• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Only really noticed this tonight on more buses on the app near me but there's definitely more buses full at this time on the 1s and 2s in particular although it's starting to occasionally happen on the 3 too. I definitely think the weather picking up and things opening up is causing it though. I've seen more complaints about buses being full too of late.

It's a shame that the government won't keep funding levels as they are if buses go back to full capacity because there's definitely a risk of losing more passengers the longer the buses aren't at full capacity. I'd imagine some services would do alright if capacity was normal but definitely nowhere near all just yet.
Saturdays to me are the busiest day now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus Lightyear

It's a shame that the government won't keep funding levels as they are if buses go back to full capacity because there's definitely a risk of losing more passengers the longer the buses aren't at full capacity. I'd imagine some services would do alright if capacity was normal but definitely nowhere near all just yet.
How do you know the Government wont continue funding?

route101

Established Member
It's been mentioned by others on this thread.

I've noticed the same to be honest. Last couple of Saturdays especially have been incredibly busy.
Busy route 6 into Town around 8am this morning. Single decker.

Few darts and smaller E200s on the 3 and 6 I noticed.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Busy route 6 into Town around 8am this morning. Single decker.

Few darts and smaller E200s on the 3 and 6 I noticed.
I've noticed a lot of single deckers on the 6 lately to be fair. A lot of them being buses from the 2 and 3. The X4 has been the same from what I've seen too. A lot of 2/3 branded buses on that too.

route101

Established Member
I've noticed a lot of single deckers on the 6 lately to be fair. A lot of them being buses from the 2 and 3. The X4 has been the same from what I've seen too. A lot of 2/3 branded buses on that too.

I think First were running buses to Hampden, maybe thats why. Yes, the 6 quite often has 2 and 3 branded E300s.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've managed to notice something rather impressive in the City Centre twice now in the recent times I've been out. Got a 57A earlier that managed to sit for 5 mins after being early at Jamaica Street despite getting stuck at practically every traffic light from Cathedral Street to there. I had a 6 that done a similar thing at Union Street a couple of weeks back too.

Peak loads being wildly inconsistent seems to be the main reason though I'd imagine. There seems to be plenty of services busier at 7/8pm than 4/5pm unlike pre-Covid.

I highly doubt it but would service levels ever drop off peak to then be increased later on to reflect the changes in loads after the afternoon peak? Certainly just now with the 1C/2/3 in particular at times it's very difficult to get one at 7/8pm compared to earlier in some days.

Could it be like a 21 situation where into Glasgow from Cathkin at night they're 1 an hour but 2 an hour out of Glasgow?

I'd imagine the dead run costs would become a factor though.

route101

Established Member
I've managed to notice something rather impressive in the City Centre twice now in the recent times I've been out. Got a 57A earlier that managed to sit for 5 mins after being early at Jamaica Street despite getting stuck at practically every traffic light from Cathedral Street to there. I had a 6 that done a similar thing at Union Street a couple of weeks back too.

Peak loads being wildly inconsistent seems to be the main reason though I'd imagine. There seems to be plenty of services busier at 7/8pm than 4/5pm unlike pre-Covid.

I highly doubt it but would service levels ever drop off peak to then be increased later on to reflect the changes in loads after the afternoon peak? Certainly just now with the 1C/2/3 in particular at times it's very difficult to get one at 7/8pm compared to earlier in some days.

Could it be like a 21 situation where into Glasgow from Cathkin at night they're 1 an hour but 2 an hour out of Glasgow?

I'd imagine the dead run costs would become a factor though.
Loads are more spread out through the day. Saturdays the busiest. Most single decks on the 6 are busy from town, after 2pm.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Loads are more spread out through the day. Saturdays the busiest. Most single decks on the 6 are busy from town, after 2pm.
From experience, Saturdays and Sundays have been pretty busy but midweek is catching up fast. 2/3pm and 7/8pm seems to be the busiest times now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It definitely feels like the capacity increase came at the right time here. Already seen a few buses full even with the increase and others very close to it.

My 1C earlier up to Drumchapel was pretty close to being full as a single decker and my 6A to Anniesland and 6 from there were also the same.

Hopefully it's a sign that once we get on another month or two, buses will be busy enough to be sustainable if funding lowers.

Volvodart

Established Member
If level 0 happens on 9 August as planned, social distancing should end on buses then, but masks may still be needed, although something may happen sooner as Wales is now going to use all forward facing seats as in England.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If level 0 happens on 9 August as planned, social distancing should end on buses then, but masks may still be needed.
Good to know thanks. What's the situation for funding? I've seen October mentioned but that was a couple of weeks back before the latest Covid exit plans from Scotgov

route101

Established Member
It definitely feels like the capacity increase came at the right time here. Already seen a few buses full even with the increase and others very close to it.

My 1C earlier up to Drumchapel was pretty close to being full as a single decker and my 6A to Anniesland and 6 from there were also the same.

Hopefully it's a sign that once we get on another month or two, buses will be busy enough to be sustainable if funding lowers.
Did they increase the capacity on the buses? I saw on the app that one of the E400s was showing as having 49 seats free.

What I find funny is some buses have the seat covers and on some buses they have been taken off.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Did they increase the capacity on the buses? I seen on the app, one of the E400s was showing as 49 seats free.

What I find funny is some buses have the seat covers and on some buses they have been taken off.
65% now. It randomly changed on the app late on Saturday night. I've found that the seats at the front are still taped off but that's been it so far. I've not seen any stickers on the sides of buses updated yet though. The ones I've seen still have the previous capacity numbers. I think the increase has caught everyone by surprise because it's all I've seen people mention on First's social media and heard a few discussing it while out today.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
65% now. It randomly changed on the app late on Saturday night. I've found that the seats at the front are still taped off but that's been it so far. I've not seen any stickers on the sides of buses updated yet though. The ones I've seen still have the previous capacity numbers. I think the increase has caught everyone by surprise because it's all I've seen people mention on First's social media and heard a few discussing it while out today.
It "officially" was changed from Monday. Only the seats over the front wheels and rear facing seats should be taped off now.

lastbus

It’s 65% and at the drivers and other passengers discretion. If passengers do not want to sit next to each other then they must leave the bus. No standing under any circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
It’s 65% at the drivers and other passengers discretion. If passengers do not want to sit next to each other then they must leave the bus. No standing under any circumstances.
Thanks for the info

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
It’s 65% at the drivers and other passengers discretion. If passengers do not want to sit next to each other then they must leave the bus. No standing under any circumstances.

Someone might want to tell the drivers that then. The 75 has had folk standing for the last few days now leaving the city centre heading towards Toryglen and Mount Florida.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Someone might want to tell the drivers that then. The 75 has had folk standing for the last few days now leaving the city centre heading towards Toryglen and Mount Florida.
My 6 earlier had 2 standing for a couple of stops too and 3 schoolkids sitting on the 3 seats that are still not in use at the front. On an E300. It was right after a driver change too so I think the new driver was more concerned with getting the bus back on time than anything else from what I noticed.

Having someone sit beside me doesn't really bother me to be quite honest though.

route101

Established Member
My 6 earlier had 2 standing for a couple of stops too and 3 schoolkids sitting on the 3 seats that are still not in use at the front. On an E300. It was right after a driver change too so I think the new driver was more concerned with getting the bus back on time than anything else from what I noticed.

Having someone sit beside me doesn't really bother me to be quite honest though.
Still not had anyone sit next to me yet on bus or train! I think i have got too used to it now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Still not had anyone sit next to me yet on bus or train! I think i have got too used to it now.
I'm normally out with my girlfriend or sister so that was the first time since before Covid.

It did feel a bit weird for a minute or two but it's as you say about being used to things.

It's pretty refreshing knowing that I shouldn't need to let any buses go by me full now though. Trying to plan out journeys around busy times wasn't fun.

On another note, I noticed that today some of the new registrations for the 11th of July have gone through VOSA.

Anything else planned for now or is it just all timetable changes?

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I'm normally out with my girlfriend or sister so that was the first time since before Covid.

It did feel a bit weird for a minute or two but it's as you say about being used to things.

It's pretty refreshing knowing that I shouldn't need to let any buses go by me full now though. Trying to plan out journeys around busy times wasn't fun.

On another note, I noticed that today some of the new registrations for the 11th of July have gone through VOSA.

Buses fairly busy today. Seen a few bus full displays, only on single decker buses.

Again two number 6s turned up from East Kilbride to town . Happens all the time now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Buses fairly busy today. Seen a few bus full displays, only on single decker buses.

Again two number 6s turned up from East Kilbride to town . Happens all the time now.
I spotted a few on the app earlier too. Would be handy if the app told you if it was a single or double decker like McGill's app does. It happens from Clydebank too on occasion. One runs late into Clydebank and it's too late for it to leave on time so 2 end up together.

The 2 does it a lot as well. They pile up towards Faifley, a couple leave late and then they've already bunched up by the time they get back down to Clydebank

lastbus

The X8 and 9 are moving to Caledonia. Scotstoun I believe they will now operate all of the 2 and 6 service. There will be bus movements on this date as well.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The X8 and 9 are moving to Caledonia and scotstoun I believe will now operate all of the 2 and 6 service. There will be bus movements on this date as well.
All the new Electric Buses will be based at Caledonia, hence the 9 moving.

route101

Established Member
The X8 and 9 are moving to Caledonia and scotstoun I believe will now operate all of the 2 and 6 service. There will be bus movements on this date as well.

Will the low heights get moved over to Scotstoun Depot?

I spotted a few on the app earlier too. Would be handy if the app told you if it was a single or double decker like McGill's app does. It happens from Clydebank too on occasion. One runs late into Clydebank and it's too late for it to leave on time so 2 end up together.

The 2 does it a lot as well. They pile up towards Faifley, a couple leave late and then they've already bunched up by the time they get back down to Clydebank
You can work out if its a decker or not, from the number of seats displaying on the app. Useful on the 6.