• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

sannox

Quite a busy route ,during the day at least as its runs across the Southside , i find it useful getting from EK to Shawlands.

Did it not extend to Carmunnock at one time?

It's going to be one route, so all services will go into the hospital and terminate at govan, frequency being reduced(word is 20 minute service) but length of route increased so it's not quite as simply as a 50% reduction in buses, it is a busy route, prior to hospital opening was 20 minute service, even with the additional passengers due to the hospital a 20 minute service should still cope though will be very busy at times, I'd hope it wasnt that frequency and was at least a 15 minute service but suppose we will need to wait and see when the timetable appears

Makes sense to get rid of the route variation. I think 20 minutes is not frequent enough at the core section of the route between Cardonald and Mount Florida however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KMS1992

I got the 9 home tonight about 8pm. Standing room only by the time we left town. Old, dirty and cramped bus.

smtglasgow

I got the 9 home tonight about 8pm. Standing room only by the time we left town. Old, dirty and cramped bus.
Full buses in the early evening has been a problem for a few years now. Regularly see standing loads on the 2, 18 and 240 and the 6 and the 75 can get pretty cozy as well – no doubt the buses are just as busy heading in other directions. First cut back the evening frequencies a few years ago so that just about everything goes to a 30 min service after 7 – before that most of the main routes were 20 mins till 9. Seems odd – lots of people in Glasgow work in call centres etc that don’t operate the traditional 9 to 5 day.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I would like to hope that sometime in the near future First realise that the 2 needs deckers. It’s a very frequent service however sometimes singles just don’t work. Buses are full to the brim while a bus running directly behind can either be empty or just as full. With all the new stock arriving it would be interesting to see this route become decker operated or at least part decker operated. It could probably run with singles and deckers.

They’ve tried throughout the years to have these routes single deck operated with the introduction of L113s/L94s, B10BLEs, B7Ls, B7RLEs and they’ve even tried bendys which I thought worked quite well. They had Royales working alongside the singles for a time and before the E300s arrived it was full of B7TLs but they always revert back to single operation. They did the same with routes like the 61 and the 40 but they realised it didn’t work and introduced deckers again.

On a separate note I noticed the airport E200MMCs all lined up at Caledonia. Has it been confirmed if they’re going to First Cyrmru yet?

lastbus

I would like to hope that sometime in the near future First realise that the 2 needs deckers. It’s a very frequent service however sometimes singles just don’t work. Buses are full to the brim while a bus running directly behind can either be empty or just as full. With all the new stock arriving it would be interesting to see this route become decker operated or at least part decker operated. It could probably run with singles and deckers.

They’ve tried throughout the years to have these routes single deck operated with the introduction of L113s/L94s, B10BLEs, B7Ls, B7RLEs and they’ve even tried bendys which I thought worked quite well. They had Royales working alongside the singles for a time and before the E300s arrived it was full of B7TLs but they always revert back to single operation. They did the same with routes like the 61 and the 40 but they realised it didn’t work and introduced deckers again.

On a separate note I noticed the airport E200MMCs all lined up at Caledonia. Has it been confirmed if they’re going to First Cyrmru yet?
Yes they should be leaving soon.

route101

Established Member

Thats the problem , when they bunch up or theres a gap along with other services. Singles must be cheaper to run or something

route101

Established Member
Full buses in the early evening has been a problem for a few years now. Regularly see standing loads on the 2, 18 and 240 and the 6 and the 75 can get pretty cozy as well – no doubt the buses are just as busy heading in other directions. First cut back the evening frequencies a few years ago so that just about everything goes to a 30 min service after 7 – before that most of the main routes were 20 mins till 9. Seems odd – lots of people in Glasgow work in call centres etc that don’t operate the traditional 9 to 5 day.

Certainly , thursday , friday and Saturday nights , got a last 6 home on Wednesday , was packed stinking elclipse . i think it was every 20mins till 10 .75 is well used all day .

route101

Established Member
Did it not extend to Carmunnock at one time?

Makes sense to get rid of the route variation. I think 20 minutes is not frequent enough at the core section of the route between Cardonald and Mount Florida however.

34 and 5a went to EK im sure.

SarahDFIG

ex airport vehicles getting ready to leave for Cmyru

61612 also reported withdrawn from dumbarton

route101

Established Member
Probably because a Sunday timetable is a lot less frequent than Monday-Friday and even Saturday so there must have been a lot of E300s spare to cover the full route. The E300s are fairly new in comparison to the B7RLEs which are now 13/14 years old.
WX55 TZP 66953 and WX54 XDB 66718 are the ex Swansea B7RLEs with the leather seats

Are they recent arrivals from Wales?

route101

Established Member
Yes though both began life with Somerset and Avon at Bath and Wells respectively, 66953 also working in Southampton after it was swapped for a decker as they needed more deckers in Bristol/Bath so history repeating itself.

I see , i thought they were existing . Was hoping new seat covers for eclipses and geminis

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Is the plan to basically have all of the B7RLEs operating out of Caledonia until they retire? Not sure if the Lanarkshire depots have any now? Really only Scotstoun have them and Caledonia. But if the rumours are true and they upgrade the 9 to E200MMCs then that’ll probably oust the majority of B7RLEs.

It would be nice to see them all upgraded to some standard. They’re still good buses and actually only a year or so older than the B9TLs being done. They are just tired on the inside. A retrim and small tidy up inside could allow them to end their days is relatively good condition which will probably be about 3/4 years from now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is the plan to basically have all of the B7RLEs operating out of Caledonia until they retire? Not sure if the Lanarkshire depots have any now? Really only Scotstoun have them and Caledonia. But if the rumours are true and they upgrade the 9 to E200MMCs then that’ll probably oust the majority of B7RLEs.

It would be nice to see them all upgraded to some standard. They’re still good buses and actually only a year or so older than the B9TLs being done. They are just tired on the inside. A retrim and small tidy up inside could allow them to end their days is relatively good condition which will probably be about 3/4 years from now.

Depends. The B9s are both newer and will have a longer life. First West of England refurbished some of their 54 plates a couple of years ago but not others. Meanwhile, First Cymru have been refurbishing some of their 56 plates. I agree that they really should have been refreshed before now AND that they are good machines. However, spending a chunk of money on them when there are other vehicles that are newer but are also approaching the time for a mid life refresh, is probably a better use of limited funds.

new 34 timetable on the traveline website the 34 and 34a will still operate as normal as 2 different route Monday to Saturdays with the frequency now every 10 minutes between Castlemilk and Shieldhall Roundabout with a 20 minute frequency to Govan and QUEH

Bus Lightyear

I would've thought Dumbarton would be the next area to receive the Volvo B7rles to replace their B10bles

lastbus

Blantyre still has several B7RLEs

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
First Cymru have a new red livery though depends on what they will be used on. They’ll also need reconfiguring with the luggage racks - a trip to Thornton’s?

I’d doubt it. The E300s that went to Somerset didn’t have their luggage racks removed and they were by that time 6 years old. These buses are 3 so I don’t see them removing them. I think they’ll keep them as they are.

lastbus

I’d doubt it. The E300s that went to Somerset didn’t have their luggage racks removed and they were by that time 6 years old. These buses are 3 so I don’t see them removing them. I think they’ll keep them as they are.
I’m sure they are going there for an airport contract.