• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

67843 has no coloured front or vynls ATM, presumably will as some of Blantyre's went with no colours for a while early in the 201 branding

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

experts

not correct, the B10BLEs were already on the hit list anyway and all have direct replacements planned (2 being used at Caledonia and 3 at Scotstoun temporary)
5 B7RLEs have already went to Dumbarton now.

Some minis may be replaced by this one off purchase of Streetlites. No more coming as it stands. No B7RLEs being withdrawn either.

And last but not least, 33120 is NOT planned to come off for the foreseeable future.

wonder who confirmed that on here previously regarding more wright vehicles arriving :rolleyes: .... plenty more "Wright" vehicles coming along with other things :wub:

B10BLE's/"few"B7RLE's/Caetano Darts/Solo's/ALX400 and 33120 - clock is ticking :wub::cake:

back to my cave I go

CM

not correct, the B10BLEs were already on the hit list anyway and all have direct replacements planned (2 being used at Caledonia and 3 at Scotstoun temporary)

Some minis may be replaced by this one off purchase of Streetlites. No more coming as it stands. No B7RLEs being withdrawn either.

And last but not least, 33120 is NOT planned to come off for the foreseeable future.

So why don't you enlighten us as to what these "direct replacements" are?

awsnews

If Dumbarton now have 5 B7RLEs someone should give them a nudge to actually use them in service. 69019, 66954 an 69122 have been in use at various times this week, not sure if any of them were used today though.

route101

Established Member
Can see the ALX 400s going soon if theres only ten of them , will miss them on the 31 .Hopefully put on geminis . Still B9TLs in blue branding without 61 numbering .Seen a SF08 B9TL , thought they had all been refub or sent away?
Any B9TLs still to be refurb?

CM

Can see the ALX 400s going soon if theres only ten of them , will miss them on the 31 .Hopefully put on geminis . Still B9TLs in blue branding without 61 numbering .Seen a SF08 B9TL , thought they had all been refub or sent away?
Any B9TLs still to be refurb?

As is usual with First, they'll start something like refurbishing buses for a while then they'll just be sent for a re-paint. They have and always will do half a job.

lastbus

How many streetlites are coming?

experts

This information has been posted on other pages and is most likely already on first fleet lists, and isn’t exactly exciting or world changing news. some of the below are still being used for fleet paint / retrofit campaigns at other depots:

Destined for / or already at Dumbarton
66735/948/949/954
66988/66989/69019/69122

So why don't you enlighten us as to what these "direct replacements" are?

Last edited:

experts

66735 and 66948 are now Dumbarton vehicles too, should appear there in the next week or two, operating on loan at Scotstoun while they cover Dumbarton work i.e. the Dalmuir to OK shuttle using Darts.

If Dumbarton now have 5 B7RLEs someone should give them a nudge to actually use them in service. 69019, 66954 an 69122 have been in use at various times this week, not sure if any of them were used today though.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just noticed the native 54 plate B7TLs are about 15 years old now. Surely we’ll see within the next year or so them completely disappear as 16 is about the age First tend to keep their vehicles before starting to retire them (I understand there are still 02-53 plates around so they’ll go first). There’s quite a number of them around so I think that will be an enormous job trying to replace the Gemini’s.

On a separate note does anyone know why 33388 was renumbered to 33407?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just noticed the native 54 plate B7TLs are about 15 years old now. Surely we’ll see within the next year or so them completely disappear as 16 is about the age First tend to keep their vehicles before starting to retire them (I understand there are still 02-53 plates around so they’ll go first). There’s quite a number of them around so I think that will be an enormous job trying to replace the Gemini’s.

First depreciate their vehicles over a 17 year life and have a number that are older across the empire. If they leave in 2020, I'd imagine the 54 plates would be redeployed.

As for 33388, First's numbering system supports the records that detail a vehicle's full life history, so numbers cannot be reused. There was a 33388 (hired Trident, I think) in Bristol so that has taken that number for evermore! The new Scanias that First Bristol are receiving have various gaps because of old Routemasters!!!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
As for 33388, First's numbering system supports the records that detail a vehicle's full life history, so numbers cannot be reused. There was a 33388 (hired Trident, I think) in Bristol so that has taken that number for evermore! The new Scanias that First Bristol are receiving have various gaps because of old Routemasters!!!

Seems somewhat a backwards policy, i can understand the policy of not reusing a number until a certain amount of time has passed, however not reusing a fleet number at all just seems daft.

I think at Stagecoach policy is that a number is not reused until 4 years after the previous vehicle is disposed of. Somewhat off topic but a point of interest is that in Inverness Stagecoach have 26127, the same number was used for Ex-Rapsons Wright Commander YJ04HLC a decade ago - the thing of note being that both vehicles were new to the same depot and even allocated to the same route (Service 11).
https://victoryguy.smugmug.com/Stagecoach-Bluebird-Buses/i-gQqKDgX/A
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thejamster/31074587058/

route101

Established Member

I wonder if there wasnt LEZ , they would go on another 5 years. In the past bus buses went to 20 years and sometimes even longer. They should of spruced them up , too late now

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Seems somewhat a backwards policy, i can understand the policy of not reusing a number until a certain amount of time has passed, however not reusing a fleet number at all just seems daft.
its a bit optimistic but they could eventually end up out of numbers if they couldnt reuse them at all hence why i think its only for a period of time

CM

I wonder if there wasnt LEZ , they would go on another 5 years. In the past bus buses went to 20 years and sometimes even longer. They should of spruced them up , too late now

IIRC at its time of withdrawal, First Glasgow's oldest Ailsa(A11/CSU219X) was just under 25 years old being withdrawn in 2005 and being new in 1981. I travelled on it a few times shortly before it was withdrawn and although it was a bit tatty, it still seemed to be in far better condition than some of the far newer Scanias and B7Ls that were being used at the time.

Whiteway215

Established Member

Just to enlarge on Grand Wazoo's report. I believe Glasgow 33387/88/90/91 were renumbered 33406-9 as in 2018 Bristol had on loan/hire Tridents 33387-91 (KV02URN KN52NCD,NDX,NEF). 33388/89/90 returned for a second stint late 2019.

route101

Established Member
IIRC at its time of withdrawal, First Glasgow's oldest Ailsa(A11/CSU219X) was just under 25 years old being withdrawn in 2005 and being new in 1981. I travelled on it a few times shortly before it was withdrawn and although it was a bit tatty, it still seemed to be in far better condition than some of the far newer Scanias and B7Ls that were being used at the time.

Wasn't there a Atlantean from like 1971 that made it to 1996 or something . I started using first glasgow in 2006 so just missed the ailsas.

Bus Lightyear

Wasn't there a Atlantean from like 1971 that made it to 1996 or something . I started using first glasgow in 2006 so just missed the ailsas.
You're thinking of LA664 which ran from 1973 to 1997. It was repainted into it's original livery for the Centenary of Glasgow Corporation Transport in 1994 and was normally seen on the SECC service, coincidentally numbered 100, which was operated by GCT, the low cost unit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnm...EN-o5j8mQ-267dRZN-RcgE2L-fXig7v-k489Wi-mAT7Pj

Bus Lightyear

A11 was an excellent machine which I would've taken every day of the week over the likes of a Scania L94/Wright Floline.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I doubt it will come back if I’m honest. I was surprised when I saw it at the depot as to how bad it really was. They’d need to completely rebuild the top deck for a start and that’s not including any of the electrics etc. Could be wrong but I think it would be too costly to repair.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
its annoying that they do that and treat it like MI6 info but oh well what can we do

Why get bothered? I know there's the argument that "if you can't say everything, say nothing" and that people are suspicious that they are flaunting their inside knowledge "I know something you don't know"

Just don't get annoyed.

SarahDFIG

I doubt it will come back if I’m honest. I was surprised when I saw it at the depot as to how bad it really was. They’d need to completely rebuild the top deck for a start and that’s not including any of the electrics etc. Could be wrong but I think it would be too costly to repair.
Both decks need work. So far nothing has been decided on it yet. Personally I think it will return. Maybe as an open topper :wub:

awsnews

Extreme heat will have affected the material strength of the aluminium frame beyond the area destroyed by the fire so even though it may look okay lower down it is more than likely to be structurally unsound.

lastbus

its annoying that they do that and treat it like MI6 info but oh well what can we do
You need to remember that sometimes people have information that they cannot share on a public forum. Also this bus is part of an ongoing criminal inquiry.