• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Realistic_Spy

I wasn't expecting the 241 to get new buses, but i think new buses for the 241 sounds great. the new 34/34a stock should be delivered in December as a rumor from a member of my family who works for FiG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I noticed on the First Glasgow Facebook page someone asked about new buses in the Dumbarton area and they replied there was new developments coming in 2019. I wonder whether the one will be getting upgraded. I think it’s an extremely busy route and new buses would be great on it as the current stock is now 6 years old. It would also allow the E300s to be sent to other routes needing upgraded especially with LEZ coming in to play.

Always wondered why there is not a night service on the 1 ?

Thought the E300s are still new to be replaced ha

route101

Established Member
These services used to interwork but from what I’ve heard they will not anymore

Yeah bus came in as a 65 and left as a 64 .
64 is only bus to go right at Osborne Street and go up Stockwell St .

JonnyB1984

The caetano darts should have been replaced by now, never seen a more hideous bus in all my life!
These buses will be with us for the next few years now as Glasgow required these vehicles to replace the marshall darts. These won't be replaced anytime soon.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
These buses will be with us for the next few years now as Glasgow required these vehicles to replace the marshall darts. These won't be replaced anytime soon.
And has been pointed out many times, despite being 2002 vehicles, they spent the first 10 years of their lives in Jersey where they were lightly used (in comparison to the UK) and were in superb condition when purchased by First.

smtglasgow

These Kernow darts are definitely in good condition, but they’re already escaping onto completely unsuitable routes. Had one on a peak 255 the other night (no doubt subbing for a breakdown) and the bus was full and standing by the third stop – leaving probably the same number behind at subsequent stops. Not good on a 30 min frequency. Also, what is going on with that rear-facing seat at the back – very odd.

route101

Established Member
These Kernow darts are definitely in good condition, but they’re already escaping onto completely unsuitable routes. Had one on a peak 255 the other night (no doubt subbing for a breakdown) and the bus was full and standing by the third stop – leaving probably the same number behind at subsequent stops. Not good on a 30 min frequency. Also, what is going on with that rear-facing seat at the back – very odd.

Need to check out that rear facing seat . Though with so few darts hard to get one

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Seen one of the new E400s for the 75 this afternoon and noticed that First haven't gone for the full size Hanover on the rear. With all the advertising and logo's on the back it's actually quite hard to see the small square with just the route number on it.

Gingerbus1991

What are heavy duty buses ?
Scania N250UD or Volvo B8RLE chassis for example, buses like the Enviro 300 and 200 MMC 11.8m were conceptulised to be light weight for improved fuel economy whilst stillbeing able to carry a decent load.

You notice that Eclipes single deckers have bigger wheel than there Enviro 300 counter-parts

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Scania N250UD or Volvo B8RLE chassis for example, buses like the Enviro 300 and 200 MMC 11.8m were conceptulised to be light weight for improved fuel economy whilst stillbeing able to carry a decent load.

You notice that Eclipes single deckers have bigger wheel than there Enviro 300 counter-parts

Although the MANviro's also come with the larger wheels.

Gingerbus1991

Although the MANviro's also come with the larger wheels.
As far as I’m aware a single-deck MAN chassis isnt available underneath any of ADL bus atm, as far as Scanias website shows, the Enviro 300 body is still whats used on top of there N250UD chassis, but I highly suspect Lothian have ordered B8RLE singles with a 200/400MMC body variant to replace alot of there euro3/4 eclipes so its can be done.

I do really think the Eclipse B7RLE’s glasgow have will still out last the enviros!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I do really think the Eclipse B7RLE’s glasgow have will still out last the enviros!

This.

I’ve said it before but bus quality has gone down hill in recent years. Look at the Volvo PS buses and the Scanias Glasgow had. Even the B10BLEs are in great condition - the only reason they’re being replaced is because they are Euro 2 but they are great buses.

I get the whole environmental factor with the Enviros BUT it’s no great secret how flimsy these buses are. The E300s don’t even have double glazing and I can’t comment on the E200s as I haven’t travelled on one. However I just don’t understand the whole smaller wheels thing. Surely heavy main street routes with high capacity need solid buses with bigger wheels and a more sturdy build. The bigger wheeled E300s look good.

I have to 100% agree the B7RLEs are tired inside but the engines and build of them are still cracking buses for being about 13 years old. Not sure I’d like to see the ADL stock in 13 years time....

route101

Established Member
The Geminis feel solid , i think they will last . The older 54 and some 07 plates feel heavy compared to the newer ones . Just need some TLC inside .

The B7RLES dont feel as sharp as they used to , and need TLC .

route101

Established Member

Yeah i have noticed .

One thing ive noticed is the E300 s seem to short shifts up ,the gearing .

Prefer the E200MMCS though not a fan of singles on the 2 .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
This.

I’ve said it before but bus quality has gone down hill in recent years. Look at the Volvo PS buses and the Scanias Glasgow had. Even the B10BLEs are in great condition - the only reason they’re being replaced is because they are Euro 2 but they are great buses.

I get the whole environmental factor with the Enviros BUT it’s no great secret how flimsy these buses are. The E300s don’t even have double glazing and I can’t comment on the E200s as I haven’t travelled on one. However I just don’t understand the whole smaller wheels thing. Surely heavy main street routes with high capacity need solid buses with bigger wheels and a more sturdy build. The bigger wheeled E300s look good.

I have to 100% agree the B7RLEs are tired inside but the engines and build of them are still cracking buses for being about 13 years old. Not sure I’d like to see the ADL stock in 13 years time....

The environmental factor is one but then you just have to do the maths. B7RLEs have relatively poor fuel consumption so if you're using 250 litres of fuel a day rather than 300.... well, you can work it out. Put that against any increased maintenance (remembering that a Wright Streetlite, for instance, is under warranty for major units for the first 4 years) and over the life of the vehicle, you can understand why operators aren't rushing out to buy the B8RLE.

Gingerbus1991

The Geminis feel solid , i think they will last . The older 54 and some 07 plates feel heavy compared to the newer ones . Just need some TLC inside .

The B7RLES dont feel as sharp as they used to , and need TLC .
If the B7RLE’s had a major overhall inside, out and underneath including changing out there sqeaky brakes and lower-speed jerky Ecomat gearbox, im sure they could be operated until there 20 years old!

The older 54 B7TLs are really comfortable and still feel robust etc, may not be the best on fuel or emissions, but even Transdev in England had there B7TL fitted with new electric fans from Avid which made them better on fuel and more importantly done away with the roaring engine fans, even though bus geeks like the fan-roar.
Yeah i have noticed .

One thing ive noticed is the E300 s seem to short shifts up ,the gearing .

Prefer the E200MMCS though not a fan of singles on the 2 .
the early upshifts, as you say, is a fuel saving tactic.
The environmental factor is one but then you just have to do the maths. B7RLEs have relatively poor fuel consumption so if you're using 250 litres of fuel a day rather than 300.... well, you can work it out. Put that against any increased maintenance (remembering that a Wright Streetlite, for instance, is under warranty for major units for the first 4 years) and over the life of the vehicle, you can understand why operators aren't rushing out to buy the B8RLE.
Generally speaking a modern B8 single will still outperform an older euro3 B7 single on fuel economy and emissions, as mentioned above, Avid can provide electrification on many older, unefficient components of older buses to modern ones, the whole idea is that more electrically efficient parts will reduce the load on the alternator and by extension the engine as well, the hydraulic engine fans run directly from a belt of the engine which again, is a physical load on the engine.

Streetlites are some of the absolute worst of modern buses, instead of streetlites operaters should buy Optare Solo’s and Metrocity’s, afterall Optare use the same mercedes OM934 engine as wrights use, yet optares tend to be rather good buses these days and get much less sales these days than wrights get.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
"Connection is not private.

Website may be impersonating "www.firstgroup.com" to steal your personal or financial information. You should go back to the previous page."

When clicking on the above link, and also manually entering the website address, I get the above message.

Browser is Safari 11.1.2
Think it's something ISP related rather than First Group - must be something in your security settings though I am perplexed to know what :)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If the B7RLE’s had a major overhall inside, out and underneath including changing out there sqeaky brakes and lower-speed jerky Ecomat gearbox, im sure they could be operated until there 20 years old!

The older 54 B7TLs are really comfortable and still feel robust etc, may not be the best on fuel or emissions, but even Transdev in England had there B7TL fitted with new electric fans from Avid which made them better on fuel and more importantly done away with the roaring engine fans, even though bus geeks like the fan-roar.

the early upshifts, as you say, is a fuel saving tactic.

Generally speaking a modern B8 single will still outperform an older euro3 B7 single on fuel economy and emissions, as mentioned above, Avid can provide electrification on many older, unefficient components of older buses to modern ones, the whole idea is that more electrically efficient parts will reduce the load on the alternator and by extension the engine as well, the hydraulic engine fans run directly from a belt of the engine which again, is a physical load on the engine.

Streetlites are some of the absolute worst of modern buses, instead of streetlites operaters should buy Optare Solo’s and Metrocity’s, afterall Optare use the same mercedes OM934 engine as wrights use, yet optares tend to be rather good buses these days and get much less sales these days than wrights get.

A B8 may be better than a B7 but it won't touch a Streetlite, Metrocity or ADL e200mmc. That is the reality of it and explains why so very, very few B8RLEs have been sold in the UK. In addition, as First have found out, when Volvo vehicles head out of warranty, the cost of parts etc is exorbitant. Yes, a B7RLE maybe more robust than a similar aged e300 and need fewer replacement parts but when they do go wrong, they are very expensive to repair.