• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Is First still covering the 19A for SPT?

Not been SPT up until now but I wouldn't see anyone other than First wanting anything to do with it. Mcgills would maybe end up with it eventually given that they have the 72 SPT tender but if anything I think First have just used a clever ploy to get subsidy for the 19A outside of the X2 operating times. The X2 cost won't be as bad as it's just one bus covering it but in terms of income it won't bring much. I've seen busy 19As up to the Asda from Royston/Provanmill etc but the quietest part of the journey was always Briarcroft terminus to Asda

Heard people from the Robroyston residents group saying it was possibly Stagecoach that was getting it that's why I was wondering

PaulMc7

Established Member
Heard people from the Robroyston residents group saying it was possibly Stagecoach that was getting it that's why I was wondering

Yeah I've not seen anything concrete tbh. Stagecoach would be a smart move seeing as the Cumbernauld depot isn't miles away to be fair

Yeah I think it will be First that's maybe getting it though, wonder what route it will take from Buchanan Bus Station through the town wether it will go along Killermont Street then down Renfield Street and into West Regent Street by the old Terminus

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah I think it will be First that's maybe getting it though, wonder what route it will take from Buchanan Bus Station through the town wether it will go along Killermont Street then down Renfield Street and into West Regent Street by the old Terminus

Got a feeling it'll just be out onto Cathedral St and then normal route because the other way even at night can still be long winded and full of traffic. Just a major problem that buses can't escape though at any time

lastbus

It’s been registered on the First Glasgow licence

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 19a timetable is on the first bus website

Just seen that there. Recovery time is interesting at each end. Barely anything but I suppose it's a case of doing absolutely anything to keep it down to just 1 bus.

Also means everything on a Sunday through Robroyston is SPT tendered

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Had a look at the new 19A Sunday timetable again too. Going by the current one there's actually going to be 2 extra buses out of the city centre on the new one which is really the only benefit. If reliability was the issue it does make me wonder why they couldn't have just made the 19A route via Baird St to begin with and only run to Robroyston Asda or with an 57A or 87 extension from Balornock East or Auchinairn Road. Surprised Baird St is not used by more buses than it currently is

CM

Had a look at the new 19A Sunday timetable again too. Going by the current one there's actually going to be 2 extra buses out of the city centre on the new one which is really the only benefit. If reliability was the issue it does make me wonder why they couldn't have just made the 19A route via Baird St to begin with and only run to Robroyston Asda or with an 57A or 87 extension from Balornock East or Auchinairn Road. Surprised Baird St is not used by more buses than it currently is

The old pre-Simplicity 19 used to go via Baird Street back in the late 90s/early00s. I suspect it was re-routed from Baird Street because all there is on Baird Street is a Police Station and industrial units whereas it would have picked up more people going via the Royal.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The old pre-Simplicity 19 used to go via Baird Street back in the late 90s/early00s. I suspect it was re-routed from Baird Street because all there is on Baird Street is a Police Station and industrial units whereas it would have picked up more people going via the Royal.

Yeah I remember the old 19 fairly well. Yeah makes more sense although I've definitely seen busier 19s at Cathedral St than 19As

route101

Established Member
Seen an ALX400 on the 10 on Monday, maybe singles for October week?

Seems to be 3 singles and one decker on 31 , october week is over , was there a cycle change ? Would be interested in the reason ?

CM

Seems to be 3 singles and one decker on 31 , october week is over , was there a cycle change ? Would be interested in the reason ?

The 31 isn't exactly a core route and I'd imagine, regardless of the time of year, it will be allocated whatever is available at the time.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 31 isn't exactly a core route and I'd imagine, regardless of the time of year, it will be allocated whatever is available at the time.

Can't imagine it's the biggest of money makers either. Probably the least profitable out of the EK buses to Glasgow

route101

Established Member

Yes , they had more geminis on the route then replaced with singles . Have a batch of geminis gone somewhere?

awsnews

More fleet movements incoming. (Mostly will be vehicles going to paintshop and return)
Surprised to see that 61609 has had at least a partial repaint, possibly full, into Barbie albeit without the willoleaf and f logos at the rear. As far as I could ascertain it was the only Barbie liveried vehicle in use today.
67721 has notably gained a white led destination display on the nearside.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seen a lot of the new timetables put up at Glasgow Fort earlier and going from there into Easterhouse will become far more difficult now although I definitely think passenger numbers drop off severely later on. After 8pm it'll just be the 19 every 30mins and nothing else because the 60/60A stop going into the fort. Certainly makes the 38 route cut tougher on people that it initially did. The swap of route between the 19 and 46 has also been a big complaint from people too

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Surprised to see that 61609 has had at least a partial repaint, possibly full, into Barbie albeit without the willoleaf and f logos at the rear. As far as I could ascertain it was the only Barbie liveried vehicle in use today.
67721 has notably gained a white led destination display on the nearside.

I have noticed 67721 and had to do a double take. The white LED destinations do look far nicer than the orange imo. It would be nice to see some of the newer/refurbished stock replaced with the new LED screens like was done down in Essex with some of the ex-Glasgow vehicles. They did it back in the day with the B10BLEs and B7Ls albeit they were replacing the flip dot which was far worse to see.

route101

Established Member
I have noticed 67721 and had to do a double take. The white LED destinations do look far nicer than the orange imo. It would be nice to see some of the newer/refurbished stock replaced with the new LED screens like was done down in Essex with some of the ex-Glasgow vehicles. They did it back in the day with the B10BLEs and B7Ls albeit they were replacing the flip dot which was far worse to see.

67721 , what type of bus is that ?

Noticed a Blantyre 53 plate gemini in new colours and seats re trimmed.

CM

Yes , they had more geminis on the route then replaced with singles . Have a batch of geminis gone somewhere?

Whether or not a batch of Geminis has gone anywhere is irrelevant. The 31 is a very marginal route and it will be allocated whatever is left lying around the depot. Some days it might be Geminis, other days it might be singles.

route101

Established Member
Whether or not a batch of Geminis has gone anywhere is irrelevant. The 31 is a very marginal route and it will be allocated whatever is left lying around the depot. Some days it might be Geminis, other days it might be singles.

Indeed , but up until a few weeks ago , it was 4 deckers Mon to Sat , then a change has occurred , so somethings up . Of course im grateful for a bus to run regardless of single or decker .

CM

Indeed , but up until a few weeks ago , it was 4 deckers Mon to Sat , then a change has occurred , so somethings up . Of course im grateful for a bus to run regardless of single or decker .

Nothing is "up", they've simply changed the allocation which they are perfectly entitled to do. It's a total non-issue, as long as the service runs it doesn't matter what they put on it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think it absolutely does matter what bus runs on a service tbh and it's ultimately why First have lost customers in Glasgow. The difference between First's best and worst buses here is absolutely huge and it's been off putting for a lot of people. Granted it can't be helped with them having so many operations but having such a variation between top quality and some really shoddy buses will always be problematic. There's obviously other reasons why they've lost customers but it's certainly more important than people think

CM

I think it absolutely does matter what bus runs on a service tbh and it's ultimately why First have lost customers in Glasgow. The difference between First's best and worst buses here is absolutely huge and it's been off putting for a lot of people. Granted it can't be helped with them having so many operations but having such a variation between top quality and some really shoddy buses will always be problematic. There's obviously other reasons why they've lost customers but it's certainly more important than people think

On busy, core routes like the 2 and 38 then it matters, you wouldn't exactly want a Solo to appear on a peak time journey but for a service like the 31 which is a very marginal service then single deckers are more than adequate. I've used this service a few times and it seemed to pick up very few passengers and definitely not enough to fill a decker so why it'd need a decker is beyond me.