• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I can fully understand the dislike towards B7Ls. The reason the engine is offset with the cooling package above was to attract more to the EU market as the B7L gave the potential for a 3 door set up with no steps. However in the UK no buses have this, so all the layout meant was a loss of two seats. Weirdly however from personal experience the later 05 plate B7LAs are far more refined, additionally any driver who i know who's driven both a B7L and 05 reg B7LA will say that the latter is far more pleasant to drive and much smoother through the gears. Volvo clearly realised the mistake and thus the B7RLE came to the UK in 2003 and the rest is history...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus Lightyear

The power isn't the question. It's the issue of the engine being in the passenger compartment with excessive heat and noise. The First examples are also from the era of terrible seating that also afflicted numerous B10BLEs, L94s, and B7TLs around the turn of the millennium.
Of course, that type of seating which I think is known as Urban 90 was terrible in the Volvo B7l and Scania L94. At least it didn't seem as bad with the Volvo B10ble as they have very good suspension.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Of course, that type of seating which I think is known as Urban 90 was terrible in the Volvo B7l and Scania L94. At least it didn't seem as bad with the Volvo B10ble as they have very good suspension.

Urbans 90s are a different make, i can't recall the type/make of seats First used back then off the top of my head but it's not Urban 90s. Perhaps someone else will know?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I thought this was Urban 90 seating. If I'm wrong perhaps someone will correct me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41987...u26-nNXaij-a73DQy-fAVAXg-9Jq1aw-SAWtWf-gumg4K

These are 'Urban 90s'.

4519128874_d4709db22e_z.jpg
805bancos_odp.jpg

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the problem First and all operators in general have as far as comfort goes is that people have way higher standards for comfort in their journeys nowadays. The standard of seating has definitely went up in recent times in Glasgow with a lot of refurb work being done and all of the new buses coming in but for some that won't be enough to use buses

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think the problem First and all operators in general have as far as comfort goes is that people have way higher standards for comfort in their journeys nowadays. The standard of seating has definitely went up in recent times in Glasgow with a lot of refurb work being done and all of the new buses coming in but for some that won't be enough to use buses

Comfort has certainly improved, as has safety. High back seating being standard is strong evidence of this.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Comfort has certainly improved, as has safety. High back seating being standard is strong evidence of this.

Definitely. As someone who gets back pain fairly often it's good to have good cover for my back. Makes it easier to do a lot of short journeys too in a shorter time

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 3 is a Scotstoun only route . Unless caley do some shorts on it. It does pass caleys driver changeover point though

Yes the 3 is fully Scotstoun based. However the 2 is run by, both, Scotstoun and Caledonia (with Scotstoun having the bigger share if I’m not wrong). It would be silly to brand the Caledonia buses and not the Scotstoun ones.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
61588 has been preserved

I remember this bus very clearly running out of Parkhead and it used to always run the early morning extra on the 2. It broke down a good few times if I remember rightly. I really never have been a fan of these buses I always preferred the B10BLEs. The B7RLEs were a real improvement and like has been said I think they learned from their mistakes. It’s sad that the B7RLEs weren’t as well looked after as they could have been. They could have been refurbed long ago as they have good seating and still have great motors but they need new seat coverings and a full overhaul inside which First won’t do as it’s a bit too late now.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Didn't I read somewhere the B7Ls were very poor on fuel consumption? But then perhaps so are the B7RLEs?

https://www.firstgroup.com/greater-...ates/planned-changes/october-service-revision

October Service Revision
27 Oct 2019All Areas
Service Change from Sunday 27 October 2019

Service 9/9A, Glasgow – Paisley/Penilee/Braehead

Minor route change in Tradeston area, service will now operate via Bridge Street, right into Nelson Street, and will no longer operate via Kingston Street.

Revised timetable daily, no change to frequency.

Service 19, Glasgow - Easterhouse

Minor route change, Service will no longer operate via Conisborough Road

Revised timetable daily, Frequency increased to every 20 minutes.

Service 19A, Glasgow - Robroyston

Service withdrawn and replaced with new Monday – Saturday service X2 between Robroyston and Glasgow City Centre via M80 & M8

Service 38/A/B/C/E

Section of route between Glasgow Fort and Easterhouse withdrawn

Revised timetable daily, no change to frequency

Service 41, Glasgow – Easterhouse

Service 43, Easterhouse – Parkhead

Revised timetable Sundays only

Service 46, Easterhouse - Castlemilk

Minor route change, Service will now operate via Conisborough Road

Service 60/60A, Easterhouse – Clydebank/Milngavie

Service 61, Sandyhills – Summerston

Service 90, Partick – Braehead

Minor timetable changes Monday – Friday, no change to frequency,

Service 201, East Kilbride, Hairmyres – Petersburn

Minor timetable changes Monday - Saturday, no change to frequency

Service 230, Silvertonhill – Coatshill

Minor timetable changes Monday – Saturday

0904 Monday – Saturday journey from Silvertonhill to Hamilton Bus Station withdrawn

Service 240, Glasgow – Overtown

Minor timetable changes Monday – Friday only, no change to frequency

Service 241, Cleland – North Motherwell

Revised timetable Saturdays only

Service M60, Clydebank – Drumchapel

Minor timetable changes Monday – Saturday, no change to frequency

Service X1/X1A, Hillhouse – Glasgow

Revised timetable Monday – Saturday

Service X2, Robroyston – Glasgow

New hourly Monday – Saturday service between Robroyston and Glasgow City Centre via M80 & M8

From the same date the following services will be withdrawn

Service 304 Service 335

Service 305 Service 340

Service 314 Service 359

Service 315 Service 370

Service 318 Service 816

Service 324 Service 864

Current issues

PaulMc7

Established Member
https://www.firstgroup.com/greater-...ates/planned-changes/october-service-revision

October Service Revision
27 Oct 2019All Areas

Minor route change in Tradeston area, service will now operate via Bridge Street, right into Nelson Street, and will no longer operate via Kingston Street.

Service withdrawn and replaced with new Monday – Saturday service X2 between Robroyston and Glasgow City Centre via M80 & M8

Service 38/A/B/C/E

0904 Monday – Saturday journey from Silvertonhill to Hamilton Bus Station withdrawn

New hourly Monday – Saturday service between Robroyston and Glasgow City Centre via M80 & M8

Service 304 Service 335

Service 305 Service 340

Service 314 Service 359

Service 315 Service 370

Service 318 Service 816

Service 324 Service 864

Current issues

Feel sorry for anyone who needs a bus in Robroyston on a Sunday tbh because they'll be waiting a while. Got quite a walk round if you stay at Glendale or at Briarcroft for a bus. Means on a Sunday too for anyone wanting to go to the terminus area in Robroyston a 57A to its terminus and then walking

andy257

Feel sorry for anyone who needs a bus in Robroyston on a Sunday tbh because they'll be waiting a while. Got quite a walk round if you stay at Glendale or at Briarcroft for a bus. Means on a Sunday too for anyone wanting to go to the terminus area in Robroyston a 57A to its terminus and then walking
the 87 goes to auchinairn road other side of Brookfield just walk through brookfield

andy257

October Service Revision
27 Oct 2019All Areas

Service 38/A/B/C/E

Service 304 Service 335

Service 305 Service 340

Service 314 Service 359

Service 315 Service 370

Service 318 Service 816

Service 324 Service 864

Current issues
why hasn't the 10 not have its route changed at tradeston like service 9/9a.its going same route.the 10 wont be going along Kingston street

PaulMc7

Established Member
the 87 goes to auchinairn road other side of Brookfield just walk through brookfield

why hasn't the 10 not have its route changed at tradeston like service 9/9a.its going same route.the 10 wont be going along Kingston street

Thought that tbh. Yeah, it's a strange one for the 10. Will have the exact same route as the 9/9A as well. Also the route change has already started so it should have been made clear by now for the 9/9A/10

Last edited:

KGGXXXY

Thought that tbh. Yeah, it's a strange one for the 10. Will have the exact same route as the 9/9A as well
Also this route change has already happened, maybe its just an excuse for the timetable change, as the 10 timetable has no changes.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Also this route change has already happened, maybe its just an excuse for the timetable change, as the 10 timetable has no changes.

That would make the most sense tbh. It would only make the bus around a min or 2 quicker anyway if there's a change

overthewater

Established Member

Not to worry, a new train station is coming.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Not to worry, a new train station is coming.

True. Shame it's not on the greatest line for reliability. Been horrific for public transport in Robroyston for as long as I remember

The train station coming makes the X2 even more pointless too tbh. Could have operated the 19A in a circle around Glendale at the very least. Was just the Robroyston part of the route that struggled. City centre to Provanmill was fairly busy each time I used it

andy257

they still have to reg with the traffic office even for minor route change.as there is a bus stop in nelson st now

KGGXXXY

they still have to reg with the traffic office even for minor route change.as there is a bus stop in nelson st now
if that's the case Mcgill's will need to do the same for the 23, 26, 38
Thing is now the roads are back to how they were years ago, when buses turned right at the Laurieston into Nelson street, heck even the shelter was still there minus the bus stop flag, only thing different is the new chunky raised kerb.

KGGXXXY

Could be that the 10 has been registered but the timetable change is minimal or non existent so First are not advertising it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Could be that the 10 has been registered but the timetable change is minimal or non existent so First are not advertising it.

Not seen anything for it tbh. The 9 timetable change would be minimal too. Not seen anything from Mcgills either

andy257

I see today that service 431 Milton to Springburn school bus has been canceled from 22nd nov as well as service 333 depot bus cancelled from 30th nov.i heard more changes in january

PaulMc7

Established Member
Surprised they've improved the 19 at night and on Sundays. Thought they would think they'd get away with the 1 an hour frequency. That X2 looks very poor though. The timing points also show that the X2 won't serve the Asda etc either so even if you need there from Glendale or Briarcroft you're reduced to walking. Wonder if the 19 being every 20mins will take customers away from Stagecoach X19. I've never seen the X19 that busy off-peak tbh