• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
as long as no streetlites are coming terrible buses to drive

I remember being a passenger on them on the 90 a lot when that first got them. Felt sorry for any driver considering they were uncomfortable enough as a passenger let alone being stuck driving them. Used the 267 a couple of times with them too and weren't any better then too

route101

Established Member
No excuse, every other major city in the UK has a fully integrated day ticket, it should be the case if McGill’s refuse to participate in the daytripper scheme, they aren’t allowed to bid for SPT funded routes or use SPT facilities...

Is there any other bus operators that dont take it?

What about the McGills SPT supported services ? Is it valid on that?

route101

Established Member
I remember being a passenger on them on the 90 a lot when that first got them. Felt sorry for any driver considering they were uncomfortable enough as a passenger let alone being stuck driving them. Used the 267 a couple of times with them too and weren't any better then too

I find them a bit noisy , one place they arent suited is the ones on Arran or rural services , terrible ride.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
both were mentioned. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some in Glasgow

They were mentioned but Jordan's point is mentioned by whom? Enthusiast's musing about different types?

FiG has been busy purchasing ADL for a number of years. Aside from a small batch of Streetdecks for Sheffield about 18 months ago, the only OpCo taking them has been First West Yorkshire so ADL is very much the preferred choice for First.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They were mentioned but Jordan's point is mentioned by whom? Enthusiast's musing about different types?

FiG has been busy purchasing ADL for a number of years. Aside from a small batch of Streetdecks for Sheffield about 18 months ago, the only OpCo taking them has been First West Yorkshire so ADL is very much the preferred choice for First.

Exactly, i'm not saying they've haven't been mentioned as they have, albeit it's just that it's been from enthusiasts with hypothetical scenarios and not rumours. No reputable source has said both products (i assume ADL and Wright) are on the table as they aren't.

No excuse, every other major city in the UK has a fully integrated day ticket, it should be the case if McGill’s refuse to participate in the daytripper scheme, they aren’t allowed to bid for SPT funded routes or use SPT facilities...

You will also then say that operators that withdraw commercial operated journeys, should then not be allowed to bid for replacement SPT contracts..... And then all the other operators would be banned from publicly owned SPT facilities- which would be against the public interest....

The only operators that accept the Daytripper are First, Garelochhead Coaches, Stagecoach, Glasgow Citybus, Stuarts, Whitelaws and Wilsons of Rhu. No one else quite rightly so including McGills accept it except on SPT supported routes because there's absolutely no guarantee of being repaid for the journeys someone may or may not take on a ticket that has no accountability or revenue return.

Maybe when SPT come out of the dark ages and get the product on some kind of Smart or E-ticket with full accountability of customer use and proper revenue share distribution via the scanning of the tickets on ticket machines- this potentially great ticket will see a lot more acceptance by more operators. Im sure if there was more accountability over the revenue McGills probably would accept it and then others would probably follow suit.

Remember the Roundabout ticket if you purchased it from an SPT travel centre- it was a slip of paper which got rubber stamped! You would then rock up to the Subway and have to quoue up at the booking office and then have to be issued with a Magnetic Stripe ticket to get past the ticket barriers! And that's before you go to a proper train station with ticket gates and have to be let through every time you travelled.

Zonecards- what an absolute palava! Sunday to Saturdays ONLY- dont buy it on a Wednesday because you've lost half the week, how many zones? The over riding fraud and misuse of these tickets is rife. How many bus drivers even care if a customer has the right zones? Ticket is in date, on you come! No wonder FirstCards have died out with their similar restrictive purchase date system and people buy FirstWeeks and e-tickets etc.

People bemoan the privately owned bus operators, but what about the publicly owned transport authority whose tickets are overly complicated and some still need a date stamp?!

Last edited:

Samuel88

On Moderation
You will also then say that operators that withdraw commercial operated journeys, should then not be allowed to bid for replacement SPT contracts..... And then all the other operators would be banned from publicly owned SPT facilities- which would be against the public interest....

The only operators that accept the Daytripper are First, Garelochhead Coaches, Stagecoach, Glasgow Citybus, Stuarts, Whitelaws and Wilsons of Rhu. No one else quite rightly so including McGills accept it except on SPT supported routes because there's absolutely no guarantee of being repaid for the journeys someone may or may not take on a ticket that has no accountability or revenue return.

Maybe when SPT come out of the dark ages and get the product on some kind of Smart or E-ticket with full accountability of customer use and proper revenue share distribution via the scanning of the tickets on ticket machines- this potentially great ticket will see a lot more acceptance by more operators. Im sure if there was more accountability over the revenue McGills probably would accept it and then others would probably follow suit.

Remember the Roundabout ticket if you purchased it from an SPT travel centre- it was a slip of paper which got rubber stamped! You would then rock up to the Subway and have to quoue up at the booking office and then have to be issued with a Magnetic Stripe ticket to get past the ticket barriers! And that's before you go to a proper train station with ticket gates and have to be let through every time you travelled.

Zonecards- what an absolute palava! Sunday to Saturdays ONLY- dont buy it on a Wednesday because you've lost half the week, how many zones? The over riding fraud and misuse of these tickets is rife. How many bus drivers even care if a customer has the right zones? Ticket is in date, on you come! No wonder FirstCards have died out with their similar restrictive purchase date system and people buy FirstWeeks and e-tickets etc.

People bemoan the privately owned bus operators, but what about the publicly owned transport authority whose tickets are overly complicated and some still need a date stamp?!
How come operators in Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, even Edinburgh can cope with paper multi operator tickets then? McGill’s are just playing silly buggers and with their shady reputation it doesn’t surprise me!

How come operators in Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, even Edinburgh can cope with paper multi operator tickets then? McGill’s are just playing silly buggers and with their shady reputation it doesn’t surprise me!

Try using a Daytripper on a JMB 56 to Shotts, a Canavans 43 to Kilsyth, an Avondale 400 to the Drum or a United 7 to Townhead in Coatbridge then...

CentralSMT

Many years ago Dumbarton ran low height double deck metrobuses on what is now the 1.
So can't see any probem.

There has been no change to the bridge height since.

Worked out of Larkfield Depot on 66A St Leonards to Mountblow using Leyland Olympians with a height of 13'9. We used to stay on Dumbarton Road until a route change put us down Chalmers onto Kilbowie & under the bridge at 13'6. Notice in depot stated we MUST proceed at dead slow speed and MUST NOT go over any objects lying on the road. The clearance was minute.
I did read the following methodology by someone who asked a guy who specifies bridge heights. As follows:
'Apparently the formula is to measure the bridge, subtract three inches, then round the figure down to the nearest multiple of three inches if it happens not to be exact. For example, a bridge measured at 15' 2" would have a warning sign for 14' 9", being reduced first to 14' 11" then rounded down to 14' 9".
Hope that helps. I guess the bus height 'may' be marginally overstated to reduce incidents.

Busman84

Burnside Railway Bridge is 14’6.. Back when Parkhead done the 18 road 15 years or so ago there boards said AHs were not to go on that road. Can’t remember the height of AHs but it was more than 14’6.. Before Overground in 1999 the 20 road ran under the bridge and back in SBL days it was exclusively AHs on it and they got under the bridge..

SarahDFIG

This confirms the number of buses coming as per what I said *Although this says between 75/80*. Once I know what is being ordered I will post the info. ADL will no doubt be the choice but remember that FIG need as many E6 vehicles as they can get with their budget. Wouldn't rule out more wright vehicles joining the fleet just yet :)

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
This confirms the number of buses coming as per what I said *Although this says between 75/80*. Once I know what is being ordered I will post the info. ADL will no doubt be the choice but remember that FIG need as many E6 vehicles as they can get with their budget. Wouldn't rule out more wright vehicles joining the fleet just yet :)

That’s great news for Glasgow. It will be interesting to see which routes get the upgrade and in time push out all the older stock meaning the best of the older stuff can operate on the other routes not affected. I wonder when they plan to retrofit the refurbished B9TLs. Perhaps the ones on the 61 will end their days on this route then the last order will see the route get new buses.

Arriva Fan

With the the 9/9A transferring to Caledonia rumours maybe that will be one of the Routes upgraded.

Busman84

Could be other work going the other way if that’s the case. More 2 and 6 workings. The rumour the 9 was going to Cally has been talked about for years need to see if it is going to really happen.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Supposed to be 9/9A to Caledonia and Scotsoun will take over all Service 2 workings.

Did think it would be something like that tbh although it will only add more dead mileage as Caley is a good deal closer to Baillieston than Scotstoun is and Scotstoun is a great deal closer to Penilee and Paisley than Caley is

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Did think it would be something like that tbh although it will only add more dead mileage as Caley is a good deal closer to Baillieston than Scotstoun is and Scotstoun is a great deal closer to Penilee and Paisley than Caley is

I would have said so if the Airdrie section of the 2 still existed but there are plenty of Scotstoun buses which end at Baillieston then dead head back to Scotstoun via the M8 at Swinton so I think that could work just fine.

tbtc

Veteran Member

The Sheffield ones were due to a PTE organised bid for funding (partly based on things like improving air quality along Barnsley Road), hence Stagecoach getting Streetlites for their parallel service (although I've seen people claim that Stagecoach ordering these Streetlites marked a change in future vehicle policy, rather than just a case of the two operators having to order similar stock as part of the funded scheme to introduce new buses).

Essentially, the First Streetdecks and the Stagecoach Streetlites ordered as part of this scheme in Sheffield can be ignored when people talk about plans for other cities.

CentralSMT

Perhaps off topic but, does anyone know if the City of Glasgow has ANY 24/7 public transport within its city limits? Can't find any midweek night service...First only mention weekends. Surely not possible for the largest city in Scotland.

Perhaps off topic but, does anyone know if the City of Glasgow has ANY 24/7 public transport within its city limits? Can't find any midweek night service...First only mention weekends. Surely not possible for the largest city in Scotland.

That is true the only service that run 24/7 everyday of the week is the 500 to the airport

CentralSMT

That is true the only service that run 24/7 everyday of the week is the 500 to the airport
Thanks for the info. Was looking for some midweek transport down Dumbarton Road. Think I have been spoiled over the years by Lothian... a dozen night routes every day of the week and not just within the city limits. Glasgow used to have EK-Mountblow a few years back...are there really no punters out and about at night...nae students? Are they all in Edinburgh?? May I say someone wants to get a grip of transport in this country...it deteriorates at a rate of knots. Cheers for the info though.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I don't ever see 24/7 routes being a thing in Glasgow again unless car usage drops so massively it has to be a thing. Most jobs that are involving of night shift that I see when I'm applying look for people with cars even if you'd finish near when the first bus or train of the morning is. With how much student accommodation etc there is too now within walking distance of the city centre it's understandable that even they don't need buses. If it's 3/4 people then a taxi is more than affordable

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

South of the border, Greater Manchester is similarly bereft. There are some on Thu/Fri/Sat nights but otherwise it's the Airport service or the University services (and they either reduce or disappear outside of term time).

The famed 192 from Manchester to Hazel Grove runs every 6 - 8 mins in peak but only has a night service on Fri/Sat