• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
As I mentioned above, the B7RLEs from Cymru are swapped for B7TL/Geminis as the Unibus services in Swansea now need deckers. Thought it was supposed to be 10 heading to Wales but AFAIK, only 66718, 66944, 66945, 66953, 66958 confirmed heading the other way?

It’s probably for the best that FIG are trying to get shot of a lot of their B7TLs. They are still good buses and with a little refurbishment they could go a long way. The really irritating thing about the B7TLs is that awful loud fan noise which puts me off them. With LEZ - they’re no use to Glasgow so it’s good to start giving them to cities which really need more up to date deckers and they can oust a lot of the ex-London tridents.

As they’re not planning to convert the B7RLEs that will be a pretty big order to get rid of them which I think will probably happen towards the 2022 deadline probably I’m assuming.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aidan1

First Glasgow have introduced a limited offer £2 all day in north Lanarkshire named “win back Lanarkshire”. Just trying to hit jmb and united even harder now.

route101

Established Member
It’s probably for the best that FIG are trying to get shot of a lot of their B7TLs. They are still good buses and with a little refurbishment they could go a long way. The really irritating thing about the B7TLs is that awful loud fan noise which puts me off them. With LEZ - they’re no use to Glasgow so it’s good to start giving them to cities which really need more up to date deckers and they can oust a lot of the ex-London tridents.

As they’re not planning to convert the B7RLEs that will be a pretty big order to get rid of them which I think will probably happen towards the 2022 deadline probably I’m assuming.

Cant get rid of two many deckers , i think thats why singles are runningon 57 , 60 and 10 .

Would be nice to upgrade the inside of the older geminis , the seats are manky and buses ive been on are stinking .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Cant get rid of two many deckers , i think thats why singles are runningon 57 , 60 and 10 .

Would be nice to upgrade the inside of the older geminis , the seats are manky and buses ive been on are stinking .
Nice but not very cost effective. Spending a chunk of money on refurbishing 2004 vintage vehicles that have 2/3 years left in them? They’d be better spending money on stuff that has a few more years in them - hence the B9s being done.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Nice but not very cost effective. Spending a chunk of money on refurbishing 2004 vintage vehicles that have 2/3 years left in them? They’d be better spending money on stuff that has a few more years in them - hence the B9s being done.

I agree the B7TLs should have been refurbished long ago if they were ever going to be done. Another example of First letting their buses run to ruin unfortunately. I remember a B7TL SF54 OUD being retrimmed not sure if there were more but not sure if this bus is still on the fleet or if it went down south?

New buses are definately the way to go and they’re making really good progress. The refurbished B9TLs are good but it would have been nice to see the 2, 60 and 61 upgraded to new E400MMCs. The east end never really sees much new stock in terms of deckers.

laststop@96

I think the offpeak PVR is 7, peaks it's 9. It's likely that 33106/109 are getting warranty work.
2 months old warranty work they don,t make like they used to so does the pre delivery inspector get the sack for this sending out buses unfit for service.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
2 months old warranty work they don,t make like they used to so does the pre delivery inspector get the sack for this sending out buses unfit for service.

Warranty work is common on all new buses regardless of manufacturer. And no the pre-delivery inspector does not need to get the sack it's nothing to do with build quality.

laststop@96

Warranty work is common on all new buses regardless of manufacturer. And no the pre-delivery inspector does not need to get the sack it's nothing to do with build quality.
what is the work then if nothing to do with build quality they all have stickers in drivers side window saying bus has been checked with big green tick.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
what is the work then if nothing to do with build quality they all have stickers in drivers side window saying bus has been checked with big green tick.

Well i don't know in this particular instance, it could be literally anything. I'm just saying that it's not down to build quality, is common on all buses and always has been! People seem to have this notion that when previous bus types entered service there wasn't teething problems, but it's simply not true.

laststop@96

Well i don't know in this particular instance, it could be literally anything. I'm just saying that it's not down to build quality, is common on all buses and always has been! People seem to have this notion that when previous bus types entered service there wasn't teething problems, but it's simply not true.
Who built the bus adl so its there problem if you bought a car and had problems after 2 months you would not be happy.

CM

Who said the buses are unfit for service? Warranty work can be anything from a replacment engine to replacing a headlight unit or even a defect with the paintwork. Warranty work doesn't automatically mean the bus is a death trap and going to fly apart at the first pothole!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Who built the bus adl so its there problem if you bought a car and had problems after 2 months you would not be happy.

Flawed logic there! A bus and car are totally different things. As Colin M says warranty work can be anything. The simple fact is that in a large scale production minor defects easily escape through the radar. This not only affects the bus industry.

Who said the buses are unfit for service? Warranty work can be anything from a replacment engine to replacing a headlight unit or even a defect with the paintwork. Warranty work doesn't automatically mean the bus is a death trap and going to fly apart at the first pothole!

It's pretty common if a new bus gets minor accident damage (Say a skirt panel is ripped off) that the manufacturer will repair it under warrenty. Most warranty issues on buses tend to be electrical (faulty bell, inaccurate speedometer, faulty wheelchair ramp sensor, broken door interlock). Nothing major, and certainly nothing life threatening.

laststop@96

Engine,headlight,paintwork if thats the problem ADL fault bus is under warranty i don,t have problem with ADL it could be panel damage or a hundred other things why there of the road but first glasgow has e400mmc from ADL on loan so some must be ADL problems.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Engine,headlight,paintwork if thats the problem ADL fault bus is under warranty i don,t have problem with ADL it could be panel damage or a hundred other things why there of the road but first glasgow has e400mmc from ADL on loan so some must be ADL problems.

I hate to be a snob, but if it's a defect that requires significant engine work (Which i believe is the case with one of the E400MMCs) then that's a "fault" with Cummins rather than ADL, however as i say it's not a fault with either. These things happen, they always have and always will.

laststop@96

Flawed logic there! A bus and car are totally different things. As Colin M says warranty work can be anything. The simple fact is that in a large scale production minor defects easily escape through the radar. This not only affects the bus industry.

It's pretty common if a new bus gets minor accident damage (Say a skirt panel is ripped off) that the manufacturer will repair it under warrenty. Most warranty issues on buses tend to be electrical (faulty bell, inaccurate speedometer, faulty wheelchair ramp sensor, broken door interlock). Nothing major, and certainly nothing life threatening.
Why would first phone ADL to repair a panel when they have a team in depot who could do it in a couple of hours my point is not first glasgow but a small operator who buys 2 buses and they fail after 2 months what does he do. He does not have spare buses.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Why would first phone ADL to repair a panel when they have a team in depot who could do it in a couple of hours my point is not first glasgow but a small operator who buys 2 buses and they fail after 2 months what does he do. He does not have spare buses.

Well if an operator requires 2 vehicles to cover their work and only has 2 vehicles in their fleet than that's their own fault.

laststop@96

I hate to be a snob, but if it's a defect that requires significant engine work (Which i believe is the case with one of the E400MMCs) then that's a "fault" with Cummins rather than ADL, however as i say it's not a fault with either. These things happen, they always have and always will.
Ok so bus does not turn up to take you to work its ok nobody,s fault thats not the way it works someone is always to blame.

alangla

The east end never really sees much new stock in terms of deckers.
To be fair, Alexandra Parade is a procession of nothing but new deckers these days, I agree that the Gallowgate & Duke Street corridors are totally bereft though. I think the last new DDs down the Gallowgate were probably the Royale Olympians in 1997

CM

Ok so bus does not turn up to take you to work its ok nobody,s fault thats not the way it works someone is always to blame.

If an operator has a route with a PVR of 2 buses, and only owns 2 buses and one breaks down then it's the operators fault for not making sure they have another vehicle to cover. This is why companies usually always have spare buses parked in the depot to cover for breakdowns etc etc. It's not exactly hard to understand.....

laststop@96

If an operator has a route with a PVR of 2 buses, and only owns 2 buses and one breaks down then it's the operators fault for not making sure they have another vehicle to cover. This is why companies usually always have spare buses parked in the depot to cover for breakdowns etc etc. It's not exactly hard to understand.....
So they buy new buses thinking they will be reliable and it breaks down so should they buy 2 for service and 2 spare?

CM

So they buy new buses thinking they will be reliable and it breaks down so should they buy 2 for service and 2 spare?

Things break down, it's a fact of life, nothing is 100% reliable, get used to it. First Glasgow bought 10 Enviro 400s for the Airport service which needs 9 buses, obviously so that if one does break down, they'll have a simmilarly suitable bus to cover for it. It's most likley also why they bought unbranded Enviro 400s which can go onto any service to cover for breakdowns. It really is not hard to understand.

laststop@96

Things break down, it's a fact of life, nothing is 100% reliable, get used to it. First Glasgow bought 10 Enviro 400s for the Airport service which needs 9 buses, obviously so that if one does break down, they'll have a simmilarly suitable bus to cover for it. It's most likley also why they bought unbranded Enviro 400s which can go onto any service to cover for breakdowns. It really is not hard to understand.
Buy 10 year old bus breaks down fair enough 2 month old bus not good here what ADL say click on reliability .16 hours a day for 15 years :lol:
https://www.alexander-dennis.com/about-us/our-culture/

CM

Buy 10 year old bus breaks down fair enough 2 month old bus not good here what ADL say click on reliability .16 hours a day for 15 years :lol:
https://www.alexander-dennis.com/about-us/our-culture/

Sigh. You clearly don't understand do you? A bus can leave the depot at 4am and not get back to the depot until 10-11pm. If a bus is doing those kinds of hours every day then it's only realistic that something will eventually break. They can have teething problems. Look as Scotrail's new class 380s, brand new trains yet they have had faults from day one.

Why don't you actually try reading what people tell you properly, then you might actually understand what we are saying....

laststop@96

Sigh. You clearly don't understand do you? A bus can leave the depot at 4am and not get back to the depot until 10-11pm. If a bus is doing those kinds of hours every day then it's only realistic that something will eventually break. They can have teething problems. Look as Scotrail's new class 380s, brand new trains yet they have had faults from day one.

Why don't you actually try reading what people tell you properly, then you might actually understand what we are saying....
Because you don,t listen a bus should not have a fault within 2 months of leaving the factory as far as the trains go u talking about the 380,s or 385,s as the 385,s all had to have windscreens replaced due to drivers seeing double signals through them. So if you bought a car and it broke down after 2 months you would say these things happen don,t think so.

route101

Established Member
How many runs do caley get on the 18 ?I seen two branded e400mmcs for 38 on it .

route101

Established Member

Seen a WLT plated one on the 4 .

Jumped on a 4a at Viccy Road around 12pm (town bound) and it was busy , couldnt understand that when there as 7 , 5 and a 6 that come before it .

CM

Because you don,t listen a bus should not have a fault within 2 months of leaving the factory as far as the trains go u talking about the 380,s or 385,s as the 385,s all had to have windscreens replaced due to drivers seeing double signals through them. So if you bought a car and it broke down after 2 months you would say these things happen don,t think so.

You're the one that isn't listening......

It's a a way of life, sometimes things can develop faults, even when brand new!

The BRAND NEW class 385s had to be fitted with new windscreens because fo signal sighting issues and they have also had other issues including faulty brakes and doors. This shouldn't have happend BUT it DID.

BRAND NEW
things SHOULD NOT break but SOMETIMES they DO........it........is......not......hard.....to......understand.

laststop@96

You're the one that isn't listening......

It's a a way of life, sometimes things can develop faults, even when brand new!

The BRAND NEW class 385s had to be fitted with new windscreens because fo signal sighting issues and they have also had other issues including faulty brakes and doors. This shouldn't have happend BUT it DID.

BRAND NEW
things SHOULD NOT break but SOMETIMES they DO........it........is......not......hard.....to......understand.
But the enviro city is not a new bus has been about for a few years has it not. am sure you could google it and find out its been about 4 years plus.And all i asked at the start was when you buy 10 buses and 2 are unfit after 2 month someone has to be at fault.