• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

duffers2324

I remember they did that during the Overground days with the new solos at the time they branded the 89/90 service as the grey line and frequency was every 20 minutes for it, as far as im aware the reason they stopped doing the inner and outer circles was due to the fact of 1) reliability and 2) they wanted to have 2 physical termini so it was seen as a point to point route and therefore as i have said it would help reliability rather than a circular, saying that it is back in a small way as i have seen that first now do the 89/90 circle journeys again albeit in the evening and for SPT meaning subsidised

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
I remember they did that during the Overground days with the new solos at the time they branded the 89/90 service as the grey line and frequency was every 20 minutes for it, as far as im aware the reason they stopped doing the inner and outer circles was due to the fact of 1) reliability and 2) they wanted to have 2 physical termini so it was seen as a point to point route and therefore as i have said it would help reliability rather than a circular, saying that it is back in a small way as i have seen that first now do the 89/90 circle journeys again albeit in the evening and for SPT meaning subsidised

The irony that it was down to reliability is pretty funny as it's a mess for reliability currently with a longer route than before. It would fit in with the SPT journeys too if it went back to they old way

Bus Lightyear

Absolutely agree with this. Continuous circular routes like the 89-90 are extremely challenging to regulate hence why First Glasgow took the decision a few years back to withdraw the Clyde Tunnel part of the route and extend from Govan to Braehead. One set of roadworks is enough to completely destroy reliability for the whole day. Without recovery time you wont have resilience.

However I do agree that the present route is too long and should perhaps be split ie 90 Partick to Parkhead and 90A Parkhead to Braehead. Only issue with that is being able to increase running costs at the same time as generating enough additional revenue to support the investment.

Bus Lightyear

the 38 used to go to gartcosh/glenboig years ago when it was extended from easterhouse
The 38A extended from Robroyston to Glenboig via Muirhead and Gartcosh in the mid 90s still in Strathclyde's Buses days but it didn't last long.

Around 14 or 15 years ago just after Glasgow Fort opened some 38s extended from Garthamlock to the then new railway station at Gartcosh via Gartloch. It was latterly replaced by the 32-33 which didn't last long neither. Nowadays it's a tendered service 310 but I cant remember who runs it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 38A extended from Robroyston to Glenboig via Muirhead and Gartcosh in the mid 90s still in Strathclyde's Buses days but it didn't last long.

Around 14 or 15 years ago just after Glasgow Fort opened some 38s extended from Garthamlock to the then new railway station at Gartcosh via Gartloch. It was latterly replaced by the 32-33 which didn't last long neither. Nowadays it's a tendered service 310 but I cant remember who runs it.

Mcgills have ran the 310 for quite a while if memory serves me correct

PaulMc7

Established Member
Granted that there are likely to be more service changes in January does anyone think it's a bit excessive having 3 sets of service changes in 5 months?

I do agree with constantly keeping on top of service performance etc but would it not be easier to just have say a bigger set of changes every 6 months?

route101

Established Member
Have the ALX 400s been withdrawn ? Had mostly singles on the 31 few days now , resulting in cosier journeys.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Have the ALX 400s been withdrawn ? Had mostly singles on the 31 few days now , resulting in cosier journeys.

The ALX400s have been pretty much all but banished from the 60/60A. It’s mostly B7TLs, B9TLs and E400MMCs on that route now.

They were a vast improvement when they arrived in 2012/2013 to replace some of the older tridents but let’s face it they’re older buses and the shortage of seating was an issue particularly on the lower saloon on many of them. The E400MMCs and B9TLs are far superior imo.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mods- can you move these to the correct thread??
if someone can let us know (via report button) which post numbers need to be moved that would be great, thanks

if anyone wishes to reply to a post that is in the wrong thread, the best thing to do is to reply in the correct thread, and report the first off topic post and let us know the details of which posts need moving, and where to, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Steamysandy

On the Edinburgh Evening News web page tonight is an advert for bus drivers for First bus but when you open it out they re for Glasgow!

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seen a few people complaining about the 38 being taken out of Easterhouse and the 19 being swapped over with the 46 in Easterhouse and seen great examples of why it's happening. Seen some extremely empty 38s today as well as a fairly quiet 19 and 46.

I know it's the October week etc but from previous holidays here I've always noticed buses being far busier. It's certainly possible that Easterhouse could lose more if residents aren't careful.

Also got the quietest 1E ever home from the city centre. 10 passengers out of the city centre on any 1 variation is a new low from anytime I've used the service. Usually lucky to get a seat on a single decker between around 3 and 10/11. In previous holiday periods these have never been quiet either

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Seen a few people complaining about the 38 being taken out of Easterhouse and the 19 being swapped over with the 46 in Easterhouse and seen great examples of why it's happening. Seen some extremely empty 38s today as well as a fairly quiet 19 and 46.

I know it's the October week etc but from previous holidays here I've always noticed buses being far busier. It's certainly possible that Easterhouse could lose more if residents aren't careful.

Also got the quietest 1E ever home from the city centre. 10 passengers out of the city centre on any 1 variation is a new low from anytime I've used the service. Usually lucky to get a seat on a single decker between around 3 and 10/11. In previous holiday periods these have never been quiet either

I wonder if there is any particular reason for the Easterhouse services being quiet, or is it the case that Stagecoach has gained a lot of them?

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder if there is any particular reason for the Easterhouse services being quiet, or is it the case that Stagecoach has gained a lot of them?

I think it's because there's so much rework with housing being done because anytime I've seen the X19 that isn't busy either. There's a lot of houses being built all over the place around Easterhouse/Garthamlock etc but I don't even think once they're finished that buses will magically be busy again. Think it's going to keep declining if anything

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

The 46 is busier at the forge end but it’s a pretty quiet service which sees mainly what’s left over at the depot which can range from the newest buses to the oldest.

As for the 38, I think most people get off and on at the Glasgow Fort, I always assumed they went further because there wasn’t capacity for all the 38s to sit at the Fort’s terminus as it’s not exactly the biggest area considering the buses it serves. I doubt it’ll be a huge miss. Just a case of people complaining about a service they probably don’t use.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 46 is busier at the forge end but it’s a pretty quiet service which sees mainly what’s left over at the depot which can range from the newest buses to the oldest.

As for the 38, I think most people get off and on at the Glasgow Fort, I always assumed they went further because there wasn’t capacity for all the 38s to sit at the Fort’s terminus as it’s not exactly the biggest area considering the buses it serves. I doubt it’ll be a huge miss. Just a case of people complaining about a service they probably don’t use.

Yeah from the Fort further it really only needs the 60/60A and then less frequent buses. It was overkill as it is tbh. I think with the new timetable the 38 will have 7 mins recovery time at the fort which isn't bad tbh given how tight the bus area is. Buses struggle to get by each other normally

route101

Established Member
I think it's because there's so much rework with housing being done because anytime I've seen the X19 that isn't busy either. There's a lot of houses being built all over the place around Easterhouse/Garthamlock etc but I don't even think once they're finished that buses will magically be busy again. Think it's going to keep declining if anything

Or the new housing has more car users perhaps?

route101

Established Member

Yeah , 46 had alx 400 on it today . No ALX 400s on the 31 this week , been a gemini amd 3 elclipses , october holidays means buses have been busier all day . Hope the deckers come back on Monday .

route101

Established Member
The ALX400s have been pretty much all but banished from the 60/60A. It’s mostly B7TLs, B9TLs and E400MMCs on that route now.

They were a vast improvement when they arrived in 2012/2013 to replace some of the older tridents but let’s face it they’re older buses and the shortage of seating was an issue particularly on the lower saloon on many of them. The E400MMCs and B9TLs are far superior imo.

Yeah noticed that on them , nae seats downstairs , i always sit upstairs on a decker anyway .

PaulMc7

Established Member
Or the new housing has more car users perhaps?

Yeah it definitely will have. Need to be fairly well off to afford most new build houses these days and most jobs want people with cars even if they stay in areas with great buses/trains so if anything the more houses are built then the less public transport will actually be needed.

goldisgood

Yeah it definitely will have. Need to be fairly well off to afford most new build houses these days and most jobs want people with cars even if they stay in areas with great buses/trains so if anything the more houses are built then the less public transport will actually be needed.
I'd have to disagree with you on this, as I'm sure others will - slightly different conditions for my example, but an interurban route near me (S6 Swindon to Oxford) has in the last decade gone from an hourly single decker route to a double decker route running every 15 minutes at peak times, with very busy services. The main reason for this has been thousands of new homes in towns along the route, so new homes doesn't necessarily mean less public transport usage.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd have to disagree with you on this, as I'm sure others will - slightly different conditions for my example, but an interurban route near me (S6 Swindon to Oxford) has in the last decade gone from an hourly single decker route to a double decker route running every 15 minutes at peak times, with very busy services. The main reason for this has been thousands of new homes in towns along the route, so new homes doesn't necessarily mean less public transport usage.

Yeah there's been some growth in some areas with new houses and I think it might lead to more bus usage in some areas but not many at all and I've seen a few that have lost services completely despite loads of new homes

andy257

Yeah there's been some growth in some areas with new houses and I think it might lead to more bus usage in some areas but not many at all and I've seen a few that have lost services completely despite loads of new homes
  • when the new houses are finished build in sighthill Glasgow I see services routed in the new scheme