• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

goldisgood

First have won a tender to operate one morning and one evening journey from Law village to wishaw hospital

Also Overtown depot are to get 11 new buses at the end of January
Are these 12 of the 75 for 2019, or an extra order?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I thought it was 16 new buses (67020-67035), that were for 34/34A.

There are a few pink branded E200MMCs still running around on the 2 which nobody seems to know where they are for. Seems rather odd. You’d think they’d be placed on the 34/34A to allow the Streetlites to be cascaded elsewhere?

route101

Established Member
There are a few pink branded E200MMCs still running around on the 2 which nobody seems to know where they are for. Seems rather odd. You’d think they’d be placed on the 34/34A to allow the Streetlites to be cascaded elsewhere?
Someone on FB group knows but wont tell .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if First have any plans to refresh ‘the one’ fleet. The E300s are looking a bit tired from being battered up and down the express ways. It’s a really busy route and surely must be profitable. I don’t think the E300s are good for this route. I also think the branding is looking a bit tired. They could be doing with tarting it up a bit with the urban livery

route101

Established Member
I wonder if First have any plans to refresh ‘the one’ fleet. The E300s are looking a bit tired from being battered up and down the express ways. It’s a really busy route and surely must be profitable. I don’t think the E300s are good for this route. I also think the branding is looking a bit tired. They could be doing with tarting it up a bit with the urban livery

Still a bit new for new buses perhaps , oldest E300s in the fleet though . It is busy ,but are people going from Dunbarton , Balloch and Helensburgh to Glasgow? It is a frequent route with the sum of its parts giving the frequency . Strange though no night service .

Gingerbus1991

Just off a B7RLE on the 88, what a shoddy, rank mess of a bus!

Held together with rivets!

What a joke of a company, right alongside Stagecoach..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181227_130744_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20181227_130744_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
I find it quite funny reading all the negative posts about First in Glasgow, I suppose I must be too used to the travesty that is First Manchester to find the service bad - I do a lot of travelling on the 4(A), 8, 60(A), 61 and 90, and haven't really found anything too objectionable.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I find it quite funny reading all the negative posts about First in Glasgow, I suppose I must be too used to the travesty that is First Manchester to find the service bad - I do a lot of travelling on the 4(A), 8, 60(A), 61 and 90, and haven't really found anything too objectionable.

When you look at the grand scale of things - First are a big company. Regardless of the debts they are in, they still are a huge company, taking in massive amounts of money everyday. In many cities - including big cities like Glasgow - they are the main operator.

Bus travel isn’t exactly cheap in this day in age. You’re talking £4 odds for an all day within Glasgow. Their fares have creeped up and up and up over the years. I don’t think it’s a huge ask for them to run clean, reliable buses in exchange for the money they make. I’m not ignoring that the public can be very ignorant and vandalise, abuse buses BUT it’s almost as though we should be thankful that the even provide a service for us at all. “I’ve seen worse” - First are a company who supposedly serve the people. They are funded by the people in a sense. It all seems very half arsed with them all the time. Old, rattly buses serving major bus routes throughout the network. It’s wrong and First are a mess. They have been for many years now. All these new buses being advertised are great but this should and could have been prevented many years ago. A complete lack of investment from First put them in this mess. There are never any added extras - it’s the cheapest of the cheap buses nowadays with expensive fares which we are supposed to just be ok with. Let’s not get deluded - First are a mess.

Gingerbus1991

I think many enthusiasts are out of touch with what the general public think or how they perceive the buses around glasgow, I’ve lived in glasgow my whole life and have not came to expect much from any of the major operators around the city.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Much of the general public think they have the worst of everything regardless of if they actually do or not and are never satisfied. In all fairness £4.60 is actually pretty cheap when you considering the size of the area. Many areas outside Glasgow have it far worse, for example in Inverness the day ticket is £4.20, now this may sound cheaper, but you need to take in to account it covers a fraction of the area, also bus services don't exactly make lots of money. I hardly see a few rivets/bolts holding a piece of interior trim in place a major issue, yes it's not all that professional and looks tacky. But is it worth screaming about? No, that's just overreacting. First Glasgow clearly do have their issues, but i think certain members on here are just overreacting and trying to paint a much worse picture than reality. If it bothers you that much than go do something that will change public transport in Glasgow for the better (or not), running bus services ain't an easy task regardless of size. Moaning over and over on forums about the exact same issue time and time again ain't gonna get you anywhere and it certainly ain't gonna solve the issues at hand.

route101

Established Member
Just off a B7RLE on the 88, what a shoddy, rank mess of a bus!

Held together with rivets!

What a joke of a company, right alongside Stagecoach..

The B7RLE need a refresh , wonder how long first will keep these . Had one on the last 6 other week , stinking and seats bogging . Same with geminis .
The day ticket price aint to bad . The single is dear for shorter hops but EK to Glasgow aint bad.

Gingerbus1991

The B7RLE need a refresh , wonder how long first will keep these . Had one on the last 6 other week , stinking and seats bogging . Same with geminis .
The day ticket price aint to bad . The single is dear for shorter hops but EK to Glasgow aint bad.
The day ticket cost isnt extreme when you consider the amount of buses it can be used on, less so on the outer extremities where the £5.50 network ticket is needed.

Its not just the interior shoddyness, I cant recall what the fleet number was, but the one I was on today, was noisy as hell, battered over every crumb and holy hells the gearboxes nudgeing and jerkying..

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Oh please I’m not going to sit here and be told that I’m exaggerating - I’ve been travelling on buses for years. Glasgow lacks majorly. Even Lothian is better. There’s no real comparison. There’s room for improvement. Any good company would believe that there is always room for improvement.

Gingerbus1991

Oh please I’m not going to sit here and be told that I’m exaggerating - I’ve been travelling on buses for years. Glasgow lacks majorly. Even Lothian is better. There’s no real comparison. There’s room for improvement. Any good company would believe that there is always room for improvement.
Agreed

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Not one for rumours at all and this could be purely speculation but heard a bit of talk about new pink branded E200MMCs for the 2 (the exact same as the ones already in service). They are apparently included in the new order. This is to allow the current E200s and E300s to cascade elsewhere on the network.

route101

Established Member
Not one for rumours at all and this could be purely speculation but heard a bit of talk about new pink branded E200MMCs for the 2 (the exact same as the ones already in service). They are apparently included in the new order. This is to allow the current E200s and E300s to cascade elsewhere on the network.

Id thought the 2 would be better off with E400MMCs . I thought that the pink ones on the 2 are for a route that requires like 4 buses , 64 or 31 (wouldnt cope at peaks with a single)

Was out on the buses earlier , 6, 77 , 3 and 57 . Noticed that E400S were on the 4 and 6 . One was on 5 too .

lastbus

There are only 12 e200s in the new order. Overtown are getting 11 new e200s around the end of January for the 242 and 254. The pink e200s currently on the 2 look very much like the 242 buses on the posters.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There are only 12 e200s in the new order. Overtown are getting 11 new e200s around the end of January for the 242 and 254. The pink e200s currently on the 2 look very much like the 242 buses on the posters.

Surely the 242 wouldn’t be receiving full length buses though?

Also I definately think the new branded E200s look good on the 2. I’ve seen them a few times and they appear to be very eye catching in pink. Shame... just a rumour I guess

lastbus

Surely the 242 wouldn’t be receiving full length buses though?

Also I definately think the new branded E200s look good on the 2. I’ve seen them a few times and they appear to be very eye catching in pink. Shame... just a rumour I guess

They are not for the 242 just saying the colour is similar to the poster no one seems to know what they are for.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Scotstoun seem to be doing quite well at churning out the re-livered E300s. Noticed a good few on the 2 today. The new livery is growing on me but it’s definately missing something. It would be nice to see some of the E300s branded.

Gingerbus1991

Scotstoun seem to be doing quite well at churning out the re-livered E300s. Noticed a good few on the 2 today. The new livery is growing on me but it’s definately missing something. It would be nice to see some of the E300s branded.
Of course there is something missing..

(Photo borrowed and slightly edited)

Attachments

• B6708677-0B6E-4AA3-A3C8-511D4E808D5F.png
    B6708677-0B6E-4AA3-A3C8-511D4E808D5F.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 52

KGGXXXY

Does anyone know why the Ferrograph On Vehicle Display on first Glasgow buses are not in use. I remember years ago they kept updating where they were and approaching now they just stay static on "Ferrograph OVD".
Also noted the redundant TVs on some old eclipses were these ever in use and what did they show?