• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
You get people on the Westwood side of EK that use the 6 to town. The 6 is the only route fron EK that goes through the Southside too , 31 does is suppose.

Yeah the 21 from Westwood to town would be significantly longer as the section up to Calderwood is a bit long winded. Quite like the 31 tbh except the part through Kirktonholme and Stewartfield. Feels pretty long winded but from Philipshill to the city centre it's really good compared to the 6

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aye the odd 75 branded decker ends up on the 57/As now and again also the 38 branded ones some 34/A branded ones on that service sometimes aswell, more common sight these days, end of the day would rather any bus than no bus

route101

Established Member
Aye the odd 75 branded decker ends up on the 57/As now and again also the 38 branded ones some 34/A branded ones on that service sometimes aswell, more common sight these days, end of the day would rather any bus than no bus

Is it because of spares ?

route101

Established Member
Yeah the 21 from Westwood to town would be significantly longer as the section up to Calderwood is a bit long winded. Quite like the 31 tbh except the part through Kirktonholme and Stewartfield. Feels pretty long winded but from Philipshill to the city centre it's really good compared to the 6

Would hate getting the 21 all the way from Lidsayfield to Town.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I saw an interesting photo from the Overground days of an S plate L94 on the 62. I wasn’t aware that the 62 had a mixture of branded B10BLEs and L94s at the same time. I thought the B10BLEs and B7TLs replaced the L113s and L94s?

CM

I saw an interesting photo from the Overground days of an S plate L94 on the 62. I wasn’t aware that the 62 had a mixture of branded B10BLEs and L94s at the same time. I thought the B10BLEs and B7TLs replaced the L113s and L94s?

Back then the 62 was shared between Parkhead and Knightswood, Parkhead used B10BLEs whilst the Scanias were based at Knightswood(and subsequently Scotstoun).

route101

Established Member
Back then the 62 was shared between Parkhead and Knightswood, Parkhead used B10BLEs whilst the Scanias were based at Knightswood(and subsequently Scotstoun).

Dont recall the scanias at Scotstoun ,did they get moved to larkfield?

CM

I think Scotstoun only had them for a short while as they would have moved depots when the large batches of B7TLs and B7RLEs arrived between 2004-2006.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I can recall them appearing on the 9 every so often and also on the X8. They definitely were at Scotstoun at one point then got cascaded to Larkfield.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Remember some on the 88 route too.

Yeah those were the L113s and they were in a sort of dark green branding. I always preferred the L113s they were good buses. I remember when they were on the 62 and 61 etc. Then they went to Larkfield and Cumbernauld and a huge chunk eventually went to Chester I believe.

route101

Established Member
I think Scotstoun only had them for a short while as they would have moved depots when the large batches of B7TLs and B7RLEs arrived between 2004-2006.

I see , only started using the buses in late 2006.

route101

Established Member
Yeah those were the L113s and they were in a sort of dark green branding. I always preferred the L113s they were good buses. I remember when they were on the 62 and 61 etc. Then they went to Larkfield and Cumbernauld and a huge chunk eventually went to Chester I believe.

Not sure of the varients , i know there was r reg ones that didnt have the bay of 4 seating at the back like the others , some had big steering wheels .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
For the moment no. Only 10 were ever planned to move.

I had heard that the 600 was to go single deck operation with the remainder of E400MMCs coming through to Glasgow to help with LEZ. I think that makes more sense given the capacity that the 600 sees.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I had heard that the 600 was to go single deck operation with the remainder of E400MMCs coming through to Glasgow to help with LEZ. I think that makes more sense given the capacity that the 600 sees.

Would be good for the 60/60A tbh. Been nothing great on them as of late. Seen the odd decent bus here or there but it's all been 53/54 plate deckers that sound horrific when I've used it lately

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Would be good for the 60/60A tbh. Been nothing great on them as of late. Seen the odd decent bus here or there but it's all been 53/54 plate deckers that sound horrific when I've used it lately

When the 60 was the old 40 it used to get new stock. Since it became the 60 in 2013 it tended to get older tridents (albeit some refurbished 53 plates), B7TLs. Now it tends to get just about anything flung on it really. Going back years ago I think there was always a stigma of vandalism attached to the 40 however you can never really pinpoint it to just one route now - look at the 38 just a few weeks ago...

I think more E400MMCs being acquired would be ideal for the 60/60A to refresh the route. I’ve saw a lot of E300s on the 60A too so that could work.

PaulMc7

Established Member
When the 60 was the old 40 it used to get new stock. Since it became the 60 in 2013 it tended to get older tridents (albeit some refurbished 53 plates), B7TLs. Now it tends to get just about anything flung on it really. Going back years ago I think there was always a stigma of vandalism attached to the 40 however you can never really pinpoint it to just one route now - look at the 38 just a few weeks ago...

I think more E400MMCs being acquired would be ideal for the 60/60A to refresh the route. I’ve saw a lot of E300s on the 60A too so that could work.

Yeah a mix of E400MMCs and E300s could work well. I don't think it's busy enough for all decker operation

route101

Established Member

Got to down that the ex Parkhead buses have pretty much merged into Caleys

route101

Established Member

Would there be enough e400mmc for 60? Do see the 41 branded E400s on the 60 from time to time.

CM

The thing with the 40(and now 60/60A) is that apart from a few short sections like Canniesburn Road it shares most of its route with other high-frequency services like the 2, 41 and 61. The 40 was mostly operated by the then-new B10BLEs and B7Ls and subsequently the Bendy Buses on a 9-minute frequency but when the ex-London Tridents started to appear the frequency was cut back as the capacity increased. As it stands now, the 60/60A needs deckers as it can get quite busy even outside peak times. If they were to go back to mostly single deck operation on the route then the frequency would need to be increased to compensate.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Would there be enough e400mmc for 60? Do see the 41 branded E400s on the 60 from time to time.

Definitely wouldn't be enough but would provide something better than having mostly rubbish on it. Yeah I've seen a couple on it of late

CM

Definitely wouldn't be enough but would provide something better than having mostly rubbish on it. Yeah I've seen a couple on it of late

I'd hardly call B7TLs and B9TLs "rubbish". They might not be the newest vehicles but they still provide a service.