• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
The MD has tweeted that the first of the 65 branded Enviro200MMCs is now in service.

route101

Established Member
The 65 getting new buses still seems like a really odd plot twist, but if it boosts use (and gets rid of a few old buses) then its all good. There are a lot of new houses being built in Cathkin at the moment, so maybe an attempt to tempt new users?

Talking of Cathkin and new houses, I wonder if the 18 will need to be increased soon. There’s another big development under way in Dalmarnock near the games village and if the new buses generate any new passengers, things could get sticky – it’s already at capacity in the peaks. Can’t think of many opportunities to grow bus services in Glasgow, but the 18 seems like a success story.

Also, there was a notice on the bus last night about the fares going up next month (the 2nd).

I think with the 18 is serves areas where its easier to get the bus than the train , cathkin and calderwood .

The 65 is a windy route after rutherglen towards cambuslang .

d1672

Hi, Just a quick note of Fleet Numbers from another group.
Enviro 200MMC - 44663 to 44676 I believe that this batch is for the 241 and 65
Enviro 200MMC - 67020 to 67027 I believe that this batch is for the 34
Enviro 400MMC - 33251 to 33268 This batch is for the 18 together with 33223/4/5.

Thomas

Scott mac

Hi, Just a quick note of Fleet Numbers from another group.
Enviro 200MMC - 44663 to 44676 I believe that this batch is for the 241 and 65
Enviro 200MMC - 67020 to 67027 I believe that this batch is for the 34
Enviro 400MMC - 33251 to 33268 This batch is for the 18 together with 33223/4/5.

Thomas
This can't be right theirs 33 e200mmc due for Glasgow 12 for the 242 so that leaves 18 left surely theirs more than 7 for the 34/34a

lastbus

This can't be right theirs 33 e200mmc due for Glasgow 12 for the 242 so that leaves 18 left surely theirs more than 7 for the 34/34a

241 is 12 buses not 242 also the 242 is not getting buses until next year now and the 34 is getting full size e200mmcs

Scott mac

241 is 12 buses not 242 also the 242 is not getting buses until next year now and the 34 is getting full size e200mmcs
Yes ano but their was 32 new e200mmc only 7/8 for the 34/34a that isn't enough for that route

sannox

Just off of the branded 9s (69103). How can first run these in competition with the McGill's Citaros. Seat upholstery is totally worn out at edges. It's manky with stains so people arent sitting on certain seats. It's dark because of the branding on rear window too. No wonder they charge a lower fare in the 9!

KGGXXXY

Just off of the branded 9s (69103). How can first run these in competition with the McGill's Citaros. Seat upholstery is totally worn out at edges. It's manky with stains so people arent sitting on certain seats. It's dark because of the branding on rear window too. No wonder they charge a lower fare in the 9!
Tottally agree, the money spent on branding the outside and inside of these buses was wasted, was on one where there was a leak from the roof and the windows too as well as the threadbare seats. Branding worn out buses doesn't do much for first Glasgows reputation. I think they learned that before doing the 61 refurbs.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Tottally agree, the money spent on branding the outside and inside of these buses was wasted, was on one where there was a leak from the roof and the windows too as well as the threadbare seats. Branding worn out buses doesn't do much for first Glasgows reputation. I think they learned that before doing the 61 refurbs.

Such a shame because the B7RLEs are such great buses. With a leather retrim and some TLC they would look the business. They rattle a lot more than they did when new but that’s natural. I mean they are refurbishment deckers which are only a year older.

I’m glad the 61 got some refurbished stock. I mean new buses would have been nice but it was long overdue. The 60 is another route which will benefit from new stock. The 9 used to be another route which got new buses at a time but seem to have fallen off the radar too.

route101

Established Member
Such a shame because the B7RLEs are such great buses. With a leather retrim and some TLC they would look the business. They rattle a lot more than they did when new but that’s natural. I mean they are refurbishment deckers which are only a year older.

I’m glad the 61 got some refurbished stock. I mean new buses would have been nice but it was long overdue. The 60 is another route which will benefit from new stock. The 9 used to be another route which got new buses at a time but seem to have fallen off the radar too.

Yeah the 9 has been cut back a lot . Still think the Penilee and braehead section should be different number , bring the 54 back.

Yeah 60 , did hear thats in the pipeline for new buses . Was on a 51 plate trident on the 60 other night and it had some problem , every time it set off from a stop it revved and thrusted forward .

route101

Established Member

Yeah the older geminis suffer from these stains too on the seats . Dont get why first still run to Paisley

Gingerbus1991

First Glasgow have simply got in way over there heads, now they seem struggling to keep up where Both Stagecoach took over the Cumbernauld/Easterhouse Fastlink and mcgills are strong with the 38 from paisley both with much newer vehicles in place with lower fares.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
First Glasgow have simply got in way over there heads, now they seem struggling to keep up where Both Stagecoach took over the Cumbernauld/Easterhouse Fastlink and mcgills are strong with the 38 from paisley both with much newer vehicles in place with lower fares.

Only thing I'd disagree on is that McGill's don't have lower fares. They must be the most expensive in the Glasgow area.

Gingerbus1991

Only thing I'd disagree on is that McGill's don't have lower fares. They must be the most expensive in the Glasgow area.
Either way it simply is not good enough on both fronts.

See below, possibly First Glasgows attempt to stem some of the money being spent for the LEZ, how can they say fuel prices go up when fuel prices as far as I can see it have stay pretty much the same across scotland.

Even if first group gave me a golden nugget, I still wouldnt believe what Andrew Jarvis is doin is right!

I think a £2.40 fare is way to expensive. Why not start at £1.50, meaning a jounrey to a from your destination is only £3 then you dayticket at £4 for more than two journeys, first glasgow on that matter will never gain passenger patronage on any front.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news...-out-at-first-bus-over-planned-fare-increase/

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Either way it simply is not good enough on both fronts.

See below, possibly First Glasgows attempt to stem some of the money being spent for the LEZ, how can they say fuel prices go up when fuel prices as far as I can see it have stay pretty much the same across scotland.

Even if first group gave me a golden nugget, I still wouldnt believe what Andrew Jarvis is doin is right!

I think a £2.40 fare is way to expensive. Why not start at £1.50, meaning a jounrey to a from your destination is only £3 then you dayticket at £4 for more than two journeys, first glasgow on that matter will never gain passenger patronage on any front.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news...-out-at-first-bus-over-planned-fare-increase/

£2.40 is not that bad once distance is taken in to account, also the fares don't start at £2.40. Stagecoach here charge £3.50 on some routes to the edge of the city! Aberdeen of course being much smaller than Glasgow.

route101

Established Member

Im surprised they still operate the X3 to Cumbernauld . Though Stagecoach have not really launched any city routes in Glasgow .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Im surprised they still operate the X3 to Cumbernauld . Though Stagecoach have not really launched any city routes in Glasgow .

I remember when the B7TLs were new they branded them for the Xpress services. There was the X2, X3, X4, X5 possibly more! Wonder why First pulled out from Cumbernauld. Couldn’t have been making much money?

It would be nice to see them relaunch in Cumbernauld. I’m not sure how long the X3 will last before they completely pull out. Didn’t Stagecoach try and compete with the Magic Bus until they both came to an agreement if First pulled out of a certain area in Ayrshire?

Gingerbus1991

I remember when the B7TLs were new they branded them for the Xpress services. There was the X2, X3, X4, X5 possibly more! Wonder why First pulled out from Cumbernauld. Couldn’t have been making much money?

It would be nice to see them relaunch in Cumbernauld. I’m not sure how long the X3 will last before they completely pull out. Didn’t Stagecoach try and compete with the Magic Bus until they both came to an agreement if First pulled out of a certain area in Ayrshire?
I was one of the drivers at cumbernauld whhilst stagecoach x25 competed with Firsts x5 and x80, at the time it was solely down to price and the fact stagecoach coaches they used were more comfortable that's firsts Geminis at the time, hence the reasoning when first did pull out stagecoach has since changed its coaches to deckers. To the annoyance of many passengers I assume.

First could've fought back with nicer buses and lower fares.

Bus Lightyear

I was one of the drivers at cumbernauld whhilst stagecoach x25 competed with Firsts x5 and x80, at the time it was solely down to price and the fact stagecoach coaches they used were more comfortable that's firsts Geminis at the time, hence the reasoning when first did pull out stagecoach has since changed its coaches to deckers. To the annoyance of many passengers I assume.

First could've fought back with nicer buses and lower fares.

I actually preferred First's Cumbernauld Express Services to Stagecoach's who don't seem to know what they're doing with the X28. You could buy a FirstDay Network ticket and use it all over the city.

I also preferred First's Geminis and Royale Olympians. The plaxton coaches that Stagecoach used were cramped and with a very dull interior. Same with the coaches that First used around 1997/98 (still trading as Kelvin).

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I've just came off one of the new E400s for the 18. A couple of things that don't really appeal to me but I'm assuming it's down to budget.

1 - Not enough seats on the lower deck. You could quite easily get another couple of rows in easily if the tip up seats weren't there.

2 - Who thought beige would be a good seat colour? I thought beige went out of fashion in the 80s?

It's interesting that Bluebird's E400s have got more seats on the lower deck than what Glasgow are now getting as standard.

Gingerbus1991

I've just came off one of the new E400s for the 18. A couple of things that don't really appeal to me but I'm assuming it's down to budget.

1 - Not enough seats on the lower deck. You could quite easily get another couple of rows in easily if the tip up seats weren't there.

2 - Who thought beige would be a good seat colour? I thought beige went out of fashion in the 80s?

It's interesting that Bluebird's E400s have got more seats on the lower deck than what Glasgow are now getting as standard.
If First bought 10.9m 400MMCs that'd would help the seating capacity downstairs.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just noticed the 18 E400MMCs are “YX” plates compared with the other stock which are “SK”. I wonder if there are plans to have these moved about once newer stock starts to arrive.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Just noticed the 18 E400MMCs are “YX” plates compared with the other stock which are “SK”. I wonder if there are plans to have these moved about once newer stock starts to arrive.

Registrations mean nothing these days since the regional DVLA offices closed. Also what would be the point of route branding them of First were intending to move them at a later date?