• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
What we all thinking then for the October changes?

Go ahead as planned?
Strike or no strike?
Public and driver backlash?
More unreliable services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lastbus

What we all thinking then for the October changes?

Go ahead as planned?
Strike or no strike?
Public and driver backlash?
More unreliable services?
The process for registering the changes will already be under way if there planned for October as the SPT need to be informed of any planned changes before they go to the traffic commissioner.

I think the changes will go ahead as planned.

Wouldn’t rule out a strike though.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The process for registering the changes will already be under way if there planned for October as the SPT need to be informed of any planned changes before they go to the traffic commissioner.

I think the changes will go ahead as planned.

Wouldn’t rule out a strike though.

Yeah I don't expect things to go down well with anyone but I do think they'll happen as planned

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah cant go full route of 6 due to Busby Railway Bridge .

Yeah that bridge is a nightmare tbh. Doesn't help that you need to be able to see round corners to go under it either. Nearly been a few crashes when I've been on a 6 under it

route101

Established Member
Yeah that bridge is a nightmare tbh. Doesn't help that you need to be able to see round corners to go under it either. Nearly been a few crashes when I've been on a 6 under it

Used to stay in Busby . Been a few mishaps , there was a paint lorry that got stuck , could still see the paint on the pavement . Best was a lorry carrying Lucozade . The load was all the place and locals were allowed to take it .

Wish they lowered it , would get all the deckers on the 6 .

PaulMc7

Established Member
Used to stay in Busby . Been a few mishaps , there was a paint lorry that got stuck , could still see the paint on the pavement . Best was a lorry carrying Lucozade . The load was all the place and locals were allowed to take it .

Yeah definitely. I'd go all single deckers on the 6 especially outside peaks. Problem is that it's too unreliable for that to definitely work. I see them end up mobbed because 3 turn up together

Bus Lightyear

The bridge was lowered many years ago to allow Central SMT to run low height deckers under it.

CM

Lowering the Bridge would mean no deckers could get under it. In order to get taller vehicles under the bridge you would need to raise the bridge but that wouldn't be possible due to the railway line going across it.

Bus Lightyear

Lowering the Bridge would mean no deckers could get under it. In order to get taller vehicles under the bridge you would need to raise the bridge but that wouldn't be possible due to the railway line going across it.
I think Route 101 meant lowering the road not the bridge. I should have said the same in post 4028.

andy257

Waited an hour on a 1 today. Shows how much trouble marches can cause to transport. Meant to have been 12 buses in the time I waited Was so relieved after the 1A eventually appeared
the tour of Britain race was in the city centre yesterday with pedal race on today.if you look on first Glasgow website you would see all the roads close.

PaulMc7

Established Member
the tour of Britain race was in the city centre yesterday with pedal race on today.if you look on first Glasgow website you would see all the roads close.

Yeah every other bus was seemingly fine. Was between half 5 and half 6. Got off the 7A at half 5 and the 1A was first to turn up at half 6ish

route101

Established Member
Yeah every other bus was seemingly fine. Was between half 5 and half 6. Got off the 7A at half 5 and the 1A was first to turn up at half 6ish

A lot of buses were affected , big diversion for services to East End . A few people when imformed stepped off 31 as it was terminating at the Citizens rather than Osborne St . Christ its only like 5 to ten min walk further.

route101

Established Member
Yeah definitely. I'd go all single deckers on the 6 especially outside peaks. Problem is that it's too unreliable for that to definitely work. I see them end up mobbed because 3 turn up together

Bit of hassle swapping in deckers to the 6 at peak . Better just to leave them on route . Yeah that happens at peak , bunch up and one takes the load and runs later . I often get the 6 at 1645 from Union . Often on 15min frequency at that time.
Purely a selfish reason . Deckers are more comfortable and easier to get off if busy from top deck.

PaulMc7

Established Member

I remember those deckers in the last pic very well. Other crazy thing to notice is that an all day ticket was only £2.10. Crazy that even the average single is more expensive than that now

PaulMc7

Established Member
How cheap could First make their prices and still cover costs? Would probably need every bus to be full though at the current rate of passenger usage.

Not thought of how to sort weeklys etc but singles could be £1.20/£2 within the city zone and an all day could be £3.75/£4. Would maybe bring some more customers in but I don't know if that would add profit or make losses on what they currently do

Stan Drews

Established Member
How cheap could First make their prices and still cover costs? Would probably need every bus to be full though at the current rate of passenger usage.

Not thought of how to sort weeklys etc but singles could be £1.20/£2 within the city zone and an all day could be £3.75/£4. Would maybe bring some more customers in but I don't know if that would add profit or make losses on what they currently do
If you do some relatively simple arithmetic, you can work out how many extra passengers would be required if ticket prices were reduced.
I’ve no idea what current fares are, but for a simple example take a £3 fare that you sell 1000 of, and reduce it to £2. You’d have to get another 500 (a 50% increase) to maintain the same revenue.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If you do some relatively simple arithmetic, you can work out how many extra passengers would be required if ticket prices were reduced.
I’ve no idea what current fares are, but for a simple example take a £3 fare that you sell 1000 of, and reduce it to £2. You’d have to get another 500 (a 50% increase) to maintain the same revenue.

Currently £1.70/2.50 for singles and £4.70 an all day on the bus and £4.60 on the ticket app. Yeah I don't know how much of a revenue increase there would be because a lot of people don't trust First in Glasgow at all. Would probably take massive passenger increases happening but from even lower prices than I suggested

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I've noticed that First have installed some iBus things on their new buses.

They barely work, are they currently programming them all or something?

I remember the original fleet of Geminis and stuff had some screens that displayed the next stop and the destination, but even now these barely work. Most cities have them now, Glasgow seem to be lagging.

Busman84

What routes use this kind of ibus thing?

The previous system worked on a lot of buses. From X reg Scanias up to the 58 plate Gemini’s and perhaps E500s the Streamline system worked pretty well. This seemed to vanish around 2010/11 when one by one they stopped working.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
What routes use this kind of ibus thing?

The previous system worked on a lot of buses. From X reg Scanias up to the 58 plate Gemini’s and perhaps E500s the Streamline system worked pretty well. This seemed to vanish around 2010/11 when one by one they stopped working.

The new E400MMC routes use them, and I think some E300s have it fitted.

Busman84

I knew the 18 and 75 had it but wasn’t sure about other routes.. The Previous system gave you much more streets and Landmarks scrolling the screen without the voice thing that you have now.. That only worked on buses based in City Depots..