• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
There's a low bridge at the bottom of Kilbowie Road so the 1/1A/1B/1E are single deck because of that and the 1C/1D can be extremely busy even off peak too so it's understandable as to why they're mostly double decker. The 1C is the closest bus to me and it can be just as busy off peak as any other service I've used in Glasgow

1 is one of the few routes i think thats built up passenger numbers , other being 77.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1 is one of the few routes i think thats built up passenger numbers , other being 77.
Presumably all the 1s could be replaced by a new build low height double decker fleet. There's another bridge in Alexandria too.
However loadings on all 1s merit a larger vehicle.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Presumably all the 1s could be replaced by a new build low height double decker fleet. There's another bridge in Alexandria too.
low height MMCs still dont fit under the bridge at Clydebank

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

I don’t travel on the 1 all that much passed Clydebank but is it really busy after that or are most commuters using it up until Clydebank as it’s the fastest way? Surely if they were willing to build low height E400s for the 6 at one stage then they would have did something with the 1 long before now? I don’t think any deckers fit under that bridge.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I don’t travel on the 1 all that much passed Clydebank but is it really busy after that or are most commuters using it up until Clydebank as it’s the fastest way? Surely if they were willing to build low height E400s for the 6 at one stage then they would have did something with the 1 long before now? I don’t think any deckers fit under that bridge.

Usually busy until Old Kilpatrick then bowling isn't busy but it then picks up at Dumbarton again normally

duffers2324

The only way i could see them putting deckers on the 1's obviously bar the 1C and 1D would be to make them run the same route as the 1D up to Second Avenue and then onto Duntocher Rd and back onto Dumbarton Road at Dalmuir but then that means missing a piece of Dumbarton Road between Kilbowie Road and Dalmuir so its a 50/50 do you make it all decker and miss out part of Dumbarton Road or do you keep it as is?
Then as mentioned the bridge at the Vale of Leven hospital which only the 1 uses as the 1A goes via napierston so does that mean that it will only be 1A's to be doubles or do they take the 1 out of the Vale of Leven grounds to put deckers on that as well? Which i personally think would be a bad idea for First in terms of taking it out of the hospital.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
The only way i could see them putting deckers on the 1's obviously bar the 1C and 1D would be to make them run the same route as the 1D up to Second Avenue and then onto Duntocher Rd and back onto Dumbarton Road at Dalmuir but then that means missing a piece of Dumbarton Road between Kilbowie Road and Dalmuir so its a 50/50 do you make it all decker and miss out part of Dumbarton Road or do you keep it as is?
Then as mentioned the bridge at the Vale of Leven hospital which only the 1 uses as the 1A goes via napierston so does that mean that it will only be 1A's to be doubles or do they take the 1 out of the Vale of Leven grounds to put deckers on that as well? Which i personally think would be a bad idea for First in terms of taking it out of the hospital.

I'd probably keep it as it is tbh. The 206 already goes by the vale without going into it too so it would be pointless taking the 1 out unless they put the 206 into it

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Many years ago Dumbarton ran low height double deck metrobuses on what is now the 1.
So can't see any probem.

There has been no change to the bridge height since.
the bridge is 13”6 or 7 and a low height MMC is 13”9 so it doesnt fit

Don't seem to remerberany single decks ring created.
However if the bodybuilder want the job they will make sure they fit.
There are more than MMCs around too.

route101

Established Member
Cant see them ordering a bespoke order of Low heights. They do a good job of keeping the low heights on the 6 on the route , not

route101

Established Member
Used to 60 today , 2 came at once at the Forge . Earlier not two running together.

awsnews

The walkway in the Vale hospital that had the height restriction was demolished some time ago, although not before one of the ex Eastern Counties Paragons managed to hit it.
Old Kilpatrick's RL bodied Dominators did go under Kilbowie Road bridge, but I think at that time the height limits were legally only advisories whereas now they are restrictions.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The busiest part of the route is definitely been between City Centre and Clydebank. Only thing I can think of is to run 3 smaller routes and start the 1/1A/1B from Clydebank to Balloch/Helensburgh instead.

Make a Faifley to city centre route and a Duntocher to City Centre one along with the 1D and run them with deckers. Might fix the reliability with the 1/1A/1B too if around 30/35 mins is cut off of the route

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I don’t imagine they’ll introduce a completely new bus type but it’s First so I guess you never know. Not to mention what may be getting cascaded in from other subsidiaries.
agreed, also arent wrights production lines still closed?

Funny how McGilLS dont accept a daytripper though

There's no accountability or reimbursement on Daytripper tickets. Unlike ZoneCard the Daytripper is not a neccessity for any bus operator to accept.

Unlike the Zonecard where the diary is used to apportion the revenue from the scheme, no such mechanism exists for DayTripper.

They know how many they have sold as each ticket has a number printed on them, but they have no clue when or how they are used because of the broad length they are potentially valid for- if you buy one at the start of the tickets validity its valid for three years.

Samuel88

On Moderation
There's no accountability or reimbursement on Daytripper tickets. Unlike ZoneCard the Daytripper is not a neccessity for any bus operator to accept.

Unlike the Zonecard where the diary is used to apportion the revenue from the scheme, no such mechanism exists for DayTripper.

They know how many they have sold as each ticket has a number printed on them, but they have no clue when or how they are used because of the broad length they are potentially valid for- if you buy one at the start of the tickets validity its valid for three years.
No excuse, every other major city in the UK has a fully integrated day ticket, it should be the case if McGill’s refuse to participate in the daytripper scheme, they aren’t allowed to bid for SPT funded routes or use SPT facilities...

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That’s good news! I wonder if we’ll see any Streetdecks like was rumoured a few months back or whether it’ll just be E200/E400MMCs.

Streetdecks have never been rumoured for Glasgow and they won't be getting any. The only mention of Streetdecks was someone on here (i forget who) saying they'd hope Glasgow would buy some so there's variety in the fleet (which is fairly pointless).

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Streetdecks have never been rumoured for Glasgow and they won't be getting any. The only mention of Streetdecks was someone on here (i forget who) saying they'd hope Glasgow would buy some so there's variety in the fleet (which is fairly pointless).

There definitely was a rumour a few pages back that said they heard we were getting them. There was also another about Gemini 2s coming from down South.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There definitely was a rumour a few pages back that said they heard we were getting them. There was also another about Gemini 2s coming from down South.

There wasn't any rumours at any point about Streetdecks. The Gemini2s were due to move, but went / are going to FSW instead.