• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Busman84

When the 38 ran with Darts all these years back you also had more services running/buses per hour along a fair bit of its route. The 138 ran beside it and you also had the 36,42,213 running along the Parade too. Then Southside you had the 23,45,47,48,57,138 and City Sprinter. The 38 ran every 5 minutes back then Eastwood Toll to Gatharmlock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
Re Woodfarm: Buses turned there for years, and as far as I know, the road layout is still the same.

Harvey10

I just wished first would extend service 9 back to Linwood, McGills service 7 seems to carry decent loads.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think if First were ever to break back beyond Paisley they'd need to have more than one service in the area. If every other option is a Mcgills bus it's hard to see many using it. Would need to be a completely new section of a deep network through Barrhead, Paisley, Erskine, Renfrew and Johnstone at the very least and that's unlikely

R 19

i probably agree with the idea of the 1B services being terminated in Dumbarton and 206's to Helensburgh, as regards to the X2 they already tried this run before and it didn't work out as the X81, cant quite remember if that was peak only or not but at the time it obviously still had the 19A running as well so i dont understand why they tried it again,

so in summary heres some of the changes i might make

1,A,B,C,D,E- Leave 1 and 1A as is 1B terminates in Dumbarton, 1C keep as is , 1D Clydebank to Mountblow only, 1E Withdrawn
2-Leave as is although try and get some more deckers onto the route if possible
3-Change frequency to every 15 minutes as it shares a lot of common sections with other routes apart from maybe at Cardonald-Govan end
4,4A-Change frequency to every 30 minutes and keep as is, 4A I would run these as the short variations from Clarkston to Broomhill also at every 30 minutes therefore giving an every 15 minutes frequency on common sections of route
5-Change frequency to 15 minutes but keep as is
6,A-Revise route to operate between Clydebank Bus Station and East Kilbride bus Station via current route and change frequency to every 12 minutes, 6A revised frequency at every 12 minutes and new terminus in Drumchapel at Peel Glen Road via current route
7,A-Keep 7 at every 10 minutes but Withdraw the 7A
8-Revise route to operate between Robroyston Asda and Partick only via current route with no change to frequency
9,A-Keep as is
10-Keep as is
11-NEW Service-Operating between Robroyston Briarcroft and Clydebank via Royston Rd, City Centre, Charing Cross, University, Broomhill, Jordanhill, Knightswood, Yoker, Clydebank with a 30 minute frequency
16-Withdrawn
18-Keep as is
19,A-revert back to every 30 minutes frequency between Easterhouse and City Centre and withdraw the 19A replaced by new service 11, every 15 minutes between Royston-City Centre with new service 11
21-Withdraw the short Cathkin runs and operate to East Kilbride fully at every 30 minutes, no change to route
29,129-Withdrawn
31-Keep as is
32-Keep as is
33-New Service operating between Gartcosh and City Centre via Chryston, Stepps, Riddrie and City Centre operating every 30 minutes
34,A-Change frequency to every 12 minutes (Every 6 minutes on common sections)
38,A,B,C,E-Run all journeys from Glasgow Fort as 38 or 38A, 38 operating between Glasgow Fort to Newton Mearns via current route, 38A operating from Glasgow Fort to Woodfarm via Eastwood Toll, returning journeys would remain as is apart from the 38C which would be replaced by new service 33,
41-No change to frequency but revised route to serve Greenfield via Cartynehall Rd, Torphin Cres, Greenfield Avenue and Springboig Rd before continuing current route
43-revised to operate between City Centre and Easterhouse via Bridgeton, Parkhead Cross, Shettleston and Barlanark, Peak time only
46-Keep as is
57,A-Keep as is
60,A-Keep as is
61-Keep as is
64-Withdraw
65-No change to frequency but revised route between Cambuslang and Westburn to partly replace service 7A
75-No Change
77-No Change
81-Reduce frequency to every 15 minutes
84-NEW Service operating between Partick and Old Kilpatrick via Thornwood, Broomhill, Kelvindale, Anniesland, Knightswood, Blairdardie, Drumry, Clydebank, Dalmuir and Old Kilpatrick operating every 60 minutes
87-Leave as is
88-No Change, withdraw 88C
89,A,B-Withdraw the short Bishopbriggs runs and operate every 30 minutes to Torrance and every 30 minutes to Kilsyth (Every 15 minutes on common sections)
90-No change to frequency but revised route to operate between Partick and QUEH only
X2-Withdrawn
X3-Withdrawn (Alternative services on FSE)
X4-revised frequency every 30 minutes
X8-No Change
X78-Withdraw

I know its long but these are just my thoughts

Just want to make a comment on a couple of the routes I don't think the 88c should be withdrawn its good cover for the x85 and 89 and night/early morning I would withdraw the 88a the only part of the route it covers is mavis Valley, I also don't think having an additional bus to torrance would work the demand in torrance isn't very high I've been on buses that have left torrance empty.
As mentioned by others the x3 covers alot of areas other buses don't however at night I think they should replace it with a 38c which they do in the mornings could help as late night runs can often be empty.
Someone mentioned extending the 87 to robroyston asda another option would be to extend it to the new railway station. Open to any feedback

38A-Z

Re Woodfarm: Buses turned there for years, and as far as I know, the road layout is still the same.

Please can you explain how they do as I can see how they can? Many thanks

Hi Stan, you are right, 38s can turn at Woodfarm I think some still do at times early/ later in the day at Robslee Rd terminus. Sorry, I hadn’t copied in the post I was replying to.

My comment about Woodfarm was replying to someone’s idea about all 38s running via Eastwood Toll and then some going to Woodfarm as I’m not sure where they would turn to be able to go back via Eastwood Toll unless they use the current terminus, but then most of Woodfarm would be missed.

The 38 either terminates at Eastwood Toll or continues to Mearns via Eastwood Toll.

The 38 (a/b/c/e) go through all of Woodfarm, whether they terminate there or continue to Spiersbridge or, at night, they miss Spiersbridge and end at Newton Mearns.

If it was my post you were commenting on, my point was the 38s shouldn’t all be going via Eastwood Toll. It wasn’t about Woodfarm terminus.... again sorry for not copying in the post I was replying to.

On that note though, there was a time pre simplicity that they ran a 38A/ 38C which did a circular service, one to E/ Toll via Woodfarm and the other doing Woodfarm via ET. it didn’t last long though. With the length of the current 38s, I don’t think that would be a good idea....

38A-Z

Hi Stan, you are right, 38s can turn at Woodfarm I think some still do at times early/ later in the day at Robslee Rd terminus. Sorry, I hadn’t copied in the post I was replying to.

My comment about Woodfarm was replying to someone’s idea about all 38s running via Eastwood Toll and then some going to Woodfarm as I’m not sure where they would turn to be able to go back via Eastwood Toll unless they use the current terminus, but then most of Woodfarm would be missed.

The 38 either terminates at Eastwood Toll or continues to Mearns via Eastwood Toll.

The 38 (a/b/c/e) go through all of Woodfarm, whether they terminate there or continue to Spiersbridge or, at night, they miss Spiersbridge and end at Newton Mearns.

If it was my post you were commenting on, my point was the 38s shouldn’t all be going via Eastwood Toll. It wasn’t about Woodfarm terminus.... again sorry for not copying in the post I was replying to.

On that note though, there was a time pre simplicity that they ran a 38A/ 38C which did a circular service, one to E/ Toll via Woodfarm and the other doing Woodfarm via ET. it didn’t last long though. With the length of the current 38s, I don’t think that would be a good idea....

The above comments are only about buses running from the city to southside.

route101

Established Member
I remember the branded darts on the 38. So odd when you think back now. It would never survive now with single deck operation!

I recall for a short time the 213 going from Bargeddie to Eastwood Toll, then they shorted it to Glasgow BBS. They couldn’t really make up their minds where they wanted the 213 to go. Also at that time it was run with red Leyland Tigers!!

Didnt the 138 run to Bargeddie as well?

Yeah mind the darts , i think they were on the 5 to. 38 is frequent but see a lot bunching it . The last few months ive seen more geminis come back on the route.

route101

Established Member
E400MMCs and an every 10 min frequency would work really well imo. Seems like the sensible thing to go with deckers on it. Could have done it with the 3 too. Every 12 mins on that with deckers would reduce PVR too

Yes , deckers make sense.

NorthClyde320

Didnt the 138 run to Bargeddie as well?

Yeah mind the darts , i think they were on the 5 to. 38 is frequent but see a lot bunching it . The last few months ive seen more geminis come back on the route.

I don't recall the 138 ever going to Bargeddie i'm pretty sure it went from Newton Mearns to Robroyston via Woodfarm.

Prior to the Simplicity changes of 2013 Bargeddie always seemed to be a 13 or 213, I have an old timetable somewhere of when then old 203 Cambuslang (Cairns) to City had alternate journeys renumbered 213 and extended from the City out to Bargeddie, it ran as 203 Cambuslang (Cairns) to BBS evry 30 mins and 213 Cambuslang (Cairns) to Bargeddie (via City and not BBS) every 30 mins, meaning Cairns to City every 15 mins during the day, it didn't last long before it got split again.

Busman84

The 138 replaced the 51 (east end side) and went through Cranhill instead and went to Easterhouse Terminus where the 41,60 go today. The 213 was operated by Larkfield daytime only I think and basically a 38 coming from Southside would display Alexandra Park but change to a 213 at Oswald St. On way back 213 displayed City Centre and change to 38 last stop on Edinburgh Road. Larkfield didn't do the 213 for that long. Sure Motherwell did it aswell changing to a 203 at Bus Station. Cumbernauld also done it in later years with Parkhead doing peaks and SPT evening journeys..

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'm guessing by the fact the timetables that came into effect today being put into their normal timetable section on the website they don't plan to change things at such a rapid pace going forward? Also good to see that the timetable for the 2 early morning 38C journeys to/from Cumbernauld is there too as it hasn't been previously

NorthClyde320

Forgot about the 203 , did that run along the 263 route or 65 route?

It ran along the 65 route (Ballater St) but im sure latef in it's life it got rerouted between Bridgeton and the City via the 64/263 route then SPT introduced the 65 between Bridgeton and the City to replace the 203 via Ballater St.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
The 138 replaced the 51 (east end side) and went through Cranhill instead and went to Easterhouse Terminus where the 41,60 go today. The 213 was operated by Larkfield daytime only I think and basically a 38 coming from Southside would display Alexandra Park but change to a 213 at Oswald St. On way back 213 displayed City Centre and change to 38 last stop on Edinburgh Road. Larkfield didn't do the 213 for that long. Sure Motherwell did it aswell changing to a 203 at Bus Station. Cumbernauld also done it in later years with Parkhead doing peaks and SPT evening journeys..
It was the 139 it served: City Centre, Cranhill, Easterhouse, Swinton, Baliston.

Last edited by a moderator: