• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Do you know when this will be publicly annocunced, would be interesting to see the new depot, been in Larkfield when my late uncle worked there, and Laotian's various open days when I lived in Edinburgh.

Strathclyde Red, and hopefully the transclyde variants of the traditional green and gold liveries too

First Glasgow have shared the event on Facebook through the Glasgow vintage Vehicle trust

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KGGXXXY

First Glasgow have shared the event on Facebook through the Glasgow vintage Vehicle trust
believe it or not I saw the GVVT Facebook post after i posted, had looked at the first bus group and nothing was posted. For those who are not members of that news seems to be quicker on this forum.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
First Glasgow Caledonia depot is having an open day on the 7th of July to celebrate 125 years of buses in Glasgow and are also repainting some buses into some of the original Glasgow liveries
So pretty much what Lothian are doing but in Glasgow

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Is it too much to ask for First Glasgow to get permission from the relevant councils and/or SPT to be allowed to run vintage vehicles for the anniversary? Do First even have a vintage fleet?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I really hope we see a return of the Strathclyde orange I would love to see that on an E400MMC

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wash your mouth out, Strathclyde Red thank you very much...

*Clydeside Yellow and Arriva Blue :lol::lol::lol:

Is it too much to ask for First Glasgow to get permission from the relevant councils and/or SPT to be allowed to run vintage vehicles for the anniversary? Do First even have a vintage fleet?

In theory First don't need to get permission provided the vehicles are not on a tendered run and/or they're not used for more than 21 days per year at the same operator.

There is First Group Heritage Trust based up in Aberdeen, however the majority of the vehicles are Aberdeen vehicles or vehicles going through restoration. If First Glasgow were to do a vintage running day they'd probably get the likes of G.V.V.T to help out.

To be fair, I've rarely heard of First Glasgow opening their doors to the public.

I think the last one was when Caledonia opened(?). The only reason i said it was a unfair comparison is that the poster was trying to insinuate that First were somehow copying Lothian by having an open day on a anniversary. As i say it's common practice with many operators. Even Aberdeen held one in 2013 for 115 years, it's a shame they didn't do it annually as the turn out at the 2013 open day was very high.

KGGXXXY

according to GVVT facebook post
"Good morning from Bridgeton Bus Garage,

During this summer, the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust will be working with First Glasgow, Riverside Museum and Glasgow Museums to celebrate the last 125 years of our transport heritage in Glasgow.

On 30th June, our West End Festival free vintage bus service and vehicle display at Riverside Museum will have a Glasgow theme. The Riverside Museum will also have a number special activities covering our tram, trolleybus and subway heritage.

On 7th July, both Bridgeton Bus Garage and First Glasgow's Caledonia Depot will be open with a special bus service linking the venues with the city centre.

Please check the GVVT Facebook page (Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust) for more information on each of these events."

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
*Clydeside Yellow and Arriva Blue :lol::lol::lol:

In theory First don't need to get permission provided the vehicles are not on a tendered run and/or they're not used for more than 21 days per year at the same operator.

Was always a Strathclyde loyal...

The reason that I said if they were to get permission is for them to be put on tendered routes. Would be a throwback to my childhood to get on a Strathclyde 18 again.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Was always a Strathclyde loyal...

The reason that I said if they were to get permission is for them to be put on tendered routes. Would be a throwback to my childhood to get on a Strathclyde 18 again.

Most of Glasgow's main routes are not tendered, the only reason tendered routes would be an issue is because most of the time the contracts have age limits or emissions limits. Normal commercial services don't have such restrictions.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just a quick observation... the airport buses had a 67 plate. It’s the odd one out for the usual 16 plates. Why did they choose to have 11 airport E200MMCs like why did they order another then replace them with just 10 E400s?

CM

Just a quick observation... the airport buses had a 67 plate. It’s the odd one out for the usual 16 plates. Why did they choose to have 11 airport E200MMCs like why did they order another then replace them with just 10 E400s?

10 Double deckers are going to have more capacity than 11 single deckers. Perhaps they purchased the 67 plate E200 to increase capacity at the time.

KendalKing

Established Member
Is it just me, or, if you squint a bit, you can see a bit of a family resemblance between an E400 City and a late model Glasgow Atlantean? Especially if you look at the upper deck domes etc. Mind you, I thought the Borismaster looked a bit like an Atlantean from certain angles so it probably is just me!

Funny you should say that.

When I first saw the Enviro 400 City, I thought it looked like a Borismaster.

Is it just me, or, if you squint a bit, you can see a bit of a family resemblance between an E400 City and a late model Glasgow Atlantean? Especially if you look at the upper deck domes etc. Mind you, I thought the Borismaster looked a bit like an Atlantean from certain angles so it probably is just me!

My thoughts exactly (and word for word . .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think the last one was when Caledonia opened(?). The only reason i said it was a unfair comparison is that the poster was trying to insinuate that First were somehow copying Lothian by having an open day on a anniversary. As i say it's common practice with many operators. Even Aberdeen held one in 2013 for 115 years, it's a shame they didn't do it annually as the turn out at the 2013 open day was very high.

To be honest, it takes a lot of time to organise an open day plus the impact on operations on the day so you can understand why they don't do it regularly.

Funny you should say that.

When I first saw the Enviro 400 City, I thought it looked like a Borismaster.

The whole idea of the E400city was to resemble the Borismaster but without the price so yes, it does take a lot of its inspiration from there such as the staircase, front dome etc.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if First will order anymore E400City buses or whether they’ll stick to what they know - the E400MMC.

laststop@96

DO the E400 city buses on the airport services have air-conditioning as was behind one on motorway and it never had air conditioning fans at the back.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Not really if it's an E400 based at Caley. There's all sorts appearing on the 64 these days.

I get they’re at the same depot but seems a bit silly to have a low height decker specifically for the 6 on a route as small as the 64. They should have revamped the 64 at the same time they did the 65 don’t see why they split them... That way both could have gotten new branded buses.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I get they’re at the same depot but seems a bit silly to have a low height decker specifically for the 6 on a route as small as the 64. They should have revamped the 64 at the same time they did the 65 don’t see why they split them... That way both could have gotten new branded buses.

The bus intended to be on that duty today may have been defective prior to leaving the depot with that E400 being the only spare vehicle available. At the controllers viewpoint it's better to have a "unsuitable" bus (in terms of capacity) on a route rather than no bus at all.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The two batches of buses before them had air-con and for the cost of a ticket they should have air-con in my opinion.

Most passengers won't notice the difference provided the system fitted in them works and from experience the heating/cooling system ADL currently use is very reliable.

route101

Established Member

I thought that too .

route101

Established Member
believe it or not I saw the GVVT Facebook post after i posted, had looked at the first bus group and nothing was posted. For those who are not members of that news seems to be quicker on this forum.

Well some of us were deleted off that FB group for no apparent reason