• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

lastbus

As far as getting messages of diversions across to customers it literally could be done very simply like this once you have knowledge of the closure:

Let drivers know
Let depot nearest to road closure know
Draft up diversion on paper
Print how many copies are needed depending on how many bus stops affected
Get anyone available at the depot to go to the stops to put signs up

Doesn't have to be anything fancy but in a business driven by customers from the public, communication and relationships with them need to be spot on. First do lack good customer relations and social media absolutely shows that
There is someone who puts bus stop notices up on a nightly basis for diversions. Drivers are also told via the ticket machine and staff notices. The road closures are also put on Twitter and the website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
There is someone who puts bus stop notices up on a nightly basis for diversions. Drivers are also told via the ticket machine and staff notices. The road closures are also put on Twitter and the website.

Clearly been an issue lately then as there's been quite a few mentions of people not knowing diversions were even in place and no signs on bus stops etc

lastbus

Clearly been an issue lately then as there's been quite a few mentions of people not knowing diversions were even in place and no signs on bus stops etc
Only time notices can take time to be posted is when it’s an emergency diversion.

scosutsut

As far as getting messages of diversions across to customers it literally could be done very simply like this once you have knowledge of the closure:

Let drivers know
Let depot nearest to road closure know
Draft up diversion on paper
Print how many copies are needed depending on how many bus stops affected
Get anyone available at the depot to go to the stops to put signs up

Doesn't have to be anything fancy but in a business driven by customers from the public, communication and relationships with them need to be spot on. First do lack good customer relations and social media absolutely shows that
Better still before authorising road works, (all) council's should insist on a public transport impact assessment, consultation with affected operators, agreed re-routes / stop closures and signage creation and hanging at affected stops. All financed & delivered by the company wanting to dig up the road in the first place. Would help focus minds would deliver council's duty of care (better) for the elderly and infirm.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen already to be honest.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Better still before authorising road works, (all) council's should insist on a public transport impact assessment, consultation with affected operators, agreed re-routes / stop closures and signage creation and hanging at affected stops. All financed & delivered by the company wanting to dig up the road in the first place. Would help focus minds would deliver council's duty of care (better) for the elderly and infirm.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen already to be honest.

That would probably need councils to apply a lot of organisation and common sense tbh so pretty unlikely if anything else to do with roadworks/transport is anything to go by. Most of the city needs road repairs to some degree so the disruption levels would be very excessive

route101

Established Member
With First it would help if they published frequent service updates on Twitter. Look at the fantastic job Stagecoach OpCo's do of advertising delays or breakdowns on Twitter throughout the day, even in to the evening/night the controllers often post updates if required. Sadly with First's Twtter accounts for some bizarre reason being centrally operated from Leeds this is unlikely to happen. Still it would be a great help.

Yeah , not sure how it works , do they look at trackers? Yeah Stagey are good at saying if a bus is not going to run.77

So apparently these trackers are not real time? They use algorithms from previous days data, as someone was complaining it was showing due at the timetabled time yet the bus turns up 30 min later.

The stops on the 31 still dont have any signs saying no service for a week , how are the elderly finding out?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yeah , not sure how it works , do they look at trackers? Yeah Stagey are good at saying if a bus is not going to run.77

So apparently these trackers are not real time? They use algorithms from previous days data, as someone was complaining it was showing due at the timetabled time yet the bus turns up 30 min later.

The stops on the 31 still dont have any signs saying no service for a week , how are the elderly finding out?

The depot have access to a live tracking data feed. The 'live' countdown bus stop data shown on the apps and at bus shelters typically comes from the local authority or PTE, hence how there's often inaccuracies out of First's control.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Can already tell Argyle St being reopened has helped the 1s considerably. I do still think the Monday to Friday for them needs a bit of adjustment though. I don't think it's a matter of recovery time either but instead just a few minutes here and there spread across the full route.

It's tough to get right but certain routes definitely do need a bit of reworking.

As far as tracking goes I notice how wild it can be with all of the buses I can get. If a bus says "due" at my usual stop the chances are it'll be 3/4 mins before it's actually there

PaulMc7

Established Member
On the subject of Streetlites, seen one on the 201 today which is a first just up from Petersburn

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Can already tell Argyle St being reopened has helped the 1s considerably. I do still think the Monday to Friday for them needs a bit of adjustment though. I don't think it's a matter of recovery time either but instead just a few minutes here and there spread across the full route.

It's tough to get right but certain routes definitely do need a bit of reworking.

As far as tracking goes I notice how wild it can be with all of the buses I can get. If a bus says "due" at my usual stop the chances are it'll be 3/4 mins before it's actually there

I used to get ghost buses appear on it . Actually my new phone doenst seem to work with the first app. If i turn on location it immediately closes down.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I used to get ghost buses appear on it . Actually my new phone doenst seem to work with the first app. If i turn on location it immediately closes down.

Yeah if a service becomes a not in service here it seems to track it as if it's still running perfectly. I had a problem with the app when it last updated but it's fine now

route101

Established Member

Still no signs and i seen people waiting at bus stops for the 31 .Yes it was put on twitter but was hardly made clear that a section of route was not operating , nor an apology .

lastbus

Still no signs and i seen people waiting at bus stops for the 31 .Yes it was put on twitter but was hardly made clear that a section of route was not operating , nor an apology .
Have you contacted customer services?

• PM0000001/645 Cancelled
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD

Route: Milton, Skerray Street to Springburn Shopping Centre

Service number: 431

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 17 Apr 2020

• PM0000001/310 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD

Route: Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station to Glasgow Airport via City Centre

Service number: 500

Effective date: 19 Apr 2020

• PM0000006/3 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD

Route: Hillhouse Farm Road to Fairhill, Burnhouse Road or Little Earnock

Service number: 226

• PM0000001/181 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD

Route: Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station to Glasgow Airport via Clyde Tunnel, Govan Road, Ikea, Braehead, Renfrew

Service number: 77

• PM0000001/248 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD

Route: City Centre (Osborne Street or Stockwell Street) to Carmyle River Road via Parkhead

Service number: 64

• PM0000001/612 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD

Route: Auchinairn Road or Balornock East to Silverburn Bus Station or Kennishead Avenue via City Centre

Service number: 57 (57A)

• PM0000001/34 Registered
    FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD

Route: Faifley Turning Circle, to Baillieston, Caledonia Road

Service number: 2

PaulMc7

Established Member
Hopefully, with the changes, there's an improvement to reliability especially with the 2. It wasn't actually terrible until the last time it changed and it's been a lot worse since. When does the 2 fully move to Scotstoun from Caley? Any more changes expected?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Hopefully, with the changes, there's an improvement to reliability especially with the 2. It wasn't actually terrible until the last time it changed and it's been a lot worse since. When does the 2 fully move to Scotstoun from Caley? Any more changes expected?

It makes sense fleet wise too. The 2 and 3 are all E300 operated so they’ll all stay together and the 9 may receive new E200MMCs if the rumours are true so the new buses will go to Caley. I wonder if they will start painting the 9 branded B7RLEs into the new livery soon. That’ll be a big clue.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It makes sense fleet wise too. The 2 and 3 are all E300 operated so they’ll all stay together and the 9 may receive new E200MMCs if the rumours are true so the new buses will go to Caley. I wonder if they will start painting the 9 branded B7RLEs into the new livery soon. That’ll be a big clue.

Yeah definitely. I'd be surprised if the 9 never got the next new buses tbh. Opens up a lot of opportunity to get rid of older fleet as the B7RLEs can be used elsewhere

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Yeah definitely. I'd be surprised if the 9 never got the next new buses tbh. Opens up a lot of opportunity to get rid of older fleet as the B7RLEs can be used elsewhere

I don’t imagine they’ll stay within Glasgow/Lanarkshire as they seem intent in upgraded routes even out with the LEZ so I’m sure there are routes down South which will benefit from them. I like the B7RLEs they are good buses but very tired internally and they aren’t as good as they once were considering they’re now about 13/14 years old. There are a fair number of them though....

PaulMc7

Established Member
I don’t imagine they’ll stay within Glasgow/Lanarkshire as they seem intent in upgraded routes even out with the LEZ so I’m sure there are routes down South which will benefit from them. I like the B7RLEs they are good buses but very tired internally and they aren’t as good as they once were considering they’re now about 13/14 years old. There are a fair number of them though....

Yeah I think they'll send some away but still keep more. Could be used on the likes of the M11, 81 etc

lastbus

Given there’s a change in for the 2 for 19th of April I’m going to guess the move will take place then.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Given there’s a change in for the 2 for 19th of April I’m going to guess the move will take place then.

Yeah would make the most sense especially as there's one in for the 77 too if that's supposed to move. Would be a really straightforward switch over

lastbus

Yeah would make the most sense especially as there's one in for the 77 too if that's supposed to move. Would be a really straightforward switch over
The 77 is staying at Scotstoun as far as I’m aware but with a change of relief point.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 77 is staying at Scotstoun as far as I’m aware but with a change of relief point.

Thanks for the info. It's one of those routes that has good positioned terminus points so works pretty well with either depot

SarahDFIG

B7RLEs should be leaving the fleet so doubtful.