• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
They are - just looked at the twitter feed. They are responding almost immediately.

There is one person who's kicking off on there and it's then interesting once you delve into their timeline. They hate First Glasgow.... and Aldi.... and their employer.... and most of the human race.
  • On Tuesday they said "i love having the bus to myself and the empty streets are so nice and calming"
  • Today... "ALSO how am i supposed to keep my distance now that the bus is a lot more busy do you want us to get sick or".....
  • Whilst yesterday they said (possibly about their own role) "people who work in customer service don't get enough appreciation !!!!!"
Even with today's outburst (and there was more) was handled professionally by First's CSR.

First's CS team IS answering very clearly.

Yeah it's as good as they've been since I paid any attention to First's Twitter. That's the danger with social media. People handle stress so differently so that causes unneccessary reaction and then there's also the idiots out there

PaulMc7

Established Member
I will say one thing I'm surprised by with the newest timetables and that's the 1/1A/1C having more recovery time than the normal timetable at both ends. 1B doesn't really have any either so it's a surprise seeing the rest of them get very generous recovery time.

Having read a few more timetables I'm surprised any services have a recovery time of more than 5/6 mins with how dead the roads are etc. Any particular reason for this?

Last edited:

smtglasgow

One thing that has surprised me is how the reduced services are still using the normal Mon-Fri running times. I guess it’s just a sign of how quickly they had to rewrite the schedules, but they could easily save on the PVR by using the evening running times all day.

And on the subject of services, I think the special service Lothian are running should be the template for what First end up with. No need for anything more than 30 min service during the day and hourly at night. As long as the key workers can get to their work and the car-less can shop that’s all that’s needed.

PaulMc7

Established Member
One thing that has surprised me is how the reduced services are still using the normal Mon-Fri running times. I guess it’s just a sign of how quickly they had to rewrite the schedules, but they could easily save on the PVR by using the evening running times all day.

And on the subject of services, I think the special service Lothian are running should be the template for what First end up with. No need for anything more than 30 min service during the day and hourly at night. As long as the key workers can get to their work and the car-less can shop that’s all that’s needed.

Fully agree with this. Anything more than every 30 mins is really overkill and tbh every 45 on a lot of services would probably work. The Royal Infirmary still has a 38 variant every 10 mins currently despite being hourly for the letter variants. Reducing PVR and getting as many services onto the most efficient buses is the next step I think we will see although very dependent on the effects of the current reductions on how busy services are.

I do think as well that this week would have been far harder to get right as it's the first major decline in everything and the seriousness of the situation has hit a lot more people and businesses so the drop in passengers has been most severe. There would have been no preparation for anything really

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
We shouldn’t be persuading people to use buses if they don’t have to END OF. You seem not to have grasped how serious this is.

Also the bus companies don’t need feedback from twitter, they know exactly when people have used buses by looking at ticket machine data.

Agree with everything you're saying except that the accuracy of ticket machine data on the whole (especially at First) is questionable and gives limited insight at best. All it can really tell you is how many people got on a bus on each trip and where they got on.

Not directly relating to your comment but the data is questionable especially when it comes to service changes, i've never understood First's argument that changes can be based on ticket machine data given that often drivers don't put in the correct fare stage and with non-single ticket users First are only able to see the board point and not the alight point. Clearly First are well aware of this too as they still often send out inspectors with a clipboard to note down passenger numbers on certain corridors whenever there's service changes in the planning!

Jordan Adam

Established Member

I think you answered your own question, the reason running times have not been reduce is due to how short notice all of this has been. As Andrew Jarvis said himself the other day, even 2-3 weeks ago they had no idea that by the end of the month (March) they'd be running a heavily reduced service.

lastbus

I will say one thing I'm surprised by with the newest timetables and that's the 1/1A/1C having more recovery time than the normal timetable at both ends. 1B doesn't really have any either so it's a surprise seeing the rest of them get very generous recovery time.

Having read a few more timetables I'm surprised any services have a recovery time of more than 5/6 mins with how dead the roads are etc. Any particular reason for this?

The recovery time is greater due to the reduced frequency the service is operating.

I think you answered your own question, the reason running times have not been reduce is due to how short notice all of this has been. As Andrew Jarvis said himself the other day, even 2-3 weeks ago they had no idea that by the end of the month (March) they'd be running a heavily reduced service.
More changes next week which will include reduced running times.

overthewater

Established Member
I can see Glasgow going to core routes only with 30min headway to Hospitals and majoy employers only. I doubt anyone is going to the city centre, however of course BIG supermarkets are at fort and breahead ( M&S food hall and Poundland are right next to the bus stations)

Seems to be quite common for now. With sightings on the 2 and 60.

Quite obviously not as many needed for the 38 with the current timetables.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I can see Glasgow going to core routes only with 30min headway to Hospitals and majoy employers only. I doubt anyone is going to the city centre, however of course BIG supermarkets are at fort and breahead ( M&S food hall and Poundland are right next to the bus stations)

Fully agree with this. Any picture I've seen of the city centre has no people in it and I don't think anything needs to operate above every 30 mins

lastbus

There was a 241 branded E200 on the 240 this afternoon as well.
Like all depots Overtown’s fleet has been temporarily reduced so branded buses from Overtown will appear on all routes. Also 3 240 branded buses are away on loan to Scotstoun.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'm guessing the next changes will be Monday? I know there's some in Stirling already for then. Will be interesting to see just how reduced things get

PaulMc7

Established Member
31 now not serving EK apart from SPT services. Hope this dosent become permenant.

4 is serving Eaglesham and Mearns , not clear what the route is though

Depending on how long this situation goes I think a lot of services could be really under threat. With the 4 there's a route listed but I'm still trying to picture it in my head

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
31 now not serving EK apart from SPT services. Hope this dosent become permenant.

4 is serving Eaglesham and Mearns , not clear what the route is though

4A and X4 suspended. Does that mean Knightswood is left without services into Glagow City Centre? Surprised they haven't put the 4 back to what is what even if on a temporary basis.

PaulMc7

Established Member
4A and X4 suspended. Does that mean Knightswood is left without services into Glagow City Centre? Surprised they haven't put the 4 back to what is what even if on a temporary basis.

Basically if you stay in Knightswood it's only the train from Westerton into the city centre. The X4 has been pretty average since it was first brought into service too. Going back to the old 4/4A setup would be a good option

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
For now. No one knows the effect this will have long term.

Who knows... now may be the perfect chance to start looking at the network as a whole. Everything is so uncertain atm. We are all being urged to stay indoors hence why services are being scaled back, however I genuinely believe that they could be looking at certain services and trying to determine whether they are completely necessary.

I think scaling back would benefit the network a lot. For example are routes like the X2 and X4 really necessary? Could we be putting deckers on routes that are currently singles and be adjusting frequency. I don’t think that’s a bad idea. Especially with LEZ coming up in 2022 (only 2 years away). It could also help get rid of someone of the old stock in Glasgow. It’s been nice to see all euro 6 stock out and about and no smelly eclipses.

38A-Z

Depending on how long this situation goes I think a lot of services could be really under threat. With the 4 there's a route listed but I'm still trying to picture it in my head

I agree, the 4 route is not clear. Says the 4A is suspended and the 4 terminating at Eaglesham.
Looking at the timetable, it’s actually going to be numbered as 4A rather than the 4. (Presumably as it’s now terminating at Eaglesham). It’s definitely not clear on the main description though.

It looks like it’s doing Clarkston, Mearns Rd, (4 route) then Broom Rd East, Waterfoot Rd, then Glasgow Rd to Eaglesham. (4A). But all numbered 4A.

If that’s right, it’s missing out the
(4)Mearns Rd/ Waterfoot Rd to Mearns X and the Ayr Rd terminus.
(4A) also missing out Clarkston Toll to Waterfoot Rd..

Quite a good merge of services as in the Mearns/ Broom to the 4’s terminus, it’s an affluent area so probably not too much of a loss, the 6 covers some of the 4A loss between Clarkston Toll and Waterfoot (although may be a longer walk for some) but again, it’s a fairly affluent area so unlikely to impact too many. For many in the upper part of Mearns, again a bit of an extra walk but the 38 will be running on Ayr Rd.

This isn’t fact, just what I think it looks like based on the timetable!

route101

Established Member
I agree, the 4 route is not clear. Says the 4A is suspended and the 4 terminating at Eaglesham.
Looking at the timetable, it’s actually going to be numbered as 4A rather than the 4. (Presumably as it’s now terminating at Eaglesham). It’s definitely not clear on the main description though.

It looks like it’s doing Clarkston, Mearns Rd, (4 route) then Broom Rd East, Waterfoot Rd, then Glasgow Rd to Eaglesham. (4A). But all numbered 4A.

If that’s right, it’s missing out the
(4)Mearns Rd/ Waterfoot Rd to Mearns X and the Ayr Rd terminus.
(4A) also missing out Clarkston Toll to Waterfoot Rd..

Quite a good merge of services as in the Mearns/ Broom to the 4’s terminus, it’s an affluent area so probably not too much of a loss, the 6 covers some of the 4A loss between Clarkston Toll and Waterfoot (although may be a longer walk for some) but again, it’s a fairly affluent area so unlikely to impact too many. For many in the upper part of Mearns, again a bit of an extra walk but the 38 will be running on Ayr Rd.

This isn’t fact, just what I think it looks like based on the timetable!

Yeah , ive noticed less people using the 4 of late . Does have a quicker route out of town and still busy at peaks. think the people that were using are now using the train.

route101

Established Member
Who knows... now may be the perfect chance to start looking at the network as a whole. Everything is so uncertain atm. We are all being urged to stay indoors hence why services are being scaled back, however I genuinely believe that they could be looking at certain services and trying to determine whether they are completely necessary.

I think scaling back would benefit the network a lot. For example are routes like the X2 and X4 really necessary? Could we be putting deckers on routes that are currently singles and be adjusting frequency. I don’t think that’s a bad idea. Especially with LEZ coming up in 2022 (only 2 years away). It could also help get rid of someone of the old stock in Glasgow. It’s been nice to see all euro 6 stock out and about and no smelly eclipses.

With the LEZ i do think its good idea with less singles and more deckers , look at the 2 and 3. I thinl doubles may be costlier to operate though.

PaulMc7

Established Member

The X2 especially seemed like such a waste and the fact it doesn't even go to the Asda in Robroyston was always strange too. Most I'd ever seen on it was 6 passengers even at peaks out of the city centre. The X4 is a good idea for peaks but as I said earlier yesterday the 4/4A route of before was a way better set up. I think there could be a lot of merging of routes going forward to cut back some services. The other one I've noticed that I quite like is the 38B/E merge. It wouldn't be a big loss for Edinburgh Road to lose the 38E completely as the 38 is close enough and then the 38B and 41 are too at certain points. Should definitely lead to a more effiency focused network once we get out of this anyway as they try to cover the damage this situation has caused