• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

AlexanderPS

First used to use low height Olympian on the 240 and Coakley used to use ex Lothian full height ones. Think low bridge affects the 201 too

The 201 has had B7TL/Wright's and Trident/Presidents on it in the past. Coakley also used the ex Lothian Olympians and ex London MCW Metrobuses on their 201.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
The 201 has had B7TL/Wright's and Trident/Presidents on it in the past. Coakley also used the ex Lothian Olympians and ex London MCW Metrobuses on their 201.
Yeah , some of the deckers on the 201 were short workings like Hamilton to EK and other time was a diversion which allowed deckers to be used

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Id agree with B7RLE and B9TLs as well for being good buses!
Oddly enough the brand that doesnt get enough recognition is optare who seem to put a pretty good bus tegether as modern buses go!

That’s all fine opinion but what is likely to happen? Can’t see past ADLs IMHO

Also, you only have to see how Volvo’s UK orders are to see how they stack up financially. They’re heavy on fuel being a heavyweight chassis. I agree that the earlier Enviros are flimsy but the MMCs are much improved.

Gingerbus1991

That’s all fine opinion but what is likely to happen? Can’t see past ADLs IMHO

Also, you only have to see how Volvo’s UK orders are to see how they stack up financially. They’re heavy on fuel being a heavyweight chassis. I agree that the earlier Enviros are flimsy but the MMCs are much improved.
Of course, penny pinching has First written all over it, not customer comfort, the 200 mmc’s at most are 4 yrs old? Id like to drive one at 15yrs old to find out how sturdy they are, considering that a euro6 B8RLE has got to be better on fuel than a B10BLE euro2 itd be a worth purchase

Last edited:

goldisgood

Of course, penny pinching has First written all over it, not customer comfort, the 200 mmc’s at most are 4 yrs old? Id like to drive one at 15yrs old to find out how sturdy they are, considering that a euro6 B8RLE has got to be better on fuel than a B10BLE euro2 itd be a worth purchase
Yet an Enviro 200 MMC would be even better on fuel than a euro6 B8RLE... whilst it wouldn't be perhaps as good a ride quality, it helps for fleet standardisation and is cheap on fuel. At least they aren't Streetlites, Wright? :D

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Not just First. Not many B8RLEs have been bought by anyone!

As for buses not lasting, I remember the same being said about Leyland Nationals and the original Dennis Darts, let alone Ford Transits!!!!

Gingerbus1991

Not just First. Not many B8RLEs have been bought by anyone!

As for buses not lasting, I remember the same being said about Leyland Nationals and the original Dennis Darts, let alone Ford Transits!!!!
Again driven for stagecoachs dunfermline depot when they got 26001-26019 for the 19’s even inside there warranty they were producing problems, I recall one of them having clunking front suspension arm or similar underneath only a few months into service, there certainly not like what the darts used to be like

JonnyB1984

240 - Low Bridge at Bellshill Morrisons which low height deckers would fit under but only just so isn't worth the risk for FIG.

201 - Low Bridge in Airdrie I believe which is the reason the 2 (Airdrie Bound) doesn't get deckers either.

In terms of ADL buses - The E300s are the best buses in the fleet easily and still go like the clappers.

AlexanderPS

240 - Low Bridge at Bellshill Morrisons which low height deckers would fit under but only just so isn't worth the risk for FIG.

201 - Low Bridge in Airdrie I believe which is the reason the 2 (Airdrie Bound) doesn't get deckers either.

The low bridge for the 2 is in Coatbridge, Woodside Street at Kirkwood Train Station.

goldisgood

240 - Low Bridge at Bellshill Morrisons which low height deckers would fit under but only just so isn't worth the risk for FIG..
The bridge is 4.3m, low height Enviro 400 MMC is 4.2m. It fits. Like I said, low-ish but a low height decker can do it. If they misallocated the deckers just put a single on. If they really need deckers on it then this won't matter.

Gingerbus1991

The low bridge for the 2 is in Coatbridge, Woodside Street at Kirkwood Train Station.
Bringing me back to saying Volvo B8RLE 13.2m vehicles would be better as renewels for the 200 MMCs usually used on the 240, if traveling all the way from Motherwell to Glasgow it would typically make sense, I reckon a 13.2 variant could squeeze alittle more full seats on board, the 200 mmc’s rear more seats are terrible, may as well ask everyone to take a seat on the floor!

Gingerbus1991

The bridge is 4.3m, low height Enviro 400 MMC is 4.2m. It fits. Like I said, low-ish but a low height decker can do it. If they misallocated the deckers just put a single on. If they really need deckers on it then this won't matter.
Id rather stay clear of deckers in that case, all it takes would be a suspension leveling fault and it could scrape!

route101

Established Member

In terms of ADL buses - The E300s are the best buses in the fleet easily and still go like the clappers.

I take it Blantyre would not have enough deckers for 201 when needed on the 18/21.

83G/84D

Established Member
Two Darts left Camborne late this morning with trade plates displayed, presumably making the long journey north. They were 43874 & 43871.

JonnyB1984

They have been photoed at Caledonia.
Where were the pics posted ? Never spotted the darts at 5am this morning when I was in depot but was in a rush tbh. They aren't for us at caley. they will be in for work/paint before transferring to other depot which will be Overtown I believe to get a few.

Last edited:

smtglasgow

Are there not still some Marshall darts running around Clydebank on the M60 and 81? Might be a good home for them. Although they’re so tiny they’ll be swamped at school chucking out time.

JonnyB1984

I think Scotstoun still has 3/4 marshall darts still and Overtown has 2 in service.

These will help get them retired.

Stef434

What routes are going on ?
Overtown will be getting a few to replace the B10s on the 241 the remaining 2 Marshalls will be going,the 242 will be getting new Enviros as Maxim arent too chuffed with the B10s more Streetlights for the 266 also
The Cart Darts were photo'd at Bolton for a pit stop and are at Caley MRU

Volvodart

Established Member
If Glasgow are mainly getting new single deckers, there should be plenty of more suitable cascades from the existing fleet to replace the full size single deckers (unless they carry a lot of fresh air at present). The Darts have a very small seating capacity.

smtglasgow

Has there been any confirmation (or well-sourced rumours) to say that *anything* beyond the 25 MMCs are on the way? If money is as tight as we think it is, then single deckers make sense – more bang for your buck. But something needs to come – even some decent cascades. Was in Shawlands yesterday and the absolute state of the buses on the 38 was something else. I got a B7L back into town crush loaded with schoolkids and it stank like a Sauchiehall St back alley on a Friday night (the bus, not the children!). Not good.

Volvodart

Established Member
The 38 was supposed to be getting the 75 deckers when the new ones arrive.

route101

Established Member
Has there been any confirmation (or well-sourced rumours) to say that *anything* beyond the 25 MMCs are on the way? If money is as tight as we think it is, then single deckers make sense – more bang for your buck. But something needs to come – even some decent cascades. Was in Shawlands yesterday and the absolute state of the buses on the 38 was something else. I got a B7L back into town crush loaded with schoolkids and it stank like a Sauchiehall St back alley on a Friday night (the bus, not the children!). Not good.

Nothing worse than a full B7L , Loud and bumpy . Some of the older geminis need new seat covers , manky . I thought it was E400MMCs coming , We have enough singles .

JonnyB1984

Overtown will be getting a few to replace the B10s on the 241 the remaining 2 Marshalls will be going,the 242 will be getting new Enviros as Maxim arent too chuffed with the B10s more Streetlights for the 266 also
The Cart Darts were photo'd at Bolton for a pit stop and are at Caley MRU
Not sure where you are getting your info from but the 242 defo isn't getting *NEW* enviros at all. These also won't be replacing the B10s exactly due to capacity issues. They will help get a few retired only. Streetlights are a rumour which started from Flickr I believe ;)

JonnyB1984

More buses are coming but nothing confirmed on what they are or if they are new etc. Only 25 deckers have been confirmed only that is it.