• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Scott mac

The daft thing is when the new e400mmc arrived for the 75 24 newer b7sband b9s left the fleet 06 and 07 plates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gingerbus1991

My questions, perhaps off topic, but anyways, why did Volvo not use the D7E for a Euro5 decker, as opposed to the renault sourced D9B.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
My questions, perhaps off topic, but anyways, why did Volvo not use the D7E for a Euro5 decker, as opposed to the renault sourced D9B.

I think it might have been because the D9B offered better fuel economy in a decker? The D7E is easily the far better engine though!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They must be planning to use the Streetlites on more Lanarkshire local services. As has been rumoured before the current Streetlites which are on the 34/34A are to cascade to Lanarkshire also.

lastbus

They must be planning to use the Streetlites on more Lanarkshire local services. As has been rumoured before the current Streetlites which are on the 34/34A are to cascade to Lanarkshire also.

Do you know when the buses for the 34 are due to enter service?

JonnyB1984

47549/50 due from Bath though the latter was still in the South West last night
thanks for info
Streetlites to run on 242 until Feb/March next year when the E200s arrive for it
These will go to Caledonia for work before entering service
Yes they will be painted into new livery before going to Overtown.
Do you know when the buses for the 34 are due to enter service?
Service 34 is the next to get new vehicles and are meant to be in service by end of Dec

Realistic_Spy

2 Enviro200 EV are to enter service for the M3 sometime next year. I think we need more Electric buses in Glasgow.

route101

Established Member
Seen 3 E400mmcs on 75 running together on Stockwell st earlier around 2 . Made a great pic if i had got it .

JonnyB1984

I am guessing that on Sunday's the 241 will be running non branded vehicles since Overtown is closed or is that being changed?

lastbus

I am guessing that on Sunday's the 241 will be running non branded vehicles since Overtown is closed or is that being changed?

241 will be operated out of Blantyre on Sundays as it is currently normally with the enviros used on the 226

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Noticed a lot of FSE buses in the new livery at Caledonia. Their Streetlites look so much better in that livery so looking forward to seeing Glasgow’s receive the same treatment!

route101

Established Member
Noticed a lot of FSE buses in the new livery at Caledonia. Their Streetlites look so much better in that livery so looking forward to seeing Glasgow’s receive the same treatment!
Find the new livery on FIG too bland , too much white . Shows up the dirt ! Bit like white cars.

Didnt realise overtown closed on a sunday.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Find the new livery on FIG too bland , too much white . Shows up the dirt ! Bit like white cars.

Didnt realise overtown closed on a sunday.

I do agree. I definately think it looks better with the colour branding on the front but the buses without do look very plain. The E300s are the worst looking I’d say. However I haven’t seen any E200s in the new livery yet so we’ll see! Would be nice to see more routes branded.

alangla

Bizarre, I always thought services like that were like the 46, I.e. a dumping ground for the dregs of the fleet.

smtglasgow

The 65 getting new buses still seems like a really odd plot twist, but if it boosts use (and gets rid of a few old buses) then its all good. There are a lot of new houses being built in Cathkin at the moment, so maybe an attempt to tempt new users?

Talking of Cathkin and new houses, I wonder if the 18 will need to be increased soon. There’s another big development under way in Dalmarnock near the games village and if the new buses generate any new passengers, things could get sticky – it’s already at capacity in the peaks. Can’t think of many opportunities to grow bus services in Glasgow, but the 18 seems like a success story.

Also, there was a notice on the bus last night about the fares going up next month (the 2nd).

Strange to see route branding for an every 30 mins route !

Bizarre, I always thought services like that were like the 46, I.e. a dumping ground for the dregs of the fleet.

Agreed on both, for me it's very unusual for such a marginal route as the 65 to get expensive brand new route branded buses.
I like many on here will remember First Glasgow Red fully financially depreciated Volvo CityBuses, B10MS and Ailsas staggering around on marginal routes like these and 10 minute/"Overground" routes getting brand new Barbie buses.
These days routes like the M3, 65 and the 242 are getting new buses-routes that I would not have pegged for investment and getting cascaded stock, bus interiors being refurbished (and not just a token re-moquette of seats) and risking brand new high spec buses on the 75. Changed days indeed. Amazing what a LEZ can do....

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Agreed on both, for me it's very unusual for such a marginal route as the 65 to get expensive brand new route branded buses.
I like many on here will remember First Glasgow Red fully financially depreciated Volvo CityBuses, B10MS and Ailsas staggering around on marginal routes like these and 10 minute/"Overground" routes getting brand new Barbie buses.
These days routes like the M3, 65 and the 242 are getting new buses-routes that I would not have pegged for investment and getting cascaded stock, bus interiors being refurbished (and not just a token re-moquette of seats) and risking brand new high spec buses on the 75. Changed days indeed. Amazing what a LEZ can do....

The general rule used to be that a city service had to be Every 20 Minutes or better to qualify for route branding, times change and this is no longer the case. The idea i suspect here is to stimulate growth in the hope of increasing frequency on the route over time.