• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ah, that explains everything. I also didn't realise that only a small number of buses were removed from the peak vehicle requirement. I was expecting well into double figures however the reinstatement of the X1 also put paid to that.

If i recall correctly the original target was 14 (happy to be corrected...). However they dropped it partially due to the reinstatement of the X1.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lastbus

If i recall correctly the original target was 14 (happy to be corrected...). However they dropped it partially due to the reinstatement of the X1.
Most of the changes were scrapped due to pressure from the union. Think the only reduction to PVR in the end was the 38s with the X1 saved on a use it or lose it basis.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Most of the changes were scrapped due to pressure from the union. Think the only reduction to PVR in the end was the 38s with the X1 saved on a use it or lose it basis.

Not sure what the union has to do with it as no jobs were at risk.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not sure what the union has to do with it as no jobs were at risk.

Unions have a duty to represent their members (which most actually do quite sensibly) so if there's undue pressure on drivers in terms of running speeds and lack of layover, then the union should step in. As we've seen with other firms, it is always to do with pay rates and job losses.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Unions have a duty to represent their members (which most actually do quite sensibly) so if there's undue pressure on drivers in terms of running speeds and lack of layover, then the union should step in. As we've seen with other firms, it is always to do with pay rates and job losses.
They weren’t happy at the proposal to reduce layover times.

That's a fair point tbh. I was more thinking down the route of why would they be bothered over a frequency/route cut provided no jobs were being lost, but if running/layover times were being cut then it makes sense.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
SK68 LXD (33215) on the 2 today spotted in Baillieston. Rare to see a decker on the 2 these days let alone a branded 75 one. They suit being on this route it was pretty busy.

Strathclyder

Established Member
SK68 LXD (33215) on the 2 today spotted in Baillieston. Rare to see a decker on the 2 these days let alone a branded 75 one. They suit being on this route it was pretty busy.
Deckers have been a regular sight on the 2 since the Baillieston-Airdrie/Maxim Park (or Eurocentral if you prefer) section was withdrawn. Two boards are regularly allocated deckers on weekdays now (availability depending of course). Two Geminis are utilized normally, but other types (such as 33215) have appeared on occasion.

smtglasgow

This is true. I live on the opposite side of the railway from Baillieston terminus. Can’t see the buses, but I can certainly hear the Geminis. I suspect the bean-counters will eventually work out that double-deckers on a 10 min frequency works out cheaper – but no doubt they’ll spin it Scotrail-style as several hundred extra seats every day....

route101

Established Member
Deckers have been a regular sight on the 2 since the Baillieston-Airdrie/Maxim Park (or Eurocentral if you prefer) section was withdrawn. Two boards are regularly allocated deckers on weekdays now (availability depending of course). Two Geminis are utilized normally, but other types (such as 33215) have appeared on occasion.

Think its the caley side of the 2 that provides deckers .

route101

Established Member
This is true. I live on the opposite side of the railway from Baillieston terminus. Can’t see the buses, but I can certainly hear the Geminis. I suspect the bean-counters will eventually work out that double-deckers on a 10 min frequency works out cheaper – but no doubt they’ll spin it Scotrail-style as several hundred extra seats every day....

The Geminis either sound like a hoover or a bag of nails (b9tls)

PaulMc7

Established Member
I see . Anyone know the score with the pink fronted e200mmcs ?

Been wondering this too tbh. Seen them on the 2 a lot still so if anything it's probably worth branding those for that and covering the rest of the 2 with buses in the next new batch when that occurs

PaulMc7

Established Member
I find it quite amusing that with the battle between First and Mcgills on Paisley Road West despite the buses on the 9 not being anywhere near the best the 9/9A is always far busier than the 38s anytime I've seen it and it's been that way since I was first at college in August 2012. Would be interesting to see how much more damage the 9s could do with new buses against the 38

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I see . Anyone know the score with the pink fronted e200mmcs ?

I believe there was talk of them being for the 9/9A which would explain the similar pink fronts, however I don’t think anyone is 100% certain. They may have been painted in error but it seems weird that they were painted pink. I guess time will tell if the 9/9A gets new buses with the next order. I think it would make sense as has been discussed at length - the B7RLEs are shockingly tired now and it would up the competition against McGills.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I think the 2 runs well with singles based on its frequency. Going back to even the First 62 days it’s always been operated with singles with the help of the odd decker (Royales at one stage). They even had bendys in the good old days. There was a period where B7TLs were regularly used on the 62 but that was short lived with the introduction of the E300s. The 2 has always been a successful route for First and they seem to heavily invest in it very 4/5 years with new buses. It would be good to see the E300s replaced now as they could be used well elsewhere. E400MMCs would be good for the odd service as has been demonstrated recently.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
9/9a 100% - can't confirm any other routes just now
the 2 pink front e200s were an error.

I think it's been said before but the 9/9A were pretty much 'unofficially' confirmed as getting new buses a few months back. Rumours were that "The One" would get new vehicles too. Whether or not that's true we'll have to wait and see, but it's always interesting to see where investment is and isn't focused.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think it's been said before but the 9/9A were pretty much 'unofficially' confirmed as getting new buses a few months back. Rumours were that "The One" would get new vehicles too. Whether or not that's true we'll have to wait and see, but it's always interesting to see where investment is and isn't focused.

"The One" could definitely be good for them. I am a little biased as they're my main bus but they're far busier than almost every other service I've used more than a handful of times. Arguably the greatest success First have had here too in a long time. The sheer number of vehicles that would be freed up onto other services is a good way to get rid of older stock too. Investment especially with the new buses has had some surprises especially the 34/34A and 65 and the 241/242 and 254 but I can see why they've chosen those services. It's definitely a hard thing to get 100% right but they've done a good job in my opinion anyway

Jordan Adam

Established Member
"The One" could definitely be good for them. I am a little biased as they're my main bus but they're far busier than almost every other service I've used more than a handful of times. Arguably the greatest success First have had here too in a long time. The sheer number of vehicles that would be freed up onto other services is a good way to get rid of older stock too. Investment especially with the new buses has had some surprises especially the 34/34A and 65 and the 241/242 and 254 but I can see why they've chosen those services. It's definitely a hard thing to get 100% right but they've done a good job in my opinion anyway

Tbh i can fully see why the 241/242/254 got new vehicles. The 34/34A was an odd choice though. Actually i'm surprised the 266 didn't get new vehicles too.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Tbh i can fully see why the 241/242/254 got new vehicles. The 34/34A was an odd choice though. Actually i'm surprised the 266 didn't get new vehicles too.

I think it was more designed by the fact it was a hospital service and the 34A is busier than the 8 and 16. The frequency cut not long after getting new buses show though that it wasn't the best decision ever. Yeah the 266 is a really busy service whenever I've used it. I think it will eventually when the LEZ is fully dealt with

SarahDFIG

I don't want to post too much on here but have heard an few say the 1 could be getting the E300s refurbished in and out and converted to E6 .... again it's rumour's but the only route I know of getting anything new so far is the 9/9a which will be to compete with McGills.

There's 4 pink E200MMCs and they're the same colour as the 65, I think these where for the 65 originally and they've went with the smaller version for the 65 instead and it's left them to mill about on any route that needs them

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I don't want to post too much on here but have heard an few say the 1 could be getting the E300s refurbished in and out and converted to E6 .... again it's rumour's but the only route I know of getting anything new so far is the 9/9a which will be to compete with McGills.

I hope it is just a rumour because I think that would be a silly idea. The E300s have been battered on the 1 since their introduction back in 2012. They could be used to withdraw many of the older singles (ie the B7RLEs).

As for the 9/9A I can see that having a massive impact on the 9/9A with new branded buses with USB charging ports and stop/start announcements. Would make them far more desirable than the tried B7RLEs.

Volvodart

Established Member
Not all routes in the low emissions zone are getting new buses, some will have to have converted buses.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I hope it is just a rumour because I think that would be a silly idea. The E300s have been battered on the 1 since their introduction back in 2012. They could be used to withdraw many of the older singles (ie the B7RLEs).

As for the 9/9A I can see that having a massive impact on the 9/9A with new branded buses with USB charging ports and stop/start announcements. Would make them far more desirable than the tried B7RLEs.

Never used a service more battered than the 1s tbh. Even the deckers for the 1C/1D aren't quite as strong as they used to be. Used to dart along the expressway on the outside lane and now it's a case of staying inside lane doing 30mph at most. Even when I've got them and they've been 15/20mins late the same thing has still happened and the drivers have had zero chance of making up lost time

PaulMc7

Established Member
Not all routes in the low emissions zone are getting new buses, some will have to have converted buses.

I can imagine the likes of the 4/5/6/7/7A and the 57s etc getting converts instead of new buses as they're fairly frequent services. First are playing it smart now tbh

smtglasgow

Just an observation on Glasgow’s disappearing passengers. I’ve used the 255 that gets into the bus station at 8.50 a few times recently. Best load at Broomhouse has been 8 people, on Friday it was 3. It picks up more through Tollcross, but these kind of loads are dire – something’s gone horribly wrong with this route in the last year. Not saying the 255 is going to be pulled (it does OK through the day), but First must be worried. Doesn’t help that the bus regularly runs late, but where have all the students gone – the train is much quicker but doesn’t get them near Cally, Strathclyde Uni or City College?