• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Certainly worth a go tbh. The passenger numbers have dwindled so much on the 4/4A so it will be interesting to see what they do with them. I think cutting the broomhill to Knightswood section on the 4 and Knightswood to Hyndland through Anniesland and Kelvindale on the 4A has hurt them more than helped. The amount of roadworks in the West end around Glasgow University doesn't help either. Can be quicker to get the 2/3/77 and walk up than getting a 4/4A plus the subway takes a lot away from them. 6/6A has the same problem tbh. Along Great Western Road there's absolutely no need for 12 buses an hour off peak not to mention the very poor reliability that comes with that road too

Dont go to Byres road often but use the Subway now even if costs extra on top of my bus pass .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Wouldn't be surprised if the 4 got cut to every 20 mins soon and the route cut to Broomhill to Clarkston with short route services created between Clarkston-Newton Mearns/Eaglesham. Could even do one between Newton Mearns and Eaglesham. Even an every 30 min service wouldn't require many buses
The 44 used to have night bus services as well.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 44 used to have night bus services as well.

Yeah I remember well. The 44 was great for ages and at times every 10 mins to Knightswood still lead to full buses. The X4 has been a good idea for peaks but it's a replacement to the 4 that nobody around Knightswood really wanted. The 4/4A into Glasgow City Centre weren't even that much slower than the X4 can be sometimes due to traffic more than anything. I think if the X4 went through Broomhill and then down to Thornwood and onto the expressway it wouldn't be as bad. Top of Victoria park would still have a bus and Knightswood would still have a West end link

38A-Z

The 4 did get e400mmcs in 2015 . Didn't the Muirend terminators get dropped ? Have seen a few eclipses on the 4 recently , certainly at peak i see the 4s are full , this might be due to fact that the 4 has better route out of the city , straight out of Jamaica st.
At every 15 minutes its essentially two every half hourly services combined. Can see the 4a serving Eaglesham , lifeline service but the 4 to Mearns , might be dropped in future.

I don’t think the 4 did get the E400MMCs in 2015, apart from some spares. It was the 5 and X85/X87 that got them as far as I remember. Then the 5 lost them to the X3/X11.

Yeah the 4 was two buses going to each terminus an hour when it was every 10 mins and they dropped Muirend turning circle to make it every 15 mins so 2 each to Mearns and Eaglesham.

I think most people in Clarkston/Muirend would try to take the 6 into the city as the 4’s route though Cathcart is a nightmare due to parked cars, especially Sinclair Drive (unless they need the 4 for Central Stn or west end). The Scottish Power building in Cathcart has closed so I assume that would have made a significant loss in the passenger numbers on the 4s.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I don’t think the 4 did get the E400MMCs in 2015, apart from some spares. It was the 5 and X85/X87 that got them as far as I remember. Then the 5 lost them to the X3/X11.

Yeah the 4 was two buses going to each terminus an hour when it was every 10 mins and they dropped Muirend turning circle to make it every 15 mins so 2 each to Mearns and Eaglesham.

I think most people in Clarkston/Muirend would try to take the 6 into the city as the 4’s route though Cathcart is a nightmare due to parked cars, especially Sinclair Drive (unless they need the 4 for Central Stn or west end). The Scottish Power building in Cathcart has closed so I assume that would have made a significant loss in the passenger numbers on the 4s.

The 4, 5 and 75 saw the 65 plate E400MMCs in 2015 when they were first introduced. Remember that they were only introduced to replace the E500s which went to Aberdeen. These buses were regularly found on these routes (4, 5, 75) so I think they were slotted in to run these routes. Then within a few months (if that) they were swapped for Express services because apparently the ‘stop/start’ was becoming an issue.

It’s sad to see such a busy route dwindle like it has. Not sure what they’ll do to it but can’t imagine it getting new stock/being branded anytime soon.

Scott mac

The 4, 5 and 75 saw the 65 plate E400MMCs in 2015 when they were first introduced. Remember that they were only introduced to replace the E500s which went to Aberdeen. These buses were regularly found on these routes (4, 5, 75) so I think they were slotted in to run these routes. Then within a few months (if that) they were swapped for Express services because apparently the ‘stop/start’ was becoming an issue.

It’s sad to see such a busy route dwindle like it has. Not sure what they’ll do to it but can’t imagine it getting new stock/being branded anytime soon.
When new The 65 plate e400mmc were never for the 4 4a or the 75 they were for the Express routes and the 5

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
When new The 65 plate e400mmc were never for the 4 4a or the 75 they were for the Express routes and the 5

Well they operated those routes when first introduced. Literally like a few weeks or a month. There’s pictures online and I remember it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

They were ordered for the 4, 4A, 5 & 75 - basically the services run by E500s. They didn't go near the Express services until quite some time later - this as mentioned above was due to issues with the start/stop systems.

Busman84

When the 65 plate E400MMCs were new the 5, X85/87 were the routes they went on. The 4 got one or two if spare that was it. The 75 only started to get them on Sundays a year later. When Andrew Jarvis took over 2 years later the E400s then got taken off the 5 road. Some got transferred to Blantyre for the X11 the rest stayed at Caledonia with the X3 gaining them.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They were ordered for the 4, 4A, 5 & 75 - basically the services run by E500s. They didn't go near the Express services until quite some time later - this as mentioned above was due to issues with the start/stop systems.

This is how I recall too!!

Scott mac

When the 65 plate E400MMCs were new the 5, X85/87 were the routes they went on. The 4 got one or two if spare that was it. The 75 only started to get them on Sundays a year later. When Andrew Jarvis took over 2 years later the E400s then got taken off the 5 road. Some got transferred to Blantyre for the X11 the rest stayed at Caledonia with the X3 gaining them.
Thanks for this

route101

Established Member
Up to a year they were on 4 and 5 , late 15 to late 16. Used to get them from time to time on the 31.

You still very occasionally get them on the original caley routes like 4 and 4.

route101

Established Member

Yeah , 6 has kinda dwindled too. Im not sure why. I think the trains might be the reason. Buses are not really cheaper than the trains, and a lot quicker.

Electrification of the EK line plus a frequency increase (if this happens) will have a further impact.

route101

Established Member
Yeah I remember well. The 44 was great for ages and at times every 10 mins to Knightswood still lead to full buses. The X4 has been a good idea for peaks but it's a replacement to the 4 that nobody around Knightswood really wanted. The 4/4A into Glasgow City Centre weren't even that much slower than the X4 can be sometimes due to traffic more than anything. I think if the X4 went through Broomhill and then down to Thornwood and onto the expressway it wouldn't be as bad. Top of Victoria park would still have a bus and Knightswood would still have a West end link

How well used is the x4? I see it around St Enochs and is quiet but most people would of got off by then.

PaulMc7

Established Member
How well used is the x4? I see it around St Enochs and is quiet but most people would of got off by then.

Outside of peaks it's usually pretty dead. Sounded a good idea on paper but the West end link with the 4 was far busier

PaulMc7

Established Member
What other changes do you guys think with happen with the February changes?

route101

Established Member
So what is your favourite route ?

Mine is the 6 , for the route , varied through the City .

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There were however they have since been removed and i can't repost them. They're parked inside at Caledonia so it's most certainly happening. They look nice tbh.

Thanks. Interesting are they still for the M3? I wonder if now that the last buses from this years order have been delivered we’ll be hearing about the 2020 order soon.

image.jpg

Interesting colours too... It appears to be the Aberdeen two tone green rear with a lime front end.

Is it these colours

lastbus

Thanks. Interesting are they still for the M3? I wonder if now that the last buses from this years order have been delivered we’ll be hearing about the 2020 order soon.
Yes they are for the M3 and they are in the colours they are in as they are being provided by an energy company.

Scott mac

With the 600 being cut and all so rumoured to be going single deck in January is looks likely the last of the e400mmc from Livingston will transfer over to glasgow at the end of January

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
With the 600 being cut and all so rumoured to be going single deck in January is looks likely the last of the e400mmc from Livingston will transfer over to glasgow at the end of January

How many more E400MMCs are at Livingston? Hopefully they gather enough to cover the 60/60A.