• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
I agree, the 4 route is not clear. Says the 4A is suspended and the 4 terminating at Eaglesham.
Looking at the timetable, it’s actually going to be numbered as 4A rather than the 4. (Presumably as it’s now terminating at Eaglesham). It’s definitely not clear on the main description though.

It looks like it’s doing Clarkston, Mearns Rd, (4 route) then Broom Rd East, Waterfoot Rd, then Glasgow Rd to Eaglesham. (4A). But all numbered 4A.

If that’s right, it’s missing out the
(4)Mearns Rd/ Waterfoot Rd to Mearns X and the Ayr Rd terminus.
(4A) also missing out Clarkston Toll to Waterfoot Rd..

Quite a good merge of services as in the Mearns/ Broom to the 4’s terminus, it’s an affluent area so probably not too much of a loss, the 6 covers some of the 4A loss between Clarkston Toll and Waterfoot (although may be a longer walk for some) but again, it’s a fairly affluent area so unlikely to impact too many. For many in the upper part of Mearns, again a bit of an extra walk but the 38 will be running on Ayr Rd.

This isn’t fact, just what I think it looks like based on the timetable!

Yeah I agree with what you've said. I've got the 4 into Mearns Cross a few times and from Clarkston onwards it was rarely busy. Same with the 4A into Eaglesham. It's maybe a way forward in the future to have a local service covering the routes of both the 4 and 4A from Clarkston to Newton Mearns/Eaglesham and have the 4 run Clarkston to Knightswood again and take the X4 off except peaks. Even every 30 mins with a 20 min frequency at peak would be enough for the 4 from what I've seen of it in recent years

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Voyager lad

A change I’ve been quite shocked about is the cutting of the 89, especially the 89A. This leaves Torrance with only the peak time and evening SPT 71/A services for Bishopbriggs and the retail park, and the 47/A during the day to Kirkintilloch and Milngavie. Having the 88 through Gallowhill, Hillhead and Harestanes down to hourly as well might not be the best idea, as I live on this route and since it’s gone to half hourly it’s been fairly busy at all points on the route.

PaulMc7

Established Member
A change I’ve been quite shocked about is the cutting of the 89, especially the 89A. This leaves Torrance with only the peak time and evening SPT 71/A services for Bishopbriggs and the retail park, and the 47/A during the day to Kirkintilloch and Milngavie. Having the 88 through Gallowhill, Hillhead and Harestanes down to hourly as well might not be the best idea, as I live on this route and since it’s gone to half hourly it’s been fairly busy at all points on the route.

I'm surprised they never had the 88C run into Torrance on the route towards Kirkintilloch and Bishopbriggs in each direction. Would only have added 7/8 mins in total really

PaulMc7

Established Member
I was trying to think of ways the network could be made more efficient going forward with route merges etc. Got a few really.

1B- Glasgow to Dumbarton only and extend every 2nd 206 to Helensburgh
X2- Axe completely and extend 87 to Robroyston Asda via Glendale and Briarcroft
3-Run Drumchapel to Silverburn and have a new service between Govan and Silverburn
X4- Peak only

4/4A-Knightswood to Clarkston only every 20 mins with a new service covering Newton Mearns to Eaglesham via Clarkston to cover the current sections of the 4/4A between Clarkston and Eaglesham and Newton Mearns
6-Run Scotstoun West to East Kilbride bus station only with a new service covering Calderwood to EK bus station. The 1s and 2s do enough into Clydebank to cover the 6 there
8-Cut section between Partick and QEUH as covered by 77 already and 16

34-Remove and apply current Sunday route permanently
38C-Remove and run a 32A from Parkhead to Chryston to allow connection with 38 at Alexandra Parade
38E-Remove and reroute 38B beyond Barlanark to Baillieston permanently
60A- Curtail at top of Hope St and provide a new service between Milngavie and City Centre
89A-Remove and reroute 89 through Torrance and then via Glasgow Road

90-Terminate at QEUH instead of Braehead as the 77 covers that connection
255-Remove Powburn Toll short workings

I'd love to hear any ideas others have on this. I also think frequencies could be cut in some services if they were more reliable.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 38E is a fast route into town/GRI. I’d say quicker than the 2 so rerouting it through Barlanark etc does it no favours. IMO I’d axe the 38B it’s never busy throughout the Barlanark, Springboig section anyway. The 41 already goes through Carntyne etc and they’ve got the 38E which is already nearby on Edinburgh Road or the 41, 60/60A to get into town.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 38E is a fast route into town/GRI. I’d say quicker than the 2 so rerouting it through Barlanark etc does it no favours. IMO I’d axe the 38B it’s never busy throughout the Barlanark, Springboig section anyway. The 41 already goes through Carntyne etc and they’ve got the 38E which is already nearby on Edinburgh Road or the 41, 60/60A to get into town.

Yeah the 2 is a drag into town from Baillieston yet it's always so much busier than the 38E from what I've experienced hence that suggestion I made. Leaving Greenfield with only the 46 wouldn't go down well either although it would allow others to get it to other services. It's a situation I really don't envy bus companies in anyway.

That's also why I said to axe the 38E too as it's close to everything else like the other 38s and 41s etc

Voyager lad

I'm surprised they never had the 88C run into Torrance on the route towards Kirkintilloch and Bishopbriggs in each direction. Would only have added 7/8 mins in total really
That would’ve made more sense. Even in future having the 89 routed via Torrance then on to Kirkintilloch and Kilsyth or extending the 89A on to Kirkintilloch and then out to Waterside potentially, or even Twechar to replace the 84.

PaulMc7

Established Member
That would’ve made more sense. Even in future having the 89 routed via Torrance then on to Kirkintilloch and Kilsyth or extending the 89A on to Kirkintilloch and then out to Waterside potentially, or even Twechar to replace the 84.

Yeah there's plenty of options given how small Torrance is

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I was supposed to be in Glasgow this week but for obvious reasons I've had to postpone. When it's safe to travel again, I'd quite like to do a couple of bus routes, as I've only ever been down Buchanan Street, St George's Square and to the art gallery in Kelvingrove.

I'd quite like to incorporate a couple of rail journeys and bus journeys, for example the train out to East Kilbride and then return on the 6. Or the train out to Clydebank and return on the 60. Or 75 to Castlemilk, 34 to Govan and 3 back into town. Any recommendations?

Also, what vehicles are usually on what routes? I know the 38, 75 and the 77 (and the Airport bus) have got the branded Enviro 400s, 1/2/3 is usually Enviro 300s, are the Presidents/Tridents still out and about or no? What tends to be the allocation for the 5, 34 and 60? Don't particular fancy cooking away on a Enviro 200MMC on the 201 or 240!

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you!

duffers2324

i probably agree with the idea of the 1B services being terminated in Dumbarton and 206's to Helensburgh, as regards to the X2 they already tried this run before and it didn't work out as the X81, cant quite remember if that was peak only or not but at the time it obviously still had the 19A running as well so i dont understand why they tried it again,

so in summary heres some of the changes i might make

1,A,B,C,D,E- Leave 1 and 1A as is 1B terminates in Dumbarton, 1C keep as is , 1D Clydebank to Mountblow only, 1E Withdrawn
2-Leave as is although try and get some more deckers onto the route if possible
3-Change frequency to every 15 minutes as it shares a lot of common sections with other routes apart from maybe at Cardonald-Govan end
4,4A-Change frequency to every 30 minutes and keep as is, 4A I would run these as the short variations from Clarkston to Broomhill also at every 30 minutes therefore giving an every 15 minutes frequency on common sections of route
5-Change frequency to 15 minutes but keep as is
6,A-Revise route to operate between Clydebank Bus Station and East Kilbride bus Station via current route and change frequency to every 12 minutes, 6A revised frequency at every 12 minutes and new terminus in Drumchapel at Peel Glen Road via current route
7,A-Keep 7 at every 10 minutes but Withdraw the 7A
8-Revise route to operate between Robroyston Asda and Partick only via current route with no change to frequency
9,A-Keep as is
10-Keep as is
11-NEW Service-Operating between Robroyston Briarcroft and Clydebank via Royston Rd, City Centre, Charing Cross, University, Broomhill, Jordanhill, Knightswood, Yoker, Clydebank with a 30 minute frequency
16-Withdrawn
18-Keep as is
19,A-revert back to every 30 minutes frequency between Easterhouse and City Centre and withdraw the 19A replaced by new service 11, every 15 minutes between Royston-City Centre with new service 11
21-Withdraw the short Cathkin runs and operate to East Kilbride fully at every 30 minutes, no change to route
29,129-Withdrawn
31-Keep as is
32-Keep as is
33-New Service operating between Gartcosh and City Centre via Chryston, Stepps, Riddrie and City Centre operating every 30 minutes
34,A-Change frequency to every 12 minutes (Every 6 minutes on common sections)
38,A,B,C,E-Run all journeys from Glasgow Fort as 38 or 38A, 38 operating between Glasgow Fort to Newton Mearns via current route, 38A operating from Glasgow Fort to Woodfarm via Eastwood Toll, returning journeys would remain as is apart from the 38C which would be replaced by new service 33,
41-No change to frequency but revised route to serve Greenfield via Cartynehall Rd, Torphin Cres, Greenfield Avenue and Springboig Rd before continuing current route
43-revised to operate between City Centre and Easterhouse via Bridgeton, Parkhead Cross, Shettleston and Barlanark, Peak time only
46-Keep as is
57,A-Keep as is
60,A-Keep as is
61-Keep as is
64-Withdraw
65-No change to frequency but revised route between Cambuslang and Westburn to partly replace service 7A
75-No Change
77-No Change
81-Reduce frequency to every 15 minutes
84-NEW Service operating between Partick and Old Kilpatrick via Thornwood, Broomhill, Kelvindale, Anniesland, Knightswood, Blairdardie, Drumry, Clydebank, Dalmuir and Old Kilpatrick operating every 60 minutes
87-Leave as is
88-No Change, withdraw 88C
89,A,B-Withdraw the short Bishopbriggs runs and operate every 30 minutes to Torrance and every 30 minutes to Kilsyth (Every 15 minutes on common sections)
90-No change to frequency but revised route to operate between Partick and QUEH only
X2-Withdrawn
X3-Withdrawn (Alternative services on FSE)
X4-revised frequency every 30 minutes
X8-No Change
X78-Withdraw

I know its long but these are just my thoughts

PaulMc7

Established Member
I agree with the majority of this tbh.

Wouldn't withdraw the X3 though as there's a lot of house building going on in Moodiesburn and it's a fairly busy service at times even outside of peaks

Pretty sure the 29/129 is SPT ran too

If the 64 goes then Carmyle would also have no bus too

PaulMc7

Established Member
Mcgills and First are accepting each other's tickets on the 9A and 38 from Sunday. Explains why the 9 was axed then

Stan Drews

Established Member
Mcgills and First are accepting each other's tickets on the 9A and 38 from Sunday. Explains why the 9 was axed then
I think the lack of passengers, and substantial losses will actually explain why the 9 is being axed. Mutual ticket acceptance is a sensible alternative.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the lack of passengers, and substantial losses will actually explain why the 9 is being axed. Mutual ticket acceptance is a sensible alternative.

Yeah I think it's a combination of everything but I do like that companies are working together where possible

Bus Lightyear

i probably agree with the idea of the 1B services being terminated in Dumbarton and 206's to Helensburgh, as regards to the X2 they already tried this run before and it didn't work out as the X81, cant quite remember if that was peak only or not but at the time it obviously still had the 19A running as well so i dont understand why they tried it again,

1,A,B,C,D,E- Leave 1 and 1A as is 1B terminates in Dumbarton, 1C keep as is , 1D Clydebank to Mountblow only, 1E Withdrawn
3-Change frequency to every 15 minutes as it shares a lot of common sections with other routes apart from maybe at Cardonald-Govan end
4,4A-Change frequency to every 30 minutes and keep as is, 4A I would run these as the short variations from Clarkston to Broomhill also at every 30 minutes therefore giving an every 15 minutes frequency on common sections of route
6,A-Revise route to operate between Clydebank Bus Station and East Kilbride bus Station via current route and change frequency to every 12 minutes, 6A revised frequency at every 12 minutes and new terminus in Drumchapel at Peel Glen Road via current route
8-Revise route to operate between Robroyston Asda and Partick only via current route with no change to frequency
9,A-Keep as is
10-Keep as is
11-NEW Service-Operating between Robroyston Briarcroft and Clydebank via Royston Rd, City Centre, Charing Cross, University, Broomhill, Jordanhill, Knightswood, Yoker, Clydebank with a 30 minute frequency
16-Withdrawn
18-Keep as is
19,A-revert back to every 30 minutes frequency between Easterhouse and City Centre and withdraw the 19A replaced by new service 11, every 15 minutes between Royston-City Centre with new service 11
21-Withdraw the short Cathkin runs and operate to East Kilbride fully at every 30 minutes, no change to route
29,129-Withdrawn
31-Keep as is
32-Keep as is
33-New Service operating between Gartcosh and City Centre via Chryston, Stepps, Riddrie and City Centre operating every 30 minutes
38,A,B,C,E-Run all journeys from Glasgow Fort as 38 or 38A, 38 operating between Glasgow Fort to Newton Mearns via current route, 38A operating from Glasgow Fort to Woodfarm via Eastwood Toll, returning journeys would remain as is apart from the 38C which would be replaced by new service 33,
41-No change to frequency but revised route to serve Greenfield via Cartynehall Rd, Torphin Cres, Greenfield Avenue and Springboig Rd before continuing current route
43-revised to operate between City Centre and Easterhouse via Bridgeton, Parkhead Cross, Shettleston and Barlanark, Peak time only
46-Keep as is
57,A-Keep as is
60,A-Keep as is
61-Keep as is
64-Withdraw
65-No change to frequency but revised route between Cambuslang and Westburn to partly replace service 7A
75-No Change
77-No Change
84-NEW Service operating between Partick and Old Kilpatrick via Thornwood, Broomhill, Kelvindale, Anniesland, Knightswood, Blairdardie, Drumry, Clydebank, Dalmuir and Old Kilpatrick operating every 60 minutes
87-Leave as is
89,A,B-Withdraw the short Bishopbriggs runs and operate every 30 minutes to Torrance and every 30 minutes to Kilsyth (Every 15 minutes on common sections)
90-No change to frequency but revised route to operate between Partick and QUEH only
X2-Withdrawn
X8-No Change
X78-Withdraw

Do you have all necessary demographic and performance statistics to back up your ideas?

The 11 and 84 were axed years ago so what makes you think they'll be of any use in today's climate?

The X3 and 38C is the only service in some areas.

The 41 is absolutely fine going Edinburgh Road.

route101

Established Member
I was supposed to be in Glasgow this week but for obvious reasons I've had to postpone. When it's safe to travel again, I'd quite like to do a couple of bus routes, as I've only ever been down Buchanan Street, St George's Square and to the art gallery in Kelvingrove.

I'd quite like to incorporate a couple of rail journeys and bus journeys, for example the train out to East Kilbride and then return on the 6. Or the train out to Clydebank and return on the 60. Or 75 to Castlemilk, 34 to Govan and 3 back into town. Any recommendations?

Also, what vehicles are usually on what routes? I know the 38, 75 and the 77 (and the Airport bus) have got the branded Enviro 400s, 1/2/3 is usually Enviro 300s, are the Presidents/Tridents still out and about or no? What tends to be the allocation for the 5, 34 and 60? Don't particular fancy cooking away on a Enviro 200MMC on the 201 or 240!

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you!

The 6 is a good run to EK , see a bit of everything ,more varied than 18 or 21 . The 31 has a nice rural section, one of the few routes that driverscan use full beam at night .

18 has branded e400s too.

Theres few alx 400s still on 31, 19 and 46.
Theres one trident left in fleet.

5 is a mixture now, theyve put more singles on it now.

34 should be branded e200mmcs .

60 is a right mixture .

Albaman

Interesting to read of the various ideas for changes to the network in the future.

I am curious as to why both posters suggest the 6 should terminate at East Kilbride Bus Station instead of the existing terminus at Calderwood. During the consultation period prior to the introduction of the " Simplicity " changes, I suggested that on the 6 , between East Kilbride Bus Station and Calderwood, alternate buses could use the 21 route thereby providing an alternative direct service to Glasgow in place of the former 20 route. My suggestion did not even warrant an acknowledgement.

At present the 18 and 201 ( and the 21 up until the most recent change ) provide a service through East Kilbride Town Centre and therefore, can pick up passengers for the short( ish ) journeys both to and from the Town Centre , the numbers dependant on the time of day.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Interesting to read of the various ideas for changes to the network in the future.

I am curious as to why both posters suggest the 6 should terminate at East Kilbride Bus Station instead of the existing terminus at Calderwood. During the consultation period prior to the introduction of the " Simplicity " changes, I suggested that on the 6 , between East Kilbride Bus Station and Calderwood, alternate buses could use the 21 route thereby providing an alternative direct service to Glasgow in place of the former 20 route. My suggestion did not even warrant an acknowledgement.

At present the 18 and 201 ( and the 21 up until the most recent change ) provide a service through East Kilbride Town Centre and therefore, can pick up passengers for the short( ish ) journeys both to and from the Town Centre , the numbers dependant on the time of day.

For me, it was the route length of the 6 that made me think about cutting it to help improve reliability. I've seen the 6 fairly busy at times beyond the bus station so that's why I suggested putting in something new to cover that part though. Even if it was every 20 mins instead of 10 it would still be okay I think.

I've also seen fair loads from the terminus at Calderwood and a preference of the 6 over the 21 even to the town centre from Maxwellton Road too as the 6 is a bit quicker

Last edited:

38A-Z

For me, it was the route length of the 6 that made me think about cutting it to help improve reliability. I've seen the 6 fairly busy at times beyond the bus station so that's why I suggested putting in something new to cover that part though. Even if it was every 20 mins instead of 10 it would still be okay I think.

I've also seen fair loads from the terminus at Calderwood and a preference of the 6 over the 21 even to the town centre from Maxwellton Road too as the 6 is a bit quicker

When the low height E400s were brought in (11/61 plate) the 66 was reduced from 10 mins frequency (10 tri-axle doubles and the rest single deckers) to 12 mins. When Simplicity started, the 6 went back to every 10 mins but that’s resulted in a mix of single and double decks being used.

I know others have mentioned this previously, I think splitting the route would be good and help with reliability.

Calderwood to BBS - every 12 mins but using the low height E400s so fully double decker.

This would free up the rest of the low heights which could be used on other services. Means the 6 from Clydebank would interwork with the 6A and terminate in the city.

duffers2324

I didn't ever say or claim i had any of the demographic or performance data at all as i said these are just my ideas as i mentioned there is alternatives for the X3 or at a push keep it but then terminate at Moodiesburn Devro again like the old 36, things may have changed enough for some of these old services to be viable now but then again maybe not, also in the past made suggestion of Milton-Knightswood via Saracen Cross, City Centre, Charing Cross, University, Broomhill, Jordanhill and Knightswood but again that was sort of shot down, again as i say the idea the likes of the idea with the 41 is to try and think a little bit outside the box where it maybe could serve a little bit more of the area but without hindering too much in terms of time etc,

What would your suggestions be once we have a sense of normality again?

38A-Z

9,A-Keep as is
10-Keep as is
16-Withdrawn
18-Keep as is
29,129-Withdrawn
31-Keep as is
32-Keep as is
46-Keep as is
57,A-Keep as is
60,A-Keep as is
61-Keep as is
64-Withdraw
75-No Change
77-No Change
87-Leave as is
X2-Withdrawn
X8-No Change
X78-Withdraw

I think the X81 was a normal service initially, then reduced to peak only then withdrawn.

The 3, southside, used to be the ‘23’ and ran every 15 mins with single deckers/ scanias, before being renumbered to the 3. I think the 3 has worked very well, Possibly every 12 mins would work but with deckers.

The 4- suggestions might work.

The 5- this is a busy one so probably best to leave it at 10 mins, at the very least, 12 mins frequency.

7A- quite a busy one at the Cambuslang/ Rutherglen side so wouldn’t cancel it. I do think they should run the 7 at every 15 mins though and let the 7a run itself and terminate at St Enoch.... although I do get how merging the 2 work with the Summerston side.

21- it’s definitely quieter than it used to be but could keep the Cathkin shorts running via Fernhill every 30 mins, inter working with the 65 at Fernhill, and still run the Gardenhall 21 every 30 mins using the Cathkin Relief Road so it doesn’t have to go the through Fernhill. Keeps it at 15 mins but speeds up the journey for people going from the city to EK.

34- not sure what your idea is on that one. It runs every 10 mins, Castlemilk to Govan, 3 to the QEUH and 3 to Govan BS so 6 an hour. It could do every 12 mins at full route and every 12 mins eg just the new Vicky hospital to Govan but I’m not sure if that’s what you meant?

experts

Good to see all the commercial experts out on force. 38B and 4 sensible changes in the current climate. I personally hope they keep the Baillieston going via Barlanark for what it’s worth, easy to say the 60 etc to through but totally different route.

Do you guys really think these things are hashed together with no figures? All careful consideration is taken on everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
The thing with the 6 I've always found that it's the reliability that's killed it especially in the west end of the city. I've used it quite a lot over the years and genuinely now if it was reliable you'd only need a bus every 15 mins not 10. It gets busy at peaks but outside of that towards Clydebank especially it's usually fairly dead past Anniesland.

I think the things First should focus on going forward are reliability, making services faster and direct and giving areas City Centre links that currently don't have them

Last edited:

Scott mac

I was trying to think of ways the network could be made more efficient going forward with route merges etc. Got a few really.

1B- Glasgow to Dumbarton only and extend every 2nd 206 to Helensburgh
X2- Axe completely and extend 87 to Robroyston Asda via Glendale and Briarcroft
3-Run Drumchapel to Silverburn and have a new service between Govan and Silverburn
X4- Peak only

4/4A-Knightswood to Clarkston only every 20 mins with a new service covering Newton Mearns to Eaglesham via Clarkston to cover the current sections of the 4/4A between Clarkston and Eaglesham and Newton Mearns
6-Run Scotstoun West to East Kilbride bus station only with a new service covering Calderwood to EK bus station. The 1s and 2s do enough into Clydebank to cover the 6 there
8-Cut section between Partick and QEUH as covered by 77 already and 16

34-Remove and apply current Sunday route permanently
38C-Remove and run a 32A from Parkhead to Chryston to allow connection with 38 at Alexandra Parade
38E-Remove and reroute 38B beyond Barlanark to Baillieston permanently
60A- Curtail at top of Hope St and provide a new service between Milngavie and City Centre
89A-Remove and reroute 89 through Torrance and then via Glasgow Road

90-Terminate at QEUH instead of Braehead as the 77 covers that connection
255-Remove Powburn Toll short workings

I'd love to hear any ideas others have on this. I also think frequencies could be cut in some services if they were more reliable.
You clearly don't know much about the 34/34a, very busy route and has new buses on it but you want to run a Sunday service on it all the time?

Madness

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
U clearly don't no much about the 34/34a very busy route and has new buses on it but u want to run a Sunday service on it all the time madness

I never said run a Sunday service all the time, I'm only talking about the route that the evening and Sunday services use

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 2 could be run with E400MMCs however they’ve always pushed for this route to be single deck operated for some reason. Deckers have made their way on to the 2/62 over the years but since the beginning of First this route has seen all singles mainly with deckers appearing occasionally. Surely it would be more economical and environmentally friendly to have deckers running at a lesser frequency than about 3 E300s turning up in a row with passengers darted between 3 buses in dribs and drabs all going to the same place. I’ve never understood that

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 2 could be run with E400MMCs however they’ve always pushed for this route to be single deck operated for some reason. Deckers have made their way on to the 2/62 over the years but since the beginning of First this route has seen all singles mainly with deckers appearing occasionally. Surely it would be more economical and environmentally friendly to have deckers running at a lesser frequency than about 3 E300s turning up in a row with passengers darted between 3 buses in dribs and drabs all going to the same place. I’ve never understood that

E400MMCs and an every 10 min frequency would work really well imo. Seems like the sensible thing to go with deckers on it. Could have done it with the 3 too. Every 12 mins on that with deckers would reduce PVR too

38A-Z

9,A-Keep as is
10-Keep as is
16-Withdrawn
18-Keep as is
29,129-Withdrawn
31-Keep as is
32-Keep as is
46-Keep as is
57,A-Keep as is
60,A-Keep as is
61-Keep as is
64-Withdraw
75-No Change
77-No Change
87-Leave as is
X2-Withdrawn
X8-No Change
X78-Withdraw

The 38s suggestion wouldn‘t work. If all 38s go via Eastwood Toll (12 buses an hour) then Woodfarm wouldn’t be served properly and Spiersbridge would not be served There’s no turning area in Woodfarm. Not all 38s go through Eastwood Toll.
It would take away a bus service from Spiersbridge.

The 38 is Fort to Eastwood Toll, every second bus continuing to Newton Mearns. All 6 per hour do Eastwood Toll but 3 of them continue to Mearns.

38 B/C/E all go via Woodfarm to Spiersbridge.

‘38A’ is only used when a bus runs to either Spiersbridge/ Woodfarm or at night, it’s Mearns via Woodfarm. Any letter after the 38 means it will run through Woodfarm.
eg if a service leaves Easterhouse at 5pm and will be terminating at Spiersbridge, (would normally a 38 as leaving Easterhouse) it will be 38A, so people know it won’t be going to Eastwood Toll.
if a night service is a 38A to Newton Mearns , it will do the usual route until Orchard Dv and go through Woodfarm and then do Ayr Rd to Mearns.

The 38 has done well. Very rarely gets reduced service, (present situation excluded). Going back a bit, used to be Darts to Eastwood Toll and the 138 half hourly to Mearns via Woodfarm...... going back a few years now.... Ailsas on the 138.

Anyways, back to 2020, can’t have all 38s running to Eastwood Toll.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The 38s suggestion wouldn‘t work. If all 38s go via Eastwood Toll (12 buses an hour) then Woodfarm wouldn’t be served properly and Spiersbridge would not be served There’s no turning area in Woodfarm. Not all 38s go through Eastwood Toll.
It would take away a bus service from Spiersbridge.

The 38 is Fort to Eastwood Toll, every second bus continuing to Newton Mearns. All 6 per hour do Eastwood Toll but 3 of them continue to Mearns.

38 B/C/E all go via Woodfarm to Spiersbridge.

‘38A’ is only used when a bus runs to either Spiersbridge/ Woodfarm or at night, it’s Mearns via Woodfarm. Any letter after the 38 means it will run through Woodfarm.
eg if a service leaves Easterhouse at 5pm and will be terminating at Spiersbridge, (would normally a 38 as leaving Easterhouse) it will be 38A, so people know it won’t be going to Eastwood Toll.
if a night service is a 38A to Newton Mearns , it will do the usual route until Orchard Dv and go through Woodfarm and then do Ayr Rd to Mearns.

The 38 has done well. Very rarely gets reduced service, (present situation excluded). Going back a bit, used to be Darts to Eastwood Toll and the 138 half hourly to Mearns via Woodfarm...... going back a few years now.... Ailsas on the 138.

Anyways, back to 2020, can’t have all 38s running to Eastwood Toll.

I remember the branded darts on the 38. So odd when you think back now. It would never survive now with single deck operation!

I recall for a short time the 213 going from Bargeddie to Eastwood Toll, then they shorted it to Glasgow BBS. They couldn’t really make up their minds where they wanted the 213 to go. Also at that time it was run with red Leyland Tigers!!

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 38 has been some success story tbh and one that's not as mentioned compared to the 1s and 77. In a time where bus use has went down continually that's went up considerably. Between Giffnock/Alexandra Parade you rarely get a quiet 38. Reliability is horrendous but that's about the only bad thing about it