• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
I would have thought that the 4/4A going via Muirend Rd/Millbrae Rd would be more beneficial given that those are residential streets without a bus service. This would also mean far less walkin for those who would need a bus to the city centre from Langside, there is already the 6 operating directly into the city centre from clarkston road of course, if the 5 moved over to operate via Spean Street instead of going directly along battlefield Rd as well it would collectively be offering more service to more streets of glasgow.

Yeah no bus service apart from 374 in that area . Remember the 66 and 44 going that way on diversion , may be a low bridge somewhere .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The newton Mearns section of 4 must be under threat . The 4a will survive because is Eagleshams link to city

The 4 had new buses only a few years ago. Not sure if that was just to temporarily fill in for the E500s which had did the 4 and 75 regularly or whether they wanted to upgrade it anyway. Then they all went to Express services and it has B9TLs and B7TLs mainly.

38A-Z

The 4 had new buses only a few years ago. Not sure if that was just to temporarily fill in for the E500s which had did the 4 and 75 regularly or whether they wanted to upgrade it anyway. Then they all went to Express services and it has B9TLs and B7TLs mainly.

When the E500s arrived, they were due for the 62, Faifley to Baillieston. (Current 2).
Either when they arrived or just before, they realised that Parkhead depot didn’t have an Adblue tank (major planning error there) so they were put to Larkfield. They were put on the 75 however after a few months, they were getting majorly vandalised in Castlemilk, window damage etc and then a seat was set on fire which made them remove them from the 75 and put on the 44/A (current 4/A) as it went through areas of Glasgow where it was less likely to be vandalised.

After a few years they started to run again on the 75 as well and latterly the 5 too. The 44s/ 75 / 5 tended to then have E500s or B9TLs.

They were limited to the busy services they could put the E500s on as there were major works on the railway bridge at Cathedral St which had a weight limit meaning, as it was such a heavy bus, it couldn’t go on likes of the 38 or 57.

The 5 lost the New E400s after a while and went back to mostly 54plate B7TLs.

The 4s only got a few of the spare 65 E400MMCs on it, before they went to the express services, and also often saw some of the low height E400s (11/61 plate) too. (Which should be on the 6).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
When the E500s arrived, they were due for the 62, Faifley to Baillieston. (Current 2).
Either when they arrived or just before, they realised that Parkhead depot didn’t have an Adblue tank (major planning error there) so they were put to Larkfield. They were put on the 75 however after a few months, they were getting majorly vandalised in Castlemilk, window damage etc and then a seat was set on fire which made them remove them from the 75 and put on the 44/A (current 4/A) as it went through areas of Glasgow where it was less likely to be vandalised.

After a few years they started to run again on the 75 as well and latterly the 5 too. The 44s/ 75 / 5 tended to then have E500s or B9TLs.

They were limited to the busy services they could put the E500s on as there were major works on the railway bridge at Cathedral St which had a weight limit meaning, as it was such a heavy bus, it couldn’t go on likes of the 38 or 57.

The 4s only got a few of the spare 65 E400MMCs on it, before they went to the express services, and also often saw some of the low height E400s (11/61 plate) too. (Which should be on the 6).

The weight limit on the bridge was 17 tonnes, i'm fairly certain most deckers with a full load of passengers are more than that. The E500s unladen are 15.3t.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
When the E500s were still in Glasgow they made the odd rare appearance on the 38. This was while the Cathedral Bridge was still shut and getting diverted via Killermont Street. They were a bit of a nightmare going down the narrow streets in Cathcart as well, especially in and around the old Scottish Power HQ.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

You wonder how they went from ordering buses as big as the E500s for the 2 only for them to order all singles (E300s) just 3 years later. Wasn’t there plans to reduce the frequency slightly on the 2 after the E500s had started operating? I think the 2 definately needs deckers. It could probably run as a mix of singles and deckers but all singles can be a bit crowded at times. Plus most times 3 buses arrive at the one time which isn’t always ideal. I think they could alter the frequency and use deckers again. Shame that plan never worked out.

I remember getting the E500s on the 38 a few times. They were nice enough buses. I also remember back in the day getting the East Lanc Nordics on the 62 and 61 for a time while a few were on loan to Parkhead. The Leylands from Hong Kong also ran on these routes for a time so 6 wheeler buses could run these routes. Surely they could have came up with a solution for the AdBlue tank or perhaps because they had an idea PH would close in the near future they didn’t want to invest in that.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
You wonder how they went from ordering buses as big as the E500s for the 2 only for them to order all singles (E300s) just 3 years later. Wasn’t there plans to reduce the frequency slightly on the 2 after the E500s had started operating? I think the 2 definately needs deckers. It could probably run as a mix of singles and deckers but all singles can be a bit crowded at times. Plus most times 3 buses arrive at the one time which isn’t always ideal. I think they could alter the frequency and use deckers again. Shame that plan never worked out.

I remember getting the E500s on the 38 a few times. They were nice enough buses. I also remember back in the day getting the East Lanc Nordics on the 62 and 61 for a time while a few were on loan to Parkhead. The Leylands from Hong Kong also ran on these routes for a time so 6 wheeler buses could run these routes. Surely they could have came up with a solution for the AdBlue tank or perhaps because they had an idea PH would close in the near future they didn’t want to invest in that.

The Enviro500s were purchased on 10 year lease (2009-2019) much like the Nordics, however First brought them outright when they moved to Aberdeen.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The Enviro500s were purchased on 10 year lease (2009-2019) much like the Nordics, however First brought them outright when they moved to Aberdeen.

Is there a reason why First tends to lease their tri axles rather than originally buy them out right?

route101

Established Member
When the E500s were still in Glasgow they made the odd rare appearance on the 38. This was while the Cathedral Bridge was still shut and getting diverted via Killermont Street. They were a bit of a nightmare going down the narrow streets in Cathcart as well, especially in and around the old Scottish Power HQ.

Had them on the 31 a fair few times , pinch point is Carmunnock , been on a bus thats been stuck onto someones house !!
The first time i got one was on a 44 just after delivery .

route101

Established Member

Yeah they went to Parkhead for a while and possibly Cumbernauld .e500s made it onto 18, 20 and 9 routes too. Yeah 2 needs deckers . Anyone noticed how the new e400mmcs run together , noticed this on 38 and 77.

route101

Established Member

Funnily enough seen a 65 plate e400mmc on a 4 other day. Low height e400s still on 4 , should be on 6 , see one on morning 38 too.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Funnily enough seen a 65 plate e400mmc on a 4 other day. Low height e400s still on 4 , should be on 6 , see one on morning 38 too.

There was a low height E400 on the 46 the other day too. They seem to be getting used just about anywhere now. Since the merge of Parkhead with Caledonia about 3 years ago you can find a real mixture of Caley buses on ex-Parkhead routes and vice versa. It’s inevitable.

Parkhead tended to get the newest single decks stock while Larkfield would get the newest deckers. It would be nice to see some more new stock over in the east end.

route101

Established Member
There was a low height E400 on the 46 the other day too. They seem to be getting used just about anywhere now. Since the merge of Parkhead with Caledonia about 3 years ago you can find a real mixture of Caley buses on ex-Parkhead routes and vice versa. It’s inevitable.

Parkhead tended to get the newest single decks stock while Larkfield would get the newest deckers. It would be nice to see some more new stock over in the east end.

The ALX 400s are split over the Parkhead/Caley runs . I think buses like geminis/eclipses/b7ls used over the 3 ex depots . The 65 plate e400mmcs on the kirky routes . Do wonder with drivers how easy is it for them to do each others routes?

route101

Established Member
The last trident LT02 NWC was on the 60 this evening .
Caley ALX 400 on peak 18 , pretty rare

alangla

There’s definite signs that the Larkfield/Parkhead split at Caledonia is significantly easing- noticed a pink new E200 on a 7 over the weekend and what looked like a 65 plate on Great Western Road this morning, presumably on a 6. Would make things a lot easier if they’d update the “maintained by the xxxxxx depot team” badges, some of them are totally out of date.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There’s definite signs that the Larkfield/Parkhead split at Caledonia is significantly easing- noticed a pink new E200 on a 7 over the weekend and what looked like a 65 plate on Great Western Road this morning, presumably on a 6. Would make things a lot easier if they’d update the “maintained by the xxxxxx depot team” badges, some of them are totally out of date.

I’ve also noticed that they are storing buses differently at Caledonia. Normally outside the main sheds was the ex-Parkhead buses. However as of recent they’ve began to store all the branded buses here which is mainly new ones along with the B9TLs for the 61.

I wonder what the plan is for the 60/60A - I’ve noticed a lot more B9TLs on the route with the occasional B7TL.

route101

Established Member
I’ve also noticed that they are storing buses differently at Caledonia. Normally outside the main sheds was the ex-Parkhead buses. However as of recent they’ve began to store all the branded buses here which is mainly new ones along with the B9TLs for the 61.

I wonder what the plan is for the 60/60A - I’ve noticed a lot more B9TLs on the route with the occasional B7TL.

Used to Parkhead buses on the smaller southern side . Branded 38s are parked here now with airport buses

route101

Established Member

Dont think they put them badges on now , still buses with Parkhead badges

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Now that the tridents are mostly gone I wonder if the next orders will be to start banishing some of the B7TL Gemini’s. That will need a huge order as there are quite a number in the fleet.

Not to mention the B7RLEs. It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out in the next few years as we head towards LEZ. The impression I get is that Andrew Jarvis is looking at new rather than retrofit.

lastbus

Now that the tridents are mostly gone I wonder if the next orders will be to start banishing some of the B7TL Gemini’s. That will need a huge order as there are quite a number in the fleet.

Not to mention the B7RLEs. It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out in the next few years as we head towards LEZ. The impression I get is that Andrew Jarvis is looking at new rather than retrofit.
Only buses that are Euro 5 will be retrofitted Andrew Jarvis has already been quoted saying this.

Volvodart

Established Member
If First are going to have to start paying at least part of the costs of the retrofit, this makes sense.

Gingerbus1991

how is it a pile of sh*t 07 plate 6 months ago people in Glasgow would have been happy with that on there service .
In other words, as a glaswegian myself, I expect my bus to be old, noisy, damp and cold.

I recently sat on a there new 75 and 18 buses and those are usually strewn with rubbish, dirty leather seats or windows etc, but again that's just the half-Ar**D glasgow way of it, no one cares.

The older B9's in glasgow are being held together with rivets.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In other words, as a glaswegian myself, I expect my bus to be old, noisy, damp and cold.

I recently sat on a there new 75 and 18 buses and those are usually strewn with rubbish, dirty leather seats or windows etc, but again that's just the half-Ar**D glasgow way of it, no one cares.

The older B9's in glasgow are being held together with rivets.

Issue with Glasgow is you give them anything nice and they wreck it pretty quickly, yes it does hark back to the whole "Respect" issue, however it's difficult perhaps impossible to change the ways of people, especially as a public transport operator. First Glasgow still have a long way to come but the recent investment cannot be ignored, maroon or not...

The Brittish Army is held together with rivets... Still works! :lol:

Gingerbus1991

Issue with Glasgow is you give them anything nice and they wreck it pretty quickly, yes it does hark back to the whole "Respect" issue, however it's difficult perhaps impossible to change the ways of people, especially as a public transport operator. First Glasgow still have a long way to come but the recent investment cannot be ignored, maroon or not...

The Brittish Army is held together with rivets... Still works! :lol:
On a lighter note the more I see of FiGs 38 and 18 brand, I would think that perhaps as a company livery the torquise or red colour is very modern and eye catching and would make the fleet as a whole far more appealing to the eye.

The standard livery need some grey or gold lines placed in it to give it a little more depth.

I really do wish that First would get it that Alloys and painted hubs tie a whole livery together.

Alot of the big truck companies and some bus companies do this, plus Alloys don't corrode like the steel wheel do after only a short time, it ruins the look of a bus the 65 400mmcs look tired already.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
On a lighter note the more I see of FiGs 38 and 18 brand, I would think that perhaps as a company livery the torquise or red colour is very modern and eye catching and would make the fleet as a whole far more appealing to the eye.

The standard livery need some grey or gold lines placed in it to give it a little more depth.

I really do with that First would get it that Alloys and painted hubs tie a whole livery together.

Alot of the big truck companies and some bus companies do this, plus Alloys don't corrode like the steel wheel do after only a short time, it ruins the look of a bus the 65 400mmcs look tired already.

Red, Pink, Blue and Green generally speaking work really well on buses. I agree the standard livery is a bit basic, however that was the intention. I do wish they'd put some colour on the front end though, even if it was just Lilac (Blue/Green in FSE/Abdn's case).

I've always preferred painted wheels with the "Ring" style trims on service buses and then Chrome alloys on coaches. However either is better than none and i wish first were better in that regard. Stagecoach are purchasing their E400MMCs with chome wheels now, how long they'll actually last is anyone's guess.

Gingerbus1991

Red, Pink, Blue and Green generally speaking work really well on buses. I agree the standard livery is a bit basic, however that was the intention. I do wish they'd put some colour on the front end though, even if it was just Lilac (Blue/Green in FSE/Abdn's case).

I've always preferred painted wheels with the "Ring" style trims on service buses and then Chrome alloys on coaches. However either is better than none and i wish first were better in that regard. Stagecoach are purchasing their E400MMCs with chome wheels now, how long they'll actually last is anyone's guess.
Lastly if only Stagey then painted the hubs orange!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The wheels need a bit of work I don’t think that’s any great secret. They stick out like a sore thumb against fresh nicely painted buses.

I’m not a huge fan of the new livery at all. I find it so bland. Particularly Glasgow’s. The light lilac is pretty awful. It works ok on the Wright stock (like the B7RLEs and Gemini’s) but the ADL stock does not suit the new livery at all... the purple at the front looks ridiculous. They should have kept some pink in there in my opinion. I think the branded E200MMCs that are on the 2 just now (which nobody seems to know where they’re going) display what probably could have worked as the new First livery. The pink front and purple at the back.

I get there are moans and groans about First up to their old tricks over the years but there’s no denying that they are trying. A lot of new stock has arrived in a very short time. I anticipate there will be so much more between now and 2022 to comply with LEZ and just generally upgrade the fleet. Routes like the 60/60A are screaming out for new buses while the 2 could be doing with deckers. I think they could be doing with ordering new E200MMCs for the 2 and using the current stock to oust the remaining B7Ls and B10BLEs thus also upgrading the 2 which is one of the busiest routes on the network.