• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
As far as I’m aware buses have started to get retrofitted starting with Scotstouns.

I think that’s why we are seeing a lot more deckers on the 2 and 3 while the E300s are branded and retrofitted.

Just a quick question about retrofitting vehicles... What do they actually do and is there any noticeable differences once it’s been done (ie are they quieter like the E400MMCs etc). Some of the B9TLs are pretty loud and I presume they are to be retrofitted so will it improve the noise quality of them. Thanks in advance

route101

Established Member
I think that’s why we are seeing a lot more deckers on the 2 and 3 while the E300s are branded and retrofitted.

Just a quick question about retrofitting vehicles... What do they actually do and is there any noticeable differences once it’s been done (ie are they quieter like the E400MMCs etc). Some of the B9TLs are pretty loud and I presume they are to be retrofitted so will it improve the noise quality of them. Thanks in advance

B9TLs have always sounded horrible , sound like a bag of nails.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Ex Glasgow 37169 hit a bridge in Swansea today. Not fully roofed but the front half of of it is done

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Ex Glasgow 37169 hit a bridge in Swansea today. Not fully roofed but the front half of of it is done

Oh my just saw the pictures! Wales aren’t looking after our native deckers very well!! I always liked the 07 plate B7TLs. They were nicer than the 54 plates as they always seems tidier internally.

Busman84

Retrofitting the B9TLs they may well sound a bit different. This was the case with 33359,86 which were retrofitted to Euro 4 with Adblue tank in them. They sounded slightly different to the other 53 plate Tridents and were faster. Do hope the B9TLs gearbox are altered to run normal not only for them to be faster but also to keep exhaust temp higher so DPFs burn the soot off..

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Retrofitting the B9TLs they may well sound a bit different. This was the case with 33359,86 which were retrofitted to Euro 4 with Adblue tank in them. They sounded slightly different to the other 53 plate Tridents and were faster. Do hope the B9TLs gearbox are altered to run normal not only for them to be faster but also to keep exhaust temp higher so DPFs burn the soot off..

Given that those are Trident's i wouldn't be shocked if they were fitted with different engines - hence sounding different.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

Do we know if all B9TLs are being retrofitted (ie 07-09 plates)?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There were Tridents in London refitted with a Caterpillar engine but I’m sure they sounded different again from the buses I mentioned..

Some have been retrofitted to Cummins ISB (Euro 4/5/6) units. From new they originally had the Cummins 6CT (Euro 2) or Cummins ISC (Euro 3). All 3 of those engines sound vastly different, even a Euro 5 ISB sounds vastly different to a Euro 6 example.

Albaman

Noticed 33908 now has an overall advert for the National Lottery. Also, it now carries a euro 6 sticker. 33907 also has an overall advert ( for a film, I think ) , I wonder if it has also been converted to euro 6.

LT02 NVV

2 Solos on the 60 Doing Part Routes to MarryHill and the City Center

Attachments

• IMG_3977.JPG
    IMG_3977.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3981.PNG
    IMG_3981.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 44

SarahDFIG

Only Euro 5s are getting converted.
Some Euro 4's will also be getting converted which will include the vehicles that have recently been refurbished. a number of B7TLs will leave the fleet next year though once new stock arrives along with a number of B7RLEs

To answer questions before, Yes both an number of E300/E400s have had the work complete and now Euro 6 compliant with more to follow.

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
I was talking about what the Glasgow Councillor responsible for the Low Emission Zone said.

Last edited:

SarahDFIG

I was talking about what the Glasgow Councillor responsible for the Low Emission Zone said.
When the LEZ was announced in Glasgow, First Glasgow confirmed they would be investing to meet the targets with new vehicles along with converting Euro 5 vehicles to Euro 6 but since then Euro 4 vehicles have been added to the list. Due to the size of the Glasgow fleet the company decided to refurbish older stock and will eventually convert them to Euro 6. Currently the program only consists of E300/E400s being converted with B9TLs going next.

In the coming months the program will start again with more vehicles getting refurbishments. More details to be posted closer to the time on what will be sent away

LT02 NVV

Noticed 33908 now has an overall advert for the National Lottery. Also, it now carries a euro 6 sticker. 33907 also has an overall advert ( for a film, I think ) , I wonder if it has also been converted to euro 6.
faves-96450057@N04
33907 has an Advert for The Crown, A Netflix Show.
Credit to
Michael Moore

Attachments

• 49127149371_cdfca58894_o.jpg
    49127149371_cdfca58894_o.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
When the LEZ was announced in Glasgow, First Glasgow confirmed they would be investing to meet the targets with new vehicles along with converting Euro 5 vehicles to Euro 6 but since then Euro 4 vehicles have been added to the list. Due to the size of the Glasgow fleet the company decided to refurbish older stock and will eventually convert them to Euro 6. Currently the program only consists of E300/E400s being converted with B9TLs going next.

In the coming months the program will start again with more vehicles getting refurbishments. More details to be posted closer to the time on what will be sent away

I really hope the low height E400s are on that list as they are quite tired internally. There are still B9TLs on ‘the One’ that need treated. I hate that some B9TLs have been refurbished with the part green seats to match the green grab poles. I wish they’d been all done to the same standard.

route101

Established Member
Will be interesting to see how long the B7TLs take to get withdrawn?

The 53 plate alx 400s must be next .

The B7TLs and B7RLES are really manky , should of been re seated earlier.