• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
EK punters using the 21 still seem to be stuck with the tired old 51-plate Tridents on most journeys this week, while looking enviously at the new gear on the 18. Any more details on the planned transfers out of/within FiG as a result of the new double-decks?

The ex Yorkshire 53-plate Geminis may be (more than) a bit weary, but from the point of view of passengers on the 21, they're still a joy to behold whenever they show up instead of a Trident...

The 21 has been downgraded ever since it was spilt and Blantyre started to run it . Frequency was dropped though at peak times was upped to every 15 mins out to EK . Was it every ten minutes , when it was the 20 on 54 plate Geminis ? Yeah the geminis are a lot more comfortable .

Another route is the 31 which has mostly tridents . Tridents on long hilly routes like the 21 and 31 are at risk of breaking down , geminis maybe more reliable .Suprised the 31 still continues to EK.

The thing about EK for a large town does not have local service of its own .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milkboy

The 21 has been downgraded ever since it was spilt and Blantyre started to run it . Frequency was dropped though at peak times was upped to every 15 mins out to EK . Was it every ten minutes , when it was the 20 on 54 plate Geminis ? Yeah the geminis are a lot more comfortable .

Another route is the 31 which has mostly tridents . Tridents on long hilly routes like the 21 and 31 are at risk of breaking down , geminis maybe more reliable .Suprised the 31 still continues to EK.

The thing about EK for a large town does not have local service of its own .

EK does still have the M1 and McGill's 395, plus Whitelaws' services, although none run at a high enough frequency to tempt more local users away from their cars. And the 31 is the only route serving the north-west of the town (as well as the only link between Castlemilk/Carmunnock and EK), but it'll probably never be busy enough to merit anything other than older vehicles. I'm also surprised there isn't more of a service in the oldest (Village) part of EK.

But as with all of the services cited above, the bottom line is the bottom line - service frequencies reflect usage levels, and EK as a whole is probably too far gone in terms of residents being wedded to their cars - it seems to be constantly expanding, but I doubt anyone buys a house in EK on the basis of its public transport links.

overthewater

Established Member
As said by a few of us what was coming.. were not sure what is coming?

Another 75 new buses joining next year

https://www.firstgroup.com/greater-...lasgow-announce-another-75-ultra-low-emission

First Glasgow announce another 75 Ultra-low emission buses arriving in 2019
FIRST%20BUS%20ALEXANDER%20DENNIS-LW004.JPG

First Glasgow has today (29 November) announced that it plans to invest millions in more ultra-low emission vehicles, with additional funding being granted from the Scottish Green Bus Fund.

The business plans to invest in another 75 new ultra-low emission vehicles for Glasgow in 2019, which includes £400k of investment from the Green Bus Fund and an additional £16.35million investment from First Bus. This follows on from more than £14million of investment in 2018, which highlights the city’s largest bus operator’s commitment to improving the quality of offering to its customers while at the same time playing its role in improving air quality in the city.

At an event hosted at Alexander Dennis Ltd’s bus factory in Falkirk earlier this month, Andrew Jarvis, Managing Director for First Scotland met with Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity, Michael Matheson MSP to mark the latest award from the Scottish Green Bus Fund and to get a sneak peek at some of the new buses on the production line.

Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity, Michael Matheson said: “It is good news that First Bus continue to invest in a modern fleet, manufactured here in Scotland, in partnership with Alexander Dennis. It is encouraging that First Bus have been able to take advantage of funds provided through the Scottish Government Green Bus Fund and move to new buses which offer significant carbon savings over the existing fleet.

“These new vehicles will help improve air quality and support the low emission zone which will shortly commence in Glasgow. The buses offer significant improvements in amenities and facilities, which I’m confident will help attract new customers, as well as being enjoyed by regular passengers. This is a positive step in our ambition to develop a low carbon economy.

“Buses have an important role in being part of the solution to improving air quality in our towns and cities. I welcome this investment by First Bus, which supports this government’s sustainable transport ambitions, as well as being great news for the people of Glasgow and beyond.”

Andrew Jarvis, Managing Director for First Glasgow, adds: “We are committed to working with Glasgow City Council, Transport Scotland and the Cabinet Minister to improve the city’s bus services. The bus is very much part of the solution when it comes to reducing emissions on our already congested roads as one full low emission bus can take up to 75 cars off the road.

“By deploying our new Euro VI technology vehicles that offer more comfort and are eco-friendlier we are headed in the right direction, but I know that a lot more can be achieved with strong working partnerships as we look to make public transport a more attractive alternative to the car for more people.

“In addition to the 75 Glasgow vehicles, First Bus in Scotland will also be working with Scottish Power Energy Networks to introduce two electric vehicles to the city of Glasgow, as well as continuing to work with Aberdeen City Council on the next phase of Hydrogen bus deployment in Aberdeen.”

Keith Watson, Customer Development Director at ADL, stated “We’re delighted to be partnering with First Glasgow to bring ultra-low emission Euro 6 and electric vehicles to the streets of Scotland’s biggest city. These Enviro double and single deck vehicles not only respond to stringent environmental demands but also to passengers’ increasing expectations thanks to premium onboard specifications and features. We look forward to continuing to work with First Glasgow on their journey to improve air quality in and around the city.”

lastbus

Great news! Wonder if it’ll be more decker stock or E200MMCs?

Also wonder if that’s the buses for the 34 in the background with the mint colour branding. Either way they look good!

It is there’s a picture of one at Caledonia on Facebook 67028 is the fleet number also a picture of a pink fronted one in Blantyre depot 67021

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just a thought but couldn’t the E200MMCs for the 500 be swapped with FSE’s E400MMCs for the 600?

I’m sure Edinburgh would welcome in some high spec E200s and Glasgow could benefit from larger buses. Win win no?

JonnyB1984

It is there’s a picture of one at Caledonia on Facebook 67028 is the fleet number also a picture of a pink fronted one in Blantyre depot 67021
67021 at Blantyre to be stickered up for 242 supposedly. If so then ADL must be ahead of schedule with their order as these vehicles were suppose to arrive next year unless not all will arrive this year.

lastbus

67021 at Blantyre to be stickered up for 242 supposedly. If so then ADL must be ahead of schedule with their order as these vehicles were suppose to arrive next year unless not all will arrive this year.

67021 is in the original order the surprise is that these are full length e200s the 242 was originally meant to receive the 44*** series like the 241

route101

Established Member
EK does still have the M1 and McGill's 395, plus Whitelaws' services, although none run at a high enough frequency to tempt more local users away from their cars. And the 31 is the only route serving the north-west of the town (as well as the only link between Castlemilk/Carmunnock and EK), but it'll probably never be busy enough to merit anything other than older vehicles. I'm also surprised there isn't more of a service in the oldest (Village) part of EK.

But as with all of the services cited above, the bottom line is the bottom line - service frequencies reflect usage levels, and EK as a whole is probably too far gone in terms of residents being wedded to their cars - it seems to be constantly expanding, but I doubt anyone buys a house in EK on the basis of its public transport links.

Apart from the M1 , the rest operate outwith EK too . Whitelaws services stop early and are quite dear if you dont have a pass. The people who are movng to EK moving into the new stuff on the fringes and EK is very car orientated.

lastbus

67021 is for the 65 two buses for the 34 were also delivered to Blantyre today

Jordan Adam

Established Member
67021 is for the 65 two buses for the 34 were also delivered to Blantyre today

Based off the fact that the buses on the 65 are all 44xxx that would seem a rather strange move. Certainly 67028 is branded for the 34/34A in the Mint Green livery.

lastbus

Based off the fact that the buses on the 65 are all 44xxx that would seem a rather strange move. Certainly 67028 is branded for the 34/34A in the Mint Green livery.

It is strange yes but only going with what I’ve been told the fact the buses for the 34 have been delivered to Blantyre is strange in itself as it’s not as if there isn’t room at Caledonia.

Going by the picture of the unbranded bus at Blantyre and the ones on the 65 they are very similar. Only explanation I can think of is the 241 got buses meant for the 65 and some of the buses meant for the 34 are going on the 65 now.

Guess it’s a case of wait and see though.

JonnyB1984

It is strange yes but only going with what I’ve been told the fact the buses for the 34 have been delivered to Blantyre is strange in itself as it’s not as if there isn’t room at Caledonia.

Going by the picture of the unbranded bus at Blantyre and the ones on the 65 they are very similar. Only explanation I can think of is the 241 got buses meant for the 65 and some of the buses meant for the 34 are going on the 65 now.

Guess it’s a case of wait and see though.

The 65 only requires 4 vehicles to operate the service and it already has 4. 44675/6/7/8. A few 34s have been delivered to Blantyre also.

lastbus

The 65 only requires 4 vehicles to operate the service and it already has 4. 44675/6/7/8. A few 34s have been delivered to Blantyre also.

Is it possibly a spare bus for the 65? As far as I know this is the only one delivered in this colour. The others have been delivered for the 34. The info I was given is that it is not for the 242 which makes sense given it’s a full size e200MMC

JonnyB1984

Is it possibly a spare bus for the 65? As far as I know this is the only one delivered in this colour. The others have been delivered for the 34. The info I was given is that it is not for the 242 which makes sense given it’s a full size e200MMC
Yeah, I heard its not for the 242 either last night. Time will tell as I would guess this to be stickered up within the next few days

lastbus

Yeah, I heard its not for the 242 either last night. Time will tell as I would guess this to be stickered up within the next few days

The ones for the 34 arrived already branded so it’s strange that this came with nothing but the pink front

Volvodart

Established Member
Are there only enough buses for the full service coming? If not, this could be the spare bus.

JonnyB1984

Looking at the numbers there appears to be 3 extra vehicles.

Vehicles Ordered for 2018: 75

Service 75: 22
Service 18: 18 (a few still to arrive)
Service: 65: 4
Service 241: 12
Service 34/34A: 16

Total: 72 (3 left over)

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Looking at the numbers there appears to be 3 extra vehicles.

Vehicles Ordered for 2018: 75

Service 75: 22
Service 18: 18
Service: 65: 4
Service 241: 12
Service 34/34A: 16

Total: 72 (3 left over)

More to come for 18? Thought that would need same or more than what the 75 gets .

Anyone know when the new buses are in service for the 34 ?

If next year 2 big routes get new buses then First Glasgow would have made a big dent in getting rid of old vehicles.7

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Does anyone know what the fleet numbers are for the 18? It seems to start from 33223 with the last one being number 33262. Numbering seems to be a bit odd if there's only 18 of them for the route.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
More to come for 18? Thought that would need same or more than what the 75 gets .

If next year 2 big routes get new buses then First Glasgow would have made a big dent in getting rid of old vehicles.7

Read on a Flickr post that some B7Ls have started to be withdrawn so probably most 2001/2002 plate stock including the Tridents will go pretty soon.

JonnyB1984

I believe there is still another 2 or 3 buses to arrive as I was told it requires 21 to run but that means First have ordered more than 75 vehicles unless the 34/34a is not receiving 16 vehicles.

34 I heard was suppose to be 17th this month. Not sure if they are being officially launched or just put out like the 65

snookertam

Just back from a visit to Manchester and Glasgow should at least count itself lucky to be receiving these new buses as their fleets are looking shabby and tired now, I think some of the newest buses I see were 12 play enviro 400s. Stagecoach have them shown up well and good with multiple 16 or 17 plate enviros 400s.

If the authorities in Manchester put a Low Emission Zone in place in the city centre then maybe they'll get the same.