and Stagecoach do loads of them tbh anytime changes come up and First do them in other places.

I remember with Simplicity it made front page on the newspapers. It was a really big thing. I think they put it out there before the changes happened to let it sink in.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I remember with Simplicity it made front page on the newspapers. It was a really big thing. I think they put it out there before the changes happened to let it sink in.

Yeah with something that big it had to be made public early. Didn't make it so easy for people to understand it though. I still get asked on the odd occasion by strangers which bus goes where because it's something that was changed by Simplicity

lastbus

When I say major it’s not so much route changes but more vehicles being cut from PVR is what I’ve heard.

route101

Established Member
Yeah with something that big it had to be made public early. Didn't make it so easy for people to understand it though. I still get asked on the odd occasion by strangers which bus goes where because it's something that was changed by Simplicity

Yeah , still call the 6 the 66 ha . Glasgow punters tend stick to what they know .

route101

Established Member
Yeah that's true. Is there not normally one in October each year though? Feels like they always make changes in the same months each year

To be fair there has not been any big route changes recently .

route101

Established Member
New singles and a slight route cut could really help the 6. Think it's far too long to ever be consistently on time

Surprised its not been cut , that said its useful to go straight to the West End from EK . Make it new low heights and make sure they stay on the 6 .

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah , still call the 6 the 66 ha . Glasgow punters tend stick to what they know .

Yeah definitely. Yeah I hear people on the buses at mine's still refer to them as the 62, 66 and 204/215/216 lol. I think First really need to make it easier for people to understand the routes easier. If people are able to get familiar before using the service then people will probably use it more

PaulMc7

Established Member
To be fair there has not been any big route changes recently .

Surprised its not been cut , that said its useful to go straight to the West End from EK . Make it new low heights and make sure they stay on the 6 .

Yeah it's been very minor things this year. Yeah I'm surprised people use the 6 that far tbh because even into the city centre it's over an hour from EK. Suppose it depends which part of EK you use it from

route101

Established Member
They're playing at converting unreliable hybrid buses to diesel to make them more reliable. It hasn't been stated if this is a permanent move or not and they could just be going there for conversion.

The hybrids used to be unreliable. Hopefully still keep the normal e400s as they are needed at peak times

route101

Established Member
Yeah it's been very minor things this year. Yeah I'm surprised people use the 6 that far tbh because even into the city centre it's over an hour from EK. Suppose it depends which part of EK you use it from

6 links Southside to Ek . Yeah , Westwood area is quicker to town on the 6 . Also links Busby and Clarkston to EK .

PaulMc7

Established Member
6 links Southside to Ek . Yeah , Westwood area is quicker to town on the 6 . Also links Busby and Clarkston to EK .

Yeah with the constant cuts to the 4/4A, the 6 really has become the main bus in Muirend/Clarkston etc lol Would be hard to choose where to cut the route with the 6 to make it more reliable. I've had all different ideas but they change by the minute lol

route101

Established Member
Are the Hybrids permanently staying at Potteries after the conversion?

The 6 seems to be getting a bit of a rough deal at the moment. It's a mish mash of buses and certainly doesn't suite single deckers on it.

Yeah , when the 66 received the e400 low heights , they mostly stayed on the route . The whole reason for them on the was the fact they are low height .

overthewater

Established Member
This delight has turn up, the best bit is this ""We cannot blame First, with its shareholders need for profit" No it needs profits to pay the bus driver and cover the fuel first of all.. First tried to keep it going for a year, it's been running for 4 years. Its clear there is very little demand to get to that Hospital from Drum...

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/first-bus-disconnects-number-16-16754870

Campaigners are fighting to replace a bus service from Drumchapel to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital that has been axed by First Bus Glasgow.

The number 16 service was the only direct bus that went from Drumchapel to the hospital without diverting to Partick.

The service was funded by the NHS for three years until over a year ago when First Glasgow took over its running. However, it is to be axed from August 18 after the bus firm claimed it did not get enough passengers to justify the service.

Now, the charity G15 Buses is working for a replacement to be arranged to allow residents to travel from Drumchapel to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital with ease.

A spokesperson for the charity said: "First Bus Glasgow are removing the only direct bus service to Queen Elizabeth Hospitals from Drumchapel.

"The NHS funded the number 16 for three years until more than a year ago when First Glasgow managed to keep it going.

"At G15 Buses, we have been highlighting this point since its introduction. Challenging for a replacement, or even a more direct service.

"We cannot blame First, with its shareholders need for profit. We just wish we had been given a bit more notice to prepare a replacement to suit those already travelling on the 16."

G15 Buses also points out that Drumchapel's link to the hospital was never strong and they are calling for the support of the local community to ensure they are given a more direct service.

Tbe spokeperson added: "Drumchapel never has never received a direct service, even First say the 16 was not a particularly direct link from Drumchapel.

"The Charity, working with and for the community, is now challenging for what we now feel is the only way forward. Not only to organise a replacement, but a better direct service, we deserve."