• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
People keep banging on about how the likes of First and Stagecoach can survive because they're "big" companies, however the reality is that without funding they wouldn't be able to provide any bus service in a few weeks time as there simply wouldn't be the money to pay drivers and fuel up vehicles! Obviously it's far from ideal to be having a hourly service but what more can you expect when bus use is so low and why should operators provide a unrealistic higher frequency just to please those who have poor time management, if you miss the bus that's your own fault!

Even with the revised timetables coming in tomorrow Glasgow will still have a far better level of service when compared to most other cities!

You're absolutely right about the first and final parts of that. Glasgow is still getting a better service provision than many other places

Having an hourly service is obviously not ideal. Not convinced it's poor time management though - that seems a little harsh ;). Large organisations like the NHS will have a range of finishing times that ordinarily are catered for (and at this time, may even be more fluid than normal if you're having to cover for staff that are self isolating). If you finish at 17:30 and the hourly bus is at 17:45, you'll be fine with that. If you finish at 18:00 and the hourly bus is at 18:45, that's when people tweet. It's unfortunate but these are the days we are living in. You could run half hourly so there's an 18:15 departure but all you're doing is probably doubling your costs and getting the same revenue (and they are losing money anyway).

I think First Glasgow and the the bus industry in general is doing a bloody decent job given the challenges. I had to do the weekly shop at Tesco's earlier and saw 6 buses (2 Streetlites, 2 Eclipses, 2 Solos) on a mix of tendered and commercial work. Total passengers - 2 o_O

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
The smaller companies are getting it worse, No Private hire, no events transport needed, hecek no school work. These companies are basically mothballed until September, but how many will come, the ones that will have to fill the vacuum.

Of course the hope is if working from home is possible after this, it will affect mainly the upper pay levels which tend to use cars etc, leaving the bus network alone for current cliintel. I do think the current network levels will return once this is all over but anything that is out in a limb or linked to money generated from all thos extra bits will be gone by Autumn or christmas, it's why people are now wondering about Lothian country etc or even First Bright bus tours. No festival or big events etc. if its August in which we get back to normal how many tourist will REALLY be in the city? I doubt that many so that Glasgow, london cambridge tours all pretty much dead for the rest of the year.

some of the companies have tried max the service by having joint hourly route combine on headways, I think thats where glasgow i'll be heading.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Noticed that the 60/60A has been made up of primarily 38 branded E400MMCs. They suit this route a lot this route would be a good candidate to receive new stock.

Also noticed a pretty good service in the east end all considering.

Scott mac

Noticed that the 60/60A has been made up of primarily 38 branded E400MMCs. They suit this route a lot this route would be a good candidate to receive new stock.

Would personally have all routes single decks for now think having any double decks out is a waste of time

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Would personally have all routes single decks for now think having any double decks out is a waste of time

From what I have seen (can’t speak for all service) but pretty much every bus I’ve seen is ‘newer’. Even the 46 has been treated to E200MMCs and the 60/60A is pretty much all E400MMCs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
From what I have seen (can’t speak for all service) but pretty much every bus I’ve seen is ‘newer’. Even the 46 has been treated to E200MMCs and the 60/60A is pretty much all E400MMCs.

They'll be looking to use the most fuel efficient vehicles they can. However, they are also trying to maximise social distancing on the vehicles, hence using deckers when a single would suffice.

PaulMc7

Established Member
They'll be looking to use the most fuel efficient vehicles they can. However, they are also trying to maximise social distancing on the vehicles, hence using deckers when a single would suffice.

That's how I see it tbh. Would be using as many deckers as possible to help people out with social distancing. Won't be ideal for all routes but there's a lot that'll be fine with them

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That's how I see it tbh. Would be using as many deckers as possible to help people out with social distancing. Won't be ideal for all routes but there's a lot that'll be fine with them

To be honest with the way passenger numbers are singles will be fine on the majority of routes. Singles are easier to manage in terms of cleaning and social distancing too.

PaulMc7

Established Member
To be honest with the way passenger numbers are singles will be fine on the majority of routes. Singles are easier to manage in terms of cleaning and social distancing too.

Possibly but the only way to keep anyone on buses is by making them as safe as possible and there's already been a few concerns with social distancing I've read from people. Think it's already turned a few people off of buses too

lastbus

More fleet movements today to ensure the newest and most fuel efficient buses are being used.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
More fleet movements today to ensure the newest and most fuel efficient buses are being used.

It would be good if this was the way it always was. It will be nice to see what things are like when LEZ is in full swing.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Possibly but the only way to keep anyone on buses is by making them as safe as possible and there's already been a few concerns with social distancing I've read from people. Think it's already turned a few people off of buses too

On some routes, you can get away with singles and they are, such is the drop in loadings. On others, they are using doubles and it probably makes sense. If you've got 2 or 3 passengers per vehicle, then there's nothing wrong with using a single deck.

Stop reading FB and Twitter though - you will only ever get the negative views. TBH, with a contagion like this, it will put people off public transport anyway.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
In a word, it will be MMCs...

I’m a fan of the MMCs so they will be welcomed. I wonder if there are any plans between now and the LEZ coming into place for them to change the designs of any of the MMCs. Just out of interest

PaulMc7

Established Member
On some routes, you can get away with singles and they are, such is the drop in loadings. On others, they are using doubles and it probably makes sense. If you've got 2 or 3 passengers per vehicle, then there's nothing wrong with using a single deck.

Stop reading FB and Twitter though - you will only ever get the negative views. TBH, with a contagion like this, it will put people off public transport anyway.

Clearly read different stuff on social media from me then as it's been far from all negative and even the stuff that has it's been out of concern more than anything.

Not new to them either. Facebook since 2010 and Twitter since 2011. Never been all negative

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Seen someone on Twitter say NHS staff shouldn't use First buses here as you can't socially distance properly even with 15 people on the bus. I mean if you can find a bus with 15 people on it then that's just incredibly unlucky in itself as most are 1 or 2 passengers at most from what I've seen

They're clearly not. There's enough reviews out there from customers and drivers to show that.

Clearly read different stuff on social media from me then as it's been far from all negative and even the stuff that has it's been out of concern more than anything.

Not new to them either. Facebook since 2010 and Twitter since 2011. Never been all negative

Even you recognise some of the stuff being written is rubbish or highly subjective.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Even you recognise some of the stuff being written is rubbish or highly subjective.

Yeah, I'd never consider that in the things I mention here. There are some very warranted comments and some absolute rubbish. Part of life really. I do think most of the concern to do with buses not turning up and if they do get busier with reductions social distancing will become harder is very warranted but when it comes to the current situation I haven't actually seen much outside of those 2 things. In normal circumstances there can be some absolute drivel but that's the joys of social media

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yeah, I'd never consider that in the things I mention here. There are some very warranted comments and some absolute rubbish. Part of life really. I do think most of the concern to do with buses not turning up and if they do get busier with reductions social distancing will become harder is very warranted but when it comes to the current situation I haven't actually seen much outside of those 2 things. In normal circumstances there can be some absolute drivel but that's the joys of social media

In terms of social distancing, they are taking steps by using deckers on the relatively “busy” routes but on some routes, loadings are so low that with only 3 or 4 passengers, an e200mmc is more than enough to suffice in achieving distancing and mitigating the losses as much as possible.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In terms of social distancing, they are taking steps by using deckers on the relatively “busy” routes but on some routes, loadings are so low that with only 3 or 4 passengers, an e200mmc is more than enough to suffice in achieving distancing and mitigating the losses as much as possible.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It could be info that's passed out on social media too. Don't even need to mention the type name of the bus just a picture of it to illustrate how possible it is. Would everyone believe it? I doubt it but a bit of communication could help

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It could be info that's passed out on social media too. Don't even need to mention the type name of the bus just a picture of it to illustrate how possible it is. Would everyone believe it? I doubt it but a bit of communication could help

This is the same social distancing protocol as the rest of our now daily lives. An announcement should not be necessary

PaulMc7

Established Member
This is the same social distancing protocol as the rest of our now daily lives. An announcement should not be necessary

Shouldn't need an announcement but I think it would help with concerns. Would put some minds at ease I guess

PaulMc7

Established Member

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yeah I knew they'd mentioned it somewhere. Doubt it would take long to get a pic onto Twitter and Facebook to illustrate it more though especially in a time where everyone's perception of how possible and where it is most possible to socially distance effectively differs a lot. Think pictures would clarify it more along with what they've said already on their site

People have been told 2m - those people who can’t understand that won’t understand a picture.

PaulMc7

Established Member
People have been told 2m - those people who can’t understand that won’t understand a picture.

Not meaning from people not understanding the 2m rule just meaning from how many people could be on a bus and for it still to be possible to stick to that 2m. I don't think many people have grasped just how empty buses are too. If you've not been out at all before now it's possible that some don't realise how much things have dropped. Unless you're still working constantly, a driver, work at First or like us there's still room for people not to know

col197

We shouldn’t be persuading people to use buses if they don’t have to END OF. You seem not to have grasped how serious this is.

Also the bus companies don’t need feedback from twitter, they know exactly when people have used buses by looking at ticket machine data.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
We shouldn’t be persuading people to use buses if they don’t have to END OF. You seem not to have grasped how serious this is.

Also the bus companies don’t need feedback from twitter, they know exactly when people have used buses by looking at ticket machine data.

You do realise how often I've mentioned how serious this is right? Plus I'm not talking about people who don't need to use them. I'm talking about the key workers who do need them

col197

I’m sure anyone who is a key worker already knows that and has probably found an alternate way to get to work.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If anyone has a query or concern they should always have that answered very clearly. I mean it's basic customer service and in an industry that serves the public it should be one of the absolute top priorities in any company

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If anyone has a query or concern they should always have that answered very clearly. I mean it's basic customer service and in an industry that serves the public it should be one of the absolute top priorities in any company

They are - just looked at the twitter feed. They are responding almost immediately.

There is one person who's kicking off on there and it's then interesting once you delve into their timeline. They hate First Glasgow.... and Aldi.... and their employer.... and most of the human race.
  • On Tuesday they said "i love having the bus to myself and the empty streets are so nice and calming"
  • Today... "ALSO how am i supposed to keep my distance now that the bus is a lot more busy do you want us to get sick or".....
  • Whilst yesterday they said (possibly about their own role) "people who work in customer service don't get enough appreciation !!!!!"
Even with today's outburst (and there was more) was handled professionally by First's CSR.

First's CS team IS answering very clearly.