• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Got a feeling they've chose that green because of the 2 going by Celtic Park. Got a feeling we will get something dark green eventually though. Still a good amount of branding options available considering there's been quite a few services done now.

X1, 2, 3, X3, X11,18, 34/34A, 38, 41, 75, 241, 242, 254 with branding and the 1s and 9s and 201s have their own branding too. Got a feeling the 1s and 9s will be upgraded either this year or next. Don't think I've missed any on that list above

9 i think ,was thinking the 1 was just getting an upgrade on the e300s. Not sure of any new buses coming.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
When it was first introduced it ran from Sandyhills - BBS (via Baillieston, Easterhouse, Cranhill, Ruchazie etc) then on to City Centre. Then they dropped that side of it and kept the Easterhouse part before withdrawing it completely. I don’t actually know what the purpose of that route was tbh.

Remember it . Used older buses , cant remember when it was withdrawn though .

route101

Established Member
Used the 46 from Rutherglen to the fort before and got caught in traffic at Dalmarnock and Shettleston. Felt like I was never getting off the bus lol

Ive used it from its start point in Castlmilk tothe forge , is quicker for me to remain on the 31 and change in town.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Ive used it from its start point in Castlmilk tothe forge , is quicker for me to remain on the 31 and change in town.

Yeah I'm surprised the 46 is so well used at times with how long winded the route was

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seen an old SPT note for the 32/33 from a good 10/15 years ago. Cardowan to Easterhouse with a heavily long winded route. Anyone remember the old 6 that ran from Cardowan? Can't remember the route but I remember it going to Garscadden at Yokermill Road

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I still remember when the 398 was operated by SPTBus Optare Solos, much more adequate than the Enviro 200MMC used on it now

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not necessarily as double-deckers have operated in service under that bridge before without issue. IIRC Strathclyde's 66A operated to Mountblow using low height Olympians which could fit under and Central/Kelvin Scottish/Kelvin Central also operated services that passed under the bridge.

This photo(not mine) shows a Kelvin Dominator in the background passing under the bridge - https://flic.kr/p/AtQAwg

The height limit is 13ft 6in so no deckers in the Glasgow fleet, nor any on the market will get under.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The height limit is 13ft 6in so no deckers in the Glasgow fleet, nor any on the market will get under.

Means the only options that could work is put more buses through the 1D route or do the old Mcgills route on their 204X up more of Kilbowie Road onto the A82. Demand could be there now tbh considering a lot of people do swap onto 2s and 81s at Clydebank

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I wonder if bendys would ever be an option. I know some B7LAs and B10LAs used to do peak workings to Old Kirkpatrick back in the day but is there much demand for higher capacity like that past Clydebank? I know it can still be fairly busy but surely peak deckers are more than adequate to there then the E300s can cope with the rest?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Stagecoach MMCs seem to fit under the 13ft 6in bridge over Botley Road in Oxford without any trouble - https://flic.kr/p/JXXHLd

Oxford's Streetdecks also seem to fit under as can be seen here showing one about to go under the bridge - https://flic.kr/p/2g4ui6C

Indeed i'm aware of that case (it's often used to prove heights listed are not always accurate), i'd suspect the bridge there isn't actually 13ft 6.

CM

Indeed i'm aware of that case (it's often used to prove heights listed are not always accurate), i'd suspect the bridge there isn't actually 13ft 6.

I doubt that very much as an inaccurately marked bridge could lead to serious accidents... And even if that was the case, there is plenty of photos showing buses actually under the bridge with literal inches to spare so the height won't be far off.

I'm also pretty certain that bridges are always marked a few inches lower than what they are as well.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder if bendys would ever be an option. I know some B7LAs and B10LAs used to do peak workings to Old Kirkpatrick back in the day but is there much demand for higher capacity like that past Clydebank? I know it can still be fairly busy but surely peak deckers are more than adequate to there then the E300s can cope with the rest?

They're fairly busy to Old Kilpatrick but between there and Dumbarton isn't anywhere near as busy. Dumbarton to Renton/Alexandria is also pretty busy at times from experience. If anything an extra 1C or 1D would be a better option. The problem that comes is people rely on specific 1s and miss out because they are so packed so quickly. Seen it happen with double deckers too where a 1 runs late and the next 1C/1D ends up full at Oswald St meaning people on Argyle St miss out

lastbus

I doubt that very much as an inaccurately marked bridge could lead to serious accidents... And even if that was the case, there is plenty of photos showing buses actually under the bridge with literal inches to spare so the height won't be far off.

I'm also pretty certain that bridges are always marked a few inches lower than what they are as well.
Correct they are all marked lower than they actually are.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Green buses

I much prefer the bigger wheels on these buses. It improves the design and everything. I think if our E200MMCs and E300s had bigger wheels there wouldn’t be so many bumps and they wouldn’t be as flimsy.

They look good. Is the interior just the standard First interior?

First has announced on social media that the 2 electric vehicles are getting launched tomorrow. But not where as they have not said where

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wonder if these buses will bring a lot of new passengers to the M3. Seen it busy from City Centre to Saracen Cross but never that busy past there plus it's hourly as it is too

PaulMc7

Established Member
Worst bus for reliability everyone? For me, it has to be the 8. Waited from 2:55 to 3:50 without one turning up towards Parkhead from Springburn earlier and when I got the M3 up to the side of Stobhill due to a change of plan I crossed over to go for the 57 and that's when the 8 passed on the other side from me. The initial plan was to get the 8 to the forge for some shopping and I abandoned that with how cold I was already. In terms of breakdowns etc too they used to always happen when I used the 8. Another one of those services that would benefit from a route split or something completely different. Having buses every 30 mins only works if the reliability isn't so horrific too and the 8 and 90 especially are too poor to consistently attract absolutely solid numbers everywhere on the route.