• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonnyB1984

10.8m for the 241? Here was me thinking the Enviro 300's I see on the route take rather busy loads at peak
Overtown doesn't have any E300s so I am guessing you have probably seen them on a Sunday service only. Also the 241 does get busy from time to time just like any route. 10.8m is the perfect size for this route

All the incoming E200s will be 10.8m (for service 241) which I said on the 30th October but since then First changed the order of the buses so the 241 was due first rather than 242.

These vehicles are red due to being based at Overtown so won't get confused with the U1/U2,18 services operated by Blantyre.

First are keeping the route branding simple rather than having every bus route a different colour when it is not really needed.

lastbus

The 241 buses will be on the road by the 26th of November none at Overtown yet as there is nowhere to put them. There will be a launch like the 75 bus aswell.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The 241 buses will be on the road by the 26th of November none at Overtown yet as there is nowhere to put them. There will be a launch like the 75 bus aswell.

The 18 and 241 buses are meant to be getting launched together.

JonnyB1984

The service is away to be upgraded from Every 15 Minutes to Every 10 Minutes.
241 is currently 15mins for the full route and 7/8mins from Motherwell-North Motherwell. New timetable will see buses serve the full route every 10mins.
Currently 2 at Caley and another 2 at Falkirk due for delivery (These 2 are branded). From what I heard the plan is for the B10s to be moved over to Caley on the 25th and then on return bring a E200 due to space at Overtown. Not been passed overtown recently but is the yard really that tight on space ?

lastbus

241 is currently 15mins for the full route and 7/8mins from Motherwell-North Motherwell. New timetable will see buses serve the full route every 10mins.

Currently 2 at Caley and another 2 at Falkirk due for delivery (These 2 are branded). From what I heard the plan is for the B10s to be moved over to Caley on the 25th and then on return bring a E200 due to space at Overtown. Not been passed overtown recently but is the yard really that tight on space ?

Yes buses get parked in the car park at night currently I’d say Overtown is very much at capacity

lastbus

The 18 and 241 buses are meant to be getting launched together.

Launch as in go In service the same day or like the 75 launch in George square if the latter then I can’t see it happening as the 18 is to be launched at dalmarnock tesco which the 241 goes nowhere near.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Launch as in go In service the same day or like the 75 launch in George square if the latter then I can’t see it happening as the 18 is to be launched at dalmarnock tesco which the 241 goes nowhere near.

I'd assume the same day.

lastbus

Couldn’t they extend Blantyre then and make it all the one like they did with Caley and Parkhead?

That’s all good in theory but then you need to take into account the costs i.e purchase of new land and increased dead mileage costs.

No need for Overtown to expand it has enough capacity to operate what it needs to operate and shares main routes with Blantyre

alangla

Heard a radio ad for the 75 new buses today. Sounds basically like an audio version of the banner ads on here, including the “full of more” strapline

smtglasgow

Is Blantyre more or less at capacity? They built it in the days when they were shrinking fast in Lanarkshire – a few years later they took over the Hutchie services and started fighting back against McKindless. The old Motherwell depot was massive – wonder if they regret downsizing?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The white LED screens on the new buses looks pretty good. I wonder if there are any plans to replace the screens like they did with the flip dot screens?

lastbus

Is Blantyre more or less at capacity? They built it in the days when they were shrinking fast in Lanarkshire – a few years later they took over the Hutchie services and started fighting back against McKindless. The old Motherwell depot was massive – wonder if they regret downsizing?

Very little room if any in Blantyre

Volvodart

Established Member
The M3 First Glasgow service will be the city’s first permanent electric bus route.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2018/11/13/electric-bus-scheme-awarded-15-million/

Electric bus scheme awarded £1.5 million

The M3 First Glasgow service will be the city’s first permanent electric bus route.

An electric bus scheme is among more than a dozen projects sharing in £6 million from a green economy fund.

The £20 million fund, established by SP Energy Networks, supports low-carbon transport and heating schemes.

The first round of funding has seen £1.5 million awarded to establish Glasgow’s first permanent electric bus routes, the M3 First Glasgow service.

Two electric buses, manufactured by Alexander Dennis, will operate between Milton and the city centre, serving an estimated 200,000 passengers a year.

The council-operated 100 service connecting the Riverside Museum with Kelvingrove, the SEC and the city centre will meanwhile receive three months’ funding of £25,000.

Andrew Jarvis, managing director of First Glasgow, said: “The award will allow for the purchase and operation of our first electric vehicles in Glasgow while also future-proofing our depot for more widespread electric bus operation.

“I am really looking forward to getting these new vehicles into service on route M3 and receiving feedback from our customers, our driving team and our engineering colleagues.”

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member