• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Strathclyder

Established Member
Just 3 y reg ? I thought there was more ,get one on the 31 last few days. The y reg ones were all at Blantyre but few now at Caley.
Nope, just those three that remain; the others having gradually been withdrawn over the last year or so. They are usually found on the 19/19A & the 31; they were replaced at Blantyre by 51-reg examples.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Nope, just those three that remain; the others having gradually been withdrawn over the last year or so. They are usually found on the 19/19A & the 31; they were replaced at Blantyre by 51-reg examples.
Interesting didnt realise , 3 were on the 31 yesterday!

JonnyB1984

Here is what I know that is happening,

UW1/UW2 (New University Service)
The new uni services that are starting in September, will receive the B9TLs that are being refurbished and will be UWS route branded. These buses will be transferred over to Blantyre.

Route branding starting soon/already started

Slightly reduced service (poss 10mins or less)(After Summer)

In terms of buses,

B10BLE
The B10BLE's will not be completely withdrawn until at least August.

Caetano Darts (From Kernow)
20 Caetano Dart's due to start arriving soon but no confirmation when it will be yet.

Service 242
Dart's to run service 242 with the B10BLE's moving over to the 266 as streetsh*tes are being transferred from Overtown but not sure where they are going yet.

New Deckers
25 new deckers due by the end of July to enter service in August. No routes have been mentioned for them but again "Rumour" express services are getting these new vehicles with the 65plates moving onto other routes. Personally, I don't see that happening as they were all branded not too long ago but you never know with First Glasgow.

That's my 2cent on what I know at the minute.

TBH not much happening with Overtown/Blantyre in terms of new buses apart from the Caetano darts arriving which OV will receive a few and the refurbed B9s moving to Blantyre.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
This part of Lanarkshire seems to be doing alot better than Monklands area. Its will not stop here, Ravencraig is still on the books,

https://www.uws.ac.uk/news/new-uws-campus-boosts-lanarkshire-transport-links/

University of the West of Scotland (UWS), which is set to open the doors of its new Lanarkshire campus in September, has today announced transport routes which will significantly improve connectivity between the campus and the rest of the region.

Transport operator First Bus is to launch two new bus services to Hamilton International Technology Park, where the new campus is situated.

Service UW1 will operate up to every 10 minutes between Hamilton Bus Station, Hamilton West and UWS Lanarkshire campus providing a frequent link with most other bus and rail services in the area.

Service UW2 will provide a direct service between East Kilbride Bus Station and the new campus.

Both services will be operated by UWS branded double decker buses with additional features including leather seats with built in USB ports and free wi-fi. A fantastic range of money saving fares will also be available.

uws-lanarkshire-campus-mfg-001.jpg

Routes will be fully operational from 3rd September when the full student cohort arrives. The UWS Lanarkshire campus will have a student population of 4,000 and 300 staff, with significant numbers expected to regularly use the service. This initiative will also significantly improve links for anyone working at the Technology Park, which is home to HSBC, Babcock and John Lewis premises.

These new services represent a £1 million investment by First Bus and comes after detailed discussions with UWS facilitated by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport

“It was important for us to achieve a public transport solution which was efficient, regular and environmentally friendly for our students and staff. These new services will play a significant role in achieving this goal by giving those working and studying at the business park, an alternative to travelling by car.”UWS Principal Prof Craig Mahoney
Professor Craig Mahoney, Principal and Vice-Chancellor at UWS, said: “In addition to being able to travel to the campus in style, the onboard wi-fi and charging ports gives students and staff the ability to browse the internet on the go. We see First’s investment in the new routes with modern and environmentally friendly buses as an extension of what we’re aiming to achieve with our Lanarkshire campus. We’re sure the service will provide a significant number of benefits for to both UWS, and the wider Lanarkshire region.”

Duncan Cameron, Operations Director for First Glasgow, said: “First Glasgow is delighted to be working in partnership with the University West of Scotland in providing an environmentally friendly transport solution for all their students and staff in one of the communities that we serve.

“First Glasgow operates high frequency bus services across Greater Glasgow and Lanarkshire. First Glasgow is putting in a significant amount of investment into this partnership to ensure bus is the attractive mode of transport for students travelling to the new UWS site.”

route101

Established Member
Here is what I know that is happening,

UW1/UW2 (New University Service)
The new uni services that are starting in September, will receive the B9TLs that are being refurbished and will be UWS route branded. These buses will be transferred over to Blantyre.

Slightly reduced service (poss 10mins or less)

In terms of buses,

B10BLE
The B10BLE's will not be completely withdrawn until at least August.

Caetano Darts (From Kernow)
20 Caetano Dart's due to start arriving soon but no confirmation when it will be yet.

Service 242
Dart's to run service 242 with the B10BLE's moving over to the 266 as streetsh*tes are being transferred from Overtown but not sure where they are going yet.

New Deckers
25 new deckers due by the end of July to enter service in August. No routes have been mentioned for them but again "Rumour" express services are getting these new vehicles with the 65plates moving onto other routes. Personally, I don't see that happening as they were all branded not too long ago but you never know with First Glasgow.

That's my 2cent on what I know at the minute.

TBH not much happening with Overtown/Blantyre in terms of new buses apart from the Caetano darts arriving which OV will receive a few and the refurbed B9s moving to Blantyre.

201 used to get that to Hamilton , frequent enough during the day but evening service is dire. Are buses shared between Overtown and Blantyre?

JonnyB1984

201 used to get that to Hamilton , frequent enough during the day but evening service is dire. Are buses shared between Overtown and Blantyre?
Nah no buses shared but sometimes loaned to each other if stuck. 201 is Blantyre's run. 240 though uses both Blantyre/Overtown buses as Overtown no space to store all the buses.

Midge33

I heard B9TL's were being refurbed such as 37195, and being put on the 61 route. Who knows what will happen, b7l's need to go they are dire.

smtglasgow

Didn’t realise UWS were moving up to Blantyre so soon. Hopefully First will think about diverting the 263 through the technology park – had a friend who worked for HSBC who ended up buying a car to get to work up there.

While First Glasgow are getting involved with student services, they might want to think about why so few Glasgow Uni students use the bus. When I was an undergrad in the early noughties the old 44 was rammed every morning and evening. Now I’m back working there, the numbers on the 4 have gone down markedly despite the student population growing by about a third – and they don’t all live in the west end despite what the locals think.

overthewater

Established Member
Im surprised Stagecoach never tried a magicbus route along the old 4, would have made First buck up its ideas. And once again no surprised people having to buy a car just to get to work.

JonnyB1984

I heard B9TL's were being refurbed such as 37195, and being put on the 61 route. Who knows what will happen, b7l's need to go they are dire.
They will most likely will as far as I am aware, all if not most of the 07 plate B9s are getting refurbished. Not all will receive the USB charge ports though.

Didn’t realise UWS were moving up to Blantyre so soon. Hopefully First will think about diverting the 263 through the technology park – had a friend who worked for HSBC who ended up buying a car to get to work up there.

While First Glasgow are getting involved with student services, they might want to think about why so few Glasgow Uni students use the bus. When I was an undergrad in the early noughties the old 44 was rammed every morning and evening. Now I’m back working there, the numbers on the 4 have gone down markedly despite the student population growing by about a third – and they don’t all live in the west end despite what the locals think.
Starts in September so still a few months away yet :).

Doubt the 263 would re-route, more chance of the 201 serving it if time allows.

route101

Established Member
They will most likely will as far as I am aware, all if not most of the 07 plate B9s are getting refurbished. Not all will receive the USB charge ports though.

Starts in September so still a few months away yet :).

Doubt the 263 would re-route, more chance of the 201 serving it if time allows.
201 goes near EK bound at the mo.

route101

Established Member
Im surprised Stagecoach never tried a magicbus route along the old 4, would have made First buck up its ideas. And once again no surprised people having to buy a car just to get to work.

Always thought the 4 or 44 as it was to provide a link for Glasgow Uni students who stay in Clarkston , Newton Mearns etc .Some people get the subway to Hillhead.

smtglasgow

I was thinking of the 263 more for a link to Cambuslang, Rutherglen and Glasgow - a lot of current UWS students travel from there by rail at the moment. A direct bus would save doubling back via Hamilton

route101

Established Member
Yeah, normally around March/April time but I can't seem to recall seeing this service last year.

Thought that , sure used to run in the easter holidays . Who is running it Blantyre or Caley?

Anyone know if caley still do peak workings on the 18 or 21?

JonnyB1984

37203 due to return by end of this week/next week. 4 of these refurbed B9s are to receive private reg plates like 37195 and will be used on the UWS contract which starts in September. The 4 will also be receiving UWS livery.

Yes, more B9s will be refurbished but they won't receive the USB ports in the seats.

smtglasgow

SPT contracts always seem very fluid – would be interesting to know if the change in operator is SPT’s doing or if McGills have given it up?

overthewater

Established Member
McGill's have on there website they are no longer operating them and spt website have said they are now being operated by first from July

As I said Mcgill won them already: Im asking what has happened.

SPT contracts always seem very fluid – would be interesting to know if the change in operator is SPT’s doing or if McGills have given it up?

Looks like it: http://www.spt.co.uk/documents/latest/Agenda item 12.pdf

* 4980H 14 Rutherglen - Fernhill McGill's Bus Service Ltd (7 yr option) operator operator 7 £172,655.00

* LS005M 59 Mosspark - Glasgow McGill's Bus Service Ltd operator operator 7 £208,124.00

* W121A2 49 Southpark Village - Silverburn - Govan McGill's Bus Service Ltd operator operator 7 £241,072.22

i think its spt not the operators as mcgills have kept on to the 103 even tough spt previously gave the contract to mccolls

overthewater

Established Member
It seems more service changes:

• PM0000001/34 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Faifley Turning Circle, or Airdrie to Baillieston, Caledonia Road
    Service number: 2
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 29 Jul 2018

• PM0000001/2 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Govan Helen Street to Drumchapel Station via Saracen Cross, Renfrew Street, Untion Street, Eglinton Roll, Shawlands Cross, Riverford Road, Pollok Centre, Linthaugh Road, Leverndale Hospital, Cardonald
    Service number: 3
  • PM0000001/14 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Partick Bus Station to Southern General Hospital or Braehead Shopping Centre
    Service number: 90

• PM0000001/542 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Drumchapel Road to Arrival Square, Q E U Hospital via Anniesland, Partick
    Service number: 16
    Effective date: 29 Jul 201
PM0000001/9 Registered
FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
Route: Partick Bus Station to Parkhead, Helenvale Street
Service number: 8 (8A)
Service type: Circular, Normal Stopping

38A-Z

I see the 25 new Enviro 400 MMCs are listed in the latest FB handbook, 33201-33225. The book states all will be allocated to Caledonia Depot.